InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kokoro no Ai ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Writer's Corner:

Woop! It's been a long time since the last update. ~Looks around and hopes no one is waiting for her with torches~ But I've been pretty busy. I had to update my story `Dark Castle' that was nominated because I had a splurge of inspiration and I've been uploading my story `The Princess Bride' and it has 100 reviews and more coming! YAY!

Well, I hope this story gets passed 100. Actually, that is a prayer. I PRAY THAT THIS STORY GETS OVER 100 REVIEWS! I'm all ready almost half way there and as long as all of you faithful readers review, you will make my prayer come true! HUZZAH!

Now, for some `lovely' recap.

Rin gets Sesshy to travel towards Sango's village out of guilt trip basically.

Sesshy goes off ahead to inspect something and sees Sango NAKIE and BATHING!

Sango hears something and then sees Sesshy staring at her when she gets out of the water and then slaps him.

Sesshy gets angry and then starts to uh… harass her? And she kicks him in the balls!

He is appalled but then passes out in a dainty heap! And Sango thinks she killed him so ON TO THE CHAPTER!

Chapter Four:

Sango stood up quickly, her eyes large as she thought of the real and true consequences of her dangerous liberty and action. She started to pace back a bit as she pulled her clothes on, her eyes never leaving the unconscious demon lord. What was he saying before he collapsed? She thought, thinking back to the unnatural pale hue that his face had taken after she had planted her foot with all of the force that she could into his crotch.

He was saying something about how no one had ever dared to do something… Sango's eyes widened. AM I THE FIRST TO MAKE A SUCCESSFUL ATTEMPT AT SUCH A MANEUVER? IS THAT WHAT HE MEANT? She thought in horror, spinning on her heel to high tail it back to her village and grab her weapons and poisons that she used in battle. There was going to be, without a doubt, a vicious battle and a desperate feat to fight for her life when Sesshomaru returned to the present world.

I just hope that I am able to fight against an angry youkai with the power that he possesses. What was I even thinking? Sango berated herself inwardly, chewing on her low lip as she quickly slipped into her black tajiya outfit and went to look for her partially mended hiraikotsu.

. . .

Pain, hot and searing, but not as searing as it had been from the initial blow, hoarded Sesshomaru's lower region and down into his legs as his eyes flitted open. He felt like vomiting. He sat up slowly, wincing a bit as he raised a hand to his head to steady himself and concentrate. He took in a deep breath and rolled onto his ankles, hissing through his teeth when he realized it would be far too agonizing to roll up in one fluid motion to a standing position.

Damn it, he cursed in his mind as he clenched his teeth together. Deciding that he was above the pain, he rolled up so that he was upright and standing, although his body protested royally. He muttered an invective as a feminine scent caught his nose reminding him of why his groin was aching him so.

That woman… she attacked me in my- he looked down to where his injury had been briefly and his golden eyes narrowed. Rage began to boil in his blood as his eyes bled crimson. No one would ever be able to make a successful attempt at his privates and live to tell the tale. He was going to feel his claws slip through tajiya flesh in a matter of moments. He growled as he continued to think about her overall audacity, his thoughts angering him even more, almost to the point where he nearly transformed into his beastly dog form, but he felt Tenseiga vibrating at his thigh and it kept his sanity in check.

His mind made up, even though he was furious with his demon blood was coursing all around him and making a buzzing sound that gave him a rush, Sesshomaru zipped towards the village, appearing only as a stream of light to bystanders.

. . .

Oh no! Where are you? Sango thought in slight panic, knowing that the taiyoukai was going to be coming to his senses at any moment, as she searched around for her container of poison. Realizing that it was too late at this point, the tajiya reached for her katana when something solid crashed through the wall behind her in the hut, small splinters and chunks of wood flying everywhere. She shielded her eyes but got a glimpse at the one who had smashed through the side of the hut.

"S-Sesshomaru!" She gasped, feeling like such an incompetent fool because he had been too fast for her senses to pick up. She hadn't even sensed his approaching aura! She grabbed for her katana quickly, holding it in front of her with a white knuckled grip as she narrowed her eyes and curled her upper lip, revealing her white teeth.

"Who were you expecting, human?" He snarled, as he came at her faster than she could comprehend. When she finally percepted what was happening, she saw her katana on the ground and found her neck was being held rather snugly in the demon lord's large, strong hand. She was forced to stare into his face, seeing that he was no longer looking composed or stoic, but savage and furious.

His blood red eyes were flaming in hatred and righteous anger as they glowered down at her and the normally dignified redish, magenta colored stripes on his cheeks sliced his pale and ethereal face. Besides the encounter with Naraku, Sango felt afraid. Hell, she admitted it to herself. She was afraid and it didn't look like there was any way of escaping.

She muttered an invective under her breath in frustration as the taiyoukai's clenching hold tightened and her oxygen started to come out short. Gasping for air now, she started to claw at his hand with her own, hoping to Kami-sama that maybe he would be merciful and let her go… even though he was now smiling cruelly down at her struggles. He was enjoying this more than he had been enjoying her struggling when she had been naked! There was something wrong with him, obviously.

Mercy? Sesshomaru? Hm, Sango mused to herself, finding the paradox in her words. Soon she started to see colors in front of her eyes and she let out a cry as his grip became impossibly tighter. The bones in her collar and spine were starting to snap ever so slowly and that made the pain all the more agonizing. She let out a cry of alarm and pain as she started to become desperate. She didn't want to die! Not in the clutches of this murderous, arrogant enigma of a demon! Where was Kirara? Surely her fire neko youkai who was truly loyal to her would come and try to aid her!

"Do not fight it, wench. Attacking this Sesshomaru in my…" He stated, his voice thick and harsh as he mulled over an appropriate word for, `crotch', "sacred area," he decided, "secured your death by my hands and all of the struggling you are currently doing is bringing about your own demise much sooner than I would like," he finished, his eyes fading to their regular cold and unreadable honey depths.

"So you find this… entertaining," she gasped, her eyes hard and narrowed completely as her struggling continued, her breath starting to come out in wheezes.

Sesshomaru did not speak but he did continue to stare at her while she squirmed around. What is this foolish woman doing? Is her will to live that strong? He thought in confusion but did not show a scrap of it. He was drawn from his thoughts when a stab of pain surged through his bicep on his right arm and the thick, hot liquid that was his blood stain his elegant white robe. The bitch! She had gouged him with a dagger after dropping her arms from the one that was still holding her with a secure grip around the neck.

She was a mystery! An enigma even, he admitted to himself. He found himself rather intrigued with the way she was handling herself at the present moment, still wrenching and struggling within his grasp but she still fought for her life. She was refusing to die. This puzzled the proud, wise taiyoukai as he thought through all of the foolish, rash things that she had done in his presence.

She had slapped him in the face. She had kicked him in his manhood. She had tried to flee. She was trying to escape from his grip. She had stabbed him in the arm in an act of temperance.

All though the taiyoukai found himself irritated by all of the things she had done, he also found himself… curious? He scoffed internally. Surely the Demon Lord of the Western Lands should not have been amused and interested in a simple human woman who slaughtered demons for a living… If he were to let his guard down, she would kill him in his sleep, no matter how little of an amount it was.

Hm, he grunted internally, seeing that she was refusing to back down from her strong willed feat. She simply just wasn't going to allow herself to die by his hands. Feeling bored and less angry than he had been before, he dropped the tajiya onto the ground and looked down at her emotionlessly. She was staring up at him weakly, her neck stiff as she tried to gather herself up and scurry away, but the damage than he had done was ailing her.

I am going to have some awful bruises in the next couple of days, Sango thought, wincing when she tried to put her neck to rights and crack it. Her dark eyes traveled up to look Sesshomaru over to try and gauge a reaction but she could not read anything in his stoic face and hard golden eyes. He did however start moving his false left arm ever so slowly and the tajiya thought that he aimed to attack her again but he merely plucked the dagger that she had lodged into the massive and hard muscle out, chucking it at the ground towards her feet. Then, he gracefully went to stride out of the entrance to the hut that he had made in his fury.

"What?" Sango muttered in awe, wondering just what was going on. "I don't understand! I thought you were set on killing me!" she said to him, her voice extremely bewildered, along with the rest of her.

The beautiful and powerful demon turned, his regal profile showing in noonday sun. "Humans are always wanting answers to what they cannot understand," he said to her in a condescending tone. "As you once said, the answer is my own privacy and you were right. I dislike it when others demand answers," he finished in scorn as he whirled around, his hair falling down his back and legs like a mystical curtain.

Sango was truly startled and confused but she swallowed it down and tried to get up, all though she was having trouble. Suddenly, the laughter of a child came out of nowhere and it was truly recognizable laughter. Rin? Sango thought as she leaned against the side of the hut for support.

. . .

Further away, Sesshomaru heard the same laughter and his eyebrows lifted slightly in puzzlement. What was she doing here and why were Jaken and Aun not with her? He felt irritation rise a bit as he strode over to where Rin's scent and gleeful sounds were, the scent of the tajiya's fire cat blending.

The girl who was his charge was riding on the back of the feline and noticed her master's presence immediately. "Sesshomaru-sama!" she exclaimed, hopping down from Kirara's back and hurled herself towards her master, hugging his leg securely. The taiyoukai fell back a step, not really expecting such a foreword and affectionate gesture from the small girl and did not know what to do. Deciding that it would be best to probably wait until she was finished with her silly display, he stayed still and gently laid his large hand on top of her head, feeling slightly relieved when she gave him a toothy grin and withdrew from the tight embrace she had had on his leg.

"Rin? What are you doing here?" He asked her, feeling slightly concerned, if not a bit disappointed in her. She had wondered off again, he supposed and luckily this time the fire cat had found her and kept her safe. "You did not wander out of Jaken's charge, did you?" he asked her, his baritone voice harder now as he pressed on to get the real answer from the small girl.

Rin shifted uncomfortably under her lord's slightly perturbed gaze and sighed in defeat, hanging her little head. "Rin… Rin did wander, Sesshomaru-sama," she said softly, looking up to see him staring at her all knowingly. His face, according to her read, `I knew it'. "But Kirara came to give Rin a ride! Rin is safe!" she exclaimed, hoping that the explanation she gave would cover the boo-boo she had made. She went to the fire cat's side and stroked her soft fur.

"Rin-" He started to say, getting ready to reprimand the girl in his own fashion, telling her what she did wrong and why it was wrong, but before he could say anymore, the girl had dashed off, another bright smile lighting her face. He turned all though he knew to whom Rin was rushing off towards and he let out an annoyed growl briefly.

"Sango-sama!" The little girl shouted, throwing herself at the tajiya who held her very gently, minding her neck. "Rin missed you so much!"

Sango laughed softly, the warm sound reaching Sesshomaru's ears. "But little one, we were only separated for a matter of days. What will happen to you if I don't see you for a long extended period of time?" she asked her, her voice mild like the smile that was on her face as she stroked little Rin's glossy dark hair.

"That would make Rin very sad," Rin mumbled in reply, sighing as she reached up, a key signal that she wanted to be held. Sango gently bent over to pick the child up lifting the girl was too much strain on her sore neck and spine and she nearly collapsed. She set Rin back on the ground, meeting her confused and slightly worried dark eyes. "Sango-sama? What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry, Rin-chan," the young woman apologized, her eyes narrowing as she looked at the taiyoukai who was watching her and the child from the distance. "I had some… complications earlier."

"Was it a big youkai?" Rin asked, oblivious. "Jaken-sama says that you hunt youkais, even the big ones."

"Yes, Rin-chan. It was a big youkai," she answered the girl honestly because Sesshomaru was a tall and powerful demon. She had to smile at the girl's improper grammar though. Youkais… Very cute, she mused.

"Oh! If you had trouble, Sango-sama, you should have asked Sesshomaru-sama for help," Rin told her, turning around to stare adoringly at her master.

"Hm… Yes," Sango replied in disinterest. Too bad the only problem with that idea, Rin, is that the big youkai was your Sesshomaru-sama, the tajiya thought, shaking her head briefly. She sighed and cracked her neck again, the popping sounds causing Rin to turn around and stare at her in wonder.

"Whatcha doin'?" The child asked, staring at Sango in adoration now, her hands clasped behind her back as she waited for a response.

"Attempting to put my neck back into place," The tajiya answered the inquisitive little person, smiling kindly at her. "But now that it's back where it should be, you came all this way just to see me, didn't you?" she asked her, her voice becoming a little bit more cheerful than it had been. Rin nodded eagerly and she started to giggle. "So, what would you like to do, Rin-chan?"

The little girl's eyes widened with glee at that question. Finally she had a playmate that was more fun than Jaken and less rough than Aun. "Mmm…" she thought aloud, rubbing her little hand under her little chin in deep thought (A/N: Awww! Cute-ah!). Suddenly, it seemed that an idea had hit her. Sango looked at her, awaiting her reply with the same kind smile upon her lips.

Sesshomaru watched from the distance, feeling completely ostracized. It was as if Rin had completely forgotten about him- It wasn't that he really cared but… Who was he kidding? He missed the constant and attention and doting the small girl gave him, even though he chose to shun and ignore her most of the time. She looks happy though, the happiest I have seen her in a long time… The Taiyoukai thought to himself, turning to go and find his other compatriots that Rin had wandered off from unceremoniously.

. . .

"Sango-sama! Rin is so happy!" The little girl exclaimed as the tajiya led the little girl along the bank of the stream that she had been bathing in earlier. "Rin likes to play in water," she added, grinning up at the young woman who was leading her along.

"Well, Rin-chan, I'm taking you to the shallows so you won't drown," Sango told her, her voice gentle and slightly maternal. Rin's grip on her hand only tightened as she let out another gleeful giggle and hopped once to show her excitement and enthusiasm.

"It's a good thing that we're going to the shallows Sango-sama. Sesshomaru-sama doesn't like it when Rin goes out to deep water. Rin thinks he gets worried sometimes," the little girl added in a shy whisper as they continued to walk along until Sango pointed to the area of water in which they were going to play in. Kirara came up behind the two girls and surprised them by nudging them both in the back. "Kirara! Come swimming with Sango-sama and Rin!"

At those words, the fire feline retracted and walked off with her tail between her legs. The little girl seemed a bit confused, wondering why the big kitty had stomped off in such a manner.

"Rin-chan, Kirara doesn't like water very much. She's a neko," the tajiya filled in for her, seeing the small girl's confusion. Rin nodded solemnly but then her happiness returned when Sango started to roll up the bottom of her fancy kimono. The young woman stopped for a moment and thought about the nice kimono going in the water. It probably wouldn't be the best for the fabric… "Here, Rin-chan. Why don't we take you back to my hut and find you something that would be good attire for swimming," Sango suggested, leading the little girl away from the stream so that they could find her something more suitable.

. . .

The two large heads of Aun lifted as a figure in the forest started to come into view. One nudged the toad that was asleep on the ground awake, withdrawing when a small green fist flew wildly towards them. Jaken gathered himself up and glared up towards the large dragon but then froze and stiffened when he caught his lord's approaching scent. He leapt to his feet and let out a squawk of joy at his master's return but shrunk under his intense golden eyes.

"My lord! Erm… Rin is off with that fire cat that belonged to the tajiya," Jaken informed his master, starting to fumble with the staff of skulls nervously when Sesshomaru simply walked by him without acknowledging his presence. Feeling the need to come to his own defense, he chased after the mysterious Taiyoukai and started to splutter his ramblings. "Do not punish this humble servant Jaken, Sesshomaru-sama! I told that human brat not to go off with the feline until you returned but she scampered off on her own in the manner that you are very aware of and-"

The demon lord turned his head swiftly and pined down at Jaken, his eyes scorching him with invisible lasers of irritation. "Jaken," he said smoothly, his mouth in a hard line.

"Yes, m-my lord?" the toad youkai asked meekly, knowing what was coming next. He was preparing for a beating or being scolded or called a fool or being berated… He winced and closed his eyes, ready for a blow of any kind.

"Silence. This Sesshomaru doesn't wish to hear your feeble excuses anymore," Sesshomaru told him, his voice harboring no argument. Jaken let out an inaudible sigh as his master muttered to Aun to move along behind him.

"Yes, Sesshomaru-sama," he relented as he dragged his feet alongside the dragon Aun as the proud Taiyoukai strode imperviously back towards the tajiya village.

. . .

"There," Sango said matter-of-factly. "It might be a bit big on you but it will do for playing in the stream," she finished, rolling up the sleeves so Rin could see her hands again.

"Thank you, Sango-sama," Rin said and bowed a bit, grinning toothily up at the tajiya. Sango let out a small laugh and then a sigh as she took the small girl's hand again and they went to go and entertain themselves in the stream.

When they approached the bank, Rin made a dash towards the water and leapt right into the center of the shallows, a large splash spraying in all directions, hitting Sango in the face. She coughed and giggled along with the little girl, wiping the excess water from her face as she rushed in to join her.

Soon, an all out splashing war began and it was in Rin's favor because Sango decided that she would go easy on her, being a child and all, but she soon realized what a mistake it was. Rin was ruthless! She probably picked that trait up from Sesshomaru, Sango thought wryly but then was pulled under water by her ponytail. She felt slight pain in her neck and upper shoulders but ignored it as she was continually being dunked under. She gasped as she brought herself up again, yanking her hair from the girl's grasp.

"You want to play that way, Rin-chan? Well two can do that!" She shouted in triumph, cupping her hands as she parted the water into the direction of Rin, who was anxiously trying to scramble onto the bank to escape the coming tsunami that the tajiya was making.

Rin squealed in delight as the water splashed her and flew over her head… hitting a very tall, strong and stunned youkai behind her. She looked up at grinned. "Sesshomaru-sama! You're all wet!"

Sango stopped immediately, feeling the tell tale blush crawling back into her cheeks at her childish actions. She had only meant to soak Rin! Where had he come from? What would she do now? Was she supposed to apologize… Even though this was pretty amusing at the moment… Oh no… Sango told herself, groaning internally, feeling more foolish than ever. He's going to want to slaughter me again even though he spared me…

Sesshomaru stared at her, wondering what the hell she was doing, his normally bouncy bangs now flattened against his forehead. He lifted his hand gracefully and wiped all the water from his face and shook his hand afterwards. His brows lifted slightly as if saying, `Wow… How childish' and he turned away to go sit further away.

"Sesshomaru-sama! Come play with Rin and Sango-sama in the water!" Rin called to the retreating form of the powerful demon and Sango swallowed hard, trying to control the immense stupidity she was feeling.

"Rin, this Sesshomaru came to watch and to inform you that we will make camp nearby since you are so… infatuated with the tajiya," The Taiyoukai told the little girl, his eyes now narrowed slightly in irritation when he realized that water was trickling down his neck. I cannot believe she got me wet, he thought bemusedly, feeling annoyance twinge at him. Kami-sama! What was wrong with this human woman? "Also, Rin. This Sesshomaru also was watching and was splashed so I will not be sitting anywhere near the foolish tajiya who acts like a child herself," he finished, his voice wise and stating exactly how he felt. With that said, he continued on to find a more suitable place to sit and brood.

Rin turned to face Sango who had grown strangely quiet. "Rin thinks you got him mad…" she told her softly, her eyes going to watch Sesshomaru-sama as he leapt into a far away tree to sit and think in the branches. "Sesshomaru-sama doesn't like getting wet very often, except when he's taking a bath," the little girl added. "Believe Rin. Rin knows," she stated, nodding as if she were truly sure of herself.

"I… erm… see," Sango replied, feeling absolutely immature.

"But that's ok because Sango-sama and Rin can still play because Sesshomaru-sama said that he made camp nearby!" Rin exclaimed, hurling herself around the tajiya's waist in happiness. "Can Rin sleep in your house, Sango-sama?" the little girl asked quietly, looking up at her in wonder.

"I suppose so, Rin-chan, if it's all right with your Sesshomaru-sama," Sango replied, helping Rin to get out of the water as they headed back to the hut that the tajiya was now dwelling in.

. . .

The fire that Sango had built hours still shone in warmth and light against the darkness of the sky. The tajiya sighed and stretched as she came out of her hut after she had tucked Rin in for the night, her eyes focusing on a figure in the distance that was glowing even in the pitch-blackness of the night.

Sango sighed, her eyes taking in every nuance of the demon lord in the distance. His white hair glimmered and floated in a non-existent wind… Kami-sama… Even though her profession was slaughtering demons and using their bones to make weapons, she was very amazed by their youkai energies and powers. Suddenly, he turned and his golden eyes met her dark ones. Feeling slightly sheepish, Sango lifted her hand and gave a slight wave to him, realizing that she needed to talk to him about some things. He seemed to be Rin's caretaker after all…

I care for Rin very much, she thought to herself as she slowly walked to where Sesshomaru was standing, his gaze now distracted by some stray stars that were scattered throughout the black night sky. I need to tell him that… and tell him that as long as Rin and I are friends, we should make ourselves allies… It would be the most sensible thing to do. I don't think I would be able to handle it if every time I saw him he tried to kill me before I saw Rin… Sango thought, shuddering.

"It's a lovely evening tonight," The tajiya stated warmly, as she sent a shy smile up to the Taiyoukai who had regarded her presence. He nodded to her, not saying anything. His face was showing no emotion so Sango decided that now would be as good a time as any to speak with him. "Sesshomaru-sama, I think you and I need to discuss some things concerning Rin."

At the mention of his charge, the proud demon found a bit of interest and made a comment. "What things?" he replied, his voice sounding bored.

"Well, since we both care for Rin-" she stopped wondering if her words had offended him in any manner. I hope he doesn't get angry about me noticing how differently he acts around her… she thought, gauging his reaction. He made no movement but he nodded for her to continue, his expression solemn and unreadable. Damn him! I wish I could know what he is thinking! Sango though in exasperation as she continued.

"I believe we should both go into alliance," she finished, watching as a slightly cruel smirk appeared on his lips. He let out a low, mocking chuckle.

"An alliance?" He repeated, his voice slightly amused. Sango nodded, wondering what was so funny.

"Do you really believe that this Sesshomaru would go into an alliance with a human, nonetheless a tajiya?" He told her, his voice slightly hard and sarcastic.

"If you believe that I would kill you, you are sadly mistaken," Sango snapped at him, silencing him for a moment. She saw his deep golden eyes searching her for answers and signs of deceit. "I would not be able to take your life because I know how Rin would feel if I did," she finished.

Sesshomaru stood silently for a moment before he let out a scoff. "What are you saying, human? Your talk is idle," He replied, his hands going into his sleeves as his eyes narrowed, his baritone voice hardening in impatience.

"I care for Rin and she cares for me. She also adores you, Sesshomaru-sama," She added, hoping that would earn her some points but she did not care either way. "I just think that we should stop making attempts to take each other's lives because it is just a waste of time. An alliance would profit us both because you will have someone other than that old toad to keep her happy and then I will have someone who I know can protect Rin and myself if the need ever arises," Sango finished, watching him as she crossed her own arms stubbornly across her chest, waiting for him to say something.

Sesshomaru pondered this matter over, becoming distant for a moment, thinking of how much his charge would benefit from the alliance that the tajiya was so set on creating. "I believe it could be beneficial," the Taiyoukai began, catching Sango's distracted attention, "if you would not act so foolishly and annoy this Sesshomaru as much as you do. I tire of your antics and Rin does not need more influence in that department," he finished, turning away from her to stare at the sky again.

Sango smiled softly, reaching up to massage as her arm a bit. "If you are still upset about me attacking your private parts, I really am sorry. It was in an act of self-defense," the tajiya laughed quietly in amusement when she heard him scoff and saw him glare at her. "Oh, and I also apologize for splashing you. I forget sometimes that you are a dog demon and do not like to be splashed suddenly by water," she added, grinning at him.

Sesshomaru shook his head and let out a low growl as he strode away but stopped when she called his name, not bothering to turn around.

"Sesshomaru-sama, if you do agree to this alliance there is something that I would like you to do for me," Sango called to him, jogging to his side. He looked down at her in derision.

"And what is that?" he asked, his voice stoic as he waited for her idiotic request to come.

"I would like you to acknowledge my by `Sango', not `Tajiya' anymore," Sango told him, hoping that he would cooperate even though