Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Prelude To Chaos ( Chapter 20 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 20
Prelude to Chaos
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
December 31, 2005
 
Knowing what was planned for later that evening, to prevent himself from becoming a nervous wreck, Ryo had buried himself in supervising all the tasks that needed to be completed before the party, along with making sure Dee did not push himself too much. Ryo felt Dee being on his feet most of the day would not be too bad, since he did fine enough pulling a full day at work, but only if the night was not going to be long. Unlike when they got home from work, Dee would not have the option of resting up, taking a nap, or going to bed early. Even with optimizing efficiency, he realized that the most Dee would have to at least relax, if not take a nap was only an hour before he had to start getting dressed before their guests started to arrive.
 
He hoped the evening would go by without finding out that they had chosen their friends wrongly. Dee had already agreed with Ryo, even if it was one of his childhood friends, that if anyone had a problem with them being a couple, or Dee being pregnant, they would be shown to the door.
 
Almost anyone. The one worry they both had admitted they had was Carol's aunt Elina. They had no idea how she would react to finding out that the two men she entrusted the care of her niece were lovers, one of them a pregnant carrier, and that Carol had known all the time. It was the fear of not having Carol around to look out after that they were concerned about. That, and if Bikky would lose his best friend. They did not want to see that happening, but soon enough they would have no choice but for Carol's aunt to find out.
 
The only other scene that Ryo could foresee would be JJ. The normally bouncy detective would not be happy at all, Ryo knew, upon getting confirmation on what Ryo started to believe JJ already suspected. About them being a couple. Ryo was certain, despite all the questions and concern about Dee's health and changes in his lifestyle, JJ still did not consider the possibility of Dee being pregnant. For one thing, Dee would have to be in the position to get pregnant, which most of their co-workers did not see Dee doing. He shuddered to think of the worst JJ could react upon further learning that they were getting married and Dee was pregnant. That could be a scene that Ryo hoped would never happen.
 
“Carol, want to give Dee a hand in the kitchen?” Ryo asked as he entered the living room, holding out the apron he had been wearing while in the kitchen. Bikky and Carol had been cleaning around the apartment since they returned from Carol's, while Ryo and Dee worked in the kitchen. “I'm going to grab Bikky and run up to Zabar's to pick up the party platters.”
 
“Sure Ryo.”
 
“Basically that means make sure he's off his feet in fifteen minutes. All the dishes and glasses we're using are washed and drying. Most of the stuff needing to be chopped is done. Casseroles and meatloaf goes start going into the oven in a half hour. He's finishing up on a few things right now, but should not take more than the half hour. Perhaps maybe another 15 more. There's a list on the fridge on the order they go into the oven. Once the first batch is in the oven, Dee shouldn't be worrying about anything for 45 minutes. Get him to watch a game in the living room, or a movie.”
 
Carol was nodding her head as Ryo rambled on. She hugged Ryo, smiling up at him. “Get outta here, Ryo and stop worrying yourself. That's not going to make Dee relax, you know. I'll handle him and you get a handle on yourself. Deal?”
 
Ryo sighed heavily, looking down at Carol, seeing teasing eyes staring up at him. “Fine. Deal. Thanks, Carol.” He called toward the kitchen, “Bikky, hurry up. I still need to run to some stores around here before the guests arrive.”
 
Bikky came from the kitchen, licking his fingers. Ryo's eyes went wide. “Bikky! Didn't I tell you not to keep sampling the cookie dough? What is Dee thinking?”
 
“Dee's thinking that he was stacking the platters on the table from the rinse basket and doesn't know.” He laughed. “You know he's suffering in there. Dee loves cookie dough too, and you're telling him to not to touch? I didn't know you can be so mean, Ryo.” Bikky laughed more as he went to get his coat from the coat rack near the front door.
 
Ryo shook his head, following Bikky to the door. He looked back at Carol. “Make sure Dee doesn't touch the cookie dough,” he insisted. He put on his coat, and grabbed his scarf, looking down to make sure Bikky was dressed warm enough for the weather before opening the door.
 
Bikky left, waving back to Carol. “See ya!” he called out. “Cold, Ryo. Really,” Bikky added as he left the apartment.
 
“Shut up, kiddo,” Ryo grumbled, playfully pushing Bikky ahead.
 
Carol chuckled, staring at the door, before heading into the kitchen to find Dee studying Ryo's schedule on the fridge, a dazed look on his face.
 
“Dee,” Carol called out.
 
“Hmm?” He turned to Carol. “What Princess.”
 
“The tyrant is gone,” she exclaimed with a giggle. “So long as you get some rest and don't look worn out by the time he returns, forget about that list.”
 
“But…” Dee started to protest, “there's some stuff Ryo added that I wouldn't have thought of. If it doesn't get done….”
 
“Dee, who's the expert at dealing with crowds?” Carol pointed out. “It's not Ryo. He's just putting his two cents in thinking it'll be good for you, rather than you doing everything. But it's not working. Get on your own schedule now, Dee.” She glanced around the kitchen. “Which I noticed still means you still have time to sit down and relax before doing anything else. So chill out, Dee.”
 
Letting out a sigh of frustration, Dee grabbed a small ball of cookie dough and started to eat it.
 
“Dee! If Ryo….”
 
Dee smiled at her, a glint in his eyes. He winked at her as he popped another pinch of the ball into his mouth. “Is not here. You said so yourself. So….” He stopped when he heard the doorbell. “Who can that be? Hang on, Princess.”
 
Carol giggled as Dee went to the door. “Maybe Ryo snuck back to make sure you're behaving.”
 
“Don't joke like that, Carol,” Dee called back.
 
He opened the door to find Elena and Rick, along with Danielle and Stefen. They were several hours early. Before any of the adults could open their mouths, Danielle launched herself at Dee. “Dee!” she greeted gleefully.
 
Dee lifted her with a laugh. “Well hello there, Dani.” He was aware of Rick glaring at him, despite his smile. The older man's watchful eyes caught that after being on his feet most of the day, busy with preparations, he could not help the slight wince from picking up the toddler. He knew Rick, and most probably Elena would give him an earful later when they had the chance.
 
“We come to help,” Danielle exclaimed happily, her little arms hugging Dee around his neck.
 
“Oh you did, did you?” He laughed, kissing the small girl's nose.
 
Rick came over and gently pried his daughter from Dee. “How's it going, Dee?” he greeted, holding his excited daughter, his knowing eyes studying Dee.
 
Dee started to say he was fine, considering the type of day he had so far, then glanced down at a tug on his pants. Stooping down, he greeted, “Hey Stefen. What's up, little guy?” He held out his hand for a high five.
 
Stefen laughed, placing his small hand against Dee's. “Momma says we'll be allowed to stay up late tonight.” His dark eyes glittered with excitement. “Really late.”
 
Dee tickled Stefen's stomach with a finger. “Well, first you have to not fall asleep. You think you can do that?”
 
“I won't, Dee.”
 
Dee grinned at him. “Right. Who likes to sleep a lot?”
 
Stefen raised his hand, laughing. “Me!”
 
Dee laughed along with Elena and Rick.
 
“Where's Bikky, Dee?” Stefen asked.
 
“Oh, he went shopping with cousin Ryo. But you can play in his room until then, if you like.”
 
“Okay, Dee.” He put his arms around Dee's neck.
 
Dee laughed as he pulled the boy for a hug.
 
“Momma?” Stefen asked, looking up at his mother. “Can I play in Bikky's room?”
 
“Sure, sweetie,” Elena replied, her eyes also on Dee. “Cousin Dee said it's okay.”
 
“Yay!” Stefen went running into the apartment, stopping when he saw Carol. “Carol!” he exclaimed, running to her.
 
“Carol, honey,” Rick called out. “Can you take Dani and Stefen into Bikky's room?”
 
“Yay! I want Cawo to wead story!” Dani exclaimed, clapping her tiny hands.
 
Rick put her down and the three adults watched her toddle her way over to Carol and Stefen.
 
“No problem, Rick,” Carol replied. “Dee, I see you're in good hands so I'll take care of the kiddies for a while.”
 
Dee stood up and immediately he had Elena guiding him to the living room, her arms around his arm. “You look frazzled, Dee. Why don't you rest a bit.”
 
“I can't,” he tried to protest. “I'm already behind….” He clamped his mouth shut.
 
Rick faced Dee, his arms folded with a stern look on his face. “Behind what, Dee?” he asked.
 
“Nothing.”
 
“Ryo!” Elena remarked, sharing a look with Rick. “I'm gonna give it to him when he gets home. See Rick, we were right in showing up early. While trying to get Dee to take it easy, Ryo is running the poor baby into the ground.”
 
“Yup. He sure is,” Rick agreed, nodding his head. “Where is it, Dee?”
 
“Where's what?” Dee asked, finding himself being pushed into the easy chair by Elena.
 
“Schedule,” Rick replied. “I know Ryo has one.”
 
Dee laughed, leaning back into the plush softness of the chair. “He's your nephew. You should know about a schedule. It's on the fridge.”
 
Elena bent over to touch Dee's cheek comfortingly. “Now don't you worry about a thing, Dee. I'll take care of the rest for this party of yours. If I know you and Ryo, there really isn't all that much left to do anyway. So I want you to relax. You're looking a little pale. You feelin' okay, sweetness?”
 
Dee nodded. “No sickness. Just stressed out,” he admitted, knowing he had no other choice but be truthful.
 
“I'll make you some tea then, fix you a snack, then Rick and I will handle everything. Including Ryo.”
 
“But….”
 
Elena flashed him a look. He never had learned the art of talking back to Elena and Rick the way Ryo had, but Ryo had many years of practice. Besides, Ryo really was their nephew. Dee felt lucky to be accepted and loved by the two. He gave in quickly with a sigh.
 
The look he received did remind him where Ryo got his glares of doom from. Supposedly, according to Elena, Frank MacLean had mastered it too.
 
Dee sighed, placing his hand on the slight swell of his abdomen, rubbing it gently. It was more for him than for the baby. He found it comforting and soothing. He had to admit he also enjoyed feeling the obvious sign that him and Ryo had created a little life. The habit was because of Ryo. Dee smiled inwardly, thinking of how he discovered the soothing effect. It worked fine enough when he did it, but not as well as when it was Ryo giving him what his partner called baby rubs.
 
Elena's glare at him was softer than her usual, just a mere warning that Aunt Elena was in charge now, and that he, her adopted nephew, was to sit quietly and allow her to dote over him.
 
“Fine. Whatever,” he mumbled, but gave her a small smile.
 
She nodded happily. “Good boy. We'll have you set up in a flash. Kick back and get your feet up. We don't want your ankles swelling already, do we?” she asked, helping him as he did as instructed. He reached for the lever to release the foot rest from the chair, while she moved the back down a little.
 
In what seemed a flash to Dee, she swept into the kitchen, Rick already waiting for her.
 
Still rubbing his stomach, he sighed again. If that MacLean tradition of glares passed onto their child, Dee realized it would be scary. Particularly since Dee had a few winning glares himself. He was not certain if they were passed down from his biological parents or not. He knew a few most definitely came from Mother.
 
With a gentle smile on his face, he closed his eyes until a short while later, Elena had set up a snack table next to the chair, placing a cup of tea, along with a light lunch for Dee.
 
 
Dee had awakened from dozing in the chair, feeling comfy and content after eating his snack and drifting off. As he got up from the chair, noting that the snack table had been removed already, he smiled. The little rest had done him a world of good. He felt much better, less stressed out, and ready to tackle on the world again.
 
He entered the kitchen, following the aroma of baking, to find everything was in order. Elena was sitting at the breakfast bar, sipping a glass of iced tea, reading one of the magazines Dee kept around the apartment, while Rick was no where in sight.
 
Realizing she did not notice him, Dee came up behind her. Grinning, he bent down to kiss her cheek. “I feel much better, pretty lady,” he said.
 
She jumped with a gasp, before turning. She tried to scowl at him, but ended up smiling when she saw him. “You must be. You're acting like your usual self,” she replied.
 
“Where's Rick?”
 
“He noticed the list you and Ryo had, and then noted when Ryo was planning to make the liquor run. Well, our boy is running late with his own schedule, so Rick left to take care of that. Hopefully when Ryo gets back, I can get him to chill out and stop stressing.”
 
Dee chuckled. “Good luck with that.”
 
“I would suggest something that would help you both,” Elena replied, grinning wickedly as Dee went to the fridge to take out some apple juice.
 
Dee noticed her look as he went to grab a glass. He placed glass and juice down on the counter. “I'm afraid to ask.”
 
Elena laughed. “You already know. So after I get at him, I suggest you do just that.”
 
“Elena,” Dee warned, but could not help chuckling. Instead of feeling uncomfortable, everything she did since she entered only made him feel accepted. It did not stop him from ducking his head for a moment. Long ago, shortly after he met Ryo's aunt, Dee had accepted that Elena knew how to embarrass him, but in a way that made him feel good. He had long started to be comfortable with it.
 
He looked around the kitchen again. “Uh, cookie dough? Where is it?”
 
“I put it in the fridge. I know that's Ryo's special recipe his mother taught him, and I also know better than to start making them for him,” she laughed.
 
“He wants to make them as part of the kiddie menu,” Dee explained, pouring his juice. “And promised me if I'm good, I can have a few myself.” He winked at her as he put away the juice, looking inside and noticing the bowl, now covered and waiting for Ryo's arrival. “Oh well, if he's late, I'll help out. I know he'll allow that, especially if I'm rested.”
 
“You're looking very rested Dee. You need to remember that even if you take time to kick back and close your eyes even for 10 minutes every few hours or so on a busy day, it will make a difference.”
 
“I think I kicked back for more than 10 minutes,” Dee mused, starting to sip his juice.
 
“More like an hour and a half. I'm glad that's such a comfortable chair,” Elena said.
 
Dee nodded. “That was one of the reasons we decided to buy it when we saw it. That, and we both fit in it perfectly.” He smiled sweetly at her.
 
“Aw, how cute. I just love you two to bits, sweetness.”
 
“Carol still with the kids?”
 
Elena nodded, taking a drink from her iced tea. “Yeah. Every now and then, I hear squeals of laughter, so it sounds like everyone is having a good time.”
 
“I'll go in and check on them, since everything seems to be in order here.” He started to walk out, holding onto his glass. “Besides, I owe Dani a story.”
 
“You're such a sucker for her, Dee,” Elena laughed.
 
“Yeah. And she knows it too,” Dee admitted with a goofy grin. “Well, I'll be in storytime if anyone needs me. And thank you again, Elena.” He stopped by her to kiss her cheek again. “In case Ryo doesn't say it, I will for the two of us. You're the world's greatest aunt.”
 
“You're quite the sweet talker,” she giggled. “And don't you ever stop.”
 
Dee winked at her and left the kitchen to head toward Bikky's room.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
Ryo entered the building in a foul mood, despite his attempts to keep it light for Bikky's sake. It was not his son's fault the rest of the world seemed determined to make everything go wrong for Ryo while they were out.
 
It was not an entirely bad time. Once Ryo realized there would be quite a wait for the catering counter at Zabar's to finish their order, instead of prowling along the inside of the store, making everyone jumpy with his impatience, he took Bikky to a café for lunch and ice cream. They talked about basketball, and school, then onto Dee, the baby and Bikky spreading the good news to his friends. Ryo questioned him during the time, and decided Bikky was ready to handle it, including those who did not think the news was good. He did not give Bikky a firm yes. He told the boy that he would talk to Dee and they would give him an answer before he went back to school from his winter break.
 
Bikky seemed to accept that, as he had started to accept Dee as much a part of his life as Ryo was when they filed for the adoption process.
 
The time with Bikky in the café kept Ryo from completely blowing up over how control seemed to be ripped from him at every turn he took. The plan was to take a cab home with the platters, which were stacked carefully in layered insulated padded cases that Ryo put down a good deposit until he returned them during the next week.
 
It took them almost 20 minutes before they managed to find an empty cab that was not off duty. By the time they entered the apartment, Ryo was far behind in his schedule. He still had to make the run to the liquor store, then after get what other assorted drinks they did not buy during the week. Dee had gone first thing in the morning for the chips and other assorted items they felt they still needed. He could not take Bikky along to the liquor store, and was contemplating to see if Dee looked if he was able to go along with him and help out. When they returned, he would grab Bikky again, maybe Carol to help with the other drinks.
 
For the most part, Bikky remained quiet on the way home. The type of quiet that assured Ryo that he understood and was there for adopted father. Something Ryo noticed appearing in Bikky in the last couple of years. His guess he had learned it from Dee and Ryo, the way they would silently supported the other when words would not work, and how they would handle Bikky at times. He realized just how good his and Dee's relationship had been for Bikky, and he was glad. He was certain that after marrying Dee and the baby was born, they would be closer as a family than they already were.
 
They got out of the elevator on their floor. As Bikky took out his keys to open the door to the hallway leading to their front door, he looked up at Ryo. Ryo found he could not help but smile fondly down at the boy.
 
“Bikky,” he said as Bikky turned the doorknob.
 
“What Ryo?”
 
“Thank you. For everything.”
 
“Aw shucks… Whatever, Ryo.” He quickly turned to open the door, juggling the cases he held.
 
“Mmm….” Ryo remarked, entering the living room. “It smells great in here, doesn't it?” he asked Bikky, who replied by nodding his head up and down.
 
Bikky raced across the living room to disappear in the kitchen. Ryo took a deep breath, reminding himself that it was not Dee's fault either that everything was going off schedule. If the aroma within the apartment was any indication, Dee had his end firmly under control.
 
He started across the living room when he heard squealing and laughter coming from the other side of the apartment, then Bikky's exclamation of, “Aunt Elena!”
 
Ryo quickened his pace to enter the kitchen to find his aunt alone in the kitchen, hugging Bikky.
 
“Elena,” Ryo huffed, dropping his cases onto the dining table in relief next to where Bikky had set the ones he carried. “What are you doing here so early?”
 
Elena came over to hug Ryo. She turned to look at Bikky, still with a grip on Ryo. “Bikky, as much fun as Stefen is having with Dee and Carol, he keeps asking when you will be home.”
 
“Oh, I'll go and say hello to the rugrat,” Bikky remarked with a chuckle. “And check if Dee needs to be untied.”
 
Ryo found himself chuckling. He noticed Bikky had picked up on one of Dee's favorite terms of affection for their son, and had recently started to use it on his younger cousin. “You mean if we need to untie Dee from Dani's little finger,” he corrected.
 
“Yeah, that too. Ya need me, give me a yell.” Bikky went through the dining area to the other side of the apartment. He heard voices, including Dee's, greet Bikky. It sounded like everyone was having a great time.
 
He turned to his aunt. “Elena, you shouldn't have felt you had to get here early.”
 
“Since when don't I?” she asked with a grin.
 
“Not this early.” He frowned. “Don't you think Dee and I can handle our own party?”
 
“Normally, yes. Especially Dee. He's great at it, because of the orphanage. But Mister,” she stated, her tone getting stern. “Only when he's allowed to set his own pace. He has his own rhythm in handling things like this and being put on a schedule just throws him off whack. That would be before he got pregnant, mind you. What I walked into was a frazzled man about ready to drop on his feet, but too scared to stop because he didn't want to go off your schedule.”
 
“Oh!” Ryo studied his aunt. “Really? I mean, I only thought….”
 
Elena reached up to put her hand on his cheek. “Your intentions were most honorable, dearheart. But Dee's method of control is not the same as yours. He has a knack of letting things that go off course roll off him, only to get it back on course at another time. I hope you're not planning on scheduling his pregnancy next.”
 
Ryo shook his head dumbly. “No. The wedding now….”
 
She released Ryo's face, but still stared up at him. “You said less stress for Dee. Now what stresses Dee out the most?”
 
Ryo slapped his forehead. “Ah shit. I'm such an idiot.”
 
She grabbed his arms. “Now don't go getting angry at yourself either. Learn from this and move on. Dee's fine. He had just about everything done anyway. I just made him comfortable, and then placed everything in the oven according to your schedule. The cookie dough is in the fridge and away from Dee. And if you like, I can stay in the kitchen taking care of the last minute stuff while you and Dee greet your guests as they arrive. Besides, I have a few things to make that would be better for Dee to eat.” She winked at him.
 
Ryo nodded. Part of him still felt offended that she felt she had to show up to help them, and another part was annoyed that she was able to handle Dee where he only managed to mess things up. Another part of him was hugely relieved she was there, offering her help.
 
She patted his arm. “Rick should be coming back from the booze run. What I want you to do is go join the others and try to relax. I know this party is more than a party for you. Dee's nervous too, but I wouldn't be able to get him to admit it.”
 
Ryo nodded. Dee had admitted it to him, but Ryo was not about to tell Elena that. “Has he been playing with the kids this entire time?” Ryo asked.
 
“No. He slept for about an hour and a half after I set him up with a small meal. Speaking of, did you and Bikky eat yet? It's about dinner time.”
 
“Yeah. When we arrived at Zabar's we found a line of people waiting for their orders. Something about their computer system crashing or something, so they couldn't access all the online orders. By the time they got it back up again, they were running late in preparing the party platters. So I took Bikky to a café and we ate while waiting.” He let out an exasperated sigh. “I just wish we were able to set up for delivery. But you need to get your order in before Thanksgiving to make the delivery schedule. We had no idea we'd be having a party until the other week.”
 
“Well, you didn't know you had a reason to celebrate with your friends,” Elena pointed out. “I'm glad you thought of making sure you and Bikky got something to hold you over until we're set here.” She looked up at the clock on the kitchen wall. “I suggest that soon you try to get Dee to lay down, even if just for a half hour. It will be quite the late night. I think that it would be nice if you held him while he rested.” She winked at her nephew.
 
Ryo snorted his laughter. “In other words, `get off your feet and rest too', huh?”
 
“Exactly. You may not be the pregnant one, but you can run yourself just as haggard as Dee if you don't be careful.”
 
Ryo sighed. “Okay. I'll hang out with the kiddies for a bit, get Dee to rest up, me along with him, then I'm back here to make the cookies. Everything else, my dear auntie…,” he leaned down to kiss her forehead, “I leave in your capable hands.”
 
“You're making lists again,” she pointed out with a frown.
 
“I can't help it. I do that more when I'm really nervous. Makes me feel like I have some control.”
 
“Ryo, you have control. It's called the front door. Remember what you told me over the phone this week? If anyone has any problems with you and Dee, or the baby, just show it to them. I'll help if you two need. So will Rick.”
 
Ryo ran his hand through his hair. “Yeah. You're right. Exactly what I'm planning. Anyone gives us shit, or looks at Dee the wrong way because of the baby, I won't be needing help.”
 
“And that's all the control you need to handle this. Yes?” She smirked at him. “As long as we don't have to bail you out of jail.”
 
“If anyone tries to touch Dee, it'll be them needing bail,” Ryo warned. “But I'm getting myself worked up to worse case scenarios. I trust that won't happen with our friends. But there's also dates we don't know to consider. There is one person Dee and I are worried about her reaction. Carol's aunt. Hell, I don't think she ever found out about Dee being bisexual back when Carol first started to stay around us.”
 
“Did you two ever think to ask Carol about that?” Elena asked. “No. I guess you didn't,” she said with a laugh at Ryo's dumbstruck look. “I had a chance to talk to Carol today during her breaks from the kids. I'll bet her aunt won't be as surprised as you both think she will be. At least about you and Dee being lovers and getting married. The baby might be a shock to her.” She grinned impishly. “But I'll bet only because it's Dee.”
 
“Why is that always a surprise to people?” Ryo sighed. “Never mind, don't answer that. And yes, I do realize you considered us both when we first broke the news to you.” He leaned over to kiss her forehead. “So I'm just going to grab something cold to drink and head onto the other side now.”
 
“You do that,” Elena said with a laugh.