Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Black & White Heart ❯ Journey Home ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 29: Journey Home

Ding dong..............................ding dong......................... Ding dong....

"Yeah what?"

The delivery man looked up, pressing the side of his hand against his forehead to block out the sun, to see Kyo standing on the roof, hands on his hips, glaring down at him.

"Oh, excuse me but, is a Shigure Sohma here?" he enquired.

Kyo jumped down to the ground right in front of him, the man standing back a little in surprise, "He's not here."

The delivery man looked a little worried, looked back to the forest, then back to Kyo, "Well, I've got a delivery for him, would you mind signing on behalf of him?" he asked, holding out the clipboard he was clutching.

Kyo raised a curious eyebrow considering the man wasn't holding any packages, but took the board anyway. Signing it and handing it back, he took another look to make he hadn't missed anything around him and asked,

"What is it?"

"OK YOU CAN BRING THEM THROUGH!"

"Huh?!"

Out from the pathway through the forest leading from the road, four other men came carrying a large bubble wrapped bookcase, followed by another four men carrying a second large bubble wrapped bookcase.

"Hey what-"Kyo started, as the first delivery man held back the front door so the bookcases could get through. As he thought back to Haru's room earlier and the shelves the builder was putting up, only one sentence came to mind;

"...WHAT THE HELL IS WITH ALL THE SHELVES?!?!!"

-----

Yuki walked over and collapsed on his bed, eyes closed relaxing back onto the pillow. Keeping away from Haru when he had turned Black was an exhausting endeavor.

"Heh heh, you little tease, you know want me in there."

And had had to resort to luring him back into their room, out the corridor, before rushing back in and locking the door behind him. Now Haru was outside the room, still Black, trying to tempt Yuki into letting him in again.

Which he wasn't going to do.

"Cool your head Haru!" Yuki shouted back from the bedroom, as he lay there thinking there must be someway of snapping Haru out of his Black side, someway really simple. He'd have to figure it out if he was going to stay with him, he couldn't have him attacking him every five minutes after all.

Although, maybe he should throw a towel out for him first.

-----

It had been a long walk, but Kane finally arrived at his destination. Ok, so he had followed Yuki home a couple of times, just to watch him as he used to do. Pretty handy now otherwise he wouldn't have known where he lived. Walking up to the front door of Shigure's house, Kane raised his hand to knock on the door, and paused. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea to let them see him, he doubted they'd be very happy that he used to stalk Yuki. Maybe if he just left it on the front door porch they'd see it and return it. Stepping down, he reached into the bag to take a look at his dress one last time. It was a very pretty dress, shame it couldn't be put to any use.

"JUST GO BACK OUT SHOPPING WOULD YOU IT WAS MUCH QUIETER WHEN YOU WEREN'T HERE!"

"Ohh, but, but Kyo..."

Kane looked to the door with the voices from the other side. He recognised Kyo's voice, the usual grumpy mood, so decided it would probably be best to vacate the area as soon as possible. He didn't want Kyo catching him sneaking around his own home. So, he was about to put the dress back into its bag, when a string of very co-incidental events took place.

First, a gust of the strong wintry wind snatched the dress out of Kane's hand, taking it away up into the air fluttering around the space just outside the house. Second, there was a:

"STOP IT KYO AND COME BACK HERE SO I CAN BRUSH YOUR HAIR!"

Before the door suddenly burst open, a pissed looking Kyo ran through, just at the moment where the wind carrying the dress decided to pull it towards the ground at a super speed, and straight over Kyo's head.

"Err..." Kane began, his hand still in front of him where he had been holding the dress, now looking at Kyo, standing looking stunned and confused, now sporting the pink and purple maids outfit that had someone slipped over his head and into perfect wearing.

The silence was disturbed only by the rustles of the last autumn leaves blowing away in the wind.

"Err, hehehh, I'll...just be going now." Kane stuttered, turning to walk away past Kyo quickly and quietly.

"What..." Kyo growled, not looking at anyone due to the annoyed and embarrassing redness now in his cheeks, "Are you doing here?"

Kane laughed nervously once again, "Err, I was just, returning...the dre-"

"This is the dress you made that damn Rat wear?"

Rat? Kane thought, but only for a second, "Yuki, err...yeah?"

Kyo looked up, a mortified expression on his still red face.....

"GET THIS THING OFF OF M-"

"Aww Kyo, you look so cuuuuute!" said Kagura, suddenly appearing on the scene, and bringing out of no where a pink bow placing it delicately on top of Kyo's head, "There, now that completes it!" she smiled sweetly, her hands clasped together adoring this 'new look'.

Kagura, being completely oblivious, Kane was the only one to see the steam practically rising out of Kyo's head, and, gulping once, made a swift dash for safety,

"If you could give that back to Yuki's brother, thanks!!" he said nervously, running quickly away into the forest as Kyo's fists clenched tighter and tighter,

"Bye!"

-----

"Whatever you're thinking, stop it."

"I'm not thinking anything, my minds a complete blank."

".......are you sure you're not black anymore?"

"I don't think so."

It had been a long time that Haru had been locked outside their room. His Black side had been particularly persistent this time, but no matter how many creative ways of trying to get Yuki to open the door to him, some that made Yuki blush quite a lot while he lay there waiting, Yuki was just as persistent and did not open the door to the pleading Haru. Now the two of them stood in the bedroom packing their bags to go home, and Haru had been constantly looking at him through the corner of his eye the whole time. Yuki wasn't sure if he was really back to White or not, and was very jumpy at every slight move he made towards him. Yuki finally gave up and glared at him, walking into the adjourning dining area to check they hadn't left anything behind.

Haru smiled his serene little smile and stared into his bag. Everything was going to be alright now, nothing would matter as long as he had Yuki. Staring into his bag, he found his eyes lying on an inside pocket, the pocket where he kept his secret little item away from all prying eyes. Looking back to check Yuki wasn't watching, he un-zipped the pocket to take a little look. Not that he'd really need it anymore, but he'd spent a lot of time making this, maybe he'd keep it as a keep sake of 'before Yuki finally became his boyfriend' days.

Hmm, boyfriend...he liked that.

What the...?Haru's eyes became wide as he searched inside for his item, feeling nothing but empty space,

IT'S GONE?!!

-----

Ding dong....................ding dong..........................ding dong...

"WHAT NOW!?!?"

The front door was slid back very forcefully as Kyo stood on the other side fuming down at the second delivery man of the day.

"Er..." the young man stuttered at the piercing look in Kyo's eyes, "I- I have a delivery for a Shigure Sohma?"

Kyo eyed the man carefully, the front hallway already cluttered up with the two bookcases from earlier, and seeing no packages around this man either, Kyo was going to be wary of what he signed for this time.

"He's not here, what is it?"

"Um, we're delivering a desk and a bookca-"

"OH NO you don't!!" Kyo suddenly intervened, snatching the clipboard out of the mans hand and storming off down the pathway through the forest to the road,

"Hey, Sir you can't-"

"Hey watch it there kid!!"

Kyo came to a screeching halt as he turned round a tree, almost bashing head first into the side of a bookcase being carried by two other delivery men, this bookcase a little smaller than the other two. The younger delivery man caught up with Kyo and snatched the clipboard back out his hands, straightened his jacket, and held it back out to Kyo,

"Would you mind signing on behalf of him?"

-----

"Are you alright?" Yuki asked, walking back into the bedroom carrying a jumper he had left by the table, to see Haru practically half way under the bed.

"Ouch." At hearing Yuki's voice, Haru had attempted to sit up, not realising he was still under the bed, and had banged the back of his head straight against the wooden under boarding. Crawling back out backwards, he sat on his heels rubbing the back of his head, "Yeah, I just...it doesn't matter."

Yuki blinked at him, stood there for a moment, before walking back over to his own bag and placing the jumper inside.

Haru looked at Yuki from the floor and bit his bottom lip. What would Yuki think if he found it? Where was it?! Well, with any luck, now they were together, he shouldn't think much of it. Maybe he'd think it was cute?.....hmmm, he doubted Yuki would ever call anything cute.

Yuki watched the puzzled expression on Haru's face reflected in a nearby mirror, and smiled.

He is rather cute.

-----

"Come on Shigure! We have to get back before they do!" said Ayame, standing in the reception area with his suitcase having already called a cab, waiting for Shigure who was currently talking to one of the maids at the corner of a doorframe. She was one of the maids who had so kindly kept Ayame's hair our of the mud last night, and whatever Shigure was saying to her she had a small cute blush on her cheeks, Shigure talking away before winking at her, and finally heading back over to Ayame.

"Honestly Shigure," Ayame said, his voice faking that of someone being upset, "I can get quite jealous when you find yourself more interested in another girl than me."

Shigure grinned at him and picked up his own suitcase, just in time as the cab pulled up outside. "Now now Aya, nothing can compare to you my friend."

Ayame swished his hair back a little and winked at him.

"Well, let's get home then," said Shigure, walking out into the cold, "I'm expecting a few bits and pieces at home and need to sort them out before Yuki and Haru get back."

-----

Ding dong....................ding dong.............ding dong ding dong dingdongdingdong dingdongdingdong dingdongdingdong dingdongdingdong-

"WHAAAAAAAT?!!?!!!?!?!?"

"IS SHIGURE BACK YET PLEASE SAY HE'S BACK NOW!??!!"

Kyo, really getting fed up with how many people were ringing the door bell today, came face to face with a near to tears Mii, nose to nose with Kyo who took a step back quickly to avoid any further unwanted contact.

"Err, no, he's not here."

How many times had he said Shigure wasn't here today?

Mii stood there for a moment, her eyes wobbling overly dramatically, before her suddenly stood firmly, "Ok, fine!" she said sternly, walking past Kyo into Shigure's office, sitting in his chair and crossing her arms, "I'm staying here until he gets back!"

"What? Hey you can't-"Kyo, began, reaching out towards her before,

"Would you like a nice cup of tea?" asked Kagura, poking her head round the door next to Kyo.

"Oh that would be lovely." Mii sighed relived, as she sat there waiting for her novelist to return to his lair.

-----

"Haru are you sure you're alright?"

Since they had left their room with their bags to wait for the coach to take them home, Haru had been looking at the floor rather intently, as if searching for something, which of course he was, but he couldn't tell Yuki.

"I'm fine." He said, his voice far away as not paying attention, just as the door in front of him swung open straight into his face.

"Oh my! I'm so sorry!" the young maid said, bowing apologetically to Haru sprawled out on the floor holding his nose. Yuki knelt down and took Haru's hand away from his face to make sure nothing was broken. Good, nothing was bleeding.

"Worried about me?" Haru said, as Yuki looked at him wide eyed, before quickly standing up.

"N, no, yes, I am-was, I-." He said stuttered, looking away.

Haru smiled and stood back up, it would seem in front of other people Yuki wasn't quite ready to show any feelings yet.

Haru would make sure that would change soon enough though.

"Ohh, excuse me but, weren't you two part of the Sohma group staying here?" she asked, her hands behind her back almost as if she was hiding something.

"Yes." Yuki replied.

The maid blushed a little, looked away, then back at the two boys, "Oh, would it be possible for you to give this back to Shigure?"

Yuki wondered since when the maids had referred to their guests by their first names, but stopped his thought when the maid brought her hands back out from behind her back and held out something for Yuki to take.

"He, err, left it in the mud baths last night."

Last night? But we weren't in the mud bath last ni-

It was then Yuki, and Haru for that matter, both noticed what she was holding out. It was Shigure's digital camera he had borrowed off of Mii. Looking at the blush on the girl's cheeks, the two boys turned to look at each other, both holding the same thought.

What exactly was he using a camera for in the Mud Baths?

-----

It had been a long journey home for the two elder zodiacs, the snow storm the night before had knocked over quite a few trees and the traffic was heavy. Still, finally they arrived at the pathway leading through the forest, paid the cab driver, and started back towards the house.

"I wonder, don't you think it's going to be too obvious it's not for him?" Ayame was saying, as Shigure had somehow got lumbered with drabbing both suitcases as Ayame was trying to stay warm walking through the forest all wrapped back up in his fur coat.

"Well, I think it's got to the stage where it's not really going to matter any more for them. Still," Shigure continued, smirking every so slightly, "We still have to see what Kyo's going to think about it all."

As they continued walking, the house soon came in view, and walking towards them was another group of people. Soon the two groups walked past each other, and Shigure stopped.

"Ah, all finished is it?"

The manager of B&B bricks and buildings walked up to him, "Yep, all done, although I do apologise, one the employees mentioned about the, selves, to err, one of the kids here." He said, glaring across at the younger builder who had been talking to Kyo earlier on this morning.

"Oh don't worry," Shigure smiled, "It's alright now anyway."

"Well, that's good then. Everything's paid in advance so we'll just be off, thanks for your business." The manager said politely, walking ahead of the group and grabbing that younger builder by the shoulders.

As Shigure and Ayame continued walking, there was a faint "If you'd cost us that job by talking about that it would have cost ityour job you got it?" "Sorry Sir!!" coming from the builders walking away. Still, that meant that Haru's room was all finished now, just in time for Christmas. Shigure was glad, he hadn't wanted it to be left till after the holidays, dust and mess left about his house, he had that enough already with Kyo and Yuki's fights, Kyo and Haru's fights, Kyo and Kagura's fights, he wondered what kind of a state his house was in now, and Black Haru vs anything fights. Oh and err, Black Haru attacking Yuki flail-about-on-the-floor fights.

Shigure grinned.

"Alright, what the hell is going on!!??!"

As they walked into view, Shigure and Ayame found Kyo standing on the porch glaring at them, surrounded by about four more mahogany bookcases that had arrived.

Shigure put on his most innocent face and walked up to the porch, looking round at the bookcases before standing there looking confused, "I have no idea."

"DON'T LIE!" Kyo screamed at him, entirely fed up with being left with Kagura for the weekend, and now the mystery of all these 'packages' for Shigure turning up.

"Oh dear, they must have sent them to the wrong address." Shigure continued on his innocence rant, Kyo standing there fuming at the Dog.

"Ah so they have arrived!!" said Ayame, joining them after watching Kagura for a moment making a snowman by the side of the house.

"Ohhh, Ayaaaa," Shigure whined, pouting, "You spoiled my innocent façade."

"Hmm?" Ayame said, placing his palm on the side of one of the bookcases and moving down the smooth surface, "Hm, I could use one of these for the shop." He mumbled.

"Lookie look!!" Kagura suddenly shot round from the side of the house, grabbed Ayame's arm, and dragged him back, "Look what someone brought round! Isn't it from your shop Ayame?"

Ayame looked down to see the snowman Kagura had been building was now dressed in the pink and purple maid's outfit that Kane had brought round earlier.

"Oooooohh isn't it darling!!!" was all Shigure and Kyo heard as they stayed round the front of the house. Ignoring them, Kyo turned back to Shigure.

"What is going on? What does Haru need all these bookcases for?!"

Shigure simply smiled all knowingly, raised his eyebrows for a moment, and walked back inside the house.

"SHIIIIIIGUUUUUUUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

"AH! Ah hahaha! Mii!" Shigure said, after her frightening the life out of him jumping out of his office at him screaming at the top of her lungs.

"1! Where is your manuscript it is NOT on your desk, 2! What is your new idea? And 3!, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TOO ME ALL THE TIMEEE!!!" She wailed, before bursting into a fresh array of tears, collapsing to the floor.

With Shigure trying to console a hysterical Mii, and Ayame and Kagura laughing and admiring the fashion the snowman had, Kyo turned back to the forest.

What the heck had he done to live with these complete maniacs?!

-----

Yuki and Haru sat on the coach taking them back home once again. Yuki sat once again staring out the window, his head in his hand as his elbow rested on the side. It was exactly the same as when they had arrived, with Haru sitting next to him cross legged staring up at the ceiling. But, there was one small difference.

Yuki had reached out to hold Haru's hand when they had first got on, and was still holding it now on the journey home.

To Be Continued...