Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 39 ( Chapter 39 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 2x1x2, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook (Equestrian Federation of Australia). Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 39
 
The tea brewed and Dorothy set the teapot on the tray, carrying it back through to the sitting room. Pouring Relena a cup she passed it to the silent woman and then checked the fire. Another log was added, sparks flying in protest before Dorothy returned to her seat and poured her own cup of tea. She watched her mistress carefully, noting the slight frown still on the face as the woman obviously tossed all the information around in her head.
 
"Would you like something to eat?" Dorothy asked, noting with a jolt that it was later in the evening than she'd thought and neither one of them had eaten anything since lunchtime.
 
"I'm not hungry," replied Relena.
 
Dorothy wasn't surprised, she wasn't hungry either. Seemed that Doctor Merquise's story had killed their appetites as well.
 
"This is all so..." Relena began to talk and then stopped.
 
"I know it's a lot to take in right now," said Dorothy quietly.
 
"I just don't know where to start, where to begin sifting through it all."
 
"Why not start at the beginning?" offered Dorothy.
 
"Easy for you to say, I don't even know where the beginning is!"
 
The two women sat in silence again for a few moments before Relena spoke again.
 
"How could my mother have kept this all to herself? She never even hinted that she had a brother."
 
"Relena? What was your grandfather like?"
 
Relena thought on that for a moment. "He, he was a very strict man, strong willed and outspoken in his beliefs. He didn't tolerate anything from anyone." Relena began to lose herself in her memories, thinking back over the years to the times she had spent with her grandfather, to when her mother had been alive.
 
"He was a very domineering man, used to being obeyed, I guess. I can remember visiting him when I was little. I was so scared to move, to touch anything in case I broke something or made him mad at me. He wasn't what you would call your usual grandfather."
 
"How so?" Dorothy asked. She had a feeling that if Relena could lose herself in her memories they might find the reason behind her hatred for gay people. Dorothy was pretty sure she already knew, but Relena needed to discover it for herself.
 
"I remember other kids and their grandparents, they would laugh and play, share games, hugs and stories with their grandparents. Mine didn't do any of that. I can still recall the first time I tried to hug my grandfather. He growled at me, pushed me away and gave me a stern look. He told me that it wasn't right or proper for people to hug like that. People shouldn't show affection towards each other. When grandma died he didn't seem to care. He sat through the funeral and didn't bat an eyelid. I remember my mother crying and him telling her not to be so weak, something about only pansies and sissies cried; strong, normal people didn't. I didn't understand how he could be so heartless."
 
Dorothy topped up the tea.
 
"It was not long after my grandmother died that my mother seemed to change. She became withdrawn and I would often catch her staring out the window at nothing in particular. When I'd ask her if she was okay she would always smile and nod. My dad tried to help her but he didn't know what was wrong either. I guess we both thought it was the loss of grandma that had hit her hard. I'd always notice though that when grandfather called around for a visit she would always be sadder when he'd gone. I couldn't figure out why when grandfather was always so cruel and sarcastic towards her with his words." Relena paused and frowned, something tugged at the back of her mind.
 
"Miss Relena?"
 
"I'm okay. I, I remember something." Relena thought again, searching her mind and willing the memory to come forth.
 
It did.
 
"I remember, I was about eight and grandfather had come to visit. Mother was sitting with him in the drawing room, dad was outside in the stables and I was supposed to be doing my homework in my bedroom. I came down to get a glass of water and as I passed the drawing room I couldn't help but overhear the words being spoken." Relena screwed up her face as she fought to recall the memory. "Grandfather, he was ranting on at my mother. I can't remember everything that was said, just something about a freak, Milliardo and an abhorrence against God. I didn't understand what was going on and I knew if I got caught eavesdropping I'd get a hiding so I took off back to my room. I didn't think about it any more."
 
Relena placed her empty tea cup on the coffee table.
 
"Do you have any idea why you are so opposed to two people of the same sex loving each other, Relena?" Dorothy gently posed the question.
 
Relena frowned as she thought on Dorothy's words. "It isn't right," she said softly.
 
"Why isn't it right?"
 
"It goes against everything society says." Relena went quiet for a moment and then began to speak again. "I used to go to church and I can remember the minister giving his sermon this one time. He was so strong and intimidating. He went on about Adam and Eve, the sins of the flesh and something about same sex couples being damned to hell for eternity." Relena shuddered. "My grandfather came back home with us after the service and had morning tea. I recall him carrying on about the minister's sermon. I remember my mother being very quiet, even my dad didn't say much. After that he would always find some way to bring up the subject that homosexuality was wrong and perverted, it would only lead to living in the fires of hell. Oh, Dorothy." Relena's eyes watered as she began to understand. "All that time he was carrying on about my uncle, wasn't he?"
 
"I'd say he was, Miss Relena. That's what it looks like to me," replied Dorothy softly.
 
"No wonder my mother was so sad. I wonder what he told her, how he explained the leaving of her brother?"
 
"I don't know the answer to that, Relena."
 
"I need to talk to him, there's so much more to this that I don't know."
 
"I'm sure he will be willing to talk to you and explain more if you call him."
 
"Dorothy?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"It isn't like that at all, is it?"
 
"What isn't?"
 
"What my grandfather said, what he convinced me of all those years ago. People that love someone of the same sex, they aren't condemned to live in hell."
 
"No, Relena. I think if you were to look deeper into the church and its teachings you will find that there is the mention of homosexuality in there. I don't fully know myself, but I'm sure you will find that the church doesn't condone nor condemn same sex couples. If this God is supposed to be as kind, merciful and forgiving as he's preached to be, then he would welcome true love between people, regardless of their sex."
 
"I think I see what you're trying to say."
 
Dorothy wasn't too sure she understood herself what she'd just said, but if it gave Relena something positive to think about then she wasn't going to question it.
 
"I'm tired, I think I'll go to bed. Dorothy?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Would you contact Doctor Merquise in the morning for me and ask him if he can spare the time to call around and talk with me tomorrow? I have a lot of questions for him."
 
"I'll call first thing."
 
"Thank you."
 
* * *
 
Duo whistled to himself as he strolled down to the stable block, Heero was already putting the horses out and feeding them, having beaten Duo out of bed by half an hour. The braided vet wandered into the stables and headed straight for Peacemillion's stable. He smiled as he looked over the half door. The stallion was looking a lot brighter than he had yesterday. Leaving the stable for the moment, Duo stepped into the small dispensary and fetched his stethoscope.
 
"How is he?" asked Heero as he returned with the empty feed buckets.
 
"Temperature is still slightly elevated but his heart rate and breathing are normal. His color is good too. Do you think you could hold him for me for a moment while I give him a shot of penicillin and a painkiller, please?"
 
"Sure."
 
Duo fetched the required drugs from the dispensary and returned to the stable where Heero was holding the stallion. He swabbed a spot on the gray's rump and quickly injected the drugs, swabbing again after he'd removed the needle. "There, all done. Thanks, Heero."
 
"No problem," replied Heero and then went to check the horse's feed bin. "He ate all his dinner."
 
"Good." Duo checked the water bucket, pleased to note it was half empty. "I'll clean his stable out as I want to check his manure," Duo said as the pair exited the stable.
 
"Would you like me to make him up another bran mash?"
 
"If you don't mind. I think he'd be better off on the lighter stuff for now, we can try him on a more solid feed base tomorrow, if all continues well with him."
 
"Okay." Heero disappeared into the feed shed to make up the mash while Duo fetched the poop scoop and proceeded to clean out the stallion's stable.
 
Duo had just finished when the sound of tires on the gravel driveway reached his ears. Putting down the bucket and scoop, Duo went out to see who the visitor was at such an early hour.
 
"Zechs. Good morning to you."
 
Zechs stepped out of his car and smiled at the other vet. "Morning, Duo. How is the patient today?"
 
"Doing well. Come and take a look for yourself." Duo led the other vet inside the stables, explaining what treatment he'd performed that morning.
 
Leaning over the stable door, Zechs gave a sigh of relief. The horse was certainly a lot different to what he'd been the previous day. There was still a long way to go with the healing and recovery process, but so far everything was pointing to a complete recovery.
 
"I thought it would be best to keep him on the bran mash for today. Tomorrow we can try him on something a little more solid."
 
"Good idea," replied Zechs.
 
"I've just finished cleaning out his stable and was going to check his manure."
 
"Right. I'd like to take a look myself." Zechs followed Duo as the other vet picked up the bucket and carried it outside where they could see better.
 
Heero emerged from the feed shed with the bran mash in a bucket. He watched the pair exiting with the manure bucket and smiled to himself. He shook his head as he entered Peacemillion's stable and put the feed into the feed bin. It never ceased to tickle him that Duo, and now Zechs too it appeared, seemed to get all excited over a pile of shit.
 
The two vets went through the manure, happy with what they found. "Looks like the reattachment was successful," said Duo as he poked some of the manure.
 
"I'd say so," replied Zechs. There wasn't any trace of blood or hard lumps in the manure which was a good sign. "I'd like to take a sample and have a look under the microscope to be completely sure that there's nothing in there that shouldn't be."
 
"I've got one up at the surgery if you want to use it."
 
"Thanks for the offer but I think I'll pass. I'll take a sample back to Oakford with me and do it there as I'm going to be late as it is." Zechs looked at his watch.
 
"No problem. I'll pop some in a container for you."
 
"Thanks."
 
Zechs left a few minutes later, sample in a small jar beside him.
 
* * *
 
"Morning, Doctor Merquise."
 
"Morning, Zoe," replied Zechs as he entered the surgery at Oakford. "Sorry I'm a little late, I stopped off to check on that colic case I had yesterday."
 
"I thought you might have. Doctor Alves was asking if you were in yet and that's what I told him."
 
"Thanks."
 
"How is the horse?"
 
"Doing very well. I've got a sample here I want to check so I'll be in the equipment room. Do I have any cases yet this morning?"
 
"No, nothing has come in yet. You do have a suture removal this afternoon. Oh, there was a call for you too, a Miss Catalonia."
 
Zechs raised an eyebrow, the name wasn't familiar to him.
 
"She asked if you could call back. She said she was inquiring about the horse you operated on yesterday." Zoe passed over a piece of paper with the details on it.
 
"Thanks. I'll go check this sample and then I'll call back and find out what she wants." Zechs turned and headed for the equipment room and the microscope. Once done with his inspections of the microscopic world, Zechs returned to the reception area and fetched the file out on Peacemillion. He entered in the latest data that Duo had given him as well as his findings from the microscope. Once all was up-to-date, he replaced the file and went through to the small staff room and made himself a coffee. Picking up the 'phone, he dialed the number Zoe had given him.
 
Five minutes later, Zechs replaced the 'phone and stroked his chin thoughtfully.
 
* * *
 
The day passed fairly quickly for Zechs and at the end of his shift he was heading for the Peacecraft stud to talk with Relena a little more. Part of him was anxious about the meeting and another part of him held a small amount of hope. If Relena wanted to talk further then maybe, just maybe, he would get back part of the family he'd lost.
 
The cell phone rang and Zechs pushed the small 'talk' button on the hands free set. "Merquise."
 
"Zechs, it's Treize."
 
Zechs felt himself warm at the sound of his lover's voice. "Hey," he said softly.
 
"I'm sorry I haven't called sooner, I didn't want to disturb you at work. How are you?"
 
"I'm fine." Zechs continued to converse, answering Treize's questions about Peacemillion before the subject changed to the previous evening. Zechs was touched at his boyfriend's concern and happily talked with him for a few more minutes, assuring the other man that he had more than enjoyed himself.
 
"I know this is short notice and all, but would you like to go out for dinner tonight?"
 
"Treize, I'd love to, but right now I'm on my way to Relena's and I don't know how long I will be."
 
"That's okay. Maybe a rain check?"
 
"For sure."
 
"May I ask why you're going to Relena's?"
 
"She wants to talk to me some more regarding my past."
 
"Would you…? Did you want me to come with you?"
 
"Thanks for the offer, Treize, but I think I'd be better going alone this time. I appreciate the thought though."
 
"No problem. Care to call in after?"
 
"I'll see how late it is when I finish."
 
"Okay."
 
A few more words were exchanged and then the call was cut. Zechs found himself pulling into the driveway of the Peacecraft stud. He exited the car and was met at the front door by Dorothy who escorted him to the lounge room where Relena sat in an overstuffed chair, eyes focused on the fire crackling in the grate.
 
"Can I get you anything to drink, Doctor Merquise?"
 
"No, thank you, Dorothy."
 
"I'll leave you to it then." Dorothy exited, closing the door behind her.
 
Once they were alone, Relena looked up at the tall vet, now her uncle as well. "Thank you for coming back, Doctor Merquise."
 
"My pleasure. Please, call me Zechs." Zechs took a seat as indicated by Relena and waited for the woman to speak.
 
Relena ordered her thoughts and then began to talk. Explaining a little of what she'd remembered of her younger days and family, she began to question the vet. "Obviously there is a large part of this story missing and before I can fully understand what happened in my youth and the results of such happenings, I need for you to try and fill in some of the gaps. I'll also explain a little more of what happened in my life when I was younger, I'm sure you are curious to know."
 
Zechs nodded. He could accommodate that request. Taking a deep breath he fixed his niece with his gaze. "You already know why I was banished from the family, but there is more to it than that." Zechs stared out the window as his mind rolled back the years.
 
"Once the inquiry was over I left. I packed everything I owned and could stuff into a couple of duffle bags and cleared out. I was just shy of eighteen, homeless and unwanted, but I did have one thing on my side. With my good grades the acceptance into veterinary college had come with a full scholarship. I left town and hitchhiked to the city. The first thing I did when I got there was to change my name. I didn't want to be associated with my father and getting rid of the name was the first step."
 
"I can understand that," said Relena softly.
 
"Oh?"
 
"I did a similar thing myself, but I can explain that later. Please, continue."
 
"My original name was Milliardo Peacecraft, I changed it to Zechs Merquise. Robin's middle name was Zechs, I felt it would keep his memory with me to take his name as such. Anyway, I moved into the dorms at the vet college, produced the paperwork to confirm my scholarship and name change and I was in. I picked up a few part time jobs over the years to pay for my room and food at the college. It wasn't easy trying to combine studies and work, but I didn't have anything else to do with my life so I threw myself into the course; it was a way to forget the past, help with trying to get over the grief in my heart. You see, Relena, the day Robin died, Milliardo Peacecraft also died."
 
Zechs paused for a moment to see how the woman was taking all this. She was listening intently, no emotion showing on her face. Zechs continued.
 
"As much as it hurt to think of my father and what he'd done, I also needed to keep tabs on the family for my own sanity. It's not easy to erase eighteen years of your life and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't do it. I didn't give a damn about the old man; he could rot in hell as far as I was concerned. No, I needed to know that your mother was okay. Alice and I were fairly close, we shared a lot of our thoughts and plans for the future together, after I was disowned I had to know that she was okay, for my own sake. Tell me, Relena. Did your mother ever speak of her younger days? Did she tell you how she met your father? Talk to you about their courtship and then marriage?"
 
Relena looked a little puzzled. "No, not really. I know she met dad through the stables and that they had a whirlwind romance and then got married. They had me about a year later."
 
Zechs gave a sad smile. "Relena, I hate to say this, but only part of that is true."
 
"What do you mean?" Relena's eyes narrowed.
 
"Look. I don't want to shatter any illusions for you, but you need to know the truth."
 
Relena felt as if she had been caught in a spider's web, her entire life nothing but silken strands that were being steadily snapped with each word her uncle spoke. As painful as it was, she wanted to know the truth. Since finding out about her uncle, she somehow instinctively knew that there was a whole lot more to her past that she didn't know and he was her only tie to that past, her grandparents and parents all dead. As painful as she sensed this was going to be, and not only for her, she had to know. "Please, tell me," she murmured quietly.
 
"Relena, before I do, I want you to know that what I am about to say is the truth. I have no reason to lie to you, the truth will not benefit me in any way, shape, form or matter. I have no interest in reclaiming the Peacecraft name, and I certainly do not intend to challenge your right to the Peacecraft inheritance."
 
"I didn't think for a moment that you would stand to gain anything from this," replied Relena. "If I'd thought that I wouldn't have asked you to come here and explain to me your claims. No, this is a part of me, my history, and I think I have a right to know. As you are my only living relative I will have to trust that what you're about to tell me is the truth."
 
Zechs nodded. "You may want Dorothy back in here when I say what I have to. I think it is going to come as a shock to you and you might find her support needed."
 
"Okay." Relena rang the small bell and Dorothy appeared. Relena gave her a brief outline of what was going on and Dorothy agreed to stay. Truth be told, Dorothy was quite eager to find out the past that Zechs spoke of and while she'd known that her mistress would confide in her sooner or later, it was nice to be trusted to hear it from the source.
 
Once everyone was comfortable again, Zechs continued his story...
 
"I'd been gone for about six months and during that time I'd kept an eye on the newspapers and contacted a friend of mine back home who kept me up-to-date with what was going on with the family. He told me that Alice had begun to rebel against my father once I'd left, whether in protest at my being banished or because of what they told her, I really don't know. I tried to contact her a couple of times but she didn't want anything to do with me. I almost gave up until one day, I'd passed my first year exams with honors and wanted to tell someone the good news. I tried again to contact your mother, knowing she would probably reject me again, and she did. That's when I decided I'd never try again. About two weeks later my friend wrote to me to let me know my sister was getting married. I found it to be quite a shock to say the least. She had only just turned seventeen, my nineteenth birthday was a few weeks away. I immediately wrote back to my friend and asked him for the details. He wrote back and told me all he knew."
 
"By the time I had the information I needed, the wedding had taken place and your mother and her new husband had settled down to married life on their own property. Four months later, you were born."
 
Relena's head jerked up. "Four months after their wedding?" she whispered softly, her skin paling.
 
"Yes, Relena. I managed to contact your father, at first he didn't want to speak to me either, but I managed to persuade him to meet with me. He did and we had a long talk. I won't go into all the details, but he told me, my father had told your mother that I had killed Robin and to save me from being arrested and charged, they had covered it up by saying it was an accident and then sent me away. They spun some story about how I was jealous of Robin. Your mother had liked Robin too and so she found it hard to accept that I could have done something so horrible, that's why she didn't want to speak with me any longer. She rebelled in a sense, feeling Robin's death just as much as I did and she turned to your father for comfort."
 
Relena could sense what was coming next and she wasn't sure if she wanted to hear it or not. Dorothy moved a little closer and took her mistress' hand in her own to offer some comfort.
 
"John's father was into racehorses and kept a couple at my father's stables. Alice met him and instantly fell in love. John was everything that dad didn't approve of. He was handsome, rough and a bit of a playboy. He knew he was good looking and he always had a string of girls after him. Alice soon joined that string. Your father started to date my sister and from what John told me they enjoyed a night of passion together. From there the relationship blossomed. At first I think John was only interested in how he could better himself, being with a Peacecraft daughter pushed his standing in the horse world up rather a lot. But then Alice discovered she was pregnant."
 
Relena's hand flew to her mouth, all her dreams shattered before her eyes. Dorothy wrapped an arm around the young woman's shoulders.
 
"Once my father found out you can imagine what happened. Before they knew it, Alice and John were married, settled into their own place and then you were born. At first they seemed to be very happy, John's father helped him out setting up the stud and things went from strength to strength. My father couldn't accept that though. He was very bitter towards John for humiliating him and never passed up an opportunity to have a dig at him."
 
Relena nodded her head. "I always knew there was something rotten between my father and grandfather, but I didn't know what. I guess that answers that question."
 
Zechs gave a soft smile. "I appreciate this isn't easy for you to hear, Relena; and I'm afraid it gets worse."
 
"It does?" Relena swallowed hard.
 
"Tell me, Relena. What do you remember or know of your mother and father's passing?"
 
"I, I don't remember a whole lot about mother, just that she was really sick. She caught some disease or something." Relena's voice began to hitch with emotion as she thought about her dead mother.
 
"And what of your father?"
 
"He, he had an accident."
 
"Relena, most of that is true, but there's a reason behind your mother's death."
 
"What do you mean? How could you know all this if you were ostracized? You said yourself my mother wouldn't have anything to do with you after Robin's death. I can't see my father associating with you either under the circumstances."
 
Zechs sighed. "True, your mother didn't have anything to do with me and neither did John. I only met up with him twice, after that he didn't contact me again and I didn't contact him."
 
"Then how? You're making all this up, I know it."
 
"Relena. I swear to you this is all true. I had a private detective follow your family. By this stage I was in the last parts of my internship and the money was pretty good. I could afford a private eye and employed one just to keep me informed of what was going on."
 
"You were spying on us?!"
 
"No." Zechs rubbed a weary hand over his face. "Please, let me finish. Then if you wish to toss me out and never hear from me again I'll respect that decision."
 
Relena didn't look at all happy but she was curious as to what else her uncle had to say so she dropped it for the moment. "Fine. Continue."
 
"John's father died and of course John inherited quite a substantial sum of money. Not long after my father also passed away and Alice inherited a small fortune. They invested the money in a large property; this property. John was going from strength to strength in the racing game, as you know, he was breeding and racing some top stock."
 
"Yes, I know that. I used to help him out with the breeding side."
 
"With the success of the stud, your father began to travel, searching for new bloodstock to bring in. With his constant trips away and involvement in the racing game your parents began to grow apart. You would have been around eight or nine, I think."
 
Relena cast her mind back and could vaguely remember her parents having arguments. She'd never taken much notice though as they always tried to keep their arguments away from her and she'd only stumbled across them exchanging heated words on a couple of occasions.
 
"Relena, what I'm about to tell you, you aren't going to like, but I swear it's the truth. One night, your mother came home early from a bridge club she went to each week. She hadn't been feeling too well and decided to leave early. When she got home she found your father in bed..."
 
Relena's eyes widened.
 
"...with another man."
 
The room swam for a moment as Relena desperately fought the rising nausea. Her father, in bed, with another man? "No! No, it's not true!"
 
"I'm sorry, Relena, but it is. I have proof, but I'd rather not show you that if I don't have to."
 
"But..."
 
"Your mother went hysterical. Several heated words were exchanged and she stormed out of the house. John went after her but it took him several hours before he found her and when he did she was half out of her mind with rage. She was also soaking wet. He brought her home and put her to bed, calling the doctor as soon as he could. To cut the long story short, she caught the 'flu which became pneumonia. She did recover to a point but not fully. Her world was shattered, she'd been betrayed by her husband; for another man, no less, and she couldn't find it in her heart to talk to him about it, let alone think about forgiving him. He tried to explain to her, but she wouldn't listen."
 
A piece of a jigsaw fell into place in Relena's head. "So that's why..."
 
"What, Relena?" Dorothy asked.
 
"My mother, she always spoke about homosexuals as being the scum of the earth, nothing but weak minded sissies that didn't deserve to live. I didn't really understand what she meant at the time, but now it makes sense."
 
"It would also explain your hatred of gay people," Zechs said softly.
 
"After my mother - passed away," Relena took a breath. "My father, he didn't socialize much, he never brought home any other women. I always thought it was because he missed my mother. Now that I think about it, he did always have a few male friends around. Oh god!" Relena felt the room spin again.
 
"As much as it pains me to say it, Relena. Your father was a homosexual."
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...