InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living Weapons ❯ Fear ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*~*Edited 01/26/07*~*
 
Living Weapons
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Company; they belong to Viz and Rumiko Takahashi. This is a completely fictional work and any relation to events or persons, living or dead, is completely coincidental.
 
Summary: Four tools of gods - healing, destruction, wisdom, and control - are reborn on earth with no memory, but retaining their skills. At their inevitable meeting, which path will they choose?
 
Chapter Four: Fear
 
Kagome opened the door a crack and sighed. Exactly eight on the dot in the morning, and, already, Miroku was sitting at the junction of their corridor and the next. He had already gone and returned, according to his tidied appearance and the offerings perched outside her door, some gourmet chocolate and a bouquet of forget-me-nots. Interesting choice, Kagome mused, seeing as how Sango could hardly forget him, what with the piles of gifts appearing every day. She gathered up the gifts and took them inside, where Sango was cooking breakfast - French toast, sausages, bacon, and eggs - for Shippou, Kagome, Inuyasha, and herself. Shippou was currently seated at the head of the table with a cute little blue and white checked napkin tied about his neck. She placed the gifts on the table. Shippou immediately grabbed the chocolates, preparing to guzzle them down. He had been eating most of the candies Miroku brought. Kagome snatched them out of his hands, tucking them into a corner for later. It wouldn't do to spoil his breakfast. Wandering over and picking up the bouquet of lovely blue flowers, Sango chose five of the most perfect blossoms and placed them in a vase, along with the daylilies from the first day, carnations from the second, tulips from the third, and roses from just yesterday.
 
A few seconds later, a knock came. Shippou's eyes opened wide, and he bounced over to the door, calling back, “Okaa-san, Daddy's here!” He opened the door wide to reveal that, indeed, Inuyasha was there. Looking rather ashamed at the fact that he was scrounging a free breakfast yet again, he walked in. Kagome closed the door after him. Sango turned, barely acknowledging his presence, and then set the table for five. As if she had just noticed her own actions, she glared at the fifth place setting as if she wanted it to sink through the table.
 
Inuyasha glanced questioningly at Sango, then at Kagome. Not being fluent in the art of eyebrow language, he moved a tad closer to Kagome and whispered, “They still at it? I think I saw Miroku outside. He looked a bit dull.” Kagome sighed, worried for her two friends. “I wish they would just stop this foolishness.” Inuyasha nodded, suddenly acting the professional, “I mean, it's obvious they like each other as more than just casual friends.” Kagome nodded, “Yep.” “Daddy, Mommy! Come eat with me!” Kagome blushed as Inuyasha made his infamous “Keh!” They quickly moved apart, and Kagome moved to sit down. On her way over to her chair, she tripped over a crack in the floorboards. The miko immediately braced herself for the impact --- that never came. She twisted around to see Inuyasha holding her carefully around the waist. Looking into his eyes, she realized that they were the most beautiful color she had ever seen - amber, with tinges of gold. Meanwhile, Inuyasha was lost in her lovely blue pools. His long, white hair slid down, hiding them from view.
 
Shippou giggled, and they sprang apart, suddenly noticing their rather precariously intimate position. Kagome leaped toward her seat, sitting down across from Sango, who had been staring blankly at the wall. Sighing, the taijya pushed out her chair and stalked toward the plain wooden door, taking one last, wistful, glance at her vase of Miroku's flowers.
 
Kagome, Inuyasha, and Shippou glanced guiltily at each other, and then pushed back their chairs to follow Sango at a careful distance. When they rounded the corner, they hear Sango speaking to Miroku. Her words were harsh and biting, but her voice more gentle than they had ever heard it - almost affectionate. “Baka! You might as well just come in and eat. Anyhow,” she added, “Inuyasha, Kago-chan, and Shippou are here.” She sounded almost as if she were trying to justify her offer. Without bothering to see if he followed, she turned and left. The spying threesome hurriedly rushed back to the room, seating themselves and starting a random conversation on the cuteness of Shippou's tail versus the cuteness of Inuyasha's ears. At least, Kagome started it. Inuyasha just glared at her, and Shippou watched the two of them curiously.
 
Sango walked in, glaring at the three oh-so-innocent angels, and trailed by a very repentant monk. Kagome questions, directed through the telepathic connection of girls, were ignored. Sango forced Miroku onto a seat with a glare. Thus began the most awkward meal of the century. Kagome, longing for anything to break the tension, said to Sango, “You know what I heard? They are having a Spring Formal in the main ballroom near the end of the year!” Sango opened her mouth innocently to ask whatever in the world it had to do with her personal life, but was cut off by Kagome's enthusiastic follow-up, “So, Sango-chan, I was thinking, maybe we could go shopping together!” Sango pondered for a minute, and Kagome took it as an invitation to keep going. “Come on, it will be so much fun - and then we can go to the party together!” Sango raised questioningly sarcastic brows, `I'm sorry, but I prefer men.” Kagome giggled and reached across the narrow table to flick Sango on the shoulder, “I know, baka! I'll just tag along with you and Miroku, since, obviously, no one's going to ask me.”
 
Sango and Miroku glanced at each other, and Sango blushed. Miroku just looked proud. They had been planning to go together, before their argument. The question was - how had Kagome known. The same horrifying thought struck their minds at the same time, and Kagome laughed lightly, “No, I'm not psychic. Anyone with eyes would have noticed that.” Sango stuck her tongue out, replying, “I doubt Inuyasha would have - speaking of Inuyasha, where is he?” Kagome pushed back her chair, leaving the two friends alone with Shippou, he was fortunately keeping quiet. Sango sighed, relieved at knowing that she was freed from her first mall excursion ever. Kagome popped back in - “You never told me, Sango. Will you go to the mall with me?” Mentally hissing at fate, Sango nodded.
 
Kagome traced him to one of the indoor gardens. She knew he knew she was there and knew he was there, but his fury did not permit him to acknowledge her presence. She padded up to him and moved to put her hand on his shoulder. When she touched him, he jerked away, turning to face her. “Why,” he growled. Kagome was baffled, but Inuyasha didn't allow her to interject. “You are pretty - Kuso, you're beautiful! You're smart, and you're much better and nicer than anybody else! You deserve to have someone to make you happy!” He was working himself into a frenzy, and his eyes had begun to change, shifting from gold to blood-red, then back again. Inuyasha realized too late what he was doing, and attempted to push back the change, but was unable to. His last coherent thought was to push Kagome away - to keep her safe. From himself.
 
8888888888
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome questioned softly. He turned to her, and roughly pushed her away. His voice was more of a barking growl, “Go. Hide.” “What,” Kagome was shocked - Inuyasha would never hurt her! She looked up at him, to find that he had turned away from her and was leaping through the stained glass windows surrounding the garden, and into the surrounding forest. Worried, she followed him, tracking him easily by the path of destruction he had wrought: plants cut and thrown about, trees pulled up by their roots, and rocks torn into splinters. She trotted for another few minutes, noticing more change - droplets of red blood scattered about, and slight puddles of it here and there.
 
She continued, worried, only to find more animal carcasses and pools of blood littered along the path. Finally, she came upon Inuyasha himself, locked in battle with what seemed to be a cat demon. Upon spotting the gaping girl - who seemed to be collecting power in one palm - she tosses a fighting star toward her, hitting her in the side. Kagome cried out, holding onto her side as blood slid out. Inuyasha furiously finished off the neko-youkai, and turned back to her, covered in blood. The red bled out of his eyes as he saw that she was hurt, and he immediately rushed over to her. She lifted a pink jewel up to him, “I… found this… in my blood.” Inuyasha shushed her, furious with himself, “Shut up - I'm taking you home.” Kagome nuzzled in his arms, “Inuyasha… I'm happy… you're all right.”
 
Inuyasha nearly choked, this was going too far. He knew the depths to which her lovingness went - but to be happy that he was all right? What was that pink jewel? He had suddenly remembered the blood covered object that Kagome had held out to him. It didn't seem like a jewel. It was completely pink, but it shimmered, like there was magic in that hunk of rock. Inuyasha gasped, suddenly remembering one of Professor Myouga's lessons, then shook his head. It can't possibly be the Shikon no Tama - that was disposed of ages ago. However, he just couldn't shake the feeling that he had done all of this before - Kagome, Sango, and Miroku - and most of all, the legend of the Shikon no Tama, teased his memories, trying to call them into the light.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~