Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ The Party Continues ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 22
The Party Continues
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
Big special thanks to DeeRyoFan and Gracie Musica for all their help with the party!!! I couldn't have pulled this off without them. *hugs*
 
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
Dee entered the room between the bedrooms on the other side of the apartment. It was more a large open space that they did not know what to do with yet. For the time being it held Dee's couch and a couple of chairs, along with a desk with the main PC on it and some reference books for Bikky to use. So far all three had used it as a study at one time or another. They referred to it as their den. Dee and Ryo had talked about redoing it in the spring, making it the back living room. Those plans were put on hold, because turning the guestroom into a nursery was to take top priority.
 
For that night, it served its purpose providing enough room for Bikky's party. The kids' party extended from his room into the space. Earlier that day, they had moved the TV from their bedroom and set it up with Playstation in the extra room.
 
He noticed the four boys gathered around the TV. Standing just behind them, was Stefen, trying to slowly make his way in as part of the group. Sitting on the floor next to the couch was Dani, who had just looked up from the doll she was playing with, her eyes getting bigger as she scanned each boy. Her brother gave her no comfort. Her little head twisted as she searched for someone. Dee knew what she was seeking.
 
Just as he opened his mouth to speak, her head turned in his direction. “Hey now, angel. No need to be frightened,” he said softly, starting to walk over to her.
 
Dani scampered up from the floor, her bottom lip quivering as she started toward Dee. Her little arms were open wide as she approached him. Dee bent over and picked the tiny girl up, wincing a bit as he got a good hold on her.
 
“Dee!” she exclaimed.
 
Dee laughed, rubbing his nose against hers, gingerly sitting down on the couch.
 
Dani leaned over in an attempt to reach for the pile of books on the edge of the couch. “Wead!”
 
“Sure, little one,” Dee said, leaning over so her small fingers could reach the pile. “Which one do you want?”
 
“Alla them,” Dani replied.
 
“We can't read them all at once,” Dee chuckled. “So which one do you want first?”
 
“Don't care. You pick, Dee.”
 
Dee picked the first book off the pile as Dani snuggled closer in Dee's lap. As he started to read, he noticed Stefen glancing over at them, then back to the other boys who had not yet invited him to play with them. “Stewie, aren't you getting tired?” he asked, pausing from the story. “C'mon over here and get comfortable.”
 
Stefen nodded, and after giving the older boys one last glance, he sat down next to Dee. By the time Dee was finishing the first story, Stefen was leaning against Dee, his head resting on Dee's shoulder, helping with turning the pages. Dani sat on Dee's lap enthralled with the story, as she usually was when someone read to her, clapping her hands when something made her extremely happy. She giggled whenever Dee would tickle her lightly.
 
When Dee finished the book, Dani let out a contented sigh. Suddenly her big bright eyes were staring up at Dee. “Dee?” she asked.
 
“What angel?” Dee asked, selecting another book.
 
“Will you still wead to me when the baby is here?”
 
Dee kissed the top of her head. “Of course, angel. I'll always have time to read to you. I can read to you and the baby. Maybe you could sometimes help me read to the baby?”
 
“Hmm… maybe.” She looked thoughtful up at Dee.
 
“You can turn the pages for me, like Stewie's doing because I'll have to hold the baby,” Dee said softly.
 
Dani thought about it moment then nodded vigorously. “I can do it. Can I hold the baby?”
 
“If you can sit nice and still, you can hold the baby in your lap sometimes. Okay, sweetheart?”
 
Dani nodded, turning her face up to Dee. Dee kissed her nose and she giggled. “Is the baby going to be a Dani or a Stewie?” Dani asked.
 
Dee laughed. “We don't know yet, Dani. We'll see.”
 
“Okay. I can't wait.”
 
Dee's thoughts went to when he would be holding the baby in his arms, looking down at the tiny life him and Ryo had created. A soft tender smile came to his face, his eyes glittering and bright. The warmth that seemed always within him which he had started to acknowledge as being aware of the life growing inside him seemed to radiate about him. “I can't wait either, sweetheart,” he replied in awe, before kissing her forehead. “So do I read another story?”
 
“Pweese?”
 
Dee laughed and started to read the book he held. Stefen was not helping with the pages any longer, because he had drifted off to sleep. When he finished reading the story, he put a drowsy Dani on the couch so he could stand up, hoping to get Stefen more comfortable. If the two children fell asleep, Elena had been planning to wake up them just before midnight, then send them to bed again, since Elena and Rick where staying for the night. Ryo and Dee did not feel good about having them driving to Long Island in the middle of the night on early New Year's morning, so it was arranged during the week that they would arrive prepared to spend the night. They had the room now for overnight guests, even a family. Stefen loved to sleep on the window seat, and Bikky would give up his bed for Dani, and sleep on the couch Stefen was currently sleeping on.
 
Ever since he had first met Elena and Rick about four years before, they always made him feel comfortable. In that time, Ryo and Dee had become a family with Bikky. Now their little family was expanding. Only what both men called family was not that little. Besides the three, there was Mother, and the kids at the orphanage. And there was Elena and Rick and their two children. The week before after dinner, Dee and Ryo were encouraged by Elena and Rick to show their love the same way the older couple did in front of their children. There was nothing wrong about love, Elena had assured them, and she wanted her children to grow up surrounded by love. Mother encouraged the same.
 
After Dee covered Stefen and Dani with the soft wool throw they kept on the couch, his hand went to his abdomen and he rubbed it softly, smiling down at both Dani and Stefen. He knew that his and Ryo's child would also know love and be surrounded by it. The chibi would have no choice, not with the extended family it would grow up in.
 
*** *** ***
 
As Drake and JJ were filling up their plates for the second round, Jim approached them, his arm still around the two women. Ryo was with them, talking to one of the girls. When they entered the dining area, Ryo walked over to the bar, and started to pour wine for himself and one for Patricia. He grabbed wine cooler for Emily, and decided to let Jim pick his own beer.
 
“Hello JJ,” Jim greeted. “Parker.” He had a contented smirk on his face, the type only a man who would have two women would wear.
 
JJ looked up, still seeming surprised at the two women even if he had already seen Jim with them. “Hey Jimbo!” he stated.
 
Drake shook his head. “Campbell, two girls at once?” he asked distressed. “Really man! You couldn't leave one for us poor dateless guys, huh?”
 
Jim's smirk turned devilish. “Well, Parker, you can't blame me for my good looks and perfect manners.”
 
Ryo looked up from handing the girls their drinks and snickered, winking at Emily.
 
“Hey, you better watch it, Jim,” JJ said, suddenly sounding amused. “It looks like Ryo is trying to put a move on one of your dates.”
 
Emily rolled her eyes and nudged Jim. She pulled away from his arm, holding out her hand toward Drake. “Hi, I'm Emily. Jim's cousin.”
 
Drake smiled. “Ah, cousin. I see. Hi, I'm Drake.” He took her hand and instead of shaking it, squeezed it gently.
 
Ryo laughed, then sipped his wine watching the exchange in amusement.
 
“And I'm JJ,” the shorter, pale blonde/bluish tint hair detective introduced himself. “Drake's partner.”
 
“Nice to meet you two.” Her eyes went from studying Drake to JJ. She looked at his clothes in appreciation. “Wow, is that Armani?” she asked.
 
“Yes,” JJ remarked, once again proudly, “it is.”
 
Emily hooked an arm around JJ's and dragged him off into the living room, starting to talk about fashion.
 
Drake and Jim watched as the two sat down on a couch, then looked at each other. “Well…” Jim started.
 
“Okay,” Drake seemed to finish.
 
Ryo almost spit his drink out, starting to laugh. He went over to the two dumbfounded men. “I hope she doesn't think she'll score with JJ,” he stated to Jim.
 
“Wouldn't be the first time she would hit on a gay man,” Jim answered, chuckling. “She seems to have that luck. Which is probably how she suddenly found herself with no date and having to go with her cousin to a party.”
 
Drake had been checking her out as Ryo and Jim talked. “Well,” he announced, “maybe I can help her out of her dilemma.” He started to walk into the living room when Ryo grabbed him back. Drake found himself with trying to grab onto the napkins Ryo shoved at him, while still balancing his plate and not dropping his beer.
 
“Use the napkins,” Ryo warned. “And give some to JJ too.”
 
Jim laughed. “Why am I not surprised?”
 
“Shut up,” Ryo said, as Drake went to go seat himself with JJ and Emily. “Don't be so surprised that now I'm pointing where the beer is and you can get it yourself.”
 
“That I don't mind.”
 
Patricia came up behind Jim and wrapped an arm around his midsection, leaning up to rest her chin on his shoulder.
 
Jim put a hand over Patricia's. “So where did your partner disappear to?” he asked Ryo.
 
“He's over at the kiddie side,” Ryo replied, pointing across the dining area to the other side of the apartment, “watching our cousins until Bikky gets back.”
 
Ryo stepped over to the doorway to peek in on how Dee was doing. He noticed the four older boys completely wrapped up in their game and oblivious to the man sitting on the couch in the same room, looking content and comfortable, as he read to Dani and Stefen. Dani was curled up on his lap, and Stefen leaning against him. Ryo smiled softly. Dee was so good with children, he thought. He was going to make a wonderful daddy. Ryo realized he could not wait until they would have their own little one, instead of taking care of someone else's toddlers or infants.
 
He realized Patricia was standing next to him. At the moment there was no one else in the dining room. Even Rick and Elena had gone into the living room to mingle with the other guests. “Jim told us what, uh, to… expect.” She smiled up at Ryo when he looked at her, catching the sly way she said the last word.
 
He smiled back at her, once again having the look of a proud father to be. His eyes momentarily drifted back to Dee, who still did not realize he was being watched. He was so wrapped up in reading the story and making Dani squeal and clap to notice.
 
“Congratulations,” she added.
 
Ryo finally turned from the door to look across the dining room to everyone having fun in the living room. “Thank you.” He chuckled. “It should be interesting later.” He let out a sigh. “Especially since most of our guests have no idea that Dee and I are more than just best friends.” They started to walk back to the buffet table.
 
Jim laughed. “Oh yes! I brought my digicam and I'll keep it zoomed in on JJ's face!”
 
Ryo had to laugh with Jim. “Bikky will love you for life!” he exclaimed.
 
Patricia gave Jim a gentle slap on his belly. “That's mean,” she pouted.
 
“No it's not,” both Jim and Ryo replied at the same time. They looked at each other and laughed harder.
 
Jim took Patricia's hand. “Come sweets. The food here does look most appetizing. I think I'm hungry.”
 
“Oh indeed,” Patricia agreed. “Jim told me you're a wonderful cook, Ryo. Did you make this all yourself?”
 
Ryo shook his head. “I had help. We ordered the platters from Zabar's. And except for a last few minute items that my aunt made, Dee and I made everything else.”
 
Jim did a double take. “Dee cook?” He laughed. “That lazy son of a bitch once told me he didn't know how when I asked how come he only served chips and sausages at get togethers.”
 
Ryo laughed. “He had me going for quite a while too. Even after we started going together. Turns out Dee knows how to cook quite well, but was afraid to admit it. I think that's changing lately.”
 
“A baby can change everything, Ryo,” Patricia said fondly.
 
“Yeah,” Ryo agreed, awed. He looked at Jim and laughed again. “From what Dee told me, you seemed more surprised about Dee cooking than him being pregnant.”
 
“Well, it did surprise me somewhat, I have to admit. Not that I'm saying I'd expect you to be the one having the children.”
 
“But you are,” Ryo stated, shaking his head. He sighed. “I guess that probably has a lot to do with how I act as much as how Dee does. Well, that's all going to change.”
 
Jim smirked. “Give it another month or two and all one would have to do is look at Dee and get the idea of your relationship.”
 
Oddly, Ryo was expecting to feel himself blush. Instead he found himself smirking back at Jim. “Dee and I have always been equals in everything else, why not this?”
 
Jim nodded. “That's why I wasn't really that surprised. To find out that you're relationship is equal. It's just that it's Dee carrying the baby that was a little surprising to me. Not the mechanics behind how he got that way.”
 
Ryo blushed just a little. “Yeah. Thanks, I guess.”
 
“You guys did a great job, by the way. I remember what this place used to look like from Dee's bachelor game parties. And it's now double in size?”
 
“A little more than double. The apartment next door was larger than Dee's. The entire floor is our apartment now. We're both happy with how it came out.”
 
They moved onto safer topics as Jim and Patricia filled up plates, while Ryo made one for Emily. They grabbed more drinks then moved into the living room to join the others enjoying the party.
 
*** *** ***
 
Ryo leaned back and laughed at Elena's latest victim. Poor Drake was all flustered, not expecting Ryo's aunt to be so open. Ryo probably shocked a few of his co-workers when Rick and Ryo had gone at each other in a verbal match of wits at one point. Ryo was getting up to refill his glass again, when the doorbell rang.
 
He put his glass down and went over to the door to let their next guest in. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught a glimpse of Dee entering the living room with a sniffling Dani in his arms.
 
Dee went over to Elena. “Someone wants her Mommy,” Dee stated to Elena, who was already standing up as she saw Dee walk in her direction.
 
Elena took Dani from Dee, holding her close. “Aw sweetheart, what's wrong?”
 
“Mommy…” Dani sniffled.
 
Dee caressed Dani's cheek. “Told you. She wants her Mommy.”
 
Elena started to take her inside the kitchen, when Dani reached out and grabbed Dee's finger. “Don't go, Dee.”
 
“Tell you what,” Elena suggested with a smile for her daughter. “Why don't we all go into the kitchen and I'll give you and Dee cookies.”
 
“Cookies!” Dee and Dani exclaimed at the same time.
 
Elena laughed and carried Dani into the kitchen, Dee following close by.
 
Ryo opened the door to find Diana smiling at him. “Well, hello there, Mr. MacLean,” she greeted cheerfully. She leaned up to kiss Ryo on the cheek.
 
“Hi Diana,” Ryo said, returning the kiss on her cheek. “I'm so glad you were able to make it.”
 
Diana laughed. “I wouldn't miss this for anything!” She patted her handbag. “Got my camera too.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “I know you wouldn't want to miss it.”
 
“May I introduce my friend to you?” she asked, indicating a man standing next to her.
 
Ryo had just noticed him at that moment. He gazed at the friend in surprise. “Uh… Hi.” He glanced back at Diana in question.
 
Diana ignored the gaze, knowing what was on his mind. “Ryo, this is Richard. Richard, Ryo, our sweet host.”
 
Richard offered his hand. “Nice to meet you.”
 
Ryo took Richard's hand for a firm handshake. “Same here.”
 
“I hope you don't mind,” Diana said. “I didn't say anything, but I assumed you meant the invites included a guest.”
 
“Uh, yeah. Of course,” Ryo replied. “I mean New Year's Eve and all. This isn't exactly a single mixer. Come in.”
 
“Richard surprised me with a last minute call this morning,” Diana explained, then smiled at Richard.
 
“So, you're Diana's… friend, huh?” Ryo asked.
 
Richard had returned Diana's smile as Ryo spoke, then turned to look at his host. “I hope it's not too much of an inconvenience?”
 
Dee had walked out from the kitchen, leaving Elena with Dani behind. He noticed Ryo at the door, and something set off Dee's alarms. He started to walk over to join Ryo to discover Diana at the door with someone Dee had never seen before. He immediately understood why he got the vibes from Ryo - he felt the same way. They had plans for Diana, and she did not need to bring her own date.
 
Dee walked up to Diana, smiling. “Sea Hag!” he exclaimed in greeting, then gave her a kiss on the cheek. “Glad you're here.”
 
Richard blinked at Dee, not believing someone can call a woman like Diana a sea hag. He watched as Diana glared at him, then kissed him back in greeting, giggling.
 
“You have such a way with woman,” she remarked. “No wonder you ended up with a man.” She winked playfully at Dee. He hugged him. “Good to see you too, Dee.”
 
Ryo started to guide Diana from the door. “Come in, give me your coats,” he insisted. “You know almost everyone in there. Food and drinks are for the taking. But you might have to fight Drake off,” he rambled on.
 
Richard blinked at all the information that was spewing from Ryo as Dee strolled along next to Richard.
 
Ryo looked over at Richard, then back to Diana. “Did you warn Richard of our crazy crew at CI? I hope so.” He left Diana's side to go over to Dee and slapped him playfully. “Dee! Don't be rude in front of Diana's… uh, date.”
 
Dee grinned wickedly. “I'm not being rude. I could be really rude….” He grinned at Diana.
 
Richard raised his eyebrow at Dee and waited for him to greet him.
 
Ryo touched Dee's arm. “Dee, say hello to Richard… since Diana's also being rude.”
 
At the same time, Diana said, “Dee, meet Richard.”
 
Dee let out a chuckle as he shook Richard's hand. “It's all in good fun, right? I'm Dee Laytner.”
 
Ryo took their coats and went to hang them up.
 
Richard stared at Dee suspiciously. “Good evening, Mr. Laytner,” he greeted as he shook Dee's hand firmly.
 
“Dee, please,” Dee insisted. “None of that Mr. Laytner crap between friends. Okay?”
 
Ryo returned to the trio and looked at Richard. They started to walk toward the others gathered around the couches and the food.
 
Ryo had been watching their other guests, seeing everyone talking and laughing as they ate food and drank. Everyone was have a good time. It made Ryo feel good. With a smile, he looked back at the newcomers. “Are you an associate of Diana's?” he asked Richard.
 
“No. I'm a friend. I missed my flight to Los Angeles, where I should be right now, due to a last minute meeting here, and Diana was so nice to invite me for tonight,” Richard replied politely.
 
Elena was sitting at the window seat with Dani in her lap. Dani wiggled out of her mother's hold and onto the floor, then ran off toward Dee with her arms open wide. “Dee! Up!” she insisted.
 
Dee laughed as he scooped up the now happy toddler, wincing as he once again reminded himself he had to stop doing that. He settled Dani on his hip as the girl wrapped her little chubby arms around his neck.
 
Ryo looked in time to catch Dee wince. He leaned his head and said low, “Dee, careful there.”
 
“I'm fine,” Dee waved off, settling Dani more comfortably on his hips. He grinned at Dani. “The more, the merrier. Right, Dani?” he asked the child in his arms.
 
Dani nodded energetically.
 
Richard raised an eyebrow at Dee and Dani in confusion. He looked over at Diana for help. She had explained that her two detective friends were lovers and living together, along with their adopted son, who's father had been killed in the first case the two worked on as partners five years ago.
 
“Ah, I see,” Ryo remarked to Richard's reply on how he ended up at their party with Diana. “I see. Well, make yourself at home. It's a shame you couldn't be home for New Year's. But I promise you it'll be an interesting evening.”
 
“Oh, New York is my home now. I moved here a month ago,” Richard replied.
 
Diana was gazing at Dee and Dani. “Oh, and who might this lovely lady be?” she asked, stepping closer to the two.
 
“This is Dani,” Dee replied. “Ryo's little cousin. Dani, this is a very nice lady that me and your cousin Ryo know, Auntie S—“ Dee cut off quickly when he noticed Ryo's glare. “Auntie Diana.”
 
“Hi Dinna,” Dani said, giggling as she waved.
 
“Aw, she's lovely!” Diana cooed about the sweet child in Dee's arms.
 
Dani buried her face in Dee's shoulder, giggling.
 
“Don't let the act fool you,” Dee grinned, rubbing his cheek against Dani's hair. “This one is not shy, I can assure you.”
 
“You mean warn her,” Ryo chuckled.
 
Diana offered her hand toward Dani and smiled at the small child.
 
Richard watched on, smiling at the exchange, chuckling a little when Dani moved her head to see his large hand. “Hello, Miss Dani,” he greeted.
 
She looked up at Dee, who nodded. “I'm here, darling one and so is Ryo,” he assured the child.
 
She peered at Diana as if in thought, her little face screwed up in a half frown. “You seahag?” she finally asked, then looked back at Dee again.
 
“Oh no!” Ryo groaned, slapping his forehead. Diana's eyes went wide, and Richard's mouth dropped. Even Dee looked a bit startled by Dani's question.
 
Dani was smiling at Diana. “Cousin Dee says you are….” She giggled, leaning over to peck Dee's cheek. “But he says you're a very nice seahag.”
 
Diana broke out in laugher. “I can see your cousin Dee has been talking about me.”
 
Dani nodded. “Cousins Dee and Wyo always tell about the nice people they know.” Dani looked over at Richard. “Hi mister.” She waved to Richard.
 
Richard waved back, smiling a little at the child.
 
Diana was still laughing, carefully wiping her eyes, not wanting to mess up her make-up.
 
Dee chuckled ruefully and kissed Dani's forehead. “My little spitfire,” he remarked, then laughed again.
 
Her big eyes still on Richard, she stated, “Cousin Dee didn't tell me `bout you.” She gazed at him, pouting. Her head turned to look at Ryo. “Wyo, do you know him?”
 
“Oh, your cousins just met me for the first time,” Richard explained.
 
Dani looked thoughtful for a moment, sticking a fingertip in her mouth. Finally she pulled her finger away. “Okay!” she replied in a singsong voice, obviously glad to have another adult who liked her. “Nice to meet you!” She reached out Ryo. “Wyo!” she exclaimed happily. “Come wead to me and Stewie!”
 
Diana smiled as she looked at Richard. “Aw, isn't she just the cutest little thing?”
 
Richard gave a half smile. “I guess she is.”
 
Ryo took Dani from Dee, settling her in his arms. “We just love her to pieces,” he stated with a smile. Ryo rubbed his nose against Dani's small pert one. “Don't we, sweetheart.”
 
“Yeah,” Dee agreed. “She's adorable.” He rubbed her back, smiling gently.
 
Diana could not help smiling at the two men as they fawned over the small child, knowing there was a baby in their future.
 
Dani frowned at Ryo. “Wead! You an' cousin Dee!” she demanded.
 
Diana laughed. “Oh my, and she has the two of you wrapped around her chubby fingers.”
 
“Well, angel, we have guests right now,” he explained. “But I'll go read for you, while Dee makes sure our guests are having fun.”
 
Dee nodded, still rubbing her back. “Yeah.”
 
Dani started to tear up, staring from Ryo to Dee and back again. Her bottom lip started to tremble as she pouted more.
 
“Aw angel. How about you stay with me and Dee and our guests for a while then? We can sit by your mommy,” Ryo offered.
 
Dani stubbornly shook her head.
 
Diana laughed and whispered, “Whipped.”
 
Ryo looked over to Dee helplessly.
 
“Pweeeeeeeese?” Dani begged. “Jus' for a minute?”
 
Dee smiled and shrugged. “One story won't hurt,” he replied.
 
Diana shook her head. She grabbed Richard by his arm. “Come on, I'll introduce you to the other guys.”
 
Ryo looked at her apologetically. “Diana, I hate to do this, but could you oversee things for a bit? I know my aunt's here, but she's not used to these characters we call friends.”
 
Bikky came charging in from the front door and started to make his way over to Ryo, Dee and Dani. “Dani!” he called out, “Carol and I are back!” He came to a skidding stop before Ryo.
 
Carol entered the apartment, followed by Lass, Lai and a couple of other kids who walked past the men, waving. “We found some of our other guests too,” she explained, leading them to the other side of the apartment where the children's party was held. “Come on, everyone. Ryo and Dee made sure there's all sorts of neat stuff for us,” she was saying.
 
One of the boys from the orphanage gazed around with wide eyes. “Wow Dee! Nice apartment! What happened here?”
 
Dee laughed. “Home improvement, Thomas. And I better not find anything missing, you hear!”
 
“Whatever, Dee!” Thomas replied, then snickered.
 
Dee shook his head and turned to Bikky who stood before him and Ryo. “Hey midget man,” he greeted as he ruffled Bikky's hair.
 
Dani waved to Bikky with a smile from Ryo's arms. “Wyo's gonna wead me a stowy!” she exclaimed happily.
 
Bikky held out his arms toward Dani. “Aw, but I wanted to read you a story!” he stated with a grin for the giggling child.
 
Dani shook her head, clenching onto Ryo tighter. “You can wead me anoter one. I wan' Wyo to wead!”
 
“Aw,” Bikky remarked, pretending to be sad.
 
Dani shook her head, burying her face on Ryo's shoulder, starting to whine for Ryo to read to her. Ryo shared a glance with his son, who shrugged. Ryo smiled at him, knowing Bikky wanted to take Dani so Dee and him could enjoy the party with their friends.
 
Dee chuckled as he came over to Ryo and Bikky, taking Dani from Ryo's arms. “C'mon Ryo. It'll be just a few minutes. No one'll even show up by then. Then Bikky can play with Dani.” He rubbed his cheek against Dani. “Okay sweetheart?”
 
Ryo ran his fingers through the child's silken curls. “You don't want to have Bikky read to you? I thought you liked your cousin Bikky, sweetheart?” he asked her.
 
Dani lifted her head, to look at Dee, pouting. “'S not working!” she said to Dee.
 
Dee chuckled softly. “It's okay, little one,” he assured her, then kissed her nose. “You wanna go with Biks now?”
 
Dani hugged Dee, nodding. Dee bent over to hand Dani to Bikky. The toddler grasped onto Bikky, holding him tightly, giggling.
 
With a fond smile, Bikky hugged her, then moving away from Ryo and Dee, whirled her around. Ryo smiled fondly at his son, as Dani hugged Bikky, laughing.
 
“Can I read you a story now, pweeeaase?” Bikky asked Dani. As Dani nodded her head vigorously, Bikky winked up to Dee and Ryo.
 
“Yeah!” she exclaimed.
 
Ryo moved so his side was touching Dee's and his arm started to reach out to go around Dee's waist. He stopped himself, fighting the urge to hug Dee. He reminded himself just a little while longer and then it would not matter anymore.
 
Ryo reached out that arm to ruffle Bikky's hair. “Love you, bud,” he stated.
 
Dee winked at Bikky with a smile.
 
The two men watched as Bikky ran off toward his room, navigating around the other guests, with Dani in his arms, galloping like a pony. Dani laughed gleefully, holding onto Bikky.
 
Ryo laughed as they watched. “I'm so glad to see those two get along so well,” he stated.
 
Dee nodded. “Yeah. He's going to make a fine big brother, isn't he?” He smiled at Ryo.
 
Ryo nodded, returning Dee's smile. “Lately I swear he seems to be practicing with kids younger than he is.”
 
Dee laughed. “We should stick him with a baby for an hour, to prepare him for that. `Cause he'll be helping us with diaper changing before teaching the chibi how to play basketball.” He took Ryo's hand and quickly started to pull him into the kitchen, and pulled down the shades. They both looked up when the doorbell rang.
 
“Damn!” Ryo cursed, gazing up at Dee.
 
“I'll get it,” they heard Elena's voice call out to them, and the sound of her heels clicking as she walked away.
 
Dee pulled Ryo into a hug. “Just a moment before we have to go out there.”
 
Ryo nodded, pressing up against Dee. “Yeah. I need this.”
 
“I needed this too. I'm glad it's almost over. Then no more hiding,” Dee sighed.
 
“Agreed. Just a few more hours. We can be strong,” Ryo stated.
 
Their heads started to gravitate closer so their lips would meet for a kiss. They almost made the target when suddenly the kitchen door burst open.
 
“Dee, Ryo!” JJ called out, entering the kitchen. “Have you…. OH….” JJ came to a complete halt just inside the kitchen door, his jaw dropping upon seeing the two men in an embrace, about to kiss.
 
Ryo pulled slightly away from Dee when he heard JJ's voice. “Oh, JJ….” He did not know what to say or do. He remained as he was, looking carefully at JJ.
 
Dee bit his lip. Suddenly having the moment he had been waiting so long for being thrust upon him, it did not feel as good as he thought it would. Especially after looking at JJ's wide eyes. JJ was speechless, his jaw still hanging and his eyes started to glisten.
 
“Uh,” Ryo said, then cleared his throat when the sound came out more like a croak. “Have we…?” He looked up at Dee in question on what to do next. Instinct was telling him to turn it into a normal situation, but he had a feeling it would not be that easy.
 
JJ's mouth opened and closed a couple of times before he attempted to speak. “Uh… Uhm…. White wine. All three bottle are empty already,” he replied, his eyes still glued on Dee and Ryo. Dee still had his arms around Ryo, but like Ryo had put some distance between them. A distance of only a few inches, but their need of a few minutes before made it too wide a gap.
 
Ryo looked at JJ, then at Dee, coming to a decision. JJ had walked in on a private moment hours before he was to find out anyway. With that thought on his mind, he smirked and leaned closer to Dee to give him a quick peck on his cheek, then pulled out of Dee's arms.
 
JJ had been biting his lip. When Ryo kissed Dee, his eyes went incredibly wide.
 
Dee was feeling stunned, cursing himself for depending on their plans and not giving a thought that something could happen that would take their control from them. The control had been taken away, at least in dealing with JJ. Dee had no idea how to proceed, realizing he did not want to hurt JJ anymore than he knew JJ would be. He went over to JJ as Ryo went to the corner where they kept the extra alcohol supply.
 
Gently he placed his hand on JJ's shoulder. “JJ,” he started, then finding he did not know what to say next.
 
“Oh yeah,” Ryo's voice came from behind. “We have plenty.” There was the sound of bottles rattling and soon Ryo was standing with them, two bottles of white wine in his hands. He held them out to JJ. “Uh, here…. JJ, look,” Ryo tried, then seeing JJ's face, closed his mouth.
 
JJ was staring up at Dee, his eyes wide and vulnerable.
 
Ryo kicked the kitchen door close with his foot, glancing quickly out and relieved that none of the other guests noticed what was going on in the kitchen.
 
“I'm sorry, man,” Dee said quietly, his hand still resting on JJ's shoulder.
 
Ryo stood next to JJ. “JJ, say something,” he pleaded.
 
JJ turned his head to stare at Ryo. “So, you and Dee and….” His gaze dropped to the floor.
 
Ryo took JJ by his arm and started to guide him to a stool at the breakfast bar. “Yeah. Me and Dee,” Ryo admitted.
 
In a low voice, JJ simply said, “Wow.” He plopped heavily down on the stool.
 
Ryo shared a quick glance with Dee. “We… uh, we were going to tell everyone tonight at some point before midnight,” he blurted out, at a loss of knowing what to say, but feeling he had to say something.
 
JJ looked up at Ryo. “Really?” he asked. His gaze went from Ryo to Dee.
 
Dee nodded. To Ryo's dismay, his otherwise talkative lover decided to remain quiet.
 
The silence stretched more than Ryo could stand in the second that followed. Once again, for need of killing the silence, he opened his mouth and blurted out the first thing in his mind. “You just happened to find out a bit earlier from the rest of them.”
 
JJ's eyes narrowed as he looked up at Ryo. “That's so considerate of you to say,” he commented dryly.
 
Ryo shrugged, obviously uncomfortable under the accusing glare. “I guess it should make sense now how I act.” Using the toe of his shoe, he started to dig at a non-existent spot on the floor, his eyes on his shoe.
 
“Like I shouldn't have been told already?” he heard remark.
 
JJ glanced up to Dee, narrowed eyes now turning hurt. “I thought you'd be honest with me, at least. I mean, we're friends. Right?” JJ shook his head and with wide hurt eyes, softly said, “You could have told me.” It almost sounded like a plead to Dee.
 
Dee shrugged, not knowing what to say, being overcome with sudden guilt. Desperately he searched for something to say, but everything that came to mind just did not seem right.
 
Before he had a chance to come up with a good reply, Ryo opened his mouth, having an answer of his own. The first one that filled his head, and he just blurted it out. “JJ…. We thought about it, but… well, you'd just go and tell everyone eventually. And we weren't ready for that.” He looked up to JJ.
 
`There,' Ryo thought. He had spoken just how he felt about the situation. He knew Dee had always felt differently about it, but Ryo could not help the way he felt. Too many years of rivalry, of feeling even when it was obvious that Dee had no interest in JJ, the smaller man still pushed, tried to come between Ryo and Dee. That might not have been the truth for keeping things quiet with the others, but for Ryo that was one of the main reasons he kept his silence. Otherwise, almost three years before, he would have loved to have shove the fact that he had Dee and they were a couple.
 
JJ's head snapped from looking at Dee to glare at Ryo. “I would have told everyone?” He stood, his eyes becoming stormy. “Thanks for the vote of confidence.”
 
Dee placed a hand on JJ's shoulder. “JJ, calm down,” Dee said softly.
 
Ryo gritted his teeth, his own dark eyes murky with pent up feelings of jealousy, which had driven his attitude toward JJ most times, while other times he merely tolerated him. “Do you know how damn hard it was to keep from blurting it out, just to get you to stop your shit? To keep you from pawing at Dee? Believe me, JJ, I would have loved to tell you from day one, if not for that.”
 
Dee's hand left JJ's shoulder as he grasped Ryo by his arm. “Ryo,” he warned carefully.
 
Ryo shot Dee a defiant look, his eyes almost accusing.
 
At the same time, JJ's eyes were on Dee too. “You could have told me. I wouldn't have told anyone, if you had asked me not to. You know that, Dee.”
 
Dee shrugged. “I… knowing why you would have done it, I just couldn't. I didn't want that type of control. Because you never owed me that much - at least for the reasons you would have.”
 
Ryo took a step forward, pulling his arm away from Dee's hold. “Yeah, it's my fault for Dee keeping this from you, and from everyone else. But for two and a half years, it's been freakin' near impossible not to shove it into your face.” He was not yelling, his voice even and steady, with a dangerous edge to it.
 
Dee attempted to stand between Ryo and JJ. “Guys, please,” he pleaded, not wanting to have to clean up JJ's blood from the kitchen while they took Ryo off to jail.
 
Ryo moved so he could look around Dee's arm. “I figured that by you learning with everyone lese, then maybe I wouldn't gloat so much.”
 
“Ryo…” Dee warned again.
 
Ryo sighed, rubbing Dee's arm as he moved to stand alongside his fiance, facing JJ. “Believe it or not, I do like you, JJ. Really. You're an okay guy. But well… I had issues with you. Big ones and not all of them have gone away.”
 
JJ's eyes went big again. “Oh really?” The hurt blue eyes shifted to look at Dee. “Happy New Year, Dee.” He started to walk toward the kitchen door.
 
Dee rubbed his face wearily. It was not supposed to go this way. And when JJ finally did find out, he was not supposed to feel this damn guilty. Dee sighed.
 
Ryo replied to JJ's departing back after snorting. “Like you never noticed? Don't try to tell me you never had issues with me, JJ!”
 
Dee made a quick move that put himself between JJ and the door, stopping the other man but placing a hand on his shoulder. “Oh no, you don't,” he remarked, determining that no one was leaving the kitchen until things were at least partially smoothed out. The way JJ's eyes looked, Dee did not want the other detective to be out in the streets alone. Especially when he should have been with his friends at a party.
 
Ryo leaned against a counter, rubbing his face in frustration.
 
JJ's looked at Dee again, close to tears. “Let me go,” he demanded. His eyes flashed in the general direction where Ryo was. “Besides, your brute boyfriend might take it the wrong way.”
 
“So now he's going to go out there all upset and blow it all to hell,” Ryo muttered, but loud enough to be certain JJ heard him.
 
For a reply, Dee dragged JJ across the kitchen, placing him against an opposing counter from Ryo. He went back to pull out two stools from the breakfast bar, setting then close to each other. “Sit,” he demanded of JJ, suddenly grasping onto some sense of control. Jade green eyes settled on Ryo. “BOTH OF YOU!”
 
Ryo glared darkly at JJ, pretty much the same way he had years ago when he first met the other man.
 
JJ remained where Dee had deposited him. “You know, until now, I thought you were okay. Dense and obviously blind for not wanting him….” He pointed at Dee. “But now I just think you're a coward and an ass, Ryo. Because no matter how hard it is to admit for me - I always knew I never had a chance.” He shook his head sadly. “But I still thought we were all friends.” He let out a snort, flashing a glare back at Ryo, then shifted the look to Dee. “Guess I was wrong.” He pushed away from the counter and started to stride past Dee to the door.
 
Dee jumped to quickly close the distance and grabbed JJ, pulling him back.
 
The door opened and Elena stepped in. “Ryo, Dee, that commission is here,” she said as she entered. Her eyes took in the sight of the three obviously distraught men. “OH! Don't you worry, dearhearts. I'll take care of things out there for a while,” she stated and rushed back out of the kitchen, closing the door behind her.
 
Dee moved JJ with hands on his shoulders and sat him down on a stool. He looked over to Ryo.
 
Ryo did not move, but shook his head sadly. “JJ,” he started, “I'd like us to be friends. But honestly, from day one, we never got off on a good foot.”
 
JJ glared at Ryo. “What? Have another insult for me?”
 
Ryo shook his head, and continued speaking. “Even when I couldn't admit how I felt about Dee, I knew enough to put my defenses up around you. Afraid that you'd take Dee away before I was ready to accept who I was and what he meant to me.”
 
JJ snorted. “Friends?” he spat out. “You? With me, the bad guy who'd spill your personal secrets out to the whole world?”
 
Ryo shrugged. “You're just that bubbly type of guy. Sometimes you just get excited and blurt things out. I'm not saying you'd be vindictive or anything.”
 
JJ leaned forward, his eyes on Ryo. “You don't get it, Ryo! I don't care what issues you had, or have, or why you were in denial, or whatever. We all were at one point. I might be bubbly, but I still have enough self control to keep a secret. You're not the only control freak here, Detective MacLean.”
 
“JJ, look,” Dee cut in. “I also didn't want to tell you because I knew it would hurt you.” He took a few steps back to lean against the counter where the sink was.
 
“Look JJ, I was afraid. Dee was afraid too. Our biggest worry was being separated at work.” Ryo sighed. “And because of that, even if I felt I was ready a long time ago to tell you, Drake and Ted, I was still afraid that one little slip would ruin it for us.”
 
JJ looked up at Dee. “You know what really hurts, Dee? That you didn't trust me to keep your secret safe. I'd never do anything to make you unhappy.” He stood up, straightening his designer suit. “If you would please excuse me now. I don't feel like celebrating anymore.” He tossed one more glare at both Ryo and Dee and started for the door.
 
“JJ, please,” Dee requested, standing where he had been leaning.
 
“JJ,” Ryo stated to JJ's back, “it was enough stress knowing how close Dee and I came to exposing the truth. I couldn't allow anyone else… Yeah, I am a control freak. I wanted to keep it where I had control.” He looked over to Dee and mouthed, “Maybe he should know everything?”
 
JJ turned and glared at Ryo. “It's all about you, huh?” he accused.
 
Ryo shook his head. “No. It's all about me and Dee. Okay?”
 
JJ shrugged as if dismissing him. “Sure. Have a nice evening.”
 
Ryo slapped his forehead. “Shit! Another thing - I just knew you'd act like this, no matter when we told you!”
 
“JJ, wait…” Dee tried again to prevent JJ from leaving the kitchen, but he still did not move.
 
JJ ignored him as he opened the door and left the kitchen, closing the door behind him.
 
Ryo looked over to Dee, starting to push away from the counter. “Well, that didn't go well,” he observed unnecessarily.
 
Dee put his hands up to cover his face.
 
Ryo went over to Dee, placing his hands on Dee's waist. He leaned over to quickly kiss Dee, before starting to walk out of the kitchen after JJ.
 
At the same moment, Dee could no longer hold back that he was starting to feel sick. He quickly turned and resting his arms on the counter, he leaned over the sink, dry heaving a few times, breathing heavily. He moved one arm so he could place a hand on his slightly swollen abdomen. Under his breath, he sighed, “Easy there, little one…”
 
Ryo was immediately behind Dee before he moved his arm, rubbing his back. “Baby,” he started.
 
Dee silently washed his face. Ryo grabbed a hand towel and held it out for Dee, holding him. “Easy Dee,” he soothed as Dee took the towel from him.
 
Dee heaved again, leaning over the sink again, hand clenching the towel. Ryo continued to rub his back while holding him. Dee took a deep shuddering breath and leaned back into Ryo's embrace, wiping his face with the towel.
 
“I'm okay,” he assured Ryo. “I'll grab some of the crackers here and be good as new. Please, go get JJ,” he pleaded. He turned his head to look back at Ryo.
 
Ryo saw the guilt in Dee's eyes, and knew Dee would not be enjoying himself that night as much as he should if they just allowed JJ to leave like that. He let out a heavy sigh, still rubbing Dee's back. “I fucked this up, didn't? I'm so sorry, baby…”
 
Dee leaned to lightly kiss Ryo's cheek. “It's okay. Please. Just go.”
 
Ryo kissed Dee on the cheek, the hand that was around Dee's waist slightly caressed the small swell under Dee's shirt. “Are you sure?” He rushed over to where the extra soft drinks were and got a ginger ale to give to Dee. “You sit for a bit, okay? I'll be right back.”
 
Dee gave him a small smile. “Sure. I'll be fine in a few.”
 
Ryo nodded, kissing Dee softly and then left the kitchen, to go after JJ.