Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ Heero's Dilemma ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next morning Jacinda was up early once again preparing breakfast for the pilots. She was tired, but beaming. The hug Trowa had given her had brightened her spirit. She knew those boys weren't like their Gundams, cold, a sight for sore eyes, but a puppet waiting for each pilot to control their next move. No, these boys, as strong, honorable, and more grown up then they should have been, still craved love, care, and understanding. And as she heard the sounds of footsteps upstairs Jacinda made it her goal to make sure that each boy was given that nurturing before they left her village.
 
A little while later Trowa and Quatre walked into the kitchen, blurry eyed, but at ease.
 
“Hey guys!” Jacinda said with a smile. “Did you sleep well out there?”
 
Quatre smiled.
 
“Yes we did!” He said. “The dog didn't move away from Trowa at all!”
 
Jacinda smiled as Trowa stifled a yawn.
 
“Well I am glad to hear that.” She said. “Trowa, I hope you aren't angry that we need to keep the dog outside while we have breakfast. I promise once we finish up he'll be the morning's number one priority.”
 
Trowa nodded a slight smile on his face.
 
“Good.” Jacinda said. “Now go wash up in the bathroom down here. Breakfast is almost already and I hear the rest of your crew milling around upstairs. They should be down soon.”
 
“Alright!” Quatre said. “We won't be long.”
 
Just as Trowa and Quatre disappeared from the kitchen Wufei, Heero, and Duo came bounding down.
 
“Morning!” Jacinda said cheerily. “Hope everyone slept okay?”
“Like a baby!” Duo said with a stretch, then sniffed. “Oh man, something smells real good!!”
 
Jacinda laughed as she started placing the finished product in a stack on a plate.
 
“Do you guys like waffles”
 
“You bet we do!” Duo said practically drooling over the golden brown stack on the counter while Heero and Wufei began setting the table. Temptation was rising in Duo just as Quatre and Trowa returned to the kitchen.
 
“Where you were two?” Wufei asked not beating around any bush. When the three boys had woken they had noticed their counterparts were missing.
 
Quatre blushed unsure how to answer.
 
“Morning walk.” Trowa said quickly. “I woke up early and couldn't fall back to sleep so I went for a stroll. Quatre kindly accompanied me.”
 
“That's right!” Quatre said nervously. “A walk, it is a beautiful morning after all.”
 
Wufei just sniffed whereas Heero grunted.
 
“Oh waffles!” Quatre said quickly changing the subject. “Do you need any help Jacinda?”
 
The nurse smiled while catching Duo in the corner of her eye attempting to steal a golden brown square.
 
“I am just about done, you boys have a seat and don't even think about it Duo Maxwell.” She said without turning her back. “Or else your hand is going to meet a terrible fate with my spatula.”
 
Duo yipped and raced over to the table.
 
“Damn she's good!” He said.
 
“You are so rude!” Wufei said annoying. “Can't you wait till the food is on the table to begin stuffing yourself?”
 
“I can't help it, force of habit!” Duo argued.
 
“Nataku forbid Bastian doesn't pick up any of those habits.”
 
“MAMA!”
 
“Speaking of which.” Trowa said.
 
Bastian came running down the stairs in his long nightshirt and his bunny. Immediately Jacinda was kneeling down as the boy ran into her open arms.
 
“Good morning baby!” She said giving him a hug and a kiss. “Did you sleep well?”
 
“Yuh huh, I want breakfast.”
 
The boys snickered as Jacinda rolled her eyes.
 
“What's the magic word?”
 
“Oh, I want breakfast please!”
 
Jacinda sighed as the boys tried to stifle their laughter.
 
“Close enough.” She said putting him down. “Yes you may, go sit.”
 
“YAAY!” Bastian said as he climbed into his chair right in between Heero and Duo. Immediately the boy turned to Heero with a bright smile.
 
“Waffles are my favorite.” He said as Jacinda forked one on his plate and began cutting it up for him. “Do you like waffles Heero?”
 
The boy didn't answer. Just blushed and turned his head away.
 
“You kidding?!” Duo said smiling. “He sure does like them! He beats me in the eating department on that one! Why he can polish off a whole plate of them before they have even cooled on the table.”
 
Heero's eyes shot up wide in embarrassment.
 
“I do not!” He argued.
 
That got Jacinda's attention as she finished cutting up the waffles on Bastian's plate so he could eat them easily. Did Heero Yuy actually have a love for anything outside of weapons and machinery?
 
“Oh are waffles your favorite breakfast food Heero?” She asked.
 
Quatre chuckled slightly while Heero just snarled.
 
“I have to agree with Duo on this one Heero.” He said. “When we make waffles at the safe house you seem to really enjoy them.”
 
“It's important to have a good meal before a day of work.” That was all Heero could muster.
 
“It's okay sweetheart.” She said as she sat down at the table. “No need to be all embarrassed. Since it appears you like them then I will definitely make some for you in the morning.”
 
“Do what you want.” Heero mumbled.
 
“As long as he gets to them before Duo does.” Trowa said.
 
“Hey!” Duo yelled looking indignant, though his mouth was full.
 
“Like hyenas fighting over a cut of meat they can be.” Wufei uttered.
 
“I'd say more like piranhas.” Quatre answered.
 
Jacinda could only laugh. She really was glad that even through this ugly war and what these pilots have endured; they were still teenaged boys at heart.
 
After the meal ended the pilots helped Jacinda clean up while Bastian went into the living room to play for a bit.
 
“So what is your plan for today guys?” She asked.
 
“I need to fix my suit.” Heero said quickly. “I have some parts upstairs I want to work on and then I will go out to my Gundam.”
 
Jacinda turned away from the sink where she was cleaning the dishes and looked over at Heero.
 
“Heero, you don't have to worry about your suit today, I thought maybe you would want to take another break?”
 
“I want to.” He said. “Please, just let me.”
 
“Don't even try to get him to cave Jacinda.” Duo said. “He's going to do it no matter what you say unlike the rest of us! We are going to take advantage of your offer for another day off!”
 
Duo stuck his tongue out at a glaring Heero.
 
Jacinda could see in Heero's eyes that he was determined to do so whether or not she agreed, so she gave in.
 
“Well alright honey.” She said. “If that's what you want to do. But please come back if you get tired or if your injuries start to bother you. If you have a communication piece on you, maybe give me the other half and you can call me. I can come get you if feel worn out.”
 
“I'll be fine.” The boy said as he finished his chore and went upstairs to get his gear ready. Jacinda could only shake her head. She then turned to Quatre and Trowa.
 
“We are pretty much done here. Why don't you two get our other plan for the day ready?”
 
“What plan?” Wufei inquired just as Bastian came into the kitchen wanting one of the pilots to play with him.
 
Quatre grinned.
 
“It's a surprise.”
 
“I LOVE SURPRISES!” Bastian squealed. Jacinda walked over to him.
 
“Why don't you two take Duo and Wufei outside while I get Bastian ready? We won't be long.”
 
“But Mama I want to see the surprise!” Bastian cried.
 
“It's okay Bastian, we have to get it ready!” Quatre said. “You just go with your mama.”
 
“Okay!” The boy said as Jacinda took his hand and led him upstairs to change into some old clothes while the four boys went outside.
 
“Alright `Tro spill it!” Duo asked. “What's up your sleeve?”
 
With a smirk Trowa whistled and out bounded the surprise which proceeded to knock the acrobat down and smother him in kisses. The boy chuckled happily.
 
Wufei raised his eyebrows in surprise while Duo grinned widely.
 
“Awesome a dog!” He said.
 
“Not just any dog.” Quatre said as he kneeled down to pet it.
 
Wufei then got the picture.
 
“That's the dog the villagers chased away!” He said.
 
“Yes it is!” Quatre said. “Trowa has been caring for him in the woods and Jacinda found out. She let him bring him home.”
 
Trowa got back on his feet.
 
“You helped.” He said to Quatre. “Jacinda said she would take care of him when we have to leave.”
 
Wufei smirked.
 
“What those villagers did to him was a great injustice.” He said. “I am glad to see that he was given a second chance.”
 
“Way to go Trowa!” Duo said. “But I still don't get what this plan is.”
 
Just then the sound of a backdoor slamming shut turned the boys attention away and they saw Jacinda and Bastian coming towards them. Immediately Bastian gasped happily.
 
“DOGGIE!” He yelled and tried to pull out of Jacinda's hand.
 
“Hold on a minute Bastian not so fast!” She said. “So I guess Trowa told you huh?”
 
“Yeah, but what is this plan you got going?” Duo asked.
 
“Well, we need some help.” Quatre said. “The dog needs some good cleaning up before he can go inside Jacinda's house.
 
“Yes we do, Bastian stop pulling!” Jacinda said as the boy kept trying to pull out of her hand.
 
“But I want to see the doggie!”
 
Jacinda sighed at the boy's impatience.
 
“He is going to need a flea dip and a bath and I have to examine him for any ticks and other signs of illness. It's not a one person job and I thought it would be a fun activity for Bastian and you guys! And I also need to keep Bastian under control when I do the exam as you can see. Think you guys can lend a hand?”
“Of course we can Jacinda!” Quatre said. “It would be an honor!”
 
The other boys nodded in agreement as Bastian once again tried pulling out of Jacinda's grasp.
 
“MAMA?!”
 
“Bastian, pull one more time and you go inside!” She said. “Behave yourself.”
 
The boy was on the verge of tears when Duo came over to him.
 
“Hey Bastian, who wants a piggyback ride!”
 
The boy began to sniffle.
 
“But I wanna play with the doggie.”
 
“Mama has to make sure the dog is okay before we can.” Jacinda looked down at him. “But then when I am done you can help us give him a bath okay?”
 
The boy wiped his eyes. Suddenly Duo got an idea.
 
“Hey Bastian look at me, woof woof!” The braided hair boy got down on all fours and began barking like a dog. “I'm a doggie too!”
 
Bastian began laughing while Duo began running around acting silly. Wufei glared at Duo as he ran in a circle around the other pilots barking while Trowa just rolled his eyes and Quatre grinned. The dog only cocked his head as if confused, but did not leave Trowa's side.
 
“You are acting like an idiot.” Wufei said
 
It got even better when Bastian ran to Duo and mimicked him.
 
“I doggie, arf arf!!”
 
Duo led the boy from the backyard as the two impersonated a dog.
 
“An idiot and his puppy.” Wufei said. “If that child comes out acting like Maxwell after we leave Ms. Jacinda I hope you won't bear any ill will towards the rest of us.”
 
Jacinda laughed.
 
“Sweetheart, I may not wish for my son to go through the pain you probably all have had, but I know you all have been a wonderful influence on him. I hope he grows up with the same spirit that all of you possess. I'll be right back.”
 
And with that Jacinda left to gather the supplies needed to take care of the dog.
 
While Duo and Bastian continued to play their game Jacinda and the three other pilots went about the task of taking care of the dog. While she wasn't a veterinarian, Jacinda knew the basics about animal care and was able to do a thorough medical assessment of the dog. Once again she was amazed at how well he was compared to almost a month ago when he was starved and wounded. Trowa had done an excellent job caring for him.
 
“Now the fun part.” Jacinda said as she pulled out a large pair of tweezers. “Time to get rid of the ticks. Try to keep him distracted boys while I pluck them.”
Thankfully the dog didn't put up much of a fuss what with Trowa's calming hand and Quatre's kind words. Wufei merely looked on as Jacinda searched his fur for the little buggers. They all were glad that he had less ticks on him then suspected.
 
“Now we got to do the flea dip.” Jacinda said as she pulled a large tub over and some other bottles. We've got a special lemon spray I am going to put on him first and then we are going to dip him into some warm water mixed with herbs that will not only get the fleas but freshen him up a bit. That's when we will call for Bastian and Duo.
 
While this was being done Bastian and Duo continued to romp around the yard.
 
“Arf, arf!” Bastian yelled as Duo chased him around.
 
“Oohh, puppy, woof, get the puppy, woof!” Duo said happily. He caught up with Bastian and immediately placed him on his shoulders.
 
“Got the puppy!” He said as he danced around while Bastian laughed with delight.
 
Little did they know their noise was causing a certain someone to become annoyed at their antics. A certain someone who sat upstairs all by himself with greasy hands as he tinkered with the parts on his bed. A certain someone who was becoming not just annoyed, but curious.
 
Of course he knew it was Duo making all that noise. Duo was by far the loudest of the group. But the sound of Duo mixed in with the merriment of Bastian was making his heart flutter. Without even really thinking about it, very un-Heero like, he crept over to the window and peered out. There he saw Duo bouncing around with Bastian. The little boy was laughing as Duo barked and danced about, his signature grin never leaving his face and his amethyst eyes sparkling.
 
“Hmm, that braided idiot.” Heero said to himself. “He has no sense of work ethic. If he had his way all he would do is play around and forget about the war.”
 
Suddenly Heero's heart sank.
 
“Then again, after what happened at the orphanage, I guess that's untrue. Whether or not he controlled Deathscythe probably still wouldn't stop him being a part of it. But why does he have to act so silly all the time? Doesn't he know how serious this all is?”
 
He continued to watch Duo, the way his braid bounced, the way he laughed, how he made Bastian smile, how his lithe body swayed here and there. Suddenly Heero felt uneasy.
 
“What is wrong with me?” He said. “I should get back to work. I know better than to dawdle like this.”
 
But he couldn't drag himself away from watching Duo and found himself reacting to the sight. Heero's heart began to thump and all thought of his suit left his mind and replaced with thoughts of Duo both from the past and present. All he could see was the innocent Duo fast asleep at the safe house in the bed next to him. The powerful Duo he as drove Deathsycthe through an OZ battle with a brave fierceness. The quiet Duo when he thought of his life with Solo and then the orphanage. And the Duo right now, the fun, caring Duo who took a little boy and made him smile with just a simple game, and one that had just took Heero's icy heart and slowly making it melt.
 
“Duo, Bastian! We need your help!” Jacinda's voice broke Heero out of his trance.
 
“Coming!” Duo said as he placed Bastian down from his soldiers.
 
“Let's go Duo!” Bastian said grabbing Duo's hand and pulling the teen out of Heero's sight. The perfect soldier snapped back to reality and found himself aroused, both physically and emotionally. And he didn't like it one bit.
 
Heero put a hand to his head. No, it couldn't be happening. J taught him, no emotion whatsoever. Respect for a fellow soldier yes, but not this, this powerful feeling coursing through him.
 
“No, no, I can't!” Heero said shaking slightly. “I can't let this happen! I can't have feelings for Maxwell!!”
 
Heero wasn't by all means inept when it came to ways of the human body. Dr. J had taught him early on about the anatomy of both men and women, hormones, puberty the like. The scientist knew nature, as much as he would have liked to prevent it, would come after Heero regardless of how hard he trained him. He also knew that if the war drew on and Heero grew older, the boy would encounter temptation. After all he was sent on spy missions and his hideout would be at numerous educational institutions. And all the while performing his mission Heero would be entrenched in the quagmire that was teenaged lust and desire. Dr. J. thought it better not to suppress the physical need the boy would come across and let him sow his wild oats, let him have a one night stand or two preferably with girls, but J didn't really care who the boy fancied as a sex partner so long as he got the job done. Dating was off limits UNLESS the mission required Heero to play the charmer to get vital information. Once the information was sought, Heero was to disappear. The number one rule was that it stayed physical. If emotion was involved it would deem Heero as weak. Something the boy would never allow himself to be.
 
And thus was the dilemma Heero was going through at this very moment.
 
“No, stop worrying!” Heero said to himself. “You're being ridiculous. All this rambunctiousness has led me astray! I must stay focused and get Wing repaired! No more fooling around, no matter what!”
 
With that Heero's mind and his body relaxed and he went back to his work.