Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Black & White Heart ❯ Contented Sleep ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6: Contented Sleep

--The night before--

That was close, Shigure thought to himself, as he stayed by the phone until Yuki was clear out of sight. He turned to go back up the stairs when suddenly remembered that Haru was still in the room Yuki had just walked into. Quickly turning around and running into his Study, he grabbed the camera Mii had lent him and slowly crept over to the open Living Room door. He just spotted Yuki and Haru sitting together out on the porch in the fading light and smiled. He knelt on the floor and watched, camera ready for a quick photo. Yuki suddenly got up off the floor when Haru grabbed his hand. Shigure quickly put the camera to his eye; something was going to happen he just knew it! There was a moments conversation before that something happened. Shigure was still in slight shock to click the button on the camera to take the photo, but quickly remembered just in time just as Haru pulled away from the kiss. As they walked inside and Yuki turned slowly towards the stairs where Shigure was kneeling, Shigure quickly scuttled into his office and quietly shut the door, keeping it open just an inch to watch a very dazed Yuki walk up the stairs. Grinning in triumph and shoving the camera in his desk draw; Shigure quietly took the phone of the desk in the hall and took it into his office shutting the door, the cord coming from underneath, Aya's never going to believe this.

--Present time--

"Are you alright now?" asked Kyo, not particularly caring but knowing full well not to go near a Black Haru.

"No, but I'm not Black anymore if that's what you mean." Haru said, sitting by the front door waiting for Shigure and Ayame to return.

"Good." Said Kyo, walking past him heading for his favourite spot on the roof.

Tohru walked up beside Haru and sat down, bringing her knees to her chest to keep warm, "How come you stopped chasing Shigure and Ayame?" she enquired.

"I lost them in the forest, but I'll get them when they come back."

"They've been gone for hours, I wonder what they're doing. I hope they're okay." She said, a little worried as it was nearly time for dinner.

"Where's Yuki?" Haru asked, turning to face her.

"In his Garden. I hope he won't mind me telling you as that's where you found him when he hurt himself."

Haru smiled in remembrance, "He had a little garden back at the main house when he lived there."

"Really?" said an excited Tohru, "So he's always liked gardening then huh?"

"Yeah. He tried to keep that one a secret as well. Didn't work though. It was a strange place to have it actually because it was my back garden."

Tohru blinked, "Your…back garden?"

"Yeah. Well you see my parents owned one of the biggest houses inside the Sohma Estate. Second only to the main house itself. We had a huge garden, half of which was trees so it would have been easy enough to miss a spot even if you were trying to explore the whole thing."

Kyo idly listened to this conversation lying on his back on the roof. He frowned though; Haru was talking in the past tense. He himself had seen Haru's house, it was absolutely huge, his mother owning a large Yoga and Relaxation centre in the main town, and his father being one of the head directors for a large software company, traveling around the world visiting their smaller company chains making sure things were running smoothly. They made a fortune every month; in fact it was only a few weeks ago he overheard Haru at school saying his parents were building yet another extension to the house.

Tohru hadn't noticed this and just thought that it was cute that even back then Yuki had been near Haru, with or without knowing it.

"I remember one afternoon when I was looking after a very young Kisa for the day," Haru continued, "She loved staying round my house cos I had made a little play room for her. Anyway, we were playing catch in the garden when I through the ball a little to hard and it flew off into the trees. When I searched for it I came across Yuki's garden. It was only small, only a couple of feet, but it had one of pretty much everything. Carrots, potatoes, leeks, turnips, I hadn't a clue how it got there. But then as I knelt down I saw a hole in one of the bushes and right at that moment Yuki came crawling though." Haru smiled to himself, "He looked so shocked to see me staring at him there. I figured he didn't know where he was so explained he was in my garden. He of course said he would replant them somewhere else but wouldn't hear of it. Besides, as he said he spent so much time there, it was nice to think he was near me."

Tohru loved hearing these stories about Haru and Yuki, and Haru always looked so happy when he told them, as if talking about Yuki was one of his favourite hobbies. They sat there for a few more minutes when Tohru suddenly thought she needed to change the bed covers for the day.

"Oh! I have things to do before dinner, I shouldn't be sitting out here!" she said, standing up from the floor, bowing slightly to Haru before heading up the stairs.

Haru stayed where he was, although his previous appetite for wanting to slaughter Shigure and Ayame had since subsided. Whenever he thought about Yuki any violent thoughts always disappeared. He debated whether or not to go and find Yuki in his Garden, but thought better against it for the moment. Perhaps he'd talk with him later or tomorrow during lunch at school. Shivering again from the cold, Haru got up and kept a mental note that he really needed to stop sitting in the cold to think about things, turned to his left to see Kyo leaning by the wall staring at him.

"What?" Haru asked.

"Why are you here Haru?" Kyo said rather seriously, "Why did you just suddenly move in without Shigure mentioning it before?"

Haru brushed away invisible dust from his arm and looked up at Kyo, "As I said before, I have my reasons." And with that he walked inside the house, shutting the door behind him indicating the conversation was over.

-----

Tohru gathered Yuki's bed sheets in her arms and grabbed an empty glass from his bedside draw. Humming to herself, she walked past his desk to the door only to stop and look down. On Yuki's desk lay a single piece of paper with one paragraph of homework on it dated today. But a few lines below in Yuki's handwriting was a simple line of words:

Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru Haru

-----

Just as Haru walked past it the phone began to ring, picking it up he answered, "Hello?……Oh hey…….no Shigure's not here. What do you want to speak to him for?…….What do you mean nothing?…..Momiji your being scarily more hyper than usual what's going on?……Okay okay, I won't ask. Do you want me to get Shigure to call you back?….oh ok…yeah, bye." Haru put the phone down and frowned. Momiji sounded as though he was trying his hardest not to laugh.

"WE'RE BACK!!"

Haru turned to the front door to see it slide open, a very secretively smirking Shigure and still hyperly happy Ayame standing in the doorway.

"Now now Haru," said Shigure, suddenly seeing Haru's frown, "You're not still Black are you?"

"I'm not frowning at you." Haru said, truly no longer caring about those two, at least for the minute, "Momiji just called asking for you."

Shigure's eyes widened slightly while Ayame started laughing, "Oh he did, did he?" said Shigure, a nervous smile on his face.

Ayame walked around from behind Shigure and rested his arm on Shigure's shoulder; calming his laughing, "Tell me Haru, do you think you'll be able to show us what you have in that bag of yours?"

It took a moment for Haru to realise before his expression changed to true annoyance, "That traitor!" he screamed at the phone, "I'll kill Momiji!"

Ayame and Shigure both started laughing, "We'll take that as a no then." Shigure laughed, at least until Haru turned his angry glare towards them,

"And you two!" Haru shouted, "What the hell have you been doing?" Haru attempted to calm his voice, he really couldn't be bothered to deal with them right now so turning Black would only waste time, "You've obviously been at the main house if you've been talking to Momiji!" he said, trying to be calmer.

"We haven't just been to the main house." Said Shigure, taking off his shoes.

"No no, we've been all over the place," said Ayame, walking over to Haru and ruffling his hair, "I shouldn't worry yourself Haru," he chuckled, "It'll all be alright!"

Haru stared at him, "……What have you done?"

Shigure and Ayame trying to look innocent was a definite sign of trouble.

-----

Yuki had returned from his Garden just in time for dinner, ("WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SERVING STEWED LEEKS AGAIN?!" Kyo screamed, backing away from his plate. "Oh don't you remember Kyo?" asked Tohru, giving a plate to Haru, "Shigure asked me yesterday if we could have them today."), Ayame stayed to enjoy the meal then headed off back home, ("Be good children, especially you two!" Ayame exclaimed, winking towards Haru and Yuki, both of them giving him an icy glare), while Tohru simply sat quietly, occasionally glancing at Yuki grinning inside at what she had found in his room earlier. He does like him like that, I just know it.

It wasn't until around 10pm when there came a knock on Yuki's bedroom door. "Come in?" he said, as Haru slid the door back.

Yuki looked up at him, memories of pretty much every embarrassing moment this weekend suddenly flashing across his mind. "It's alright I'm…I'm not coming in." Haru said a little sadly, suddenly chickening out of talking to Yuki this evening, "I'm just letting you know that I'll sleep downstairs again tonight."

Yuki took the liberty of looking a little guilty, "I shouldn't let what my brother does get to you. He was just being an idiot as usual. You can stay up here, I know it does get cold down there." Yuki really wanted Haru to stay here this evening, for no other reason other than yes it does get cold down there, they had agreed to it in the first place, Tohru had already made up a bed on the floor and well, he wanted Haru to be with hi- to stay with hi-no, that is to sleep wit…

SHUT UP, Yuki screwed his eyes shut for a moment to clear those thoughts from his head before looking back up at Haru.

"No, I'll stay downstairs, it's alright." Haru said, even though the look in Yuki's eye for him to stay was genuine, he it would just be too awkward, "Night then."

As Haru turned to leave, Yuki suddenly stood up from his bed, "No stay here." Yuki winced mental at how pathetic that sounded, "I, I mean, I…" there was no point in trying to make excuses. He looked at the ground suddenly embarrassed, "I… would like you to stay here."

Haru noticed the way Yuki was trying to avoid his eyes. Now he definitely wouldn't be able to stay in the same room, Yuki was just being too cute for his own safety! When Haru didn't say anything, Yuki risked looking back up at him to see him smiling sweetly at him. Leaning forward slightly, he kissed Yuki on his right cheek and turned around.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

Yuki stood there with exactly the same expression as the night before when Haru had kissed him. Well do something then! His mind screamed at him, but his body refused to move. How can such a small simple act completely freeze the whole body? Yuki slowly looked down at the floor, bringing his hand up to touch his cheek. There were so many things he should be thinking about, so many things he should be doing. He looked back to the stairs where Haru had just walked and suddenly felt very alone. It was a stupid thing to feel really. He had never shared his room with anyone before, so why should he now? Is it just because that now he knows someone should be sharing with him and yet is choosing not to? Or is it because he always feels alone when he knows Haru is around but not with him? Yuki turned to go back inside his room but stopped and stared at his pillows.

He suddenly had a thought.

-----

Haru slowly climbed back in the conscious world and yawned. There was no light filtering though his eyelids from the paper doors so it was obviously still the middle of the night. Bringing his arm up from under the covers, he opened one eye and peered sleepily at the green light coming from his digital watch. It flashed 2.28am and Haru shut his eyes. Unfortunately, as always happens if Haru ever wakes up in the night, it is impossible to go back to sleep for the first thing his mind thinks of is Yuki.

Yuki. Fast asleep somewhere above him, tucked up safe and warm under the bed covers.

Haru shivered.

Yuki was right, because just like the night before, it was getting rather chilly down here. Pulling the covers closer around him, Haru snuggled down a little further to try and get warm when something suddenly pressed itself against his back. Haru eyes flew open, his first instinct being that someone was attacking him, but before he had a chance to move, the thing behind him wrapped an arm around his chest and whispered sleepily.

"Shut up. I'm too tried to know what I'm doing. And you're shivering."

Yuki?! Cried Haru's mind, eyes still wide but no longer in fear or shock. Well, maybe still in shock. Had Yuki been down here the whole time? How long had he been sleeping here? Yuki didn't move after that, just lay there pressed up against him trying to keep him warm.

Great, now sleep's really out the window, thought Haru, desperately trying to keep an ever creeping Black Haru away. Haru shut his eyes tightly telling that side of his personally to kindly piss off! This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and he wasn't going to scare Yuki away by trying to jump him in the middle of the night. A few moments later Yuki's breathing had slowed and became evident he was fast asleep. Haru however seemed to be holding his breath. Fear that if he breathed too heavily and woke Yuki up, he'd truly realise what he was doing and leave.

Haru didn't want Yuki to leave. He was so warm, pressed up against his back, one arm casually draped over his chest. This was something Haru admitted to dreaming about many a time, well, this was something his White personally would dream, if his Black personality was in charge of the dreams at the time then there would be a certain little thing happening before this contented sleep.

Haru very quickly pushed that thought away and slowly took a deep breath. Closing his eyes again, he tried to will his mind to relax. A few minutes later, Haru genuinely did fall asleep. Despite the fact that his brain was finding it very difficult to sleep knowing that it's true love was holding him close, it was obviously a lot easy than it thought. Falling asleep with Yuki felt right, it felt comfortable, and this was one night that Haru didn't dream anything, for the dream was already being played out in reality.

To Be Continued…