InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Emergence ❯ Mistakes We Made ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: Sorry it's a few days late, but the last two days were kind of hectic. The LEMON chapter will be up on Monday for those who are waiting for that. Anyway thank you to all who reviewed and I hope you enjoy this chapter. Feel free to review again...

~ * ~

Kagome woke up to a knock at her door. It opened slowly and InuYasha stepped inside. He smirked at her.

“What’s so funny?” She asked.

“Should I be worried?” He teased pointing at the stuffed dog she was holding against her chest.

Kagome blushed. “Maybe. At least Yasha-kun doesn’t wake me up just to make fun of me, and he doesn’t snore.”

“Oi. I don’t snore,” InuYasha protested. “And I didn’t wake you up to make fun of you. Your mother asked me to get you for breakfast.” He lifted his eyebrows and grinned. “Yasha-kun?”

Kagome giggled. “Yep. Now get out so I can get dressed.”

Kagome came down to breakfast a few minutes later only to find her grandfather waiting for her. He was very excited about something. “Kagome there is a man outside wanting a tour of the shrine from our miko. He is very well dressed. Go put on your robes and be polite. Perhaps he will offer a donation.”

“But you know I don’t-” Kagome began.

“Actually dear this past year you have started giving tours occasionally when you were home to help your grandfather.” Her mother cut in, turning from the stove.

“Oh...” Kagome replied. “I’ll go change then. Where are they?”

“In your closet dear. You chose blue rather than the traditional red.” Asami told her.

Breakfast was already on the table when Kagome came back downstairs. After being assured by her mother that her plate would be kept warm Kagome went out to meet the man that was waiting for her. They exchanged polite bows and the man offered her a business card.

“Taisho-san our shrine is one of the oldest in the city and has many legends attached to its history. Is there anything in particular that interests you?” Kagome asked.

“That tree must be extremely ancient. What can you tell me about its history?” Taisho-san queried.

Kagome led the way over to the sacred tree. “This tree is called the Goshinboku...”


InuYasha looked outside to see Kagome under the Goshinboku talking to a very tall man with long black hair. There was something familiar in the bearing of this man and InuYasha felt compelled to go outside and investigate. As soon as he stepped out the door he realized why this person seemed so familiar. That was a voice he would know anywhere. He raced to Kagome’s side and forced her behind him.

“InuYasha what-” Kagome tried.

“What the hell are you doing here?” InuYasha demanded with a short growl for emphasis.

“Now is that anyway to greet your older brother after nearly five centuries?” Sesshomaru asked dryly.

“Older brother?” Kagome gasped, peeking around InuYasha. “This is Sesshomaru, your full youkai brother?”

“That’s him. Now what the hell do you want?” InuYasha persisted.

“You should be grateful little brother. It was I who saw to it that this shrine was protected and for fifteen years I watched over your miko protecting her from harm until she was taken through the well and came under your care.” Sesshomaru explained.

“How do you know about the well?” Kagome questioned as she stepped up beside her hanyou.

“The monk revealed it’s secret to me when I came to your village to bring Rin so that she would be prepared when she entered her first cycle as a woman.” Sesshomaru told them. “I asked him about it when I was told of the reason for your absence.”

“I am going to kill that damn bouzo. He wasn’t supposed to tell anyone.” InuYasha growled.

“As for my purpose in this visit. I came to bring you this.” Sesshomaru said, holding out a large yellow envelope, which InuYasha took warily. “Contained within you will find all the necessary documents to acquire and identity in this time as well the information for an account containing funds I have kept in trust for you.”

“Why?” InuYasha asked as Kagome took the envelope from him and opened it.

“There is much I cannot tell you because it has yet to happen, but I can say this, we stood together to defeat Naraku, just one of the times you have proven yourself worthy of our father’s blood.” Sesshomaru offered. “No matter how long I live I will never have another brother. I must go, but know that when the time is right we will meet again.” Sesshomaru turned and walked away.

“Thank you.” Kagome called after him. He turned back giving a slight nod and continued on his way. “He gave you his last name. Taisho InuYasha.”

“Like oyaji. He was known as the Inu no Taisho.” InuYasha said quietly. “I wonder what all that cryptic shit was about. ‘There is much I cannot tell you’.” InuYasha snorted. “He’s still an arrogant bastard. Looks like five hundred years didn’t change that.”

“He did do you a favor though. Things will be easier now when we’re here since you have an identity now.” Kagome offered.

“Keh, I guess there is that.” He conceded reluctantly.

They went back inside and ate breakfast and filled her mother in on the identity of the shrine visitor. When Kagome went to change clothes, InuYasha did as well. They were going back to the past and he was going to have a little chat with the lech about running his mouth, preferably away from Kagome so that she couldn’t save the stupid bouzo.


While the two were gone Asami took it upon herself to go through all the papers in the envelope so that she could see if they were lacking anything and if they needed to do anything to make InuYasha’s identity official. When she got to the bank statement the paper fell out of her hand.

While she had never doubted that the young hanyou would do whatever it took to care and provide for her daughter, she did worry, since he had no formal education or experience, but she didn’t have to worry anymore. If the information was correct InuYasha was a very wealthy young man.

Asami quickly put the papers away. Now wasn’t the time for them to be concerned with that since they still had to return to the past to finish their quest. When it came time for them to chose which time to settle down in then it would be relevant.

“So mama, does he have everything he needs?” Kagome asked as she returned to the kitchen with InuYasha a few steps behind her.

“Everything seems to be in order.” she replied. “I’ll keep these in a safe place for you both until you have finished your quest, since you won’t really need then until then anyway.”

“Thank you Asami-san.” InuYasha told her.

“You’re very welcome.” Asami said. “I take it from your clothing you will be returning to the past today.”

“Yeah, I need to have a talk with a certain monk.” InuYasha replied. “You ready to go Kagome?”

His beautiful miko nodded and they headed for the well house.

~ * ~

Once they were back in the Feudal Era and headed for the village Kagome felt the need to speak. “You aren’t going to be too hard on Miroku are you? It actually helped you that Sesshomaru found out.”

“That ain’t the point.” InuYasha told her. “He wasn’t supposed to tell anyone. Maybe if I crack him in that thick skull of his a few times he’ll remember that.”

“Still... I think once should be enough.” Kagome reasoned. “Sango probably wouldn’t appreciate it if you permanently damaged her soon to be husband. Then she might come after you with her hiraikotsu and I like you the way you are, whole, not split in two.”

InuYasha chuckled. “Okay, I’ll only hit him once, but just for you.”


They arrived at Kaede’s hut to find the elderly miko heading out to attend a village woman due to give birth. She informed them that Sango was down at the river aiding her by doing the washing, that Shippou was off playing with Kirara, and that Miroku was supposed to be near the waterfall outside the village meditating.

They found Sango easily and Kagome decided to remain with her to help her wash the clothing and cloth Kaede used for bandages, while InuYasha went to see Miroku.


The unsuspecting monk was found under the waterfall wearing his white undergarments. InuYasha jumped up onto the nearest outcropping and grabbed Miroku tossing him into the pool below. He jumped down and waited on the bank for the bouzo to surface.

Miroku broke the surface sputtering and glared at the hanyou. He made his way to the shore and exited the water. “Tell me InuYasha why you felt the need to interrupt my meditation, and in such a rude way.”

“I don’t know. Why don’t you tell me why in the hell you told my bastard of a brother about the well?” InuYasha replied, a challenge clearly stated in his tone.

Miroku swallowed hard. “Um... Where is the lovely Kagome? Perhaps we should discuss this while she is present.”

InuYasha snorted. “Kagome ain’t going to save you this time. I warned you all what I would do if you told anyone about the well.”

Miroku put his hands up and stepped back. “Now wait a moment InuYasha. Sesshomaru asked me why yours and Kagome’s scent always vanished into the well. He demanded I tell him. I tried to be as vague as possible.”

“You got lucky monk, because Sesshomaru came to the shrine to help me, and because Kagome convinced me that hitting you once would be enough.” InuYasha told him. “If he had come to fight you’d be dead.”

“Surely violence won’t be necessary.” Miroku tried.

InuYasha just smirked and used his hanyou speed to get around behind the lecherous houshi. He brought his fist down giving the monk a fresh lump on his head.

Miroku frowned and rubbed his head from his place on the ground. “That hurt.” He muttered.

“That’s less than you deserved bouzo.” InuYasha called as he headed back to where he had left Kagome.


He found her with Sango carrying the now clean laundry back to Kaede’s, where they would hang it to dry.
“Did you find Miroku?” Kagome asked.

“Yeah.” InuYasha replied.

“You didn’t hurt him did you?” Kagome pressed.

“Keh, no, even though I wanted to.” InuYasha offered. “I didn’t even knock him out, but he still whined about it. You’d think he’d be used to it by now as many times as Sango has hit him for touching her.”

“Why did you hit him?” Sango asked, knowing that Miroku must have done something for InuYasha to seek him out just to put a lump on his head. She loved her houshi-sama, but knew all too well that he could be a taxing man.

“For telling Sesshomaru about the well.” Kagome explained with a smile as InuYasha slipped his hand into hers. “He came by the shrine this morning.”

“In that case thank for going easy on him.” Sango said. “I’ll admit I had feared that I would no longer have becoming his wife to look forward to when you found out.”

“Keh, you should thank Kagome.” InuYasha told her. “She didn’t want you coming after me with Hiraikotsu if I did too much damage so she convinced me only to hit him once. So, has there been any word?”

Sango shook her head. “We haven’t heard anything that might lead us to the last shard. There hasn’t even been any reports of youkai attacks, at least not in any neighboring villages.”

~ * ~

They spent the rest of the day in the Feudal Era. Kagome stayed in the village to help Sango and Kaede, and to play with Shippou. InuYasha used the time to work off some pent up energy and to clear the surrounding forest of any youkai that might be trying to move in on his territory.

They ate dinner as a group. Kagome hadn’t brought any supplies or even a change of clothing, and with no new rumors to pursue, InuYasha decided it would be best to return to her family’s home for the night. Of course that wasn’t his only motivation. He wanted to spend some time alone with Kagome, in which he could be free to kiss her and hold her without anyone looking on.

They said their goodbyes and InuYasha took her hand as they headed into the forest. Kagome stopped in front of the well. InuYasha was standing in front of her and a strange sense of deja vu washed over her, a pair of voices echoed in her mind.

“Please InuYasha. I won’t be gone long. I really need to study. I don’t want to say the word. I hate it when you make me say it. I promise just two days. We’re friends don’t you-”

“We ain’t friends bitch, and I ain’t letting my shard detector run off all the time. We have work to do.”

“I may not be your friend, but you’re my best friend and I l-”

“Whatever, like I care, wench you still ain’t going.”.

“OSUWARI.”

Tears welled up in her eyes and streamed down her cheeks. That was the day... I still don’t remember what happened, but somehow I know that was the day I was hurt. The things he said... Kami it hurts so much...Why would he say such hurtful things?

“Kagome, what’s wrong?” InuYasha asked urgently as she continued to sob.

She made no notice of him though. I knew... I knew he would never love me, that I didn’t belong in his world...Oh Kami it hurts... I-I-can’t breathe- it feels like my heart has been torn from my chest... Why did I have to remember? He...He didn’t love me and if he did then why?

“Why? Why?” Kagome demanded, through her tears. “I don’t understand.”

InuYasha grabbed Kagome and pulled her against him. “Why what?” He asked. “Talk to me Kagome. Tell me what you need me to do.”

She tore free from his grasp and retreated as he walked toward her. “You said we weren’t friends, that I was just your shard detector. You said you didn’t care that you were my best friend. You knew I was going to tell you I loved you and you didn’t care. Why? Why would you say that to me if it wasn’t true?”

InuYasha stopped in his pursuit of her and hung his head. His claws dug into his palms knowing that he was responsible for her tears, for her pain, that if she hated him now it would be no less than he deserved. “I’m sorry.”

“Won’t you tell me? Won’t you tell me why you said those hurtful things, if they weren’t true, if you really do love me?” She asked.

InuYasha knew at the very least she deserved an explanation. “Like I said before, I thought I was protecting you. There was a village... I didn’t mean to let you ride on back where people would see you, but having you so close was distracting. You couldn’t hear them, but I could. All the terrible things they said about you. I even had to stop a group of men from coming after the youkai’s whore while you bathed... I saw how my mother was forced to live and how she died because of me. I couldn’t do that to you and I couldn’t tell you why either, so I pushed you away.”

Her tears had slowed and her pain had eased at hearing his dejected tone. “Why couldn’t you tell me?”

“Because you would have said it didn’t matter, that you didn’t care and I would have let myself believe you rather than let you go.” InuYasha replied softly. “If I would have known... Fuck Kagome I never meant for you to get hurt. You have to believe me.”

“I believe you.” She told him. “If that was how you felt, that you had to protect me, then what changed?”

“When I heard that you almost died it was like the whole fucking world stopped.” He said. “It.. It was like someone had plunged a sword right through my heart. I didn’t want to believe...And I knew it was my fault. I nearly lost my fucking mind waiting, not knowing if you were getting better or if you had died. I even hurt Shippou because without you everything just sort of fell apart.”

"Then Miroku told me he could make me a spell, so that I would look like a human. If I looked human it wouldn’t matter where I lived. I would fit in and I could be with you and not have to worry about you getting hurt because of me. I swore to myself and to the Kami if they let you live, if they let you come back to me I would do everything I could to let you know what you mean to me. If you can’t forgive me I’ll understand.”

Kagome stepped forward and wrapped her arms around his waist. She heard him whine softly as he held her. Just as she had known from the moment of their first kiss, she could forgive him anything. Kagome knew he was genuinely sorry and that he had truly believed he was protecting her.

“I forgive you.” She said quietly.

InuYasha released her and took her face in his hands. She allowed him to kiss her once gently before pulling away. He looked at her with confused, hurt filled eyes. “Kagome?”

“I forgive you and I love you but it still hurts... It hurts a lot and I need some time, alone, to think and to move past this.” She told him. “Do you understand?”

“You... Will you come back?” InuYasha asked hesitantly. “If I stay here will you come back?”

“I promise to come back.” Kagome assured him, hugging his waist tightly. “Nothing has changed. I still want us to be together, okay?”

InuYasha could only nod and hug her back. No matter how much he would miss her, he would give her this. He would wait for her to come back to him and tell him she was ready to move forward. It was the least he could do after the hurt he had caused her.

Kagome raised herself up onto her toes and kissed his cheek to reassure him, since he looked so sad. “I’ll see you again soon. I love you.”

InuYasha watched her drop into the well and disappear as she was engulfed in blue light. He panicked as soon as her scent disappeared and he jumped into the well. What if something happened to her and he hadn’t said it? What if this was the last time he would see her and he hadn’t told her that he loved her back.

Kagome was halfway up the ladder when she felt the time slip open. She looked down to see InuYasha. “InuYasha what-”

“I had to tell you, just in case...” He interrupted “I love you.” His cheeks pinked and he looked at the ground. “I needed you to-”

This time Kagome interrupted him. “I understand. Thank you InuYasha.”

With that he jumped and then she watched as he traveled back through the well into the past.


Kagome was thankful that her mother didn’t see her come in, since she would no doubt want to know why InuYasha wasn’t with her. It wasn’t that she was upset with InuYasha or that she didn’t want to be with him. She just needed some time to herself and time to reconcile her new feelings with those from her memory.

There could be no doubt that InuYasha loved her. Since she had woken up in the hospital he had proved it to her in a hundred ways every single day She just wished she had some memories that offered her something, anything that she could use to tell herself that he loved her before she was hurt, that it was more than guilt that made him realize his feelings for her. Guilt had bound him to Kikyou and she didn’t want that to be a part of why they were together.

The more she thought about it the more she realized that deep down she didn’t want to remember. She had been told about their fights and he had admitted that he hadn’t been very nice a lot of the time. If her memories were anything like the one she had today, she hoped she never remembered. It hurt too much and she was afraid of that pain, afraid that it would change things between them.

The memory of her father had come to aid in her in remembering her family because it had been what she wanted. She wondered if that meant she would never remember InuYasha and her adventures in the past because she didn’t really want to.