Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 41 ( Chapter 41 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 2x1x2, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook (Equestrian Federation of Australia). Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 41
 
Duo wasn't at all happy, but he supposed the least he could do was let the woman have her say before he threw her off the property. Besides, he was curious to know what had happened to make the poisonous pink thing change her mind.
 
Relena knew it wouldn't be easy talking to the vet; especially after all she had done in the past. She could hope that he would hear her out and then at least he would know why she had been so cruel to him. She wasn't expecting him to forgive her, she had no rights to ask for that; but she could hope he would at least accept her apology.
 
Speaking slowly but clearly, Relena began to explain. "Doctor Maxwell, I know I have said some pretty horrible things to you and caused you a lot of grief. I've come to realize that what I have said and done is wrong. I have no right to judge you, no right to accuse you and certainly no right to tell you how you should live your life."
 
"Damn right, you don't," growled Duo.
 
"I'm sorry, Doctor Maxwell. Over these past couple of days I've had some long talks with my uncle, talks that have been both shattering and enlightening. I won't go into all those details though, many of them are personal and don't concern you; but suffice to say, what I have discovered has opened my eyes to a lot of things..."
 
Relena spoke for quite a while, explaining a little of what her childhood had been like, her grandfather and then her mother's insistence that all things homosexual were wrong and perverted. She didn't divulge anything about her own conception or parents' lies to her, but she did admit to discovering that her own father had been a homosexual.
 
"As you can imagine, Doctor Maxwell, that came as a shock to me."
 
"I'll bet it did," mused Duo. He had to admit, what Relena had told him did explain a lot of the reasons for her hostility towards him and he couldn't help but feel a little sorry for the woman. She had obviously gone through a very traumatic time and he knew it must be costing her dearly to face him and admit to all this. He had to give her credit for her courage though.
 
"I've done a lot of thinking, mainly about my father and I realize that despite his… his interest in men," Relena was still having a hard time admitting that, "his love for me, the person he was, his caring attitude and love of life remained the same. I think I'm beginning to understand that the person you are inside doesn't change just because you enjoy the company of the same sex."
 
Duo gave a soft smile. "Something tells me you have learnt a very hard lesson, Miss Peacecraft."
 
Relena gave a sigh. "This isn't easy to come to terms with, to find out that all you have been led to believe, all you have been brought up to respect and understand, has been nothing but a lie, a fabrication. It isn't easy to change an attitude that has been ground in since birth and I know it will take quite some time for me to change my way of thinking. But, I am trying, Doctor Maxwell."
 
"I can see that. It must have taken a great deal of courage for you to tell me this, and I appreciate that."
 
"I realize now that Heero isn't interested in me, that the things I accused you of are completely unfounded. I don't want to make the same mistakes my parents made; I couldn't live with myself knowing I'd destroyed something precious to someone else. I know I've probably burned all my bridges and ruined any possibility of having you accept my apology, but I really am sorry."
 
Duo thought for a moment and then turned his eyes to Relena. "I can't deny that what you have done hasn't hurt me. I have suffered both personally, financially and emotionally because of your selfish acts. I've had to endure an investigation by the AVB, not that I have anything to hide from them as was proven, but the inconvenience of the investigation, not to mention the damage that caused to my reputation cannot be so easily forgotten. I do believe though that you are genuine in your remorse and while it will take a long time for me to forgive you for what you have done, I think that for now, we should call a truce."
 
Raising her eyes, Relena focused on the tall, slender vet before her. "Thank you. A truce would be a good way to start."
 
"I also think you should apologize to Heero," Duo continued. "He's also suffered from your constant interference, more than I have, in some ways."
 
"Yes, I know. I do intend to apologize to him as well, that's if he will allow me to speak with him."
 
"He will."
 
"Thank you, Doctor Maxwell. I know I don't deserve the kindness you've shown me and I do appreciate it. I'll be going now; I'd like to speak with Heero before we leave, if that's okay."
 
"I'll let him know." Duo opened the door to the dispensary and escorted the woman out.
 
"Thank you again, Doctor Maxwell, for all you did to save my horse. You are a good vet."
 
Duo nodded and spotting Heero off to one side, strolled over towards his boyfriend.
 
"You okay?" Heero asked, noting Duo looked a little peaked.
 
"Yeah, I'm fine," replied Duo and ran a hand over his tired eyes. "I've just had quite an in depth chat with Miss Pinkness, rather enlightening too, I might add."
 
"Oh?"
 
"She wished to speak with you, if you want to listen, that is."
 
"Really?" Heero's eyes narrowed. "I don't know if I have anything to say to her."
 
"Heero? Go talk with her. She won't try anything on, I promise you that. Just hear her out and I'm sure you will see, as I did, why she's the way she is. I'm not saying that excuses her behavior in any way, but it does make things a little easier to understand."
 
Heero trusted his lover wouldn't lie to him or set him up. Heero nodded. "Okay then, I'll listen to her, but I'm not promising to be polite."
 
"No one's asking you to," Duo chuckled and then stole a kiss. "I'll be out here if you need rescuing."
 
"I'm sure I can handle one woman by myself," Heero huffed.
 
"Scalpels are in the third drawer."
 
Heero snorted and walked over to Relena, his boyfriend's laughter trailing in his wake.
 
* * *
 
While Duo had been talking with Relena, Zechs had cleverly taken Walker out to the small paddock adjacent to the stables where Peacemillion was. Walker was overjoyed to see the stallion again and it seemed Peacemillion was just as pleased to see Walker. The horse immediately walked over to the fence when he heard Walker's voice.
 
Zechs patiently explained all that they had done for the stallion including the post operative care. He also went through the feed requirements for the stallion while he was still recovering and made an appointment to come out to the Peacecraft Stud and remove the stitches in four days time.
 
Walker listened intently to the instructions from the vet regarding Peacemillion's care, nodding in the appropriate places as he made a fuss of the stallion.
 
"He's still requiring two shots a day of Penicillin, one in the morning and one at night. We have managed to avoid any infection thus far and the course should be finished in another five days. All being well, he shouldn't require any further treatment. I'll discuss his feeding changes with you once I remove the stitches, by then he should be able to resume a normal diet, although I'd keep the concentrates low for a bit longer as he's not going to be doing much in the way of exercise and we don't need other complications due to the feed being too rich for him."
 
"Thank you, Doctor Merquise."
 
"My pleasure, Walker. Now, if you would come back inside the stables, I'm sure Doctor Maxwell would like to speak to you and then we can give you the drugs you'll need and send you on your way."
 
Walking back inside, Zechs smiled as he spotted Duo collecting all the drugs together. Something about the vet's relaxed manner told him that the talk Duo had had with Relena must have gone better than he'd thought. He noticed both Heero and Relena were missing and assumed that they must be having a talk as well.
 
Duo looked up as Zechs and Walker approached. "A bit different to what he was a few days ago, isn't he?" Duo said as he wrote the last of the instructions on the bottle of penicillin.
 
"He's certainly made a remarkable recovery, Doctor Maxwell."
 
"I'm assuming Doctor Merquise has spoken to you about Peacemillion's care?"
 
"Yes, yes, he has."
 
"Good. Here's the drugs you will need. I've written the dosage on the bottle and it needs to be kept in the 'fridge. Ten ml twice a day, morning and night, given intramuscularly. There's enough there for the next five days and I've also put in enough needles and syringes to see you through. If you should find you need more for any reason then contact either Doctor Merquise or myself and we will supply you with them." Duo handed Walker a paper bag with the drugs and other necessities inside.
 
"Thank you, Doctor Maxwell." Walker took the offered bag from Duo and glanced inside. Scrunching the bag up, Walker turned his attention back to the braided man. "Doctor Maxwell, I wanted to thank you too for all you have done for Peacemillion. I know the circumstances were not what you would call ideal and I wouldn't have blamed you for refusing the use of your facilities and assistance in the operation. I don't know all that's going on between my boss and you guys, and frankly, I don't want to know. I'm just grateful you are a professional first and foremost and saw fit to treat Peacemillion." Walker lowered his eyes, he wasn't used to saying so much all at once.
 
Duo smiled and offered his hand, shaking Walker's. "It was my pleasure, Walker. It's why I became a vet after all, to treat those and help those that cannot help themselves. Regardless of any differences I may have with your boss, I cannot stand back and see an animal suffer when there is something I can do to help it."
 
Zechs looked up as Heero and Relena stepped out of the dispensary. Noting where Zechs' gaze had gone, Duo's followed the same direction and he gave a soft smile. Relena looked tired but relieved; Heero looked uncomfortable, but not homicidal. Duo guessed their talk must have gone okay.
 
"I suggest we get Peacemillion loaded on the float now, I'm sure you're anxious to get him home," said Zechs, breaking the silence.
 
"Right you are," said Walker. "I'll go get him then." Walker left to fetch the horse, Duo moved towards Heero while Zechs stepped to speak with Relena.
 
"You okay?" Duo asked as Zechs took Relena outside.
 
"Yeah. I'll tell you all about it afterwards, once everyone has gone."
 
"Okay." Duo left it at that and went to give Walker a hand with the horse float.
 
Five minutes later, Walker was disappearing down the driveway, Relena in the passenger seat and Peacemillion safely in the back. Out in the paddock, Zero gave a loud neigh, kinked his tail and snorted before pawing at the ground and tossing his head. Scythe continued grazing, Shini raised his head for a brief moment and then decided the grass was more interesting than his father's antics.
 
"I'll be going too," Zechs said as he turned from watching the disappearing car. "I've got a couple of cases to see before I finish up. Thank you again, Duo, for everything."
 
"My pleasure, Zechs."
 
As Zechs' car departed so a peaceful silence descended over the stables. "I think I need a coffee," said Duo.
 
"I could go one myself," replied Heero and took his lover's hand in his, leading them both to the house.
 
* * *
 
Sitting in the lounge room, coffees almost finished, Duo leaned back and thought about what had transpired earlier. Heero had related what Relena had told him and Duo reciprocated by informing Heero of what had occurred during his 'talk'. Both had pretty much the same information, Relena having told them both the same story, although her apology to Heero had been accepted while Duo had yet to grant that grace.
 
"Thought any more on the court case and the proposal?" Heero asked as he finished his coffee and set the mug down on the small table.
 
"A little," replied Duo and also set his mug down. He reached for Heero, drawing the rider into his arms and kissing him soundly.
 
Heero returned the kiss and then snuggled deeper into Duo's embrace. "Are you going to accept an out of court settlement? Or are you going to proceed with the case?"
 
"Given the circumstances and what her Pinkness has said today, I can see why she was so cruel and vindictive. It doesn't excuse her though and I still think she needs to be taught that she can't go around accusing innocent people."
 
"Then you are going to drag her through the court," Heero stated.
 
"No, Heero. No, I'm not. I'll take the offer of an out of court settlement on the condition that she leaves us alone."
 
"I think that's being very generous, Duo."
 
Duo sighed softly. "Heero, if I was to take her through the court I know I would win the case, she would be humiliated, embarrassed and suffer damage to her reputation. While that may make me feel better, it really doesn't solve anything, if anything I'm really no better than her for doing that. No, I think she realizes just how rotten she's been, plus all she's just discovered about her life wouldn't be easy to accept. I think she's been punished enough by having her life turned upside down."
 
Heero leaned up and gave his lover a warm, tender kiss. "You have a very big heart, Doctor Maxwell. Sometimes I think you're too kind and compassionate, but I understand your reasoning. I love you, Duo."
 
Duo blushed. "Awww, Heero." Rather than feel any more embarrassed, Duo proceeded to kiss Heero senseless. When they broke for air, both men were flushed and panting heavily.
 
"Want to show me just how compassionate you can be?" Heero asked, his tone husky as his hips rubbed against Duo's thigh.
 
"Why? Do you have something you need help with?" Duo returned, his voice innocent.
 
"I might." Heero pressed his groin harder against Duo's thigh.
 
"Mmm... I just might be able to help with that." Duo's hand slid down over Heero's arm and across his lover's hip to the front of Heero's jeans. Nimble fingers sought out the button and zipper, parting the cloth and then dipping inside to palm against the rising hardness.
 
"Ahhh... Nice," moaned Heero as his hips thrust lazily into the contact.
 
Chuckling lightly, Duo dipped his fingers beneath the elastic of Heero's briefs, tugging the material over the crown of Heero's erection. He slipped his hand under the fabric and ran his fingers over the thick shaft before curling them around and stroking lightly.
 
"More," Heero panted and wriggled a little.
 
Eager to comply, Duo shifted a little and brought his other hand around to push Heero's briefs further down and allow him easier access to the turgid flesh. Once he had freedom of movement, Duo began to stroke in earnest, determined to bring his lover off.
 
With each tug to his sensitive cock, Heero's hips thrust forth, seeking more stimulation. His breathing became rapid, heart pounding in his chest as Duo's hand brought him closer to completion. Feeling the rising tide of pleasure, Heero's eyes squeezed shut as his orgasm was drawn from him.
 
Duo continued to stroke, feeling Heero beginning to tense. He leaned close and kissed a spot just below Heero's ear and whispered, "Come for me, Heero."
 
A soft cry tore from Heero's throat as his balls constricted. Heat flared in his groin as his essence spurted from the small slit. The hand on his shaft continued to pump, slowly milking all his seed from inside. Only when the tremors had faded did that hand still. Heero collapsed against Duo's side, floating in the afterglow and enjoying every minute of it. As his senses came back on line he was aware of the sticky mess at his groin, and the rather large bulge in Duo's pants. With a wicked smirk, Heero slid out of Duo's arms and onto the floor. He settled between Duo's thighs and looked up. His blue eyes clouded with lust as he reached forth and released Duo's swollen cock from inside his pants and boxers.
 
"Oh, shit," groaned Duo as Heero's wet mouth encircled the head of his penis. His gaze connected with Heero's for a second and he had to close his eyes, the sight was simply too erotic. Heero's lips surrounding the head of his cock, the feel of that talented tongue stroking along his length and under the ridge of the crown driving all rational thought from his mind.
 
Heero began a series of licks and sucks along Duo's length. He loved the taste of the vet and would happily suck Duo any time the vet wanted him to. Opening his mouth wider, he drew the shaft deeper into his mouth until the head was pressing against the back of his throat and his nose was pressed into wiry, chestnut hair. The scent of Duo swam along his nerves, bathing him and increasing his own desire to please.
 
"Ah, yes. Good, Heero, so good," Duo moaned and let his head fall back against the couch. His legs opened a little wider, a hand snuck up to thread through chocolate locks and encourage Heero to continue.
 
Opening his throat, Heero swallowed Duo completely. He smiled to himself as he felt the shudder pass through his lover's body with the extra sensation. Heero's throat constricted in a series of swallows around the thick length of Duo and then Heero began to hum.
 
"Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" Duo cried out as his cock twitched and spasmed. The extra stimulation of Heero humming tipped him over the edge and into nirvana. Pleasure crashed over and through him, his hips jerked as he emptied his seed inside Heero's mouth and throat.
 
Once Duo's cock began to deflate, Heero let the organ slip from his mouth, licking gently and cleaning off any seed he may have missed. Once he was satisfied that his lover was clean, Heero shifted and pulled himself back to the couch, staring with a satisfied smile on his face at the sight of his boneless lover sprawled next to him.
 
Sanity returning, Duo managed to open his eyes and gaze at Heero. "Geeze, you sure know how to take away the tension, Heero," he managed to get out.
 
"Glad I could be of service." Heero leaned in and stole a kiss, encouraging Duo's tongue to play with his and taste himself.
 
Breaking apart, Duo continued to recline and then glanced at the clock. "As much as I'd love to stay here with you, I'm afraid I can't. Consults will be starting soon and I need to get cleaned up. So do you," he added and snickered.
 
Heero looked down at his soiled jeans. "Guess I'd better change and see if I can convince Gertrude to do a load of washing."
 
Duo laughed and stood up, tucking himself away as he did so. He reached a hand to Heero and pulled his boyfriend to his feet, then turned and went to the bedroom to change.
 
* * *
 
Duo hummed to himself as he waited for the call to connect, eyes flicking through the appointment book for that day. The call connected and Duo quickly averted his attention.
 
"Gordon and Klink. How can I help you?"
 
"Good morning, it's Doctor Duo Maxwell here. I wonder if I could have a word with Mr Klink please."
 
"One moment and I'll see if he's free."
 
Duo waited for a moment.
 
"I'm putting you through now, Doctor Maxwell."
 
"Thank you."
 
"Klink here, Doctor Maxwell. How can I help?"
 
"Mr Klink, I'm calling in regards to the court case due to be heard next week. I've done some thinking on the offer of an out of court settlement."
 
"Ah. Have you made a decision?"
 
"Yes, I have. I've decided to accept the offer and not pursue the charges."
 
"I see."
 
"There is a condition to accepting the settlement though. I will accept the offer on the condition that Miss Peacecraft leaves both myself and Heero alone. Should she break that condition then I will have no choice but to resume legal action against her."
 
"Very well, Doctor Maxwell. I agree with you, it would be best to take the offered settlement, but with the condition you have stated. Look, I'll get right onto drawing up a document to that effect and fax it through to you for your approval. If you agree with the document I'll contact Randall and let him know. It's then up to him to get his client to agree and sign the document. If she does I'll contact you so we can arrange a meeting between ourselves and the defendant to sign the papers and receive the settlement."
 
"Thank you, Mr Klink. I'll await the document then."
 
"No problem, Doctor Maxwell. I'll be in touch."
 
Duo hung up the 'phone feeling a lot better than he had over the past few days. He scanned the book again and noted it was almost full. He smiled to himself, business was still going pretty well despite all the recent events. Donning his white coat, Duo went through to the consulting room to prepare for the morning consults.
 
* * *
 
"Peacecraft Stud."
 
"May I speak with Miss Peacecraft, please? It's Mr Randall, her solicitor, here."
 
"Of course, Mr Randall. One moment, please, I'll just get her for you." Dorothy placed the receiver on the table and went in search of her mistress. She found her in the study. "Mr Randall is on the 'phone for you, Miss Relena."
 
"Thank you, Dorothy. I'll take it in here." Relena turned and picked up the 'phone on her desk, Dorothy returned to the parlor and hung up the other receiver.
 
"Mr Randall? It's Relena Peacecraft."
 
"Ah, Miss Peacecraft. I trust you are well?"
 
"Yes, thank you. I take it you have some news for me?"
 
"Yes, I do. I've received a document from Mr Klink, Doctor Maxwell's solicitor..." Randall went on to explain what the document said, outlining the conditions to accepting the offer of an out of court settlement.
 
Relena listened intently, taking in all that Randall said. While she had to admit she was disappointed that Doctor Maxwell had stipulated she leave him and Heero alone, she really couldn't blame him. A tiny part of her had hoped they may have become friends. Not wanting to dwell any further on miserable thoughts, Relena began to ask a couple of questions of her own.
 
After discussing the proposed document thoroughly and hearing Randall's thoughts on the matter, Relena agreed to sign.
 
"I'll let Klink know and then we can arrange a place and time suitable to both parties for you to sign the document."
 
"Thank you, Mr Randall."
 
"My pleasure, Miss Peacecraft, I'll be in touch."
 
Relena returned the 'phone to its cradle and got on with the paperwork she'd been doing before the call.
 
* * *
 
Three days later, Duo, Heero, Relena and Mr Randall met at the offices of Gordon and Klink to sign the document. All reread the document before agreeing again and then signing in the appropriate places. Relena was very polite and avoided discussing anything not related directly to the business they were there to conduct, something both Heero and Duo were grateful for. It was uncomfortable enough without any further stress being added.
 
Once all was signed, Randall and Klink shook hands, as did Duo and Heero with both solicitors. Relena also offered her hand, Klink shaking it and followed by Heero. When Duo stepped forward to shake Relena's hand, the woman gave him a sad smile.
 
"I really am sorry, Doctor Maxwell, for all the trouble I've caused you. I do intend to try and change my ways, it won't be easy but I am trying. I hope that someday you will be able to forgive me for my stupidity and silly mistakes."
 
Duo gave a sigh, he couldn't help himself. His kind heart won him over and he offered a soft smile in return. "I'm sorry things went this way and turned out like they did. I think if maybe we had all met under different circumstances we may have been friends. I realize you have had a major upheaval in your life and I think you're coping well with that. You showed a lot of courage admitting your mistakes and offering an apology. I didn't accept it at the time, but I've done some thinking since then and I'm willing to accept your apology now."
 
Relena's eyes gave a small spark. "Thank you. I appreciate that. It means a lot to me. Now, I really should be going. Good luck to you, Doctor Maxwell."
 
"Thank you. Good luck to you too."
 
Heero stepped up to see what was taking his boyfriend so long and caught the tail end of the conversation. He quirked an eyebrow at Duo but then switched his attention to Relena as the woman spoke.
 
"I hear you're on the short list for the Nations Cup team?"
 
"Yes, I am."
 
"Then I wish you success. I hope you are selected to represent the country. You're a top rider, Heero, and if you ever find yourself needing a good horse, feel free to call me and if I've got anything suitable in the stables, it's yours to ride."
 
Heero looked totally dumbfounded; Duo wasn't much better.
 
"Call it my way of trying to make up for the wrongs I've caused. Good day, gentlemen." Turning, Relena left.
 
Duo and Heero simply stared after the woman.
 
"Well, I'll be," said Heero.
 
"Well, shit." Duo rubbed the back of his neck.
 
Mr Klink cleared his throat behind them. "Doctor Maxwell, I need you to sign a release form, please."
 
"Uh?" Duo turned around to see the solicitor standing behind him an amused smile on his face. "A release form? What for?"
 
"In case you had forgotten, there's the small matter of a certain sum of money being paid in compensation to you. It's currently sitting in the company's bank account and I need your signature to release those funds into your account."
 
"Oh, yeah," Duo grinned. "I'd forgotten about that."
 
Heero tagged along behind Duo as they stepped into the office once more and watched as Duo signed the papers.
 
"Thank you, Doctor Maxwell. The funds will be transferred into your account this afternoon."
 
"Thank you, Mr Klink. You'll send me your account?"
 
"Of course. Good bye, gentlemen, and if there is anything I can help you with in the future, please call me."
 
"We will," replied Duo and headed out the office, Heero right beside him. Stepping out into the bright sunshine, Duo glanced at his watch. "It's almost lunchtime, fancy grabbing a bite to eat in town to celebrate before we head back to the practice?"
 
"I'd love to, Duo." It wasn't often the pair of them got to enjoy a simple pleasure such as eating out. The erratic hours Duo worked as well as Heero's busy schedule didn't allow for such frivolities and Heero wasn't about to turn down the opportunity to enjoy a quiet meal with his lover.
 
"Great!" Duo led them down a couple of streets and then stopped outside a small tavern. "They do a nice lunch here and the place is usually fairly quiet too."
 
Heero followed Duo inside and his eyes lit up. The place was small and yet cozy, a few patrons were scattered along the bar with one or two at tables. Duo took them over to the bar where a blackboard sat announcing the meals available for lunch. Heero's eyes skimmed over it.
 
"What do you fancy, Heero?"
 
"I'll try the farmhouse pie," Heero replied.
 
"One farmhouse pie and one chicken hot pot, please." Duo ordered their lunch and then got them a couple of beers, carrying the beers over to a table and sitting down. Heero sat opposite and took his offered beer "A toast," said Duo softly. "To the future."
 
"To the future," echoed Heero and touched his glass to Duo's. The beer was cold and slightly bitter, but no less refreshing. Heero couldn't help but note the spark in Duo's eye. He knew Duo had every reason to be happy and celebrate, but he couldn't help feeling he was missing something. Then it dawned on him. The release papers Duo had signed for the compensation. "Duo?"
 
"Yes, Heero?"
 
"I have the distinct feeling we are celebrating more than just a win over Relena."
 
"Smart boy," Duo snickered. He was almost bouncing out of his seat.
 
"Care to tell me what else we are celebrating?"
 
Duo grinned. "By this time tomorrow, Heero, you should be looking at the owner of the Maxwell Veterinary Practice."
 
"Huh?" Heero wasn't sure he understood. "But you're already the owner."
 
"Actually, I'm only the owner of the business name; the bank is the owner of all the property and assets, or at least they will be until this time tomorrow."
 
"You mean?"
 
"Yup. Tomorrow I will pay off the mortgage, Heero. The property, business, assets, everything will be completely mine." Duo's grin almost split his face in two.
 
"If you don't mind me asking; just how much did you get in that settlement?"
 
"Two hundred and twenty five thousand."
 
Heero promptly choked on his beer. Once he'd managed to calm himself and locate his voice he faced his lover, eyes wide. "Well, shit!"
 
Duo continued to grin. "I can't tell you how good that will feel to walk into the bank tomorrow and pay off that mortgage."
 
"Looks like Relena had her uses after all then," Heero smiled.
 
"Yup. Best apology I ever got," snickered Duo.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....