Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Other Half ❯ Word from Ryla ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Word from Ryla
 
It was another bad day. It had been 5 days since he fainted at HQ now and every day he felt like something bad was about to happen. Sure he felt fine, never better. Exept for the nagging feeling. Today it was the worst. Something would happen today. He looked at the clock, 12.29. In a few minutes it would be exactly 5 days ago he had lost consciousness.
There was a knock on the door. Riza probably. He was right.
“Sir, there is mail for you”
“Hm? What could it be?”
“Don't ask me sir, it's not my mail” Riza answered.
Roy sweatdropped. “It wasn't a serious question...”
Just as he accepted the mail Edward Elric stormed in, like usual he looked annoyed just by being in the Colonel's presence. He opened his mouth to start a rant about God knows what, but Roy stopped him.
“Please wait, Edward. I've got something important to read first.”
“Peh! Since when is paperwork important to you?”
“Since this isn't paperwork, but a letter from my family, Fullmetal. Not that it is any of your business”
Roy sounded irritated as he started to read the letter.
“Oh from your twin?” Edo asked.
“I said it wasn't - ....” Roy fell silent as he suddenly looked as pale as 5 days ago.
“Colonel, what's wrong?” Edo looked at Riza when he didn't answer, but she raised her shoulders, indicating she didn't know either.
When he looked back he gasped. Roy was crying. Crying!
Silent tears escaped his eyes as he read the letter over and over again. Finally he put the letter down and hid his face in his hands, shoulders shaking from silent despair. The nagging feeling... He was wrong, it had already happened!
Riza walked up to embrace Roy, but he barely even noticed. Edo too walked up to try and comfort his superior, his eyes fell on the letter lying in front of the shaking Colonel. A few words caught his attention and he gasped. He hugged the Colonel like his life depended on it, stroking the man's hair like he was a boy needing comfort from his mother.
“We are sorry to inform you that on the 12th of august at 12.41 Ryla Maria Mustang passed away from injuries in the hospital. She has had an accident...”
Roy burried his face in the shoulder of his subordinate, now crying so heartbreaking Riza and Edo felt their own tears starting.
“What's...?” Officer Falman started, but wisely shut up when he saw the crying form of the normally ever strong Flame Alchemist. Riza shook her head, indicating not to say anything. Falman nodded and left quietly, closing the door behind him. He would make sure the others wouldn't disturb them. Three faces looked at him expectantly and with worry in their eyes.
“Did something happen to Edward? We heard crying.” Havoc asked bluntly. Falman shook his head.
“It was the Colonel”
“...Wha -?! Oh, Riza brought him a letter, right?”
Falman nodded. A silence filled the room only to be disrupted by the muffled sounds of despair from the other room.