Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 40 ( Chapter 40 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 2x1x2, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook (Equestrian Federation of Australia). Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 40
 
"As much as it pains me to say it, Relena. Your father was a homosexual."
 
Relena felt as if all the air in the room had been sucked out. She blanched as the thought of her own father being gay hit her and hit her hard. Suddenly all the venomous words her mother had spoken about gay people, along with her grandfather's snide comments came spilling through her mind. It was too much for her to take in and she felt the room begin to spin.
 
As Relena fainted, Dorothy managed to prevent her from hitting the floor. With Zechs' assistance they lay Relena on the couch, elevated her feet and waited for the woman to come around.
 
"Is she going to be all right?" Zechs asked nervously.
 
"She will. I must say though, you do have a talent for making the ladies faint," replied Dorothy with a quirk to her lips.
 
Zechs blushed.
 
"Tell me one thing, Doctor Merquise. Do you have any more bombshells to drop?"
 
"Eh?"
 
"Just so I know whether or not to call the doctor or if the smelling salts will be enough."
 
Zechs shook his head, a smile on his lips. "No, I don't really have much more to add."
 
"Thank goodness for that. I don't think I can take much more of this, let alone Relena."
 
On the couch, Relena began to stir, Dorothy was quick to her side. "Miss Relena? Are you okay?"
 
Relena's eyes blinked open. "I fainted again, didn't I?"
 
"Yes, you did, but I'm not surprised," replied Dorothy. "Just lie there for a little longer, you've had quite a shock."
 
As Relena lay there so all of her uncle's words came rushing back. She turned to see the vet sitting opposite. "How, how can you be so sure? My father never showed any tendencies towards men that I can recall. I know he had a lot of male friends, but they were just business acquaintances."
 
Zechs lowered his head, hiding his eyes. "Besides the private detective I hired, the man your mother caught your father in bed with was a friend of mine."
 
Relena felt as if she was going to be sick. "Then my life, everything I was brought up to believe, all I've been told is nothing but a lie; a life full of lies and hypocrites."
 
"Relena, your parents loved you very much."
 
"How can I believe that? My father, the man I... " Relena paused, choking on the words.
 
"I know you adored your father, Relena. He was a fine man with excellent business skills and a knack for breeding the best racehorses around. You have inherited that from him. Before you condemn him, think back, Relena. Think back over your childhood. Did he ever harm you? Did he ever give you reason to doubt he cared for you, would do anything to make you happy? Don't you think he deserved some happiness too? Your mother was partly to blame for him seeking comfort elsewhere. You see, she deliberately got herself pregnant with you to escape my father's controlling ways. She trapped your father into a marriage he didn't want. Your father was a lot more honorable that you give him credit for. He did the right thing and gave you a father and a home life. Homosexuals were just as scorned then as they are now and like most gay men, he covered up his preferences by flirting with women. He didn't realize he would be trapped by one. As much as I loved my sister, she did the wrong thing there and caused a lot of pain and grief for many people."
 
Slowly the light began to dawn in Relena's eyes as she tossed around the information. Her mother had deliberately gotten pregnant and forced her father to marry her. Her father had done the right thing, forsaking his own chances at happiness to provide her with a loving home life and parents who cared. She winced inwardly as she thought about the number of times she'd spoken harshly about homosexuals in front of her father, how much pain she must have caused him, and yet he never once showed anything other than love for her.
 
"Relena?"
 
Relena looked up.
 
"I think I should leave now. You have all the facts and a lot to come to terms with. I'm truly sorry you had to find all this out this way. Please forgive me for being the one to bring you such painful memories and telling you what you needed to know. I couldn't stand back though and see you continue to live your life this way, hurting yourself and possibly damaging other people in the process; it isn't right. I quite understand if you don't want to see me or associate with me again."
 
Relena gave a shaky smile and held out her hand. "Yes, I do have a lot to come to terms with, you're right about that. As much as I wish this wasn't true, I believe you and I thank you for coming here and enlightening me. I would be lying if I were to say it hasn't affected me, for it has. Right now I have many emotions to sort through, but," Relena opened her arms, "you're my blood relative and I do realize how much it must have pained you to tell me this; the horrors it has dragged up for you. Thank you for baring your soul to me. You are my uncle and I hope we can get to know each other better over the years."
 
Zechs stepped forward and embraced his niece. "Thank you for not rejecting me."
 
"Uncle Zechs, you will always be welcome in my home."
 
`Uncle Zechs.' How he had longed to hear those words and now that they had been spoken he felt his heart lighten and a load slip from his weary shoulders. He smiled. "Take care, Relena. I'll be in touch."
 
Dorothy saw Zechs out and then returned to the lounge room and her mistress. Her mind was also going a mile a minute, realizing just what a large step Relena had taken in accepting Zechs as her uncle and no doubt her mistress would want to talk to someone. Hopefully this would be the first small step of many her mistress would take in getting her life sorted out. She stepped inside the lounge room and glanced at Relena. "Miss Relena?"
 
Relena looked up at Dorothy. "Yes?"
 
"Now that you know the truth, what are you going to do?" Dorothy couldn't begin to contemplate how her mistress must be feeling, but she knew Relena would need a guiding hand to sort through all of this and not make the same mistakes her parents had.
 
"I don't really know what I'm going to do. It's not every day you find out that your father, the man you loved wasn't what he seemed to be; in fact, he was everything you'd been brought up to hate."
 
"Do you hate him?"
 
A tear tracked down Relena's face. "No. No, I don't hate him. How could I? I feel hurt, betrayed that he never thought to tell me the truth; but I can't hate him."
 
"Relena?" Dorothy shifted to sit next to her mistress and gently took her hand in her own. What she was about to say would undoubtedly cause more pain for her mistress, but it needed to be said.
 
"Yes?"
 
"I want you to think carefully about what I'm about to say. This infatuation you have with Heero. You have to let it go. He's obviously very much in love with Doctor Maxwell and that vet is very much in love with Heero. You've already experienced yourself what it feels like to be betrayed, to be lied to. Your uncle has revealed so much to you about how bitterness, hatred and revenge can destroy lives. Before you continue in your pursuit of Heero, I want you to think about that. Would you have history repeat itself just for your own selfish reasons? Would you have Heero trapped into something he doesn't want? Force him to live a lie like your father had to? You've already caused considerable pain and damage to an innocent person; could you live with yourself knowing you had destroyed true love?"
 
Relena swallowed hard and thought on Dorothy's words. They cut through her heart like a knife as she understood exactly what Dorothy was saying. Taking a mental step back, she looked at the situation from an outsider's view. Suddenly she was able to see clearly, all her actions over the past few weeks came back in startling clarity and she didn't like what she saw. Thinking hard she began to speak, slowly and deliberately choosing her words.
 
"After all that has been said I think it would be very wrong of me to continue, I realize that now. As much as I still want Heero, I can see he isn't in love with me. It hurts to know I was conceived out of wedlock, what my mother did to get out of her home situation without regard for my father. It hurts to know that my father went along with it just to keep his secret safe and then when he was discovered, the ridicule and pain he went through. He was a kind, loving man and I think I owe it to his memory not to repeat the same mistake. No, I'll contact Heero and Doctor Maxwell. I need to apologize to them both." Fresh tears began to fall down Relena's cheeks.
 
Dorothy pulled her mistress into her arms and held her close, letting the tears fall. She knew how hard this must have been for the woman and underneath she admired Relena's courage for facing the facts and admitting she was wrong.
 
"After my mother died, my father became my entire world. He was always there for me, listened to my ideas, hopes and dreams. Never once did he ridicule me, he only ever encouraged me. I felt the loss of my mother deeply and it took several years for that grief to subside. It never really leaves you though. I guess that's why, when I inherited this place I changed the stud name."
 
"I'd always wondered why you didn't continue with the original stud name of Darlian Stud," Dorothy said quietly.
 
Relena sniffled a couple of times and wiped her eyes. "After losing mother I threw myself into the breeding side of the stud, working on bloodlines and the like with my father. I thought it would help me to come to terms with losing my mother. During the time between my mother's death and my father's accident I tried to convince him to get out of the thoroughbreds, that breeding for the competition field would be more profitable. He didn't see it that way. Once he passed away, I decided to follow my dream of breeding top quality competition horses. There was a growing market for them, demand far exceeding supply and a lot of people were looking overseas to purchase quality animals. Once I had made up my mind I changed the stud name. People associated the name Darlian with thoroughbreds, I wanted a completely separate identity and so I changed the name to Peacecraft Stud. It was also a way of honoring my mother's memory too. I had my own name changed back to that of my mother's maiden name and the stud as you know has grown from there."
 
"Why change your own name though. Surely you would have wanted to keep the Darlian name to honor your father?" Dorothy asked.
 
Relena sighed. "Yes, in one way it would be nice to keep the name, but then; one day I hope to marry and my name will be changed anyway so it really doesn't matter what my name is. Changing back to Peacecraft seemed a good idea and it keeps in touch with the stud as well. Although I had hoped to have been Mrs Yuy. Guess that's shot to pieces now." Relena couldn't help the small chuckle.
 
Smiling softly, Dorothy released the woman that was still in her embrace and looked her in the eyes. "Miss Relena, forgive me if I am speaking out of turn, but I want you to know I think you have really grown up in these past few hours. It hasn't been easy to hear all that has been said and it's harder on you, I know. I admire you for the courage you're showing and I think you're right in apologizing to Doctor Maxwell and Heero. I also think you're doing the right thing in accepting Doctor Merquise back into your family. Now, I'm hungry so how about you get cleaned up and I'll take you out to dinner somewhere to celebrate."
 
Relena smiled. "I think I'd like that, Dorothy."
 
"Good."
 
* * *
 
Zechs left the Peacecraft stud, his own mind thick with thoughts of what had transpired. His heart was lighter though and there was a definite spring in his step. Now that the truth was out in the open and Relena had all the facts he sincerely hoped that the woman would think long and hard on what he'd said and change her outlook and attitude.
 
Somehow, he had a feeling she would.
 
He flipped his cell phone and pressed a number.
 
"Kushrenada."
 
"Treize, it's Zechs. Does that offer to call around still stand?"
 
"Zechs," Treize breathed. "Of course the offer is still open. How did it go? Are you okay? When can I expect you?"
 
"Slow down, Treize," Zechs laughed. "I'm pulling into your driveway now and I'll tell you all about it in a few minutes."
 
"Great." Treize hung up and went to the front door to greet his boyfriend and find out all that had transpired.
 
* * *
 
"Ride him harder Duo, he's having you on," Heero called from where he was sitting on the fence watching Duo working Zero.
 
Duo was having a tough time with the gray. Zero had been neglected over the past few of days, the practice, Peacemillion and numerous other little things having kept Duo from being able to get the time to work the stallion. Now it seemed that Zero didn't want to work again and was giving Duo a hard time.
 
"Use more leg," called Heero. He could see that the stallion was simply being lazy and saying in his equine way to Duo: "Make me." Heero couldn't hold the chuckle though as he watched his boyfriend suddenly switch from 'passenger' to 'rider'.
 
"Right, you beast," growled Duo. "You're not going to make a fool out of me. I know you can work better than this and so help me, you're going to work." Duo set his mouth in a grim line, shortened his reins and sat down hard in his saddle. He used his seat and legs just how Heero had taught him to and rode the gray forward.
 
Zero tried to snatch the reins from Duo's hands.
 
"Oh no, you don't," snapped Duo and quickly took back the contact, applying his leg harder.
 
Zero decided to change tactics and threw in a small buck. It wasn't a nasty buck, but it did manage to unseat Duo who wasn't expecting it at all. The vet lost his stirrups and pitched forward onto Zero's neck. The shift of his rider's weight surprised Zero and the stallion came to an abrupt halt. The suddenness of the stop caused Duo to slip further forward and then slide rather ungracefully over the stallion's right shoulder and hit the dirt.
 
Watching the drama unfolding before him, Heero felt his heart leap into his mouth as Zero bucked and Duo lost his seat.
 
"Shit!" he exclaimed as Zero stopped and Duo fell unceremoniously to the ground. Quickly he jumped down from the fence and began to jog towards the pair trying to keep his worry at bay. As he drew closer he slowed to a fast walk; he didn't want to frighten Zero and possibly cause damage to Duo or the horse.
 
"Easy, boy," Heero said in soothing tones as he approached. His worry was growing as Duo hadn't moved. "Duo? Duo? Are you okay?" Heero said, his voice full of concern as he grabbed the horse's reins.
 
As Duo hit the ground, all the air was forced out of his lungs. He closed his eyes as he desperately tried to force oxygen back into those lungs, only to have them struggle to do so. The pain was excruciating, but he managed to get some air in. He felt like a landed fish the way he was gasping. He became aware of Heero's voice, but couldn't answer as he didn't have enough oxygen to spare right now.
 
Heero yanked the reins over Zero's head and crouched beside Duo, He removed Duo's helmet and pushed those chestnut bangs back, relieved to see Duo's eyes open. He picked up on the wheezing and gathered that Duo had winded himself. He hoped that was all that was wrong. "Stay where you are and try to take shallow breaths, deep ones will only hurt," Heero said quietly. He'd been winded himself a couple of times and knew exactly how it felt.
 
Duo tried to do as Heero said, drawing shallow breaths and slowly deepening them as his lungs began to return to normal. Once he could breathe properly again, he began to sit up.
 
"Are you okay? Did you hurt yourself anywhere else?" Heero asked as he looked his lover over for any sign of injury.
 
"Just winded," replied Duo. "Oh, and my pride is a little dented." Duo turned to look at Zero and narrowed his eyes.
 
Zero looked back innocently. He'd only given a small buck, he hadn't expected his rider to become unseated, and he *had* stopped when he felt that weight shifting.
 
"Come here, you rotten animal. Fuck with me, will you?" Duo's tone was low and annoyed. Gingerly he stood up, put his helmet back on and faced Zero.
 
Zero's innocent expression turned to one of guilt as he heard the tone of voice. Zero stepped to the side and tried to hide behind Heero.
 
"Oh no, you don't, buddy," Heero stated and moved to the side, handing Duo the reins again. "You did the crime, now you do the time."
 
"Buck me off, will you? I'll show you who's boss. You're going to work twice as hard now." Duo slipped the reins back over Zero's head, grasped the stirrup and remounted. Collecting his reins, Duo pushed his helmet down a little harder on his head and then turned the gray around. "Now, let's see some proper work."
 
Heero watched, an amused smile on his face as Duo rode the stallion away. The snicker followed once Duo was out of earshot as he watched Zero completely give in and let Duo make him work.
 
Half an hour later, Duo brought the gray to a walk. Zero was breathing hard, sweat covered the gray and Duo wasn't much better. But he'd shown Zero who was boss. Zero decided it would be to his advantage not to try any more tricks on the usually nice human again, not if it meant he had to work this hard. Oh, and he didn't want to miss out on any carrots either.
 
"I think he needs a hose down," said Heero as Duo rode up to the gate where Heero waited.
 
"He's no the only one," replied Duo and sniffed himself. "I smell like a soggy horse rug."
 
"If it's any consolation, you don't look like one."
 
"Thanks, I think."
 
Heero put the gear away while Duo hosed Zero off. Once the sweat was washed out of the stallion's coat, Duo turned the hose off and picked up the sweat scraper, running it in fluid lines over the gray coat and removing the excess water[1]. Heero returned with Zero's cotton summer rug and handed it to Duo who put it on to stop the horse from catching a chill. Zero stood perfectly still, displaying impeccable manners while the nice human and his master tended to him.
 
"Shall I put him back out in the paddock?" asked Duo, glancing at his watch.
 
"Yeah. It's only four, a little early to put him in yet. I'll come back down later while you're in consults and bring them all in," replied Heero.
 
"Okay." Duo undid the lead rope from the ring in the wall.
 
Zero began to nuzzle Duo's pockets.
 
"And just what is it you're after?" Duo said as he eyed the gray.
 
Zero blinked and looked innocently at the nice human. He gave a low wuffle and nosed Duo's pockets again in a hopeful fashion.
 
"I don't think you deserve any carrots, not after your performance."
 
Zero gave another soft whicker, turned his liquid, brown eyes up to full force and nuzzled Duo.
 
Duo melted. "Okay. Here you go, but you don't deserve it, you rogue." Duo couldn't keep the amusement out of his voice as he fed Zero a carrot.
 
"What a push over," sniggered Heero.
 
Duo blushed and then turned back to the stallion. "Come on, you. Out to the paddock, the company here is getting a little oppressive."
 
Heero couldn't help but laugh as Duo led the horse back out to the paddock.
 
* * *
 
Duo stepped out of the bedroom toweling his hair. He'd taken his shower as soon as he got back to the house, complaining he still smelt like a stable. Heero had made them a coffee and sat with the two mugs and Duo's hairbrush in the lounge room. Duo draped the towel around his shoulders, Heero picking up the mass of chestnut and working the tangles out of it. It took him a little while to do as he only had the use of one hand.
 
"I'll bet you'll be glad to get that cast off," remarked Duo as he sipped his coffee. He had half an hour before evening consults started.
 
"You have no idea," replied Heero.
 
"What time was the appointment?"
 
"One o'clock, two weeks tomorrow," Heero said and continued to brush Duo's long mane. "Not that I'm counting the days or anything."
 
Duo chuckled and closed his eyes, content to enjoy Heero brushing his hair.
 
The 'phone rang, disturbing the peace. Heero dropped the hair brush and grabbed the 'phone from the small table beside where he was sitting. "Maxwell Veterinary Practice."
 
Duo continued to sit on the floor between Heero's knees, hoping the call wasn't a call out.
 
"He's right here, Mr Klink, I'll put him on." Heero reached down and handed the 'phone to Duo. "It's Mr Klink for you."
 
Duo took the offered handset, a puzzled look on his face. Why would his solicitor be calling him? The court case was set for next week and everything was pretty well 'sewn up' as Klink had put it. "Duo Maxwell speaking. What can I do for you, Mr Klink?"
 
* * *
 
"Are you sure, Miss Peacecraft?" Mr Randall twiddled the pen in his hand. "Well, yes, I agree that would be the best course of action to take under the circumstances. In all honesty, we would be fighting a losing battle." Randall dropped the pen to the table. "I can't guarantee that it will be accepted, all I can do is try. Okay then. I'll see what I can do and call you back once I have any information. Thank you, Miss Peacecraft, I'll be in touch."
 
Randall replaced the receiver and stared at the wall for a few moments. He couldn't say he wasn't pleased with the news he'd just received, actually he thought it was the most sensible thing he'd heard all day. He fetched the Peacecraft file from his cabinet and flipped it open. Scanning through, he added a few notes and then picked up the 'phone.
 
"Gordon and Klink, how can I help you?"
 
"I'd like to speak to Mr Klink, please."
 
"May I ask who's calling?"
 
"It's Randall."
 
"Just one moment, please, I'll see if he's free, Mr Randall."
 
"Thank you." Randall waited patiently while he was on hold, the music not unpleasant.
 
"Klink here. What can I do for you, Randall?"
 
"You remember the case of Maxwell versus Peacecraft?"
 
"Yes. The hearing is next week."
 
"Klink, I've got some news for you that you need to discuss with your client."
 
* * *
 
"I see," said Duo, his face impassive as he listened to the solicitor. "No, that sounds logical to me. What would you recommend?"
 
Heero watched from the couch as Duo spoke with the solicitor. He couldn't ascertain whether it was good news or bad news, Duo's face not indicating anything other than deep thought.
 
"Okay. Thank you for that, Mr Klink. Look, I'd like to think about it and discuss this with my partner before making a decision. Can I call you back tomorrow? Thank you. Good bye." Duo passed the receiver back to Heero who placed it in the cradle.
 
"Mind if I ask what that was all about?" Heero said softly.
 
"That was Klink," replied Duo absently as he worried his bottom lip with his teeth.
 
"I gathered that much, I did answer the thing," replied Heero in an amused tone.
 
"Sorry." Duo gave a sheepish grin and then hauled himself to his feet before sitting down next to Heero.
 
"So, are you going to tell me or am I going to have to play twenty questions?"
 
Duo snickered. "Klink received a call from the pink parasite's lawyer. She wants to settle out of court."
 
Heero's eyes widened. "You're joking?"
 
"Nope," Duo grinned.
 
"Are you going to?"
 
"I don't know," replied Duo. "After everything she's said and done I think she deserves to be taken to the cleaners and humiliated like she's done to me."
 
Heero had to agree, but he wanted to know more. "What did Klink say? What brought about the sudden change?"
 
"Klink said he'd received a call from Randall, the parasite's lawyer. From what he was told, Miss Peace-of-crap has had a change of heart."
 
"Really?" replied Heero sarcastically. He didn't mean to be bitter, but the anger he felt over what that woman had done to Duo still rankled him.
 
"I'd bet she knows there's not a hope in hell she can win this court case and rather than have everything dragged through the court she thinks she can settle it the easy way."
 
Heero frowned. "There's something not quite right about this."
 
"I agree," said Duo as his brows knitted together "Something has happened to make her change her mind, she's not exactly been pleasant company in the past. I wonder if it has anything to do with Zechs being her uncle or the fact that I helped to save her horse?"
 
"I honestly don't know, Duo. Are you going to settle out of court?"
 
"Not sure. There's more to this than meets the eye and I'd like to know exactly what it is that's made this parasite change her mind. Heero? I've gotta get going to consults, could you do me a huge favor and give Zechs or Treize a call? See if you can't find out if anything else has gone on that would make her pinkness change her tune?"
 
"Of course."
 
Heero had done as Duo requested, Treize didn't give him much though, he really couldn't divulge something that wasn't his business to speak about. When he'd spoken to Zechs the blonde vet had been a little more enlightening, saying he'd had further talks with Relena and that the woman had been doing some serious thinking. Although what they had discussed, Zechs said was up to Relena to speak about. He did seem happy though that she wasn't going to contest the charges any further.
 
* * *
 
The next day, Duo was still deciding whether or not to accept the offer of an out of court settlement. Duo was in the stables checking on Peacemillion who had made an excellent recovery when Zechs rolled up. "Hey, Zechs."
 
"Hi, Duo. How is the patient today?"
 
"Pretty much back to normal," replied Duo as he noted down his observations on the horse's chart. "Should be able to remove the stitches in another four days."
 
"Good. I contacted Relena to let her know that he should be okay to return to the stud today. I said I would contact Walker after I'd spoken with you to arrange a convenient time to collect him."
 
"Well, he can leave anytime they want to fetch him. I'd say Zero will be pleased to see him go."
 
Zechs chuckled. "Someone's nose being pushed out of joint?"
 
"You could say that," Duo laughed.
 
"Duo? About this court thing."
 
"Yes?" Duo arched an eyebrow.
 
"I know it's none of my business, but for what it's worth I think maybe you should consider settling out of court. Despite the fact that Relena is my niece, she's done some pretty nasty things to you and Heero, but I think you will find she's changed."
 
"I don't know, Zechs. I've not made up my mind yet. She's been pretty rotten towards me ever since she met me. It's going to take a lot more than a simple out of court settlement to make me forget. And how do I know she won't try the same thing again?"
 
"I know, Duo, and I can quite understand how you feel. I will respect your decision either way though and if I can help out, you only have to ask."
 
"Thank you."
 
"I'll contact Walker and see when he can come and pick up Peacemillion." Zechs stepped outside the stable to make the call, Duo following him a moment later.
 
"Would three this afternoon be okay, Duo?"
 
"That's fine."
 
"Okay." Zechs arranged for the stallion to be picked up at three, promising to return himself and give Walker the instructions he would need on Peacemillion's post operative care.
 
* * *
 
Duo headed back down to the stable block at ten to three, Heero had been doing a little work with Shini in the paddock and brought the colt in when he spotted Duo walking towards the stables. Zechs arrived moments later and disappeared with Duo into the dispensary to put together the antibiotics, needles and syringes that would need to go with Peacemillion. Having given Shini a quick brush over, Heero took the colt back to the paddock, shutting the gate as he heard the sound of an approaching car. He turned to see the Peacecraft float coming down the driveway.
 
Walker brought the car and float to a smooth stop and turned the engine off. Once out of the car he went to the tail gate and lowered it in readiness for Peacemillion.
 
Hearing the car and float pull up, Zechs and Duo left the dispensary, dumping the drugs onto the bench in the stable block and went out to greet Walker.
 
As they stepped outside, Duo stopped and his eyes narrowed.
 
Spotting the two vets walking out of the stable block, Relena moved away from the car and towards them. She kept her face neutral, noting the look she was getting from Doctor Maxwell and cringing inside; although she really couldn't blame the man. Taking a deep breath and straightening her spine, Relena stopped and extended her hand. "Doctor Maxwell, I'd like to thank you for all you have done for my horse. I also wish to apologize for my behavior towards you."
 
Duo's face took on a wary look. He eyed the offered hand and glanced at the woman. He could see the conflict going on inside Relena's eyes. Hesitantly, he shook her hand. "You're welcome in regards to the horse. As for the apology, I don't think I can accept that. It's going to take a lot more than an apology to right the wrongs you have committed."
 
Relena lowered her gaze and hand. "I know, but I am truly sorry." Slowly she raised her eyes again. "Doctor Maxwell, if you would be so kind as to spare me a little of your time, I'd really like to talk to you. I have a few things that need to be said, an explanation to offer you and I'd be most grateful if you would listen. Maybe after you hear what I have to say, you will reconsider accepting my apology."
 
Duo thought about it for a moment and then nodded. "Okay. I guess it can't do any harm to listen."
 
"Thank you. Umm... Do you have somewhere a little more private that we could talk?"
 
"We can go into the dispensary if you like." Duo didn't really want to take the woman to the house, it was bad enough she was in the stables. At least it would be much easier to fumigate the stables than the house; oh, and he always had a couple of scalpels in the dispensary he could use for self defense if necessary.
 
"That will be fine." Relena followed Duo into the stables and small dispensary.
 
Shutting the door behind them, Duo crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the small bench, waiting for Relena to speak.
 
Relena took a quick look around the small room and then resigned herself to having to stand up while she spoke; there wasn't room inside for a chair. Clearing her throat, she took a deep breath and then began.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....
 
[1] Sweat Scraper: Another nifty gadget made from wood or hard plastic with a rubber half moon 'lip'. You use the rubber edge to follow the line of the hair, applying light pressure to remove excess water from a horse's coat. To see what one looks like follow the link below.
 
http://www.horse.com/saleitems.aspx?maindept=10&dept=79