InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kokoro no Ai ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two:

~*~

A tremble surged from the large feline that a fairly attractive tajiya was riding on as the two figures continued to travel through the forest. She had goods strapped on her back as well as her weapon as they went on. The young woman's eyes clouded with concern from the shaking that her mode of transportation had let forth and she dismounted quickly, taking the feline's fluffy face into her hands. The neko youkai purred delightfully and reverted to her smaller kitten size and leapt into her master's arms.

"I'm sorry, Kirara. I should have realized that you were tired earlier," she said down to the relaxed feline who was in her arms. Sighing, Sango readjusted the pack that she was carrying and the hiraikotsu to a more comfortable position on her back and started to walk, her eyes sharp and her mind clear so that she could focus on any demon auras or any sounds nearby.

**

"Jaken-sama?" A girl whispered, her dark brown eyes wide with panic as she continued to stumble blindly through the thick trees and wholly unfamiliar territory. "Uh oh… Rin is… Rin is lost!" her meek voice frightened as she swallowed hard as she continued to stumble blindly through the wholly unfamiliar territory.

Suddenly, a movement in the bushes behind the child startled her and she whirled quickly to see a lady holding a small kitten with packages and a large boomerang strapped to her back. Kitty? Rin wondered in her mind thinking that she had seen that neko youkai before… only it seemed larger and angrier…

As her mind wandered, her thoughts went back to something her lord had told her when she had gotten lost before.

"Never follow a stranger with a weapon. They could cause you harm…"

Taking those words of advice into consideration, the girl promptly scurried into a bush as quietly as she could, feeling a bit of fear rising in her chest. She would simply wait until the strange lady with her kitty had passed through and then she would yell for her dependable rescuer.

**

Two small golden ears perked at the barely noticeable sound of leaves rustling together. It was not the cause of the wind. A feline nose rose to sniff the air quickly. Sango watched her loyal neko demon's alerted reflexes and looked around.

"What is it, Kirara?" she asked softly, gasping slightly when her small fire cat leapt from her hold and onto the ground, springing into a nearby bush. A terrified squeal was elicited shortly afterwards. A small girl bounded out and tripped over an elaborate kimono therefore loosing her footing as well as her balance, toppling onto the lush grass of the forest floor.

Sango jogged lightly over, dropping her belongings and her weapons within her reach and knelt down to help the clearly frightened, well dressed girl up, her mind struggling to remember why the girl seemed somewhat familiar.

"Ow!" The girl cried, lifting her elegant, now torn and grass stained kimono up a bit, revealing a freshly cut knee. When she saw Sango coming a little bit closer, she tried to scramble to her feet, having no avail. "No!" she shouted, shielding her face, flopping down onto the ground again, her body curling up into a ball.

The tajiya drew back a moment in confusion as she watched the young girl's antics, her eyes scanning her over. Why, she looks to be only eight or nine! Why is such a young girl wandering out here by herself? She thought, reaching out to pull the girl's arms away from her slightly dirty face.

Upon hearing the child's ragged, unsure pace of breath and seeing the fear in her dark eyes, the young woman smiled warmly down at her, watching as the young girl's demeanor softened quite a bit from just the simple smile. "I'm not going to hurt you, little one," Sango told the girl in warm humor, laughing softly, drawing away from her to sit up, her gaze fixated on the small girl.

"Hm?" The child wondered aloud, her eyes looking Sango over in a scrutinizing manner for a moment before she let out a defeated sigh.

"I'm sorry Kirara frightened you. She was just curious," Sango added, letting out a dainty snort of amusement when her small neko demon rubbed around her seated legs affectionately, purring audibly.

"Oh…" The child replied, reaching her hand out in an uncertain way towards Kirara. "Can…" she started to say but trailed off. "Can Rin touch it?" she finished, giving Sango a toothy grin when she nodded in compliance.

Rin… Rin… Rin… Why is that name ringing an unsaid bell? The young woman shook herself from her thoughts, watching with a soft smile as Kirara purred and arched against the small girl's hand. The girl named Rin laughed gleefully, the feeling of the soft fur beneath her fingers tickling her a little bit. The fun and games was over as quickly as it started when Kirara's fur began to stand on end and she began to hiss into the trees situated behind Rin.

Sango's eyes widened in alarm as she grabbed for her hiraikotsu, slinging her regular kimono off to the side, revealing her tight, pink and black outfit that she wore to slay demons. Rin let out a cry of fear as she scrambled out of the way.

"Rin! Go and hide!" The young woman snapped towards the scared little girl, making sure that she was out of the way of the battle. She was brought back to the matter before her when something sharp sliced into her arm, sending a hot, wrenching pain throughout her middle. She cried out as her blood, hot and thick, oozed down her arm, her dark eyes darting wildly in search of her attacker. "Damn it!" she cursed, looking about her, realizing that the youkai who had just attacked her was now hiding.

Kirara was ready for this however and transformed in a blast of flame and leapt into the trees above the tajiya but came crashing down towards the ground moments later, being trailed by a hungry looking breed of youkai the likes of which Sango had never seen or even studied before.

"Kirara!" The young woman screamed, throwing her hiraikotsu with her uninjured arm towards the demon, only to watch as it dematerialized in a length of speed and appeared across the clearing, in front of the bush that Rin was currently hiding in.

Sango watched in worry and in anger when her neko demon hit the ground and shrunk in size to her small kitten form, unconscious. Seeing the location of the dangerous youkai now frightened her even more as she saw the small girl trembling in bush. She again threw her hiraikotsu and predicted the movement of the youkai, bringing a casket of red poison from her belt and flung it into the air towards the hungry youkai.

"Poison?" The demon cried, shielding his face, crouching over to avoid the red substance in the air.

"Rin!" Sango shouted towards her. "Run away from the poison!" she ordered, seeing the young girl following directions, running out of sight. Oh wonderful! Now more youkai will be able to target her… The tajiya thought as she drew her dagger, drawing her breathing mask up over her mouth and nose as she charged the youkai, hoping to stab the beast at least once… But the demon was far ahead of her.

The youkai clutched her good arm that now held the dagger, laughing cruelly when she struggled. "Does this hurt?" it sneered, grinding her bones a bit, enjoying her torment as she bit her lip to keep from making a sound. "You and that fire neko will make a fine meal," the creature continued, hurling the wounded tajiya down onto the ground within a far extended arm's reach of her weapon. "And then I will eat the child for dessert," it laughed, stepping on her bleeding arm that he had slashed earlier. Tears sprung into Sango's eyes from the pain but she would not cry.

The tajiya's gaze was distracted when she heard Rin's cry of sheer terror. In her last act of desperation, Sango lunged out towards her boomerang and flung it towards the youkai, praying that it would at least catch him off his guard for a moment… But it did not…

"HELP!" Rin cried, scurrying past the youkai as he watched her, his eyes flashing in hunger as he toyed with the child. The girl ran to Sango's side, shaking her briefly, gasping when the demon came closer, his eyes alight with bloodlust and starvation. He was going to enjoy their deaths.

"Rin… Run away and save yourself…" Sango whispered, her eyes growing heavy as she fought unconsciousness. She had fought dangerously even with her horrible wound that was spurting blood and still was spurting blood. Damn it… How could I be so careless even when a child's life is on the line? Even if I am unconscious now… I will not die… She thought before she heard a cry of joy from Rin.

The last thing she saw before she slipped into blackness was the youkai getting sliced in two by a magnificent sword and a flash of long, thick white hair as it bounced off of a very powerful able body…

**

Water, cold and slippery bounced off of Sango's face as she coughed and sputtered in alarm. She tried to sit up quickly but winced and fell back as she used her bruised but capable arm to wipe the water from her eyes.

"There girl. Are you happy now? The wench is awake!" An irritating, high, raspy voice sounded in anger towards a certain girl. The tajiya let out an `oomf!' sound when something crashed into her side.

"Lady! Lady! You're alive! Rin was so worried!" The girl cried, her voice sounding relieved. Sango nodded and sighed, sitting up carefully, if not weakly. She blinked several times to clear her vision and gazed around at her surroundings. Her eyes were wide.

A feral looking two-headed dragon was grazing only steps away from her, not paying any attention to anything around it. A toad carrying a staff stood next to the beast, his bulbous yellow eyes narrowed and staring insolently at her while Rin was grinning at her as she sat next to her. Sango let out a confused sound.

"Where am I?" She asked, looking to her arm that had been bleeding earlier to see that it was starting to close over a bit and that none of the blood had been cleaned from it. Damn it. I'm going to get an infection… she thought, before a deep voice made her jump from its sudden sound.

"Jaken, fetch some water," it said, regal tones reeking from the aloof and rich voice. Sango swallowed and turned her head to see Sesshomaru standing in all of his glory.

"Sesshomaru-sama!" Rin cried, leaping to her feet, embracing the taiyoukai's legs firmly. The young woman watched the scene, her mouth tilting a bit in amusement as she fought to conceal it. Sesshomaru looked indifferent save for the mixed look of embarrassment and adoration he had gazing down at the child. "You are back," she said, pulling away from his legs to plop down in her spot beside Sango again, her face generally pleased to see him. This surprised Sango because, even though he had been in alliance with her group during the battle with Naraku, it never occurred to the tajiya that anyone could be happy to see the cold demon lord. "The lady is awake," Rin added, pointing a slightly dirtied hand towards Sango.

"She is," Sesshomaru nodded, his face the usual stoic façade that he always wore. He strode over to Ah Un and pulled lengthy bandages from a package on the side of the dragon's saddle and strode over to her gracefully to where Sango was seated and tossed them to her.

The cloth fluttered and landed daintily in her lap. The tajiya looked down at it and then her gaze flicked up to the taiyoukai's face in confusion. The bewilderment was not what the cloth was for. It was why he had given the bandaging supplements to her.

"This Jaken has brought the water my lord requested," The toad squawked, bringing a pot of water and held it so the golden eyes of the Inuyoukai could see.

"Give it to the tajiya. She has need to dress her wounds," The taiyoukai told Jaken, his face a bit hard as he watched his vassal set the water before the young woman. Fatal human wounds, he thought in scorn, his nose wrinkling at the strong scent of her dried crusted blood. Disgusting.

Sango was extremely surprised and caught off of her guard by all of this. Were Sesshomaru and his company actually taking care of her? It was a bit overwhelming for her. I can't say anything because I don't know what to say! The tajiya thought foolishly, feeling supremely stupid at the moment. I feel as if a cat has my tongue- Cat… CAT! "Kirara!" She burst out of no where, causing Sesshomaru to look down at her in bewilderment, along with a pair of dragon heads, yellow orbs and two dark almond shaped eyes. "Where is my fire neko?" she asked, her voice dripping worry and anxiety.

"Your kitty?" Rin asked gently, ####### her head to the side. "She's sleeping over there," the child pointed, under the base of a tree. "Rin carried her all the way over here after Sesshomaru-sama got rid of the bad youkai," she finished, her eyes going upwards in triumph as they praised the tall, proud demon.

"She is poisoned," The taiyoukai stated, his golden eyes going to the small ball of fluff that was the tajiya's `pet'. "The youkai that you faced had strong venom inside of his mouth that was elevated by the power of some shards of the Shikon no Tama," He finished, a bored look coming over his face. A low rumble escaped the human girl who sat beside Sango's stomach and the Inuyoukai's golden eyes were distracted by it.

The girl blushed and clamped her hands over her stomach, flashing an innocent toothy grin towards the demon. Sango was somewhat amused by the way Rin was able to be so carefree and happy around Sesshomaru. Her first initial thought had been that anything around the powerful youkai was either suffering or dead.

"Um… Sesshomaru-sama… Rin is hungry?" The girl giggled, shrugging a little bit. The tall Inuyoukai shook his head in either disbelief or exasperation, Sango was able to tell, and watched as he called to Jaken's attention that the girl was hungry.

"Roast the game that I hunted earlier. That should prove to be a feasible task for you," The demon lord told the toad, his voice laced with unspoken threats. And it might possibly take away some of my frustration from the earlier incident of you letting Rin wander off when you were supposed to be watching her… Sesshomaru thought, watching the retreating forms of his vassal and of his human charge. His attention was distracted when he heard a hiss from the tajiya behind him. His golden gaze was fixated on the wound that she was trying to clean carefully without reopening.

"Tell me," Sesshomaru said down to the young woman who was wiping away dried blood off of her arm.

Sango's dark eyes looked up to meet his intense honey colored eyes. They are so similar to Inuyasha's, she thought, only the hanyou's are less cold and less reserved…

"Why have you stopped traveling with the useless half-breed?" The taiyoukai finished, his arms sliding into the sleeves of his robes, much in trademark of Inuyasha's, Sango noted. The tajiya also got a flash of his false arm and saw that it was that of a wolf. "It seemed you had grown an emotional weakness to all of those in your group."

Sango concentrated on wrapping her arm snugly, to keep the wound from being exposed to bacteria that could cause infection and tied a one handed knot the best that she could with her bruised and sore arm. She sighed and reached into the pot of water and wiped her dirtied face with it, running her hand through her disheveled and thoroughly mussed hair. "The answer is in my privacy, Lord Sesshomaru. I highly doubt that you like it when others pry," The young woman replied politely to the taiyoukai, watching him with relief when he nodded and discontinued talk on the subject.

Wait… I am talking to Sesshomaru? Sango thought. Who knew that he could form proper conversation?

"When I slaughtered the demon earlier, Rin started to cry when I went to leave you and your feline behind. I did not know why until she told me that you fought to save her life," Sesshomaru began again, pacing a bit, his profile seeming nobler than ever before as Sango watched him. His eyes were idle, bored while his form seemed tense. "And for that, I owe you my gratitude, tajiya," He finished, nodding to her solemnly.

The young woman's eyes widened, as she got to her feet weakly, finding out that her legs were terribly sore also. She choked back a wince as she limped towards the proud Inuyoukai. "I don't suppose I did a very good job to protect her. The youkai came out of nowhere. I did not detect his presence at all until he was upon me," Sango replied, her eyes looking towards an exceptionally tall tree for lack of anything else to look at.

"The youkai had three jewel shards," Sesshomaru told her, pulling out three shining pink pieces of the sacred jewel of four souls and flicked them her way. Luckily, with her fast reflexes, Sango caught them in her good hand and stared at them for a long moment.

"I don't understand though. I have battled youkai with more jewel shards than this," Sango elaborated, her voice sounding shamed as she closed her hand over the shards of the Shikon Jewel.

"But you had aid. You had my pathetic younger brother, the girl with arrows and the houshi with the chasm of wind in his hand. You have never faced a youkai with multiple jewel shards by yourself before," The taiyoukai of the Western Lands told her, his baritone voice harboring no emotion. Sango let out a sigh and licked her dried, chapped lips for lack of anything else to do or say.

"I do not know if that was a comment made to make me feel better but I will take it as one," Sango said up to the tall youkai with a soft smile, watching as his eyes flickered for a brief moment before he looked bored and aloof again. "Thank you for bringing me here though," She added, bowing to him respectfully even though he was still one of her greatest opponents.

"I did not do it for you," He replied, looking to the graying sky briefly before a gust of wind brushed through the surrounding area, sending his white mane into different directions. Sango shielded her eyes a bit to keep her own tresses from crashing into her face at the moment but stole a glance at the youkai.

When she had first seen him at the confrontation with Totosai she had found him handsome in a dangerous way, even though he was a youkai that took a human form. She had remembered her father's words then about how the most powerful and life-threatening youkai would disguise themselves in human form to hide their true identities. Sesshomaru was one who fit that category.

The wind died down to a low gust that was lightly ruffling the taiyoukai's luxurious, shining white hair into small trailing wisps. She saw his pointed nose sniff the air briefly before his form relaxed a bit. "There is a storm coming," he mumbled, most likely to himself but Sango heard it.

A low rumbling emitted from the sky as the wind blew the opposite direction now. Sango hobbled over to where Kirara was lying and scooped her up, hugging her to her form with her bruised arm while her hand tried to continue to hold the jewel shards. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw her weapon still in the forest and went to retrieve it until there was a yellow flash that blinded her momentarily. Lightning… she thought. Where was she to take shelter now?

She looked back to the place where the Sesshomaru had been standing and did not see him. She swallowed and looked around for any feasible means of shelter and saw none. Wonderful… The arrogant dog has rescued me from a deadly youkai only to leave me to die in a thunderstorm, The young woman thought in disarray and annoyance until she was grabbed by the back of her demon slaying outfit, nearly loosing her grip on Kirara, and was slung onto the back of a hugely massive… Dog?

Sango's eyebrows knit together in confusion as she set Kirara down on the large dog-like beast. She grabbed a handful of the silky white fur as she leaned forward, inspecting it. Could this possibly be Sesshomaru's true form? She reached out tentatively and pulled on the fur of the dog's head with a small amount of force until she was staring into two large red orbs that did not seem very impressed with the liberty she had just taken.

"Sesshomaru?" she wondered aloud, releasing the tight hold that she had had on the dog's fur, hearing a slightly grouchy rumble emit from the throat of the large beast. "So this is your true form… You are massive," she told him, stifling a giggle when she caught sight of him rolling his eyes.

"Sesshomaru-sama! A storm!" Rin cried, rushing towards the taiyoukai in his true form, her eyes widening in shock, horror and confusion. Jaken waddled on behind her, shoving her forward with the staff of skulls.

"Do you not know that that is Sesshomaru-sama in his true form? His body will offer us shelter, you fool of a girl!" The cranky toad snapped, following the massive dog until he came to a crease of boulders and let Sango dismount with Kirara. "Sesshomaru-sama, this wench is here too? Why?"

"Rin is happy. That's why," The girl snapped at the old vassal, giggling when he snarled and threatened to pull her hair out. Sango yawned and felt a raindrop sprinkle on her cheek.

"Sesshomaru-sama, won't you get wet?" The tajiya asked, gasping when she felt her back being nudged by something hard. She turned slowly to see the annoying toad glaring at her.

"Do you not think that with his great massive size that Lord Sesshomaru cannot withstand a mere thunderstorm, human?" Jaken snapped, shaking his head, uttering something about the stupidity of human females.

"Lady, Rin wants you to be by her," Rin exclaimed, grabbing for Sango's arm that was holding Kirara and the jewel shards and she winced when the jolting of her arm disturbed her other arm.

"Gently, Rin, and my name is Sango," The tajiya told the girl, watching as she nodded in excitement with a toothy grin upon her face. Sango felt a small twinge of paranoia for a moment as she turned her head slightly, seeing crimson eyes boring into her for a split second, then they turned away.

This is strange… Sango thought to herself, observing her company. Sesshomaru, a dragon with two heads that was now coming over for shelter from the large transformed taiyoukai, an old warty toad and a small human girl. She shook her head and decided not to dwell on those thoughts when she yawned deeply, her eyes feeling heavy. All of the excitement for one day has been trying on me, I guess, Sango thought, finding a comfortable spot to lie down on the ground on, settling down a bit, all sounds around her fading into the deep unconsciousness of sleep.

**

When Sango awoke, she realized that she was now all by herself in the small area near the crease of rocks. She sat up slowly, minding her arm and looked around to see puddles all about and found Kirara curled up at her feet. When she shifted her legs, the kitten-sized demon stretched and yawned weakly, letting out a soft mewing sound. The tajiya reached down towards her neko demon and picked her up gently, delighting in the peaceful, soothing sounds of her purrs.

"Are you feeling better, hm?" Sango whispered gently to the cat, stroking her soft fur before she put her back down onto the ground to sleep some more.

The tajiya got to her feet leisurely, feeling the lactic acid fermentation in her sore muscles as she fought to move around smoothly but the limp in her leg just could not be ignored. She searched around, following the sounds of Rin's laughter and the toad Jaken's annoyed squawks, finding the girl bathing and Jaken trying to coax her out.

Sango sighed and decided she would wander further down stream until the sight of a familiar taiyoukai caught her eyes. He looked down upon her with regular haughtiness but he seemed solemn as he nodded to her as if saying good afternoon… because it was…

"I am in your debt now, Lord Sesshomaru," The tajiya said to him, bowing slightly. "Thank you for giving me shelter from the storm," she added. Sesshomaru looked in different but his golden eyes seemed a bit puzzled. It's strange… I'd think that being in debt to a demon the likes of him would make me feel uneasy, Sango thought. But it doesn't at all…

"I see," was the youkai's blunt response because he did not know what to say to her comment. Someone in debt to him? A human having enough honor to say so? "You will be leaving soon enough though," Sesshomaru stated, crossing his arms in his sleeves.

"Yes. I don't believe I have the strength to travel as of now and my fire cat is still weak but as soon as I am well, I will be gone," Sango replied, feeling calm and relaxed as she shared light conversation with the taiyoukai who had been one of her greatest enemies. It shouldn't be this way… I am a demon slayer. I slay creatures like him… Yet at the moment I don't feel the need…

"I do not give charity," Sesshomaru told her, his voice sounding a bit harder than it had only moments ago. "I repaid my gratitude, human. You will be on your own now," he finished, nodding to her before he strode away with long, graceful steps.

Sango bit her lip but knew that he had been hospitable enough. It wasn't polite to simply stay longer than one was invited… And I am amazed he even let me stay this long… Offering me shelter from the storm and all

**

"Sango-sama? Where are you going?" Rin asked, rushing towards the tajiya who was packing her things, now wearing her over kimono again. The young woman looked up as she slung her recently retrieved weapon, which was now a bit damaged from the storm, over her shoulder.

"I need to return to my village, Rin. I have overstayed my welcome," Sango replied, watching with guilt in her throat when Rin's face looked a bit crestfallen. "Don't worry, little one. We will see each other again," she added, hoping to ease the look of sadness that had clouded over the normally joyous child's face.

"Do you promise?" The girl pressed, her little hands going to her non-existent hips. The young woman laughed softly at her small action and shook her head, the smile still present on her lips.

"I suppose so Rin, if your Sesshomaru-sama would allow it," Sango replied, her eyes going to the demon lord who was now standing behind the little girl. His golden eyes stared into her dark orbs and for a moment, the young woman felt a bit… restless and hungry for something… She licked her lips and stood up slowly to mind the muscles in her legs. "Well, the trip is long and I must be going, Rin."

"No! Rin doesn't want you to leave! Rin had so much fun with you!" The girl started to sob but stopped when Jaken yelled at her for doing such a thing.

"You know how our lord gets when you cry like that, little imp!" The toad chastised.

"It is not a crime to cry," Sango said to Jaken, her voice strong and meaningful. Rin wiped her eyes and nodded. Sesshomaru looked upon her in wonder as she turned to leave.

"Farewell," The young woman called over her shoulder, carrying Kirara carefully as they traveled a slow, leisurely pace to mind their muscles and healing wounds. Her arm felt a little bit better but she would not be able to use it without pain for quite a while. Let's hope there are no more demons lingering about this area, she thought, continuing to walk on through the forest.

From the top of a large brush two angry, vengeful, malicious eyes watched the demon slayer as she walked along and a plan began to form in her mind.

Writer's Corner:

Dun dun dun… I know what you're thinking! When are Sesshomaru and Sango going to bump into each other again and who's watching her from the tree…

Well…

THAT'S FOR ME TO KNOW AND YOU TO FIND OUT, SAVVY? Lol, sorry, I got carried away ;)

Hopefully this story will get a lot more interesting as it goes on, sorry if it's a bit boring but I'm still mixing things around and figuring out how some things are going to work. Please review and tell me what you think!

Ok, I guess the cat's out of the bag now. Cat… CAT? KIRARA! Lol, just kiddin'.

This is a Sesshomaru/Sango fic and I'm trying very hard to make it different than some of the ones that I have read (there are very few so I'm going out on my own limb here to make everything make sense…)

So, what did you think of the chapter. I know what I was thinking.

God I wish I was Sango and could be standing near a hot demon like Sesshomaru and conversing casually (with some formalities of course because he is a taiyoukai) with him like no tomorrow! YEAH!

Well, I must be off! Time to update some other stories! WAHOO!