Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 30 ( Chapter 30 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
Time, Fault and Out
 
November 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 30
 
"You're under investigation for what?" Heero asked, unable to comprehend what his lover had said.
 
"Misuse of drugs," snapped Duo.
 
"There must be some mistake," Heero stated as he quickly closed the distance between himself and his lover. Heero took the letter from Duo's hand and read it. His brows knitted together as his eyes perused the page. "This is bullshit! Duo, you've never misappropriated drugs."
 
"This is all the work of that pink bitch. Oh, I know the AVB can't disclose who has filed the allegation against me, but I know it has to be her. She swore she would get me after we clashed at the hospital..." Duo quickly shut his mouth as he realized what he'd said.
 
"Duo?"
 
"Ummm... Yes, Heero?"
 
"What clash at the hospital?"
 
"Ahh... Well, umm, you see..."
 
"Heero, it's not exactly what it would seem," Treize said, trying to come to Duo's defense.
 
Heero spun around. "What do you know about it?"
 
"Errr, Zechs and I sort of walked in on the end of it."
 
Heero's eyes narrowed. "Duo, I think you have some explaining to do. I want to know exactly what happened and why everyone else seems to know about this and I don't." Heero's tone was harsh, he was majorly pissed off that no-one had told him anything about an altercation between his lover and Relena.
 
With a sigh of defeat, Duo collapsed into a kitchen chair and took a long drink from his coffee. "It happened just as they'd taken you from the trauma room to the theater. I came out into the corridor and that pink parasite was there. She set on me straight away, accusing me of all sorts of things..."
 
Duo explained all he could remember about the argument he'd had with Relena in the corridor of the hospital. He didn't leave anything out, he figured he'd already hurt Heero enough by not telling him in the first place. With a heavy heart he spilled it all. Treize finished off by adding his bit to the mix, including the 'phone call he'd gotten from Dorothy warning him that Relena was up to something.
 
"She knew she wouldn't be able to get a charge of assault to stick so I guess she thought she'd try some other way," Duo sighed. "And this is it."
 
"Duo? Why didn't you tell me about the argument when I came out of surgery?"
 
"I didn't want to upset you. You'd just undergone major surgery, Heero. You were all banged up from the fall and emotionally fragile with the loss of Taurus on top. I didn't want to give you anything else to worry about."
 
"And it didn't occur to you to tell me a day later?"
 
"Umm... I'd kinda forgotten about it with everything that was going on. Heero, I'm sorry. I know I should have told you and I didn't. That was wrong of me."
 
"Yes, it was," Heero replied and then his tone softened. "I can understand your reasons for not telling me at the time; however, in future, regardless of my 'condition' I want to know what's going on, especially if it concerns me. I can fight my own battles you know."
 
"I know, Heero." Duo gave a sigh of defeat and cradled his head in his hands.
 
"She actually clocked you one with her crutches?" Heero said with a snicker.
 
Duo peeked out from behind his bangs to see Heero smirking at him. "Yeah, she did."
 
"And you slapped her?"
 
"Yeah, I did."
 
"Damn! I wish I'd still been there to see that."
 
"Heero!"
 
Heero laughed.
 
Feeling the tension begin to leave the room, Treize relaxed a little and then smiled as he felt Zechs entwine his fingers with his own under the table.
 
"What exactly does the letter say, Duo? What sort of misappropriation of drugs are you supposed to have done?" asked Zechs.
 
Duo picked the letter up from where Heero had dropped it to the table and began to read it out.
 
"Dear Doctor Maxwell,
 
The Australian Veterinary Board has received a complaint in relation to you and your practice. The complaint alleges that there has been a breech of ethics involving the misuse of drugs.
 
As you can appreciate this is a serious allegation and the Board is bound by law to investigate any and all complaints that are lodged with it.
 
One of the Board's Investigation team members will be contacting you shortly to arrange a call out to your practice and speak with you in regard to this allegation. The Board also requires that you have for its inspection a full copy of all your practice records including drug itineraries, stock take files, receipts and client files.
 
We thank you for your cooperation and hope to have this matter cleared up quickly with minimal disruption to yourself and your practice.
 
Yours sincerely
Harold Green
Secretary - Investigations Department AVB."
 
Zechs let a low whistle pass his lips. Treize gave a sigh, Heero looked thoughtful.
 
"It's a good job then that I've only just gone through all your records and loaded them onto Nrobbuts' database and burnt a back up copy," said Heero. "All the practice information is on there except clients for the past couple of days. I was planning on adding them to the database tomorrow."
 
"Nrobbuts?" Treize questioned. Zechs looked just as mystified.
 
"The computer," Duo replied absently. "You have all the records on there?"
 
"Everything, Duo. I was bored so I went right back to the very start of your practice and put all the information in the database. All the clients are there, case histories, income and expenditure, order forms for equipment; and a complete list of all drugs you've ever purchased and what is currently in stock. It's just a simple case of cross referencing the client files to the drugs and you can see immediately where the drugs were dispensed, how much and by whom." Heero couldn't help but feel a little smug.
 
"Heero, you're a life saver," Duo cried and grabbed his boyfriend, hugging him tightly.
 
Zechs gave a low whistle. "And you ride horses? Shit, Heero, you could go into business for yourself just compiling records for companies!"
 
Heero blushed. "I'm actually an accountant by trade but gave it away when Treize offered me a position in his stable. Riding and competing has always been the one thing I've longed to do."
 
"If you ever decide to give the horses away, let me know, I'm sure I could get you a job at Oakford doing the books and keeping the records straight," smiled Zechs.
 
"Not a chance, Zechs," Duo interrupted. "If Heero ever decides to give up the nags he's got a full time position here. Besides, he's my boyfriend, I don't share and it looks like you have your own anyway." Duo gave the shocked looking blonde a knowing look.
 
"Ahh..."
 
Heero raised an eyebrow and looked questioningly to Duo. This was the first he'd heard that Zechs had a boyfriend.
 
"I'm right, aren't I?" Duo said with a smile. "When did you two get together?"
 
"Pretty much the day that Heero had his fall," replied Zechs.
 
"He asked me out on a date when we were on our way to the hospital," added Treize.
 
"Why am I always the last to find out anything around here?" said Heero with a sigh.
 
"You can't blame this one on me, Heero," Duo replied. "I had an idea these two liked each other but wasn't completely sure until today."
 
"Congratulations," said Heero with a warm smile. "I hope you're both happy together."
 
"Thanks, both of you. It means a lot to us," replied Zechs with a warm smile of his own.
 
"I think this calls for a bit of a celebration. Treize and Zechs together and your camp coming up, Heero. Looks like you still have a chance of making the cup team," said Duo with a grin. "I think I have a bottle of sparkling grape juice." Duo disappeared into the pantry and returned moments later banishing a bottle in triumph. "Knew I had it in there somewhere. Sorry it's not alcoholic, but Heero and I rarely drink."
 
"No need for apologies, Duo. I've got the evening shift at Oakford so wouldn't be able to drink anyway," replied Zechs.
 
"And I have to drive home and work Goose yet," stated Treize.
 
Duo opened the bottle and added some ice to four glasses before pouring the contents of the bottle into them. He handed one to each person and picked up his own. Raising the glass, Duo proposed a toast. "Here's to a happy relationship between Zechs and Treize and to both Heero and Treize making it into the Nations Cup team tryouts."
 
"And here's to Duo being cleared of any accusations," added Treize.
 
"Hear, hear," murmured Zechs and raised his glass.
 
"And here's to Relena being abducted by aliens."
 
Three faces turned to stare at Heero.
 
"What? One can always hope," he said in innocence.
 
Duo shook his head, a wry grin on his face. "Heero, we seriously need to work on your sense of humor."
 
***
 
Dorothy walked into the sitting room carrying a tray with a china tea service on it. She set the tray down upon the coffee table and proceeded to remove the cups, saucers, milk jug and sugar bowl, placing them on the coffee table along with the plate of cakes. Relena was reclining in the large armchair, foot resting upon a foot stool and reading her mail. A smile began to tug at the corner of her lips and Dorothy could see a look of satisfaction appearing in those blue eyes. Alarm bells began to ring in Dorothy's head.
 
"Afternoon tea is served, Miss Relena."
 
"Ah. Thank you, Dorothy."
 
"Would you like me to pour?"
 
"Yes, please."
 
Dorothy poured the tea and handed Relena a cup. She poured one for herself and sat down opposite her mistress. She watched as Relena put the letter to the side and took a sip of the tea. "Good news?" Dorothy asked.
 
Relena looked up, confused. "Pardon?"
 
"The letter. I take it there's good news in it as you were smiling."
 
"Ah." Relena smiled again. "I guess you could say that." She took another sip of her tea. Dorothy waited patiently for Relena to continue; her patience was soon rewarded. "It shouldn't be long now before Heero is free from that pansy of a so called vet."
 
"Oh?" Dorothy felt a cold chill run down her spine. Just what had Relena done now?
 
"It came to me a few nights ago," Relena continued. "I know that vet is pushing himself onto Heero, that Heero isn't interested in men." Relena shuddered as she spoke, the thought of her Heero being forced like that causing her to feel nauseous. "It occurred to me that Heero must be under the influence of something for him to allow that faggot to touch him. Being a vet he has access to drugs, drugs that can affect a person's reasoning."
 
Dorothy swallowed, the chill of fear growing stronger. Surely Relena wasn't suggesting that Doctor Maxwell was drugging Heero?
 
"I'm sure that vet is giving Heero something, some sort of drug to make him docile and receptive to his perverted ways. Well, I'm not about to stand back and let that happen."
 
Shit! Relena *was* suggesting that. With a dry mouth and feeling of dread building in her gut, Dorothy forced herself to ask the question. "Relena? What did you do?"
 
Relena smiled and took another sip of her tea. "Why, I merely made a phone call to the Veterinary Board and explained my concerns to them. This letter is to let me know that they have acknowledged my concerns and are investigating the matter." Relena looked smug. "I'm sure that once they begin their investigation they will undoubtedly find that that Maxwell creature has been misusing drugs and strike him from the registry or whatever it is they call it."
 
Dorothy didn't know what to say. Her blood ran cold at the thought of Doctor Maxwell being investigated for something she was certain he was innocent of. Something like this could ruin his career, innocent or not. Dorothy couldn't sit back and watch something like this happen, her sense of fair play wouldn't allow it. "Relena, what if you're wrong?"
 
Relena gazed at her housekeeper. "No, there's no way I could be wrong."
 
"Has it ever occurred to you that Heero is gay? That he's a willing participant in a relationship with this vet? Have you any idea what damage you can do with your accusations, especially when they are proven to be completely unfounded? You do realize that if Doctor Maxwell is cleared of any accusation that he has every right to sue you for slander?"
 
"That won't happen. Heero isn't gay, that vet has to be giving him something!"
 
"Relena, why don't you just ask Heero if he's gay or not?"
 
"I had thought about that, but with him being under the influence of whatever drug that vet's giving him he would be compelled to lie."
 
Dorothy frowned. "Relena, I sincerely hope you know what you're doing."
 
"Of course I do. You'll see. Once this investigation is over that faggot will get what he deserves and Heero will be free from his torment."
 
Draining the last of her tea, Dorothy placed her cup back on the tray and got up. "I have duties to finish," she said curtly and exited the room. She couldn't stand to be in the same room as Relena at the moment, the depths her boss had sunk to had filled Dorothy with a loathing for the woman. She headed for the phone and called Treize.
 
Fifteen minutes later, Dorothy returned the hand piece to the cradle and headed for the kitchen to think. She'd told Treize all about Relena's confession and was surprised to learn that Treize already knew about the accusation. She listened patiently as Treize told her about the letter arriving at the Maxwell Veterinary practice and while the complainant's name had not been given, Duo and the rest of them knew it had to be Relena. She felt a little better after Treize informed her that Maxwell had all his records and should be able to prove his innocence. Treize was shocked when Dorothy had told him of Relena's theory that Heero was being influenced by drugs and assured Dorothy he would let both Heero and Duo know all that Dorothy had told him.
 
Knowing there wasn't anything more she could do, Dorothy shoved the thoughts aside and began to chop up the vegetables for the evening meal with a little more vigor than was really necessary.
 
***
 
After receiving Dorothy's phone call and warning of what Relena was up to, Treize thought the matter over. Glancing at the clock he made up his mind and went to the phone. He dialed the number for Duo's practice and waited for the call to connect.
 
"Maxwell Veterinary Practice."
 
"Ah, Catherine. It's Treize Kushrenada here. I wonder if it would be possible to have a quick word with Doctor Maxwell?"
 
"Mr Kushrenada, nice to hear from you. Doctor Maxwell is with a client at the moment, if you would care to hold I can get him to speak with you as soon as he comes out of the consult."
 
"Thank you. I'll hold." The line switched to some pleasant music and Treize found himself humming along with it. He wasn't on hold for long.
 
"Treize, Duo here. What can I do for you?"
 
"Duo, I have some information I think you might find interesting. It's relating to this accusation against you. I don't want to tell you over the phone so would it be possible for me to call around later?"
 
Duo frowned. "Information?"
 
"Yes. Dorothy, Relena's housekeeper called me. I think you have a right to know what's going on."
 
Now Duo's interest was really piqued. "Hang on a sec, Treize."
 
Treize heard the sound of a hand being put over the receiver and muffled voices in the background before Duo's voice returned.
 
"I should be finished with consults around seven fifteen. If you want to come over for seven thirty that would be good. Heero's at the house anyway so if I'm not there by the time you get there I won't be far off."
 
"Okay. I'll see you soon then. Bye, Duo." Treize hung up and paused, deep in thought before going through to the kitchen to see if Jenny had his dinner ready. He had enough time to eat before heading over to Duo's.
 
***
 
Heero opened the door to admit Treize. Duo had let him know that Treize would be coming over with some information for them. "Evening, Treize," Heero said as Treize stepped inside. "Duo's in the shower, he won't be long. Come through to the lounge room."
 
"Thanks." Treize followed his pupil and took a seat. "How did the hospital appointment go yesterday?"
 
"Fine. They took another x-ray and the bone is starting to knit back quite nicely. The stitches have almost dissolved as well and from what they can tell the wound has healed okay."
 
"I'll bet you'll be glad to get that cast off," Treize said as he made himself comfortable.
 
"Yes, I will. Doc says it should be off in about six weeks."
 
"Good."
 
Conversation paused as Duo entered the room, shirtless and wearing a pair of sweatpants. Treize silently admired the vet's physique.
 
"Hey, Treize."
 
"Duo," Treize responded.
 
Duo sat on the couch next to Heero. "What is it you have to tell me?" Duo knew he was being blunt and straight to the point and he didn't really care. Treize had said he had information for him and Duo wanted to know what that information was.
 
Treize ran a hand through his hair and then fixed the vet with his gaze. "Dorothy called me. Seems Relena told her all about her call to the AVB and what she is accusing you of." Taking a deep breath, Treize explained everything Dorothy had told him. When he'd finished he sat back and watched the various emotions playing over the two faces before him. They went from shock to disbelief and finally settled on anger.
 
"That fucking cow is accusing me of drugging Heero so I can have sex with him? I don't believe it!" Duo's eyes were wide.
 
"That's utter bullshit!" Heero growled. "Duo's never done anything like that in his life!"
 
"I know that and you two know that," said Treize. "Problem is, Relena believes it to be the case and hence the accusation."
 
Duo was livid. "I'll sue that woman for slander, the bitch. Once this investigation is over I'll take this to my lawyers and have that fucking pink parasite in court so quick and take her for every fucking thing that I can. I'll show her she can't mess with me."
 
Heero appeared to be deep in thought.
 
"I'm sorry, Duo I never thought she would go to these sorts of lengths. I wish there was something I could do." Treize felt bad about all this, he was the one that had introduced Heero to Relena in the first place.
 
"Not your fault, Treize," Duo replied.
 
"Duo?" Heero spoke. "I'll make an appointment with Doctor Po tomorrow and have blood tests done."
 
"Huh?"
 
"I'll have Doctor Po take blood and run tests on it to prove that the only drugs I'm on are the ones given to me by the hospital for my injuries. If I'm correct in my thinking, any drug you were to give me to render me compliant to your advances would remain in my system for a while. A blood test would show any traces of those drugs. Also I take it those types of drugs would need to be administered intravenously and the drugs I'm taking are oral. Surely there would be signs of needle holes where the drug was administered?"
 
Duo stared at his boyfriend as Heero's words sunk in. "You know, you have a point there, Heero."
 
"It's one way to disprove Relena's accusation. Blood tests combined with your drug records should be enough to refute it," mused Treize.
 
"It certainly wouldn't hurt." Duo gave a smile and then hugged Heero. "What would I do without you?" he murmured and then kissed his lover.
 
***
 
Heero duly made the appointment with Sally Po and had the necessary tests done. He confided in the doctor about his and Duo's relationship as well as the accusations aimed at Duo and hence the request for the blood tests.
 
Doctor Po was professional as always. She didn't comment on their relationship, but accepted it, something Heero was grateful for. She did however have a few choice words to say regarding the accusation against Duo.
 
The blood tests were sent off top priority and came back within an hour, negative to everything other than the antibiotics and anti-inflammatories that Heero was taking for his injuries. Sally also went over Heero with a fine toothed comb looking for any possible injection sites and came up blank. With the tests done, Sally wrote up a report and filed it away in Heero's records. When the Board's investigator came out to Duo's practice to commence his investigation, Doctor Po's contact details would be passed on and the investigator given permission to contact Doctor Po and receive a copy of the report on Heero's blood tests.
 
Feeling a lot happier than he had yesterday, Heero left the doctor's office and headed back home to bring Duo up to speed with the situation.
 
* * *
 
Another two weeks passed without any further incidents occurring. Zero was working nicely on the flat for Duo and jumping well for Treize. Heero was itching to get back into the saddle and ride himself and Duo had a hard time trying to placate his frustrated lover. Heero and Treize had both received further information on the training camp, details of the property the camp would be held at as well as an outline of what they would be doing in the lead up to the final team selection.
 
The camp was to be held in the Fenwick county which was the next county over to Salsbury, Heero decided he would drive over every day instead of staying the week. Duo was relieved to hear that as he wasn't sure if he could take a whole week being parted from his lover and there was no way he could take time off from the practice. He'd already taken far too much time off and it wasn't fair to Hilde to ask her to work his shifts again.
 
"One tablet twice a day, Mrs Chandler, morning and night and that should see Suzie on the road to recovery. There's a ten day course there and you should start to see a difference in a couple of days. If she gets any worse or there's no improvement by the end of the ten days, bring her back. Kennel cough is highly contagious so I'd recommend keeping her away from other dogs until the course of antibiotics is finished."
 
"Thank you, Doctor Maxwell." The middle aged woman took the offered bottle of antibiotics.
 
Duo opened the door to the consulting room and allowed the woman to exit. "Be a good girl, Suzie," he said and patted the black and white head of the dog.
 
"Doctor Maxwell?"
 
"Yes?" Duo straightened up.
 
Mrs Chandler lowered her voice to barely a whisper, darted a look from side to side and then leaned in close. "There's rumors going around the town that you and that Mr Yuy are... well, more than just friends."
 
Duo sucked in a harsh breath. Looked like it hadn't taken that pink parasite long to set the rumor mill to work.
 
Mrs Chandler patted Duo's arm. "I know I speak not just for myself but for a lot of your clients. We don't care what the rumors say and fully intend to remain clients of your practice. Personally I think it's about time you got yourself settled down and Mr Yuy is such a nice man." Mrs Chandler smiled. "Make sure you're happy and that he treats you right."
 
Duo felt like he'd been sucker punched. Tears welled in his eyes and he hastily blinked them away. "Thank you, Mrs Chandler. You have no idea how much that means to me," he replied softly.
 
"Stay true to your heart, young man. You're a wonderful vet and deserve to be happy."
 
If the woman hadn't been a client, Duo would have hugged her and planted a kiss to her cheek. He refrained and managed to thank her again.
 
Mrs Chandler nodded and left to pay her bill. Duo stepped back into the consulting room for a moment to gather his composure. If what Mrs Chandler said was true then it looked like he wouldn't lose as much of his clientele as he'd thought he would once the rumors started flying. Oh, he was bound to lose some, he knew that, but it was heartening to know there were those out there that supported his and Heero's relationship.
 
With his composure back intact, Duo smoothed down his white coat and went back out to the waiting room to collect the next file and see the next client.
 
"Doctor Maxwell. There's someone to see you," Catherine said as Duo walked out to collect the client file.
 
"Oh?"
 
"A Mr Gregory from the AVB."
 
Duo froze, his heart plummeted to his feet and he had a moment's trouble breathing. He'd known the investigator would be out soon, he just hadn't expected it today. "Where is he?"
 
"In the waiting room."
 
"Do I have any more clients?"
 
"No. Mrs Chandler was the last one."
 
"Okay."
 
"I'll go down and clean the kennels up and prepare the theater for surgery. Call me if you need me." Catherine stood up and exited the small office come reception area to give Duo the privacy he would need to speak with the investigator.
 
"Thank you, Catherine. Could you please go down to the house and find Heero first for me? I'll need him here as well."
 
Catherine nodded and gave Duo's arm a squeeze. "It will all be okay, Duo."
 
Duo took a deep breath and forced himself to calm down. He had nothing to hide, everything was on disc or hard drive, all his records were up-to-date and everything accounted for. Steeling himself, Duo ran his hand through his bangs and prepared to step into the waiting room.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...