Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam Waltz ❯ The Hymn of Revelations ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warning: I do not own or am I permitted to use any characters that are licensed to Bandai or its affiliates who own the Gundam franchise.
 
Chapter 2
The Hymn of Revelations
 
“Are you okay Miss Relena?” One of her bodyguards asked as she was lifted off the floor, shocked at the sudden interruption of events. Many attempts at the young politicians life had been thwarted before. `But this one is different,' Relena thought, peering at the broken glass that fell from the roof and was now scattered on the floor, `When Heero saw her run away; he had a look in his eyes; I have not seen this since we were both fifteen. What the hell is going on? Where is he?'
 
 
 
Time and space are lost in the thrill of the moment, when you ran as fast as Heero did, you would also lose breath. The former Gundam Pilots attempted to follow him, not knowing of his destination or even if he had a pinch of sanity. All they knew was that this assassin was the best they had seen in many years, and it was hiding in the corridors of a soft darkness.
 
But, suddenly, these once great soldiers stopped in their tracks. And the Gundam pilots also stopped anticipating Heero's next move.
 
“Don't follow me,” Heero demanded of his followers, without revealing his palatable expression; hidden by a clump of brown hair. He ran off, leaving the pilots with confusion and bewilderment and barely comprehending the situation at hand.
 
“What the hell is going on Heero?” Duo called out to him, standing in the near the place where the other wide-eyed pilots stood. But Heero did not heed Duo's question; instead, Heero jumped down from the balcony into a line of clean-cut bushes, where an assassin's pistol met his brow.
 
 
 
“Still, mein Kind [1]! Mommy's here,” Hilde solemnly spoke to her newborn son, ascending his form with a blanket wrapped around his small frame. It had only been an hour since she put him to bed, and he already needed to be changed. David Maxwell was truly the son of Hilde and Duo. With his mother's subtle features and his father's rambunctious attitude, the four-month old infant was constantly loved and adored by his two youthful parents.
 
“You miss daddy don't ya?” Hilde made her son laugh with Eskimo kisses and tummy blows as she changed his wet diaper. “I do too.” It had only been a day since she let him drive to the airport, just so he could attend a party in a faraway country. Since they were married a mere one year ago, they had become an inseparable duo, pardon the pun.
 
Duo even wanted to give up his job at the Preventors base, so he could be a full-time father, slash crappy homemaker, to his son David. Hilde did not want to leave her job, a less gross than it sounds occupation of managing a waste disposal unit, a part of the Preventors unit, which did rake in more money than Duo did at his usual job at the Preventors. But Hilde, surprisingly, accepted an extended leave from the hustle and bustle of the daily Preventor life, so to devote all her energy to the newborn that was currently rustling in her thin arms.
 
“Maybe I should call your father,” Little David began to gleefully squirm in her arms, “Yeah, that would be a good idea. Ist das nicht Recht, junge meiner Träume [2]?”
 
 
 
“Thank you,” Quatre spoke as a skilled acrobatic man, who called himself Trowa Barton, was wrapping his bleeding knee. “You're doing too much.” The gang of former Gundam pilots had settled after Heero ran off, and they noticed that Quatre's knee was bleeding, as a result of a piece of glass gauged into Quatre's knee. Since the beginning of the first war, the two had shared a bond that the other Gundam pilots could not considerably comprehend; they had practically become twins considering they knew so much about each other.
 
Trowa finished wrapping Quatre's wound and threw the confounding piece of glass across the hall, away from Quatre's site. Trowa offered his hand to Quatre to help him stand-up. Their hands were intertwined, and in their upright position they only seemed to look into each other's eyes, anticipating the other's reaction.
 
“We're going to go find Heero,” Duo said to the rest of the group, Wufei in tow.
 
“But Heero said to not follow him.” Quatre replied.
 
“Bullshit! I'm not going to stand around like an asshole, and let that spy get out of our fingers. I may not on duty right now, but I still have an oath to miss Relena and pacifism, that I need to follow through. Come on Wufei,” Without a word Wufei and Duo disappeared around the corner, leaving Trowa and Quatre alone for the first time that night.
 
“He makes sense,” said Trowa to Quatre letting go of his hand, “I need to take care of you. You're hurt and probably can't walk or run that well.” Trowa softly smiled to Quatre. Not a first, ironically, since the end of the Eve wars, Trowa's diction has become more expressive with the help of his adoptive sister Catherine and Quatre.
 
Unknown to any of the other Gundam pilots this night was the night that Quatre would dictate his dark secret, which Duo and Hilde already knew, and tell of his travails over the past few months. He was worried that they would be surprised by his revelation, but when he was going to pronounce this disclaimer, the assassin came. He thanked Allah in his mind, not for the assassination attempt, of course not, but for not having to make the announcement that he thought he had to make.
 
 
 
“I know who you are,” Heero said to the faceless black figure. His eyes were intent on the position of the assassin's eyes in the ski mask. “I knew one day you would come, but I had no idea that you would pull off a stunt this large, by yourself.” Heero stood up from the bushes, straightened his arms in surrender and stalked to the figure with the positioned gun in one hand, and the other at her waistband.
 
“My truest enemy,” This declaration was barely above a whisper when Heero pronounced it. It was powerful enough to force the spy to lower its weapon back to the holster that was weirdly near her ankle. The assassin now just stared with him, the assassin was only minutely shorter than him, but had the same posterior of stillness and intent.
 
“I found you,” A monotone female voice came from behind the mask to Heero's ears. “I only pulled off the stunt to send a warning to your pacifist ideals, and to kill its greatest leader. When that moment came I saw your eye's and knew the mission was over and my work was down, so I attempted to escape, but instead was trapped by the large amount of security surrounding this dragnet of lies.
 
“I have a question Heero, what is your position on the knowledge of terrorist organizations.” She finished her speech, looking even piercingly into Heero's eyes searching for an answer, but instead just received his equally strong glare back. A few seconds passed without motion as they just stood their as spineless, thorny cactuses do in the desert. No other figures or fights existed within their own battle. The world was shut out by this staring contest of enemies, who seemed to already be deep-seated into one another's knowledge.
 
“Goodbye Heero,” She said as she walked off, Heero did not move his feet to catch up with her. He just stood there waiting for her sight to leave his focus, when he heard the cocking of a gun.
 
 
To be continued….
 
 
[1] German for “Quiet my child”
[2] More German for “Is that not right boy of my dreams.” I wanted to show the German culture of Hilde by her speaking her native language.