InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Ways ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(What do you readers think so far? Thank you Nikoyasha-chan for reviewing! I appreciate it!)

Chapter Four:

"There!" Kagome said triumphantly with a hint of frustration in her voice as she tied the last of Sesshomaru's bandages. It had taken an entire hour because of how proud and rude he was being. The job became much simpler when he over exerted himself and lost a lot of blood again, his head falling back against the wall he was propped up against in unconsciousness. One thing was certain. He was going to be angry that a human helped him when he woke up…

"Kagome? I'm really sorry `bout that. It were all my fault that he were woken up. You got hurt too `cuz of it," Kyoko apologized, taking a clean cloth from Kagome's first-aid kit and pressed it to her arm where Sesshomaru had scratched her (in his own rage. It was unintentional but he claimed it was on purpose ;P).

"That's all right, Kyoko-chan. I'll be fine," She replied with an exhausted smile but then she looked at her clothes. "Ewww! What a bloody mess!"

"Let's go and wash up, Kagome-chan," Sango suggested, getting up and helping Kagome and Kyoko to get to their feet. Miroku grinned and was about to say something when Sango percepted this and cut him off. "Shippo, please make sure that houshi-sama and Inuyasha won't be Peeping Tom's," she finished.

"Why the hell would I want to watch any of you bathe?" Inuyasha snorted. "Believe me I'm FAR from tempted."

"Oh come now Inuyasha. Are you bli-I- I fully agree with you Inuyasha," Miroku stuttered at seeing three pairs of dark eyes narrow in anger at the words he was about to speak before he caught himself.

"I'll make sure Sango. Both Kirara and me!" The little kitsune proclaimed and stared over at Miroku and Inuyasha who was already looking pissed off. With that, the three young women left, a monk, a hanyou, a kitsune and neko youkai and an unconscious taiyoukai remaining in the wake of the cave.

Inuyasha stood up and went to the mouth of the cave to exit when he felt something gnawing on his shoulder. "Shippo! What the hell are you-"

"You're not supposed to go peeping!" The young fox boy barked, releasing his grip on the older and bigger youkai's shoulder.

"I'm NOT going to peep! Just leave me the hell alone!" Inuyasha roared and stomped away from the mouth of the cave, disappearing into the branches of a tree. Stupid Kagome… he thought angrily, his brow furrowing in his anxiety.

~*~

"I must say that was very brave of you, Kagome-chan and you never wavered once," Sango said as she massaged some of Kagome's shampoo into her long ebony hair. Kyoko stared at the liquid in her palm, wondering what it was and smelled and then tried to taste it before Kagome stopped her.

"It certainly were brave! That youkai was gonna kill `ya but you kept him from doin' it. I can see how he and Inuyasha `r alike. They both got foul tempers," Kyoko added as Sango lathered the shampoo in her hair as well because she just could not understand how the strange substance was to go into her hair.

"Well, it's not so much foul tempers as it is pride," Kagome said but stopped when she realized what she had stated. Sango and Kyoko both gave her blank stares. "Ok… Maybe it's both… But Inuyasha is just stupid. I mean, he couldn't trust me to keep Sesshomaru under control-"

"Kagome-chan, Sesshomaru was in the cave wasn't he?" Sango asked. She observed Inuyasha's behavior ever since he and Kagome had returned with the unconscious demon lord and Kagome had been oblivious.

"Well yeah, but-"

"And Inuyasha was quiet after a while, wasn't he?"

"Yes…" Kagome replied trying to fit the pieces together. What was Sango getting at? Inuyasha helped her carry Sesshomaru back to the cave and then when she had assured him she would be fine he backed off. A blush rose to the high school girl's cheeks. "I-Inuyasha…" she whispered, feeling warm all of a sudden.

Sango smiled lightly at her friend who was unaware of the feelings that she and the hanyou shared. "He was very worried about you, Kagome-chan…"

Kagome bit her lower lip, the redness of her face consuming her. Kyoko giggled a little bit. "Awwww, ain't that sweet?" She laughed quietly a bit more as she and Sango watched as Kagome exited the water, dried herself and then stepped into a clean school uniform that she had brought with her while the other was drying. "She's goin' to find Inuyasha, ain't she?"

"Yes," Sango replied with a sadness flowing through her eyes. "He cares for her so much and she for him… Sometimes I just envy them. They can treat each other so badly and take what they have for granted sometimes but then there is me… I shall never find love. I mean, who would ever love a scarred-up, eighteen year old tajiya like me?"

Kyoko's eyes softened and her face melted solemnly. "I'm sure you'll find somebody. He's prolay right under yer nose, Sango. Wud about that houshi, Miroku? He seems interested in `ya," the young woman replied trying to console the demon slayer. Sango burst into a fit of giggles. "What? What's so funny? I wuz bein' serious!"

"Oh, it's nothing like that. He acts that way to most women. I just do not see Miroku as someone who would be willing to give up his devious acts and come clean. He probably would if he loved someone enough, but it's not likely," Sango replied, running her fingers along the scar on her back. Kyoko looked the repaired flesh over and made a small face of unspoken pity.

"Well, `ya speak as though yer all set to wait fer him to change," Kyoko said after a pregnant silence. Sango looked up with warm cheeks and she started to splutter about how that would be impossible. "Well, aw-right then. I don't wanna hear no more about `ya never gettin' love. You ain't scarred, not in my eyes. I think yer beautiful and you've gotta strong will. Any man who don't love you for it is a blind bastard who don't deserve `ya," Kyoko finished and exited the water, redressing herself.

"Well, thank you for thinking so Kyoko-chan," Sango whispered as she also followed and dressed.

"I know fer a fact that I ain't the only one who thinks it. Now, take a gander at me! I ain't watcha call civilized. Growin' up as a slave ain't exactly the best way for a girl to get beauty, that's fer sure. But, now that I'm grown and strong `nough I'm here and ready to start life. I want love, jus' like anyone else but me, I ain't gonna get it. There ain't no one in this world that can keep me under control," Kyoko said to Sango as they walked back to the cave. Sadness passed through her own eyes.

"You were a slave? How did you all of a sudden become free-"

"Oh mah Kami-sama! Wouldja look at that sky? Black as it'll ever get! Bee-oo-tee-full!" Kyoko sang, changing the subject. She then yawned dramatically. "I am one tired girl. I'm gonna get me some shut eye. Comin', Sango?" She asked and entered the cave. Sango just stared after her, trying to put the pieces together. She said she was a slave… but… how did she become free… all of a sudden… Sango shrugged. Oh well. It is not my business. Maybe she will tell me some other time.

~*~

"Inuyasha?" Kagome called to the surrounding trees. "Inuyasha I know you're here!" She looked around quickly but then saw a shadow step out from behind a tree. She recognized the silhouette even without the moonlight present to shine on his face. "Hey, there you are." She approached him and met his eyes, which were a calm violet. "Don't wander too far from the cave. Not tonight anyways."

"Feh. It doesn't matter. We could have all been killed earlier anyways," He snapped gruffly and Kagome winced slightly. She knew he was upset and she could sense the tension by the way he stood. She stepped closer to him and took his hand, his larger fingers enclosed around her smaller ones.

"I'm sorry, Inuyasha, for making you worry. I know that you'll never be able to trust your brother and-"

"And WHAT? YOU nearly got yourself killed today! Do you have to PROVE something to me that you're capable of handling yourself? Even injured he can still kill you in the instant a breath escapes your lips. Damn it Kagome! Oh… Grr… Just leave me ALONE!" He roared, flustered and was not able to put all that he wanted to say into words. He started to stomp off but was stopped when he heard the faint sound of her sniffles. His gut clenched and he sighed raggedly, turning half-way to barely see crystalline tears streaming down her flushed cheeks.

Kagome didn't know what to say. All she could do was stand like a sissy and cry. Just cry. "I-I'll be going now…" She stuttered but could not move. His eyes were pining her entire body. She saw hurt, worry and anxiety clouding both orbs. All for her. "Oh Inuyasha! I'm so sorry!" She cried and flung herself into his unprepared arms.

Inuyasha staggered back a step, feeling a flimsy and shaking feminine body resting against his own in search for warmth and comfort. He relaxed and pulled her tightly into his chest, his nose burying in her soft, damp raven hair. He felt the hot tears soak into his haori top and he was flooded with more emotions than he was used to.

"I'm sorry, Inuyasha… I let you down… I always let you down… I feel so bad…" Kagome whimpered, her lower lips trembling to try and stop the flow of tears. She gripped his haori in her fingers and listened to the steady beating of his heart, trying to let the soothing tones lull her.

"No," He whispered, his voice husky with emotion even though he tried to conceal it. "I… I was worried… for you… I thought he was… he was going to kill you… Stop crying… You haven't let me down…" He closed his eyes and rested his head on top of her chin, before pulling her back and holding her gently by the shoulders.

"I-Inuyasha…" Kagome whispered, looking up into his violet eyes. What was he doing?

Inuyasha gently reached up and wiped her tears with his thumb and then rubbed them on the sleeve of her shirt and then traced her face. "Sesshomaru will probably be out until morning, lucky for me, so go and get some rest. I'll be back when the sun rises."

"But you'll be all alone out here," Kagome returned, afraid for him. She took his hand. "No, I want you to come with me. I don't feel safe without you… near…" She trailed off but the hanyou turned human caught it. He felt warmth slide into his stomach at her words. Even as a human, she wanted his presence. It was rather nice to know.

"Okay, I'll come back. I'm not sleeping in the cave though. Not like this," He replied and gripped her hand as they walked back. Kagome smiled at him, a blush rose to his cheeks.

"As long as you're here, Inuyasha. As long as you're here…"

(A/N: Awwww! Isn't that so cute? Hehehe :P)