Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam Waltz ❯ A Tremor in The mind ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warning: I do not own or am I permitted to use any characters that are licensed to Bandai or its affiliates who own the Gundam franchise.
 
Chapter 6
A Tremor in the Mind
 
Heero sat in the corner of the meeting room contemplating the mess that cluttered the Earth. He knew that if he said the assassins name he would be revered by commoners and dishonored by diplomats. The only piece of the puzzle Heero did not know about was what the red star on the knife meant. He figured that the military personnel would figure it out themselves.
 
It was now about an hour after the fateful meeting was adjourned; where the once thought to be dead Milliardo Peacecraft emerged. No longer did he wear his hair long or the mask that hid his face as Zechs Marquise, but now lay a man of royalty whose hair was shorn neatly short and banter was that of a military analyzer. Five Gundam pilots who never won metals nor were congratulated for saving the colonies and Earth, but scorned by both, sat in silence. Old friends seemed to not know what to say to each other. They never were grand comrades although they did share the bond of nearly dieing for a cause that no one else believed but was supported at the end. Six to seven years ago they all walked that jagged line of life and death, war and peace, love and hate yet they survived all that to find some stability in their lives.
 
Duo and Quatre looked out the window together to see American troops lined up to receive their morning training, even though this was a neutral base. Wufei sat on the floor in the position of Buddha himself; one could have put a lotus on his hand and Wufei would seem like the most enlightened man currently on Earth. Trowa leaned his back against the wall head down, like he did when he was fifteen, some things never change. Heero was now standing in the corner with his arms pressed hard to his chest watching the seagulls fly over the bay, he was now a man who was more at peace with himself than he had been before.
 
Only the sound of the waves seeping through the window permeated the room's silent veneer. Outside in the hallway, though, men scrambled to turn on televisions, the flipped their remote controls and quickly adjusted the volumes to listen to the story on “Universal News,” the only news program that was broadcast on the Earth, the colonies, and the Moon colonies. “Special Report” was slowly flashed across the screen with systematic beeps looming over what was soon to be a lugubrious forecast.
“Good evening I am Ria Doomsira” The woman with orange hair and a red suit spoke to the camera “Tragic news today on Earth. We are now getting reports that Peace Minister of the Moon Colonies Phineaus J has been assassinated on his way to New York to catch a plane to go back to the colonies. Mr. J, whose only surviving member of his family is his fourteen-year-old daughter Alexia J, was forty-three. Our prayers and thoughts are with the Miss Alexia J, friends, and benefactors of Mister Phineaus J. We will give you more insight into this tragic current development when it is given to us. We now go to Miker Thomas who is currently in New York.”
Everyone who saw this news story was concaved into a pit of shock. It had been only an hour since Peace Minister Phineaus J had left San Francisco on his way to New York, but within that short time frame another assassin struck. This was the second assassination attempt in four days, but this was the first successful one, it ended in death. These new developments seemed to be going more and more towards a new state of chaos on Earth, the people and the higher ups were both scared for their lives.
 
“Well Ria” started a well-polished Canadian field agent name Miker Thomas “I have just found out about a new development occurring within the Moon Colony government. It seems that in a last ditch effort to avoid a detrimental election, the remaining members of government have selected Alexia J, daughter of assassinated Phineaus J, to be the new Peace Minister for the Moon Colonies. As many know, there is only one Peace Minister representative for each cluster of colonies L1 through L5, Moon colonies and even the Earth has Peace Minister Relena Peacecraft.”
 
The screen was now split with the image of Doomsira and Thomas juxtaposed. “Miker,” Ria spoke directly to the cameraman.
 
“Yes Ria,” Miker said back to his cameraman.
 
“Miker, what are the current reactions of some of the moon colony people, at this time, towards the news that their first female Peace Minister will be forced upon them, and will be but a mere fourteen years old?”
 
“Well Ria, many of the moon colonies I have just now heard are on current lockdown, but the people of the moon colonies called her Peace Minister jokingly, but never thought that this development would occur so soon or ever in fact.”
 
“Well Miker, thank you for those pieces of information.”
 
“You are very welcome Ria.” The split screen disappeared and revealed Miss Ria Doomsira talking to a hackneyed expert. At this point, Wufei turned off the television; he did not wish to hear from a supposed expert caught on the fly for the purpose of entertainment. Cellphones rang in unison, the calls of loved ones and people who were concerned. Heero did not get a call but everyone else did for he believed the possession of a cell phone was nearly useless unless one was in the battlefield, a kickback to his perfect soldier days.
 
 
 
A policeman with a furrowed mustache and a thick New York accent said, “Hey you can't come in here”. The woman flashed a badge that said she was a benefactor of the government. “Oh you may come in then.” The woman did not politely hand back a cheerful greeting nor did she say thank you, but instead walked towards a zipped up body bag that held the assassinated Peace Minister. She lit up a cigarette as she looked out at the planes that had stopped and the windows filled with people stuck at their terminals awaiting answers. She saw a woman with a long blonde ponytail distinctly walk past the people in the terminal; a large black duffle bag clung to her shoulders, a tight fist around its strap.
 
“Are you Lady Une,” A young female agent, with brown skin and Latina accent, said with hesitation.
 
“Yes” The woman, responded, “My name is Lady Une. What exactly happened here?” Lady Une was one of the few people to enter Earth from the colonies in the past few days, but she did arrive around midnight the night before. She was irritated and wore sunglasses to protect her jet-lagged eyes from the heat of the sun. Une ignored the babble of the junior Preventors agent and inspected the case file given to her about Peace Minister Phineaus J. Lady Une peered over every conspicuous and minor detail that pervaded from the large document. She sat at a table, where the technicians of the planes usually ate.
 
Lady Une looked around to see if anyone was looking at her directly while she tore a piece of paper towards the middle of the file and folded it into her pocket. A red dot appeared on the hem of her pants and slowly crept up towards her temple. Lady Une had the accuracy to duck immediately when she saw the dot on her nose. The bullet grazed her shoulder instead and hit the young Latina field agent. Blood spurted everywhere as Une attempted to block the overflow of blood from the Latina's wound with her own jacket and hands.
 
For a moment, Lady Une looked over to see the image of the girl with the blond ponytail enter her range of vision. The blond-haired, sunglass-sporting girl slouched over her dropped bag and pulled a cord then flipped backwards towards the fence, jumped over and ran as fats as she could. Before anyone could say, “Get her,” a blinding flash lighted the area and let out a sonic blast. When Lady Une came to she stood at the very tip of a pointed crevice that's outline that was in the shape of a star. The blood of the people slain filled the interior of the star. Writing in a foreign language was placed in the center of the circle.
 
Lady Une clutched her bleeding and now blackened arm when she walked towards the center of the star to try to read the two Russian words that were placed within.