InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Code Pink ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

FF.net

Onimusha: But of course, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Squeakyinuears: First you're welcome. Second, Inuyasha looks like regular Inuyasha. If you remember at the beginning of the story Kagome was looking up into gold eyes. I just changed him from a half to a full demon and that all. Don't worry, I know what's going to happen to Kag and Takara, but I'm not telling.

The Literary Dragon: Clues, huh. There are some clues in this chapter, nd you get them from an unexpected source.

Porifra: Ok, it's not who you think.

MM.org

Precious: Thanks for reading this. Don't worry, the story is mostly about the Inu gang.

Applejacks: Try not to make that list too restricted…

Code Pink

Chapter 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inuyasha had been back to the temple several times to see Kagome after the first meeting. For some reason he just couldn't get her out of his head. Every time he closed his eyes he would see that beautiful smiling face beaming back at him. It was depressing. He'd fallen head over heels for a girl he could never have. Her he was to arrange a marriage - and not with her. That was why he was here right now, sitting across from his father and next to his brother in a secluded meeting room. They were to discuss the wedding announcement. With a sigh he pushed Kagome from his mind.

"Now," Lord Inutashi began, "as both of you know, I will soon be announcing the wedding of Inuyasha to the Lady Rin. This wedding is very important, Inuyasha. It will unite the two kingdoms and make you and your brother very strong." Inuyasha nodded solemnly. "And of course at the same time I will announce Sesshoumaru as my successor." Sesshoumaru gave only the slightest of nods as he looked out the window. His face was away from the other two demons so his full reaction was impossible to gauge, not that it was ever easy to decipher in the first place. Miroku stood over to one side, his usual happy demeanor marred with a frown. The monk had been the one who caught Inuyasha on a number of occasions when he took a trip to the temple. If anyone had guessed what was going on it was Miroku.

"Good!" Inutashi exclaimed, completely oblivious to the fact both his sons were staring out opposite windows with far off looks, "Once the wedding is announced tomorrow was can begin planning. Your mother is very excited Inuyasha, she's been waiting years to do this. I bet…" he continued on talking to the two pair of deaf ears. Inuyasha frowned. He would have to go see Kagome one last time. After all the time he had spent with her, he needed to tell her this himself, not have her hear it in some proclamation. As his father rattled on he stood up and turned to leave, knowing full well that he wouldn't be stopped.

"Inuyasha." He stopped in surprise and looked back at the sound of Sesshoumaru's voice. Inutashi had stopped as well and he and the monk were looking at the older son. Sesshoumaru hadn't moved, in fact if Miroku and his father hadn't looked his brother's way as well he would have thought he was hearing things. Silence fell heavily over the room and remained for several minutes before Sesshoumaru spoke again. "I wish to propose a deal."

"Ok…" Inuyasha answered as he turned to face his brother. Still Sesshoumaru didn't move, content to stare out the window.

"I will marry the Lady Rin in your place if you will in turn be father's heir in mine." Inuyasha's first instinct was to jump at the chance, but his better judgement held his tongue. Sesshoumaru had flaunted the fact he was the heir for as long as Inuyasha could remember, if he was just going to give it up now there had to be a catch.

"Why?"

"Take it or leave it." Was the only reply he got. Inuyasha shifted his weight from one foot to the other. The deal definitely seem to favor him, not only would he be the heir to one of the most powerful kingdoms on the planet but he would be free to court Kagome. By why was still the question. Then something flashed through his mind, something that at the time had been so unimportant, he hadn't even thought of it since.

He had been standing on the balcony to his room looking off and thinking when a noise below drew his attention down. Standing in the moonlit garden below were Rin and Sesshoumaru. They were speaking in low voices and too far away for him to hear. Then Sesshoumaru lend forward and kissed her. Inuyasha knew he should have felt something. The three of them had known for many years that he would one day wed Rin and for his brother to kiss her would be considered criminal by most. And yet Inuyasha felt nothing; not rage, sadness, betrayal, or jealousy. He hadn't even felt indignation. When the two parted Rin ran off crying. Inuyasha had returned to his room and not thought of the event, or its significance since. Now he understood. His brother and his fiancée had fallen in love right under his nose.

"I'll take it." He replied firmly. Sesshoumaru turned to his brother for the first time, his usual expressionless face softened by an almost grateful look in his golden eyes.

"Then it is a deal."

"Can they do that?" Inutashi asked Miroku. All three demons were now looking at he monk. Miroku cleared his throat before speaking.

"I believe my lords that the exact wording of the contract stated that Rin should marry one son of this kingdom, but it never specified which." Both Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru looked relieved, but Inutashi frowned.

"Are you sure about this Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha? After the announcement is made it can not be taken back. Inuyasha will be my heir and Sesshoumaru will have to marry Lady Rin. You realize you are giving up a lot of power Sesshoumaru."

"Not everything is about power, father" The oldest son replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ End Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Lord Inuyasha." Miroku had come into the room for the second time in fifteen minute. The demon looked up and glared. Miroku was unimpressed. "Lord Sesshoumaru and Lady Rin have arrives and are waiting for you. Also Lord Naraku has requested a brief audience." Inuyasha grumbled under his breath before rising to his feet. He followed his adviser out of the room and down the hall. Miroku led him to a small waiting room. All around them he saw people being questioned and rooms being searched.

"Are the nurses awake yet?" He asked in a low voice.

"One is coming around, but she is still too disoriented to be of any good." Inuyasha growled, "I'll be questioning her personally, but it will be of no use if she can not remember. Such actions might only serve to confuse her more." Miroku soothed. Inuyasha's growls abated but not his frustration. In the small waiting room they found Sesshoumaru standing next to a worried looking Rin. Naraku, a mid-level lord of Inuyasha's court, stood looking out the window with his hands behind his back. As soon as he was in the room Rin had enveloped him a hug.

"Oh gods! Miroku told us what happened! Is Kagome ok? What do you need us to do?" Inuyasha gently pried the girl off him and passed her back to his brother, who looked a bit amused at the young woman's antics.

"Yes, well, Kagome is still asleep and so she doesn't know yet. As far as what you can do, at this point nothing. Until I know who is responsible and where my daughter is, there is little to be done. Miroku has closed down the hospital, Sango has closed off the city, and Shippou is… well you know." Sesshoumaru nodded, "However, once I know who is responsible I may need more troops then I have on hand."

"My army is yours to command brother." Sesshoumaru answered.

"Thank you. If you'll excuse me I have other business for which to attend," He glanced over to Naraku who was still politely ignoring the conversation, "and I'd like to be with Kagome when she wakes."

"Of course." Sesshoumaru agreed before escorting the still slightly hysterical Rin away. Once they were out of ear shot Inuyasha turned his attention to Naraku.

"You requested audience." It wasn't a question. Naraku turned from the window and crossed the room. When he stood only a few feet from the demon lord he bowed deeply at the waist.

"Yes, my lord, I did." He answered as he rose.

"Well as I'm sure you heard I'm a bit busy right now. So this better be important and quick."

"Yes my lord. As you know I am a hanyou myself. As such I am… aquatinted with a number of factions who would see such a child harmed. When I came to give my well wishes and learned what had transpired I thought you might make use of this knowledge." Inuyasha raised an eyebrow in interest.

"I'm listening."

"There are a number of groups who pride themselves on being pure, either demon or human. Most simply hold rallies, picket, and hand out pamphlets, but are relatively harmless. There are a few though that do go to extremes."

"What do they call themselves. Miroku write this down."

"The one that gives me the most trouble is 'The Pure Bloods'. They are an all demon group that has been around for a few years now. They, however, are going through a leadership change and loyalties are divided. I believe they would be hard pressed to do anything overly complicated at the moment. Then there is 'The Morality' an all human group. Bombs are more their style, but I wouldn't put anything past them. Finally there is 'The Bloodline', a mixed group of demons and humans. They are very new and trying to make a name for themselves."

"How do you know all this?" Inuyasha asked, his eyes narrowing. A smile tugged at the edge of Naraku's lips.

"I prefer to keep tabs on my enemies lord. So I subscribe to all their newsletters."

"Stay close. I may still need you." Inuyasha instructed.

"Yes Lord Inuyasha."