Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Sapphire ❯ The White Alchemist and the Elrics ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-I got some of this chapter from the episode 6: The Alchemy Exam. I could not think what to put in the chapter for the exam so I just took some stuff from the anime. Which all rights does not go to me they go to Hiromu Arakawa. I only own Rain and Ivi.-
 
-The White Alchemist and the Elrics-
 
The Major led them to Central headquarters.
 
Knock Knock
 
“Lieutenant Colonel Mustang, I have brought you Rain Wood as ordered.”
 
“Thank you Major. So Rain you want to become a state alchemist. Well you came just in time for it; you won't have much time to study for the test.”
 
“That's alright, as you know my father was a state alchemist known as the Sapphire Alchemist. He passed away a year ago and he taught me everything that I will need for the exam.”
 
“Well then, the exam will begin in one hour.”
 
“What?! In one hour? Are you crazy? Why didn't you tell me to come earlier?”
 
“I thought that you just said that you were ready to take the exam?”
 
“I am I just didn't think that it would be this soon.” Rain said nervously.
 
“I did say that you got here just in time.”
 
Today is just not my day.
 
“Well then you sir. I will see you in an hour then.” Rain walked out of the building.
 
“What's wrong sis?” Rain saw a young girl about the age of ten, with long silver hair and purple eyes, running toward her.
 
“It's okay Ivi, I just got to take the test sooner then I expected.”
 
“When do you have to take it?”
 
“In less that an hour.”
 
“Wow that is quick.”
 
“Yeah, I know. Let's go find something to eat before; I have taken the written exam.”
 
“But we don't know what there is to eat here.”
 
“It's central, I'm sure they have almost everything you could think of.”
 
“I know, but what if they don't cook it right?”
 
“Ivi, why do you have to be such a picky eater? Before it happened you would eat anything that wouldn't eat you first.”
 
“Sis, I miss brother.”
 
“I thought I told you to not mention him anymore.” Rain's eyes started to water.
 
Sean I miss you too. If it wasn't for father I would be alone right now. She looked down at her right ring finger and saw a diamond moon on a silver band. Mother. It was her mother's wedding ring. She left it the day she left it the day that she left to care for her father.
 
Has it really been a year? It feels much longer.
 
They went to some restaurant that they have never heard of.
 
“I hope they have something I will like.” Ivi told her sister.
 
“So do I.” Rain agreed with her sister, know what she was like when it came to food, Rain doubted there would be something Ivi liked here.
 
They ordered their food and surprising Ivi liked her food.
 
“Sis, why aren't you eating?” Ivi asked her sister.
 
“I guess it is just nerves.”
 
“You will do fine sis. You couldn't have done what we have done, if you don't have what it takes to be a state alchemist.”
 
“Thanks sis.” Rain looked down at her watch. “Oh crap! I'm going to be late if I don't leave now!” She threw down some money on the table.
 
“That should cover the bill; make sure that you get the change.” She said as she ran out of the restaurant central headquarters.
 
“Good luck sis!” Ivi called out to her sister.
 
Rain made it with ten minutes to spare. She found then door that led to the room where the test was going to take place. She took a deep breath and opened the door.
 
“You were almost late. I almost thought that you chickened out.” The colonel said.
 
“Well I didn't here I am.”
 
“Yes you are, now take a seat.”
 
Rain looked at the huge crowd of people, and they were all starring at her, then she realized why they were starring at her, no woman as ever tried to be a state alchemist. Rain sat down at a near by table.
 
“Right now that we are all here. We will now begin the preliminary exam. Good luck.” said a man with a black eye patch over his right eye.
 
Rain looked down at her now open test.
 
Question 1: What does an alchemist use when he creates alchemy?
 
Well duh! A transmutation circle. I thought this was supposed to be hard, oh well. Rain looked ahead to see how many questions where on the test. What?! 500 questions! How am I supposed to do that in two hours?
 
-Two hours later-
 
Rain stepped out of the building and her sister came running to her.
 
“Hey sis how did it go?”
 
I didn't finish and I don't think that I can perform alchemy anymore because I can't feel my arm anymore.”
 
“It will be okay sis. When is the interview?”
 
“Tomorrow.”
 
“Well let's go to the hotel. I'm sure that you are tired.”
 
“Yeah my brain hurts.”
 
-The next day-
 
Rain and Ivi walked to central headquarters.
 
“Good luck sis.”
 
“Thanks sis!”
 
Rain walked into a dark room with only one light, and there stood a gold chair with three legs.
 
A chair with three legs, it shouldn't keep its balance.
 
“Take a seat. Alchemy is the science of balance. If you have the gift, it should not refuse you. Go on, then. State alchemists are not afraid.
 
Rain walked over to the chair and sat down on the golden chair.
 
“Very good. Now, tell me why you wish to be an alchemist for our military.”
 
Rain didn't say anything at first.
 
“I'm waiting.”
 
“Because I made a promise to the family I got left. I told her that I would become an alchemist for the state just like our father did.”
 
-Two days later at the practical-
 
“Welcome to the practical exam. We have provided you with some nice raw materials for your alchemy.” He said as he indicated to the trees, the pound and the mountains. “You may use them as you see fit.
 
“What the hell am I suppose to create to impress them?” Rain said to herself.
 
Rain didn't pay much attention to the other alchemist, when it hit her what she could do.
 
She walked over to the trees and grabbed some leaves and twigs, and then she went over to the pound. She clapped her hands and placed them each on the water and twigs. A blue light appeared, and then it was replaced with a white light.
 
Six small butterflies flew away from her and circle everyone in the crowd.
 
“Alchemy without circles, I have only seen one person who can do that.” Mustang said to himself.
 
“I think we found our alchemist, the first female too.” The Fuhrer said to the crowd.
 
“Come with me, Rain.” Mustang told her and she followed him.
 
“So which part do you have?” He asked her.
 
“The diamond.”
 
“You know people are going to question you reasons.”
 
“I don't care! I'm going to fix what is wrong.”
 
“So you are going to try and transform your sister back into a human and your left arm?”
 
“How did you know?”
 
“I know more then you think.”
 
“I suppose so.”
 
“I will have your first mission tomorrow. Meanwhile take this.” He said as he threw her a silver pocket watch. “It's what identifies you as state alchemist.”
 
“I thought that there was going to be a ceremony or something.”
 
“That's what they all say. So congratulations Rain you are now a dog of the military.”
 
Rain left after that.
 
“Hey sis, I just heard; the first female alchemist ever!”
 
“Yep that's me!” she said with a smile on her face.
 
“Let's go celebrate!” Ivi said to her sister.
 
-The next day-
 
“Your first mission is going to be traveling with the Elric brothers. I believe you know something they will need and vise versa, and before you go, you have been issued your official state title by the Fuhrer.
 
“We give the name `White' to thee Rain Wood, in the name of Fuhrer King Bradley.”
 
“White?”
 
“Along with the pocket watch every one of us is assigned a symbolic second name, depending on your talents. And yours is `White'. The White Alchemist.”
 
“Tell him that I like it. Where can I find these brothers?”
 
“They are standing outside of the door.”
 
“Fullmetal and Al come in. Fullmetal I have a new mission for you. You are to travel with Miss Wood or now she is called the White Alchemist. She knows about something that you might find interesting. The same goes for you White Alchemist. You may go.” Mustang said to the trio.
 
They left to start their journey together.