Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Words of the Heart ❯ Part Ten: Right ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Ten: Right
Summary: Sometimes, the hardest thing and the right thing are the same. Heero needs to make a tough decision and starts again with a new mission.
 
Right
 
I must have been staring at the open Word Document on my computer for nearly ten minutes before Quatre threw a rolled up napkin at my head. I closed down the window but the blond hadn't been a Gundam Pilot for no reason.
“I'm going to assume that a request for an undetermined amount of vacation time means you've discovered Duo's whereabouts.”
I grunted. A very useful, noncommittal noise that doesn't get me in much trouble. Quatre was unmoved.
“You're going to visit him then?”
I snorted. “No, I'm asking for this vacation time to take a nice, relaxing break on a beach on Maui.”
The blond billionaire was quiet for a moment, walking around to sit in the seat in front of my desk. His hands came together in rest under his chin in a very deceivingly innocent pose before he spoke.
“As a good friend to both Duo and yourself, I really should give him some warning of your imminent visit.”
I froze, ice claiming my veins. “Don't! He'll run.”
“Isn't that his choice?”
I growled angrily. “I deserve the chance to explain at least.”
The innocence faded from Quatre's face, quickly replaced by hard fury. I jerked back a bit when he slammed a hand down on the desk. “Explain?! Explain what, Heero? Why you hurt him? Why you kept him on this twisted little string, swinging back and forth between love and complete rejection?!”
I shook my head frantically. “It'll be different this time-“
“Why?” Quatre cut in harshly. “What can you possibly offer him that will be any different from how it's been? What will happen after you've talked your way out of this mess?”
“He'll come home.” I said feebly. I wasn't feeling as confident about this as I'd been just moments before. “I love him, Quatre and he loves me. We belong together.”
“Until the next terrorist cell comes along, right Heero?” The glint in my friend's eye was cold disdain. “You go to him like this, with nothing to offer and Duo will never take you back. Not if you're still choosing the job over him.”
What Quatre wasn't saying hit me like a brick between the eyes. I couldn't help but gap at him in shock. “I can't just quit. I have obligations here and- and they need me.”
“Heero,” He said with a sad smile. “The Preventers are not what they used to be. There are more than enough agents these days. They don't specifically need you.” Softer he added, “The world will not fall apart if you aren't there to guard it. You've done your part.”
Something shifted in me and that chip I had been unknowingly carrying fell away. The fate of the world had fallen from my shoulders to land safely onto the steady foundation of many. But to just quit…….. To just leave peace in someone else's hands….
Quatre's voice interrupted my inner musings.
“Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.” He shook his head. “It's you're decision now, but just know that if things haven't changed, next time I won't hesitate to hide Duo and you will never find him again.”
I fought the urge to hit something at my friend's threat, clenching my fists in my seat as he left. It was hard but one didn't go around hitting one's friends, even when they irritated you. It wasn't right.
Right…..I highlighted my typing, hit the backspace and with a deep breath, began a letter of resignation.