InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Code Pink ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'd like to thank Ithilwen for all her help.

FF.net

Katy: Yes, Code Pink is the real hospital code for a baby abduction. I work in a hospital and I got the inspiration when they were orienting me to all the codes and what not.

Porifra: I know who did it! I know who did it!

KClark: I'm glad you like it. But if you were so sure, why'd you read it?

Squeakyinuears: Hello again. I guess I really didn't make it clear. Miroku was already gone by the time Takara was taken. But logically if the ruler and his wife are having a baby then the whole building is probably under tight security, and Miroku being one of Inuyasha's top people probably doesn't have time to waste. Now Inuyasha himself was probably a little at fault for not placing guards around his daughter, but his mind was elsewhere. As far as Inuyasha being a full demon, he needs to be for the purposes of this story, but he still looks the same so no worries.

LilacRose23: LOL! I don't remember the raven ever saying that.

Minako-chan4: This is an AU fic, and I never really gave the land a name.

Del_kaidin: Awww, it wouldn't be any fun if I posted them all at once, I like to keep you in suspense.

RiverStar3: No it isn't. I love your stories by the way.

MM.org

Silver Talons: Yes, Inuyasha is a full demon for the purposes of this fic. Takara means treasure

Applejacks: Thanks, that means a lot coming from you.

To all my other wonderful reviewers: Thank you!

Code Pink

Chapter 2

The sound of Inuyasha's voice literally shook the building. The unfortunate doctor who had delivered the message to the demon lord was pinned to the wall, a single clawed hand at his throat. His clipboard had clattered to the floor and all the color had drained from his face. He stared wide-eyed at the demon lord who seemed ready to vent his rage. Inuyasha growled deep in his chest, ground his teeth, and lay back his ears.

"What do you mean my daughter has been kidnapped?" His voice was low and dangerous. Any color that remained in the doctor's face vanished.

"Someone took her Sir." He doctor whimpered. "The whole staff is looking for her as we speak my Lord." Inuyasha growled again before dropping the man to the ground. The doctor didn't hesitate to put some distance between the irate demon and himself. "SANGO! SHIPPOU! MIROKU!" Inuyasha roared. The three retainers came flying down the hall as fast as their feet could carry them. They had heard the roar from some distance away and were already on their way when he called for them.

"What is it Lord Inuyasha?" Sango asked as they came to a skidding stop before their leader.

"Takara has been kidnapped! Miroku shut down this building; No one, I mean No one leaves. Sango, close off all exits to the city; boats, trains, and airports included. Shippou," He turned to his youngest adviser, the 16-year-old kitsune, "Do what you do best."

"Yes Lord!" The three responded smartly. They had just turned to leave when…

"One more thing: I want the one responsible alive… so I can kill them myself." They all nodded and left. Taking a slow deep breath to calm himself, Inuyasha reentered the room. Kagome lay fast asleep and completely oblivious to what had just happened. Inuyasha made a face; perhaps she had experienced enough of his tirades to not be affected, or she was really tired. As he took up his seat next to her again he remembered the first time they'd met.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Tell me again why I have to do this." Inuyasha sighed. Miroku frowned at him from across the limo.

"Because, Inuyasha, they have been loyal to your family for many generations and visiting their shrine will show your appreciation. Not to mention the fact that your father ordered you to."

"Why doesn't he visit the shrine if it's so important?" The demon prince whined.

"Because he had other affairs to attend to." The monk answered in exasperation. "Look Inuyasha, it's one night, we're most of the way there and even if we weren't Lord Inutashi would make you go anyway; so why don't you just live with it?"

"Feh!"

"Good." Miroku smiled at his victory. Inuyasha snorted. The demon prince glared out the window of the limo at the passing scenery of his land. His family had ruled this land for as far back as anyone could remember, and probably before, but even in this modern age the monarchal system stayed strong. Where the system had failed in most parts of the world it was strong here. Sure there had been 'crusades' to "save the oppressed people from the demon king", but they always found the people happy. The standard of living was high, and at the moment most people could meet it. Even the most modest of homes had two beds and baths.

It took another half an hour before the limo pulled up in front of the shrine. Inuyasha looked out. Rising high onto the steep hill was a series of steps ending under a classic red gateway. Only the very tops of trees and the tips of tall buildings were visible from here.

"Relax." Miroku reassured, "Sango arrived ahead of us, so no one's going to be bothering you." Inuyasha snorted to as if to say he wasn't afraid of anything before climbing out of the limousine. He looked up at the high stairs leading to the shrine proper. With a shrug he leapt agilely to the top step. "What about me?" Miroku called indignantly from the bottom.

"You're getting a bit pudgy." Inuyasha replied with a smirk. Miroku snorted and began climbing the stairs, making sure to jingle his staff with every step. Inuyasha ignored him as he sauntered into the shrine.

At first glance it looked like any other shrine. The buildings were wood and the paths smooth square stone. A small mini shrine stood off to one side with a sign and some legend written on it. An elderly priest was sweeping a walkway on the far side and had yet to notice him. A slight breeze brought the most wonderful scent to his nose. He turned to see a large tree enclosed by a low fence. There was a small altar for those who wished to pray and a bench off to one side in the shade. On the bench was a girl.

She was beautiful. Her jet-black hair sparkled in the dappled sunlight coming through the branches of the tree. Her skin was a perfect cream. She was dressed in a pair of jeans and a green tank top. He felt the breath leave his chest in a deafening rush. Another gentle breeze caught her hair and tossed it about her face. She looked up to move her hair and he saw her eyes were a perfect sapphire blue. Her hand stopped halfway through the process of tucking her hair behind her ear. She blinked then smiled. He watched as she placed her work aside and stood up. As she started towards him he found his feet moving as well. They met halfway.

"Hello Lord Inuyasha. We are honored to have you visit our humble shrine." She said gently as she bowed at the waist.

"Yeah." He replied softly as if anything louder would scare her away.

"Can I show you around or get you something to make you more comfortable?"

"Around would be good." He replied again in the soft voice. She smiled brightly and his breath hitched.

"Then follow me my lord." She said and turned, heading back towards the large tree. He followed almost as if his feet had minds of their own. She stopped next to the bench and he looked down to see a pair of young boy's pants she had been mending. His heart sank. Of course a girl this beautiful would have been taken to wife the moment she was of age…He blinked. Why should he care if she was married and had a kid? It's not like he could have feelings for a human. Even if she was beautiful, graceful, and smelled like fresh Honeysuckles…he mentally kicked himself. She turned a smiled at him.

"This is the God Tree. It's support to be over 500 years old, dating back all the way to the feudal era. There's a story of a boy and a girl and the well over there," She pointed to the small mini shrine he had seen earlier, "is connected to it, but you'll have to ask my grandfather if you want to know it." She shook her head, "He tells lots of stories and I can't keep up with them all. I think most are just made up anyway."

"Oh." He replied as he looked up into the tree branches. He could feel the warmth of the sun on his face where it made it past the leaves. He mentally sighed, the girl was so beautiful and her name was so…what was her name? He flushed slightly as he realized he hadn't asked.

"Kagome! Kagome!" The shout of a young boy broke into his thoughts. Looking up Inuyasha saw a boy of about eight running up to them. The boy spotted the demon lord and came to a very abrupt stop, almost falling over as he tried to bow before he caught his balance. "Forgive my rudeness lord. I did not mean to interrupt." Inuyasha shrugged.

"What do you need Souta?" The girl asked.

"I wanted to know if you finished my pants?" The girl smiled and retrieved her work from the bench.

"Here you go, good as new. Try not to be so rough on them." The boy took then from her before throwing his arms around her waist in a fierce hug.

"Thanks sis! You're the best!" She smiled at him and wrapped a single arm around his shoulders. The edge of Inuyasha's mouth tugged up slightly. 'Her brother, not her son…'

"Your welcome. Now go play and stay out of trouble." The boy released her and ran off, "And try not to destroy those pants." She called after him. His only reply was to turn and waving back. She smiled softly a shook her head. "Sorry about that my Lord. Little brothers can be so… you know." She shrugged slightly.

"I'm the youngest." Inuyasha replied with a soft smile. She flushed with embarrassment.

"Oh yeah…"

"It's alright. You have a nice name Kagome."

"Thank you my Lord." She blushed again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ End Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inuyasha gently clasped her hand in his own. Kagome didn't stir. He was grateful for that. She'd want to see Takara as soon as she woke up, but he wasn't all that excited about telling her why she couldn't. His heart sank. He'd said he would protect their daughter and now she was gone. An involuntary growl rose in his throat. When he got his hands on the son of a bitch who took his little treasure he was going to…

The sound of the door opening cut off his thoughts. He turned to see Miroku slip silently into the room. He'd left his staff outside to keep quiet.

"The building is secure my Lord." He whispered from across the room, knowing perfectly well that the demon could hear him clearly. Inuyasha nodded.

"And the people in the nursery?"

"They were both unconscious. Some sort of gas we suspect. They and the other three infants in the nursery are under care. We wouldn't be able to question them until they wake." Inuyasha scowled. "It's the best we can do right now." Inuyasha sighed but nodded.

"Do you think…?" Inuyasha started but stopped when the monk raised his hand.

"Assumptions are a dangerous thing lord. If we make up our minds now, we may over look the evidence that will lead us to the answer."