InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living Weapons ❯ Chapter 6 & All on my Own ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Living Weapons
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Company; they belong to Viz and Rumiko Takahashi. This is a fictional work and any relation to events or persons, living or dead, is completely coincidental.
 
Summary: Four tools of gods - healing, destruction, wisdom, and control - are reborn on earth with no memory, but retaining their skills. At their inevitable meeting, which path will they choose?
 
Chapter Six:
It didn't work, and she almost immediately fell back to sleep. Right before she did, she thought she felt the brush of silver hair, and the soft scratching of a dog's blunt claws.
 
The second time she woke up, she had finally regained her senses. That's right, she thought groggily, there was… Inuyasha was mad at me, because I wasn't going to the dance… And he got those nice purple stripes and red eyes… and I followed him… and then… there was a pink ball… She blinked what the heck? Why am I thinking about this? About… Quickly, she swung her legs off the bed and blinked again, startled, I was sure I was glowing pink for a moment there… Standing, she wobbled a bit, then gained her balance and went into the bathroom. She turned on the hot water and stepped into the shower, still thinking. Eventually, she successfully pieced together the pieces of memory she had and grinned. She inwardly sighed and got out, dressing carefully in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt written over with, “Life is simpler blonde… Probably more boring too.” Laughing at the shirt, she walked into the kitchen.
 
Sango hugged into her, laughing, but quickly gained control of herself. After all, she was a demon exterminator, albeit in training, and she couldn't go around throwing herself at old friends. “Are you okay? I thought you had drowned in the shower!” Kagome giggled and asked, “Where's Shippou?” Sango replied, “With Inuyasha… did you know you glowed pink?” This elicited a gasp from her shocked friend, “I thought so, but it was only for a second…” Sango laughed, “You glowed pink for about two straight days! It was so fascinating to watch. Too bad it wouldn't show up on the cameras.” Kagome gasped and reached out to hit Sango, but the taijya ducked away, leading the chase over to the extension of the kitchen they called the living room. There, she found Miroku sleeping on the couch.
 
Kagome glanced at him, and had one of the most wicked thoughts ever, “Hey, Sango-chan! What if…” She bent over Miroku's ear and whispered, trying to be as sexy as possible, “Hun, we need to get up now… You wouldn't want to be discovered…” She blew into his ear softly and groaned, while Sango came in next to her, “Miroku, my hunny-bun, I was thinking you had left me…” she whined, “We never got to finish what we started.” Kagome nearly choked on her laughter, and backed into a corner. Sango winked at her and continued, “Miroku, my… You certainly are… well endowed.” She blew on his face as carefully as she could, making panting sounds. Though that may have been from the force of her hidden laughter. Miroku snorted and woke up, staring into Sango's face.
 
He reached up toward her… and was rewarded with a well aimed slap to the face. Miroku blinked, “I thought you offered,” he asked, sounding ashamed. Sango laughed, and he continued, “But my Sango, you are the embodiment of purity, of beauty… would you not consent to a night with me?” Sango was quickly turning red, and Miroku had gained the upper hand. Fortunately (or unfortunately), Kagome chose this moment to leave them alone, walking into the bathroom as quietly as she could. She breathed a sigh. Maybe they would be able to… Drat! She heard a crash in the living room, and quickly walked back out, to find a pleading Miroku and a furious Sango. Kagome rubbed her temples. This was going to be a long day… day… school!
 
She rushed back into the room, “What day is this?” Sango turned around, “Friday. Why?” Kagome rushed into her room and came out a few seconds later carrying her backpack, “Because I have classes on Fridays! That makes, oh… How many did I miss?” Sango scratched the back of her neck, “Only two. You heal amazingly fast for a human.” Kagome gaped at her, “Two days is two days to many! I'm a student. A student who currently has a 3.81 on her GPA, which isn't good enough.” Kagome bolted out the door.
 
Sango turned back to Miroku before turning a most shocking shade of pale. Cursing, she rushed into her own room, and rushed out seconds later holding her boomerang in one hand and wearing her exterminator's outfit. “I have practice on Wednesdays at 10:00 in the morning. It is now 9:56, and I have to make that class. And you are going to drive me across the campus.” Miroku stood, “I would love to, my incarnation of divine purity and beauty. But aren't you supposed to run there?” Sango screeched, “Yes! I'm also supposed to get there on time. Now come on!”
 
Driving at insane speeds, Miroku somehow managed to drive Sango to the practice grounds in four minutes. Not a mean feat, considering that he kept taking the wrong turns. Plus, his GPS had chosen that moment to run out of batteries. He rushed back to his own room, nearly crashing into Inuyasha as he came out. Inuyasha looked… like nothing. With a carefully blank face, he somehow managed to walk around Miroku and out the door without glancing at him once. Miroku glanced at him and shrugged. He had a class in twenty minutes and he wasn't near ready. Shippou was sitting at their kitchenette, eating a tub of chocolate ice cream. Miroku ruffled his hair, “Hey, kiddo. I'll take you to see Kagome after my class, okay?”
 
In five minutes, he was in his car, showered, dressed, and packed. He grinned smugly; after all, he could do in five minutes what Sango couldn't do in fifteen. Sure, she could change at frightening speeds, but when it came to showering… she was such a snob. The need to make herself clean forced her to shower more than any other person he knew. But then, she sweated more than any other person he knew… He pictured her, moving swiftly, hair floating behind her… eyes glinting with the fury and passion of battle… sweat coating her body… He shook his head. “Bad Miroku… Bad Miroku… Very Bad…”
 
Somehow, he was having slight issues shaking the images out of his head. Gripping the steering wheel as hard as he could, he inwardly cursed the insanely large campus, and its messed up schedule. Honestly, who's brilliant idea was it that students should get as much exercise as possible by having classes on opposite sides of campus over two miles long? Of course, he thought bitterly, that's only because of all the practice fields. Now… his first class of the day was the History of Sengoku Jidai.
 
Meanwhile, a very bored hanyou was sitting in Professor Myouga's class, rolling a certain pink marble around and dissecting a story. He had lucked out. After asking Myouga about the Shikon no Tama, Myouga had explained everything he could. A powerful priestess named Midoriko had sealed her dying powers and those of the demons fighting her into a pink jewel about the size of a marble. It was called the Shikon no Tama, the Jewel of Four Souls. A priestess named Kikyou had eventually come to own the jewel. She fell in love with a hanyou, but was betrayed and died, taking the Jewel with her. Years later, a reincarnated Kikyou had come back and freed the hanyou from a tree, also accidentally shattering the Shikon. They, along with a fox kitsune, a demon slayer, and a monk, had defeated a powerful demon named Naraku. The hanyou and the priestess became mates. However, soon afterwards, the reincarnated miko had disappeared. The hanyou soon followed, and the taijya and houshi adopted the kitsune.
 
Now, Inuyasha might be slightly dull and masochistic, but he was not stupid. He had already pieced together most of the story, finding it fascinating that none of the characters, besides Kikyou and Midoriko, had been named. Beyond that, he had no idea. He made a mental note to talk to Miroku about it later. After all, he had a right to know. So does Kagome, his mind whispered. He immediately clamped down on the though. It wasn't like he was hiding it from her. After all, Miroku would tell Sango, and Sango would tell Kagome. And if she doesn't? His mind faltered for a moment, then snapped back, it's her problem.
 
He forcibly pushed his mind back to Professor Myouga's speech. Sure, he was a flea demon, but his voice was just a bit unbelievably dull. I believe the word they generally use is monotone. His voice, Inuyasha mused, had absolutely no depth. Actually, it was more of a pigeon's squawk than the voice of a youkai. He shook his head, glancing at Kanna and Kagura, both of whom were busily taking notes. He briefly wondered how they paid so much attention to such a boring teacher. This, of course, was followed by wonderings on their father, Naraku. Naraku, he mused, like the youkai in the story.
 
He tried to listen to the droning of his professor, who was pausing to take a sip of coffee. “… and this is how Inuyasha's Forest came to be known.” Inuyasha sat bolt upright. Nani, his mind screamed, Inuyasha's Forest? Needless to say, he paid rapt attention for the rest of the class.
 
88888888
 
Kagome frowned… She usually adored her training, especially with Keiko-sama as her teacher. She was so kind, and patient, especially since Kagome had missed two days of school. Kagome shuffled the papers on her desk. There were twelve pages of typed, single-spaced notes for her to go over. A voice broke through her reverie, “Kagome? Could you please answer the question?” Kagome's head snapped up, a faint blush coloring her cheeks. “I'm sorry, Keiko-sama. Could you please repeat the question?” The teacher nodded, “Which physical shape is best for the containment of vast amounts of dormant power?” Kagome frowned. She had no idea what the answer was, “A sphere, Keiko-sama?”
 
The teacher smiled, “Yes. Today we will be discussing the most legendary of powers, the Shikon no Tama. Years ago a priestess named Midoriko…” Kagome paid close attention, trying to regain her sense of duty and accomplishment that she should have, and taking careful notes in her journal. “… The Shikon no Tama itself is in the form of a pink, marble-sized, sphere.” Kagome sat bolt upright, taking even more care about her notes. “Should I ask Keiko-sama about…?” She shook her head, as it was obviously a bad idea. She was happy about her choice as soon as Keiko-sama added, “It has not been seen for millennia. You would be hard pressed to find anyone, even a youkai, who has seen the Jewel itself. Some say that the tree spirits know, but… It has been ever so long since we have had a miko with enough power to communicate with a tree that old…”
 
At the end of the class, Kagome rushed out into the park, running toward a patch of trees. The same patch of trees, it would seem, that she and Inuyasha had gone through only a few days prior. She walked up to a tree and pushed her mikoki into it… Hello, Little One. She gasped and pulled her hand away from the bark. Tentatively, she reached out again, you can talk? The tree - was it a tree? - chuckled. Of course I can, Little One. Kagome blinked, why do you call me that? The tree laughed now, a slightly menacing laugh, boughs shaking despite the lack of wind, I have lived a thousand years, ten lifetimes of men. You are nothing to me. A wave of energy came from the tree, threatening to overcome her defenses. She closed her eyes, and felt… nothing. Opening them warily, she realized that she was moving.
 
Inuyasha's faced loomed above her, and she nearly gasped at his tight expression. He dropped her off in front of the greenhouses where she had her next class. And then he walked away, without a single glance at her. He didn't look at her, not even once. In fact, other than carrying her, he hadn't even acknowledged her existence. She stared after him, wondering what she had done wrong. She breathed out a single word, “Inuyasha?”
 
88888888
 
Who does that bitch fucking think she is? Inuyasha stalked away from her, using every ounce of his self control not to glance back at her. A soft whisper of wind carried a single word to his ears, and they twitched. “Inuyasha…” He fought to not glance back at her, her and her heartbroken face. The face that haunted his dreams and nightmares alike. “Keh!” He was being romantic. And he didn't like it.
 
Always making me save her. What was she thinking, randomly walking up to a tree and talking to it? Doesn't she know that tree spirits are known for being cryptic, and, usually, malicious? Doesn't she know that the last miko who tried gave all her power to the tree just to escape? Doesn't she know anything at all? Baka wench!
 
Not, of course, that I mind saving her… It is just that… She needs to take care of herself! Yeah! With that last, not very convincing, thought in mind, he stomped away toward his dorm, to be confronted by a very sugar happy Shippou, who had just recently consumed all the sweets to be found in the dorm he shared with Miroku. Honestly, it is a wonder the kid is not obese. But then again - how fat can a demon get? After all, with their healing and all… It is not as if they would die of heart attacks or other fat-induced things.
 
88888888
 
Sango stood at the ready. At least, the position that passed for ready among demon slayers. She was standing perfectly straight, weapons still sheathed. Nothing about her manner showed that she was the least bit tense, except of course for the rather obvious armored clothing she was wearing. She had changed as speedily as she could as soon as Miroku had dropped her off, and had gotten to class with not a moment to spare. Fortunately, for her, her classmates were not inclined to inform the teacher of her lateness.
 
Her mind was sharp, tensed, focused on the ultimate goal. Of course, right now, the ultimate goal was hardly something worthy of being an ultimate goal, but so what? The purpose was that she was willing to battle for it. `It' being a slightly dented tin can standing at the center of a large ring of girls. The girls were standing twenty feet from the center, spaced about every four feet. They wore the same battle uniforms, and appeared to be holding but one weapon. A whistle blew, and the girls charged forward, desperate to gain the advantage of speed. Unfortunately, there was not enough room around the tin can for them all to fit. Therefore, they did the only reasonable thing to do in such a situation - dispatch as many enemies as possible before reaching the target.
 
Sango engaged a girl with brown pigtails and blue eyes. She swung her boomerang, and was blocked by the girl - Mitsuki, she remembered. Leaping over, she landed behind the girl and laid a small gash along the side of her neck with her arm knife. She was out. Sango rushed forward, swinging her boomerang to clear the way. Behind her, she saw a few girls leaping to catch up. With a desperate spurt of energy, Sango flicked out her sword and caught the girl reaching toward the can with the tip of it, forcing her back to avoid death. Quickly she hooked the can with her sword and swung it into the air. She swung Hiraikotsu, and quickly leapt off the spinning object, grabbing at the can, only to feel an arrow graze at her feet. She hit the ground and rolled, clutching the can.
 
The instructor clapped, “Good job, Sango! Now let's get this show on the road! Mitsuki, Sango, Arisa, and Tohru - you're green.” She turned at prattled off the names of a dozen other groups and colors. Once again, the tin can was placed on the podium. “The key is teamwork! Form battle plans. You have twelve minutes.” A clock was placed on the ground, with a ticking bomb on top. The groups had exactly twelve minutes. Probably less, because they had to get out of the way of the blast.
 
Sango grinned in a feral manner. Now comes the fun. They began to lay battle plans.
 
88888888
 
Miroku sat at rapt attention as the teacher sashayed across the room, delicately scrawling complex diagrams across the blackboard. Unfortunately, his eyes were not on the blackboard, but on the teacher. Rather, the teacher's breasts. Not to mention the teacher's butt. Of course, the teacher knew all too well what her least favorite student was doing during her class. She had discovered a few days prior, when a passing Miroku's hand had bumped into her ass. All by accident, of course. As Miroku hastily protested his innocence, she had smiled coldly at him and crossed the room.
 
Since then, his project groups had contained a sad lack of feminine presences. He sighed, and then decided to abandon such depressing thoughts and focus on the beautiful object in front of him. Kyoko-sama discreetly glared at the perverted monk in training. Miroku grinned, allowing his eyes to travel from her well-rounded butt to her even better rounded breasts. He felt a small spike of spiritual power in the vicinity, but chose to ignore it.
 
Not a good choice. He slumped, falling into a deep sleep, as Kyoko-sama proclaimed, in an overly loud and obvious voice, “Oh, dear me, it seems as though Miroku-kun has fallen asleep! How absolutely horrid. Well, I do suppose that we shall have to send him down to the nurse's office. Who's willing to take him?” His classmates laughed or smirked as their natures predicted, and he was taken down by two of his male classmates (everyone had already noticed his lecherous tendencies).
 
88888888
 
Somewhere very far away (or in another dimension altogether), four gods and goddesses sat a table. There was a woman dressed in flowing robes, with long, black hair hanging to the floor. Her face showed nothing, though her eyes smiled brilliantly at all who looked. The man on her left was obviously a youkai, dressed in a plain business suit of elegant cut and design. He sighed, but quickly thought of a way to amend the situation. The man on her right was dressed in the robes of a monk, and smiling wisely (though slightly devilishly). The woman across was dressed in the formfitting clothes of a taijya, and was stoically glaring at the monk. Behind her were racks of weapons, and a neko-youkai in its true form. A clock ticked and they revealed smiles full of daring, courage, hatred, and love. They stood and walked away from the table, as if they had been planning this moment for years… they had.
 
Living Weapons
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Company; they belong to Viz and Rumiko Takahashi. This is a fictional work and any relation to events or persons, living or dead, is completely coincidental.
 
 
Summary: Four tools of gods - healing, destruction, wisdom, and control - are reborn on earth with no memory, but retaining their skills. At their inevitable meeting, which path will they choose?
 
 
Chapter Seven: All on my Own
 
 
Inuyasha pinched the bridge of his noise, trying to ward off the incoming headache. It didn't quite work, and he walked into the bathroom, sliding the mirror to reveal the medicine cabinet. Pulling out a bottle of aspirin, he swallowed them and went back to his desk.
 
He pulled out the notes that he had managed to take on the lecture Professor Myouga had given on the Shikon no Tama. Carefully, he had placed the dainty object into a glass jar, tucking it into a corner of his drawer. Now all that was left was to figure out how to break the news to Sango and Miroku. Kagome, too, his mind reasoned. After all, it came out of her body.
 
He shook his head fiercely. Never. She had already gotten into enough trouble as it was - in the last few months that they had met, he had already pulled her into enough trouble as it was. She didn't need to be stuck with a half-breed again. She was dainty, fragile. She deserved to be protected.
 
Before his youkai could assert its ability to protect Kagome, he pushed the thought aside. She deserved better than him, even for a protector. Anyway, with that soul of hers, she'd probably feel indebted to him. Better to just leave her alone. Sango and Miroku, on the other hand, could take care of themselves. They had control over their powers, and they had already seen death.
 
Kagome, on the other hand, hadn't. He could smell it on her - her innocence, her purity, her virginity. And it was hard enough to keep away from her without being near her constantly. He didn't anything to happen to her. He glared unseeingly at his notes, trying to decide. He slammed his hands into the desk, growling unintelligibly.
 
He had no other choice. Sure, it had never worked before, but that didn't mean it couldn't work this time, right? He would just have to leave her alone. She would be fine without him. Surely. After all, she had lots of other friends. Miroku, for one. Even though he had slightly lecherous habits, he was reliable. Sango, for another. She was strong, and she was extremely protective of Kagome. And she had Shippou - the little guy probably couldn't do anything with his kitsune-bi, but it was better than nothing, and he loved her as his surrogate mother.
 
And… he hated to admit it, but she could even rely on half the other youkai and ningen in the school. There was an air about her, something that made everyone want to love her. And he resented that with all his heart. Everything that was leftover from Kagome, anyway. He chuckled, remembering a time when he had thought he loved Kikyou. Never mind that, though. She was gone, dead, no, worse than dead. She had betrayed him.
 
His resolve hardened. Even if it wasn't what Kagome thought the best, it had to be. He couldn't risk getting hurt again. Quickly, he pushed that thought away as well, replacing it with the excuse of Kagome needing better than him. After all, it was very true. Heaving a sigh, he leapt out of his bedroom window, white curtains trailing after him.
 
Bounding along the wall, he paused outside of Kagome's room, watching her carefully. After all, he reasoned, she wouldn't know that he was ever there! It couldn't hurt. And she needed protection, after all. Sango was probably sleeping, and, as strong as she was, she was still human. Yes, he decided, no one would ever notice if he kept watch over Kagome at night.
 
He traced her features with his eyes. Perfect little noise, the full mouth, and those large, beautiful eyes. He loved the color of her eyes - blue, and gray, and everything else. He watched her as she breathed, stirring her hair. Her hair, too, was beautiful. Dark as a moonless midnight, and softer than silk. He wondered that such a beautifully delicate girl could have such a fierce attitude against everything she thought was unfair. Laughing, he sank onto her window, watching her through the glass and hoping that she wouldn't wake up.
 
Or perhaps that she would. He didn't even know anymore. He wished - hoped - that one day he would, be he was practical enough to discover that he knew it never would. So that was that.
 
8888888888
 
Kagome sat up in her bed, stretching. Her tank top stretched across her curves, revealing the pale, smooth skin of her stomach. Yawning, she swung her legs over the edge of her bed. Ah, Saturday. The day of absolute bliss. Best day of the weekend really. Though Sunday and Friday come pretty close…. Covering her mouth with one fist, she stumbled out of her room, down the hall, and into the bathroom. Moments later, the shower turned on. Kagome shrieked at the sudden cold water, and jumped out. Sango, in her own bedroom, quickly awoke, as did Inuyasha.
 
He sat bolt upright, as if he wanted to leap out and protect her at that very moment. For a while, he sat, panting. Finally, he relaxed enough to decide that there was no threat. Heaving a sigh of relief, he lay back down. Unfortunately, he could no longer sleep. He tossed back and forth on the bed, finally deciding to just get up and take a shower. He walked out of the door and turned left, heading toward the men's showers. Stretching a bit, he shed his clothes and stepped into the flow of cold water.
 
Kagome peaked out of the door. Wrapped only in a towel, she looked to her left and to her right. Giving herself a miniature pep talk inside her head, she tiptoed quickly across the hall and to the right. She opened her door immediately, and slipped in, heaving a sigh of relief. I am such an idiot. How could I have forgotten my clothes! Thankfully, they had some towels in there or I would have been in big trouble. Quickly, she opened her closet and pulled out some clothes and her bag, cheeks suddenly warming. What if….. Suddenly, she was very grateful that Miroku was a deep sleeper. She pointedly skirted around the issue of Inuyasha's rather light sleeping habits.
 
She dressed quickly, in a baby blue t-shirt with the word “Kawaii” scrawled across it in silver and blue jeans. Quickly lacing her sneakers, she tied her thick hair into a ponytail without bothering to dry it. Shaking her bangs out of her eyes, she skipped merrily out of her room. Walking five steps down, she knocked hesitantly on Sango's door. Seeing as how she was a youkai exterminator in training, she kept good hours - most of the time. If Sango needed her sleep, it wasn't her place to get her up, no matter how lonely she might be.
 
No one answered the door. Kagome sighed and turned away. Sango probably wasn't in her room - most likely, she was training. Never mind that it was a Saturday. Her stomach suddenly rumbled. As it seemed to be around eleven, she decided to check if Miroku was in his room. Quickly, she padded down the hallway. As she raised her hand to knock, a small cough sounded. Immediately, she pinpointed the sound. Inuyasha stood there, with a cloth around his hips. His hair was dripping wet, and he had one eyebrow raised. Blood rushed to her cheeks.
 
Neither moved for a long moment, and Inuyasha made a small noise and stepped toward his door. Kagome immediately stepped away, trying to keep as much distance as she could between the two. Her mouth opened, “Well, I was just going to, um, you know, ask Miroku to breakfast with me, since Sango was busy, and, yeah, never mind, I'm fine! I'll just, er, be going now, yeah…” She spun and nearly ran off, forcing herself to walk at a decent pace at the last second.
 
Nearing the exit, she finally slowed down, panting. Her mind was in turmoil. Oh Kami, I just saw Inuyasha naked! Well, not naked, but almost! That's nearly as good - er - bad! She clutched her head in her hands and decided that now was a very good time to take a nice long walk outside. Yes. She would do that. She slammed the heels of her hands into her forehead, in a futile attempt to bore out the image of Inuyasha dressed in naught more than a towel.
 
Think of something else… anything else… Miroku in a Speedo! Her mind cleared as she fought the urge to giggle. Relaxing very slightly, she squared her shoulders and walked out into the sun. Basking in the glory of the light, she stopped paying attention to the place she stood. She glided down the sidewalk, swinging her heavy ponytail back and forth, from side to side. A half-smile lit her countenance, making her seem like the purest of angels. A smile, a laugh, a giggle. From a window a few stories up, two golden eyes watched her carefully, basking in the warm glow her smile cast over him even when that beautiful smile was not even directed at him. His hard face softened. Even if I can't be with her, I can watch her. I can protect her.
 
Oblivious, Kagome waltzed on, drawing a few glances from shocked people. They all quickly looked away again, perhaps because they recognized the air of beautiful innocence around the girl. Perhaps because they felt the weight of Inuyasha's glares. Either way, Kagome remained oblivious to the world, happily humming the words to a song that, one way or another, she loved. Mayhap it was only because the book in her song, like the book of her life, was still halfway unwritten.
 
She scolded herself for such a nonsensical thought and continued down the sidewalk.
 
 
88888888
 
 
Kagome slipped off her pink shorts and tank top, changing into a red and white uniform. Though most people didn't wear the assigned uniforms, she had today. Why? She felt like it! She giggled madly, drawing a few stares from people around her. She glared. A few of the demonesses smirked and quickly disappeared. Kagome was in a bad mood, and edging into heat, and that did not bode well for those pesky humans.
 
A few minutes later, a pack of girls staggered out of the locker room after being given the tongue-lashing of their lives, after apologizing for whatever it was they did, and a few things that they didn't do, like Inuyasha ignoring her (not that she mentioned his name). Kagome had finally stopped and stalked away like a haughty queen, still fuming.
 
She hadn't seen Inuyasha for an entire six days. Sure, that wasn't a whole lot, but considering that he lived down the hall? Plus, she had gone out to lunch with Miroku and Sango just yesterday, and seen them both quite a bit. Well, Sango more than Miroku, but still! Not a glimpse of him.
 
And she was getting frustrated. She wanted to apologize for whatever it was that she had done wrong, and then they could be friends again! She missed the stupid jerk. Worrying her lips with her teeth, she stalked out of the hallway and into the next. Suddenly, a small flare interrupted her thoughts. Inuyasha's aura. It was weak, a bit, and small, like he was trying to suppress it. This only fueled her anger.
 
She stalked off in his direction, still carrying her little gym bag. The aura disappeared. Kagome cursed under her breath, furious at the little prick. Still mumbling, she turned and walked out the door. Fury waged war with slight worry - was something wrong with him? Maybe she should have tried to talk with him more. After all, there might have been something wrong.
 
Did he know how to suppress his aura? If he didn't… did that mean that someone was doing it for him? Kagome snarled, hefting the gym bag a little higher on her back. Miroku was going to pay if he had done that. If he helped Inuyasha hide from her…. There was going to be hell to pay.
 
Suddenly she stopped, resting her head against the wall. Why was she thinking like this? Sighing, she walked on, her feet carrying her automatically toward the doors of her dormitory buildings. Sighing, she pushed open the glass doors and walked in. She spared a passing glance at the packed elevator and began up the stairs, wearily counting her steps.
 
One… I wonder what Inuyasha's doing now… Five… Six… Seven… Is he mad at me…? Eleven… Twelve… Does Sango know? Eighteen… Does Miroku? Twenty-seven… Does he hate me? Thirty-five… What did I do?
 
By the time she reached the upper levels, she had worked herself into an agitated frenzy. Automatically, her feet carried her past Inuyasha's door and to hers. Her hands fumbled with the keys, almost dropping them twice and missing the keyhole numerous times. Finally, the keys slipped in. She turned them first right, then left, and walked into her room.
 
She looked around. And around. And suddenly she decided that she really hadn't spent enough time in her room. In no time at all, she had tidied up her desk and made her bed. Deciding that she was an absolute slob, she attacked her shelves and closet with the urgency of a drowning woman. She washed the glass windows, cleaned the lights, washed the floors, and dragged her clothes down to the laundry.
 
Eventually, she collapsed onto her bed, exhausted. Unfortunately, she was not exhausted enough, apparently, because she still thought of him and she still couldn't escape into the oblivion of sleep. Ignoring the gong of the dinner bell from the cafeteria, she started on her homework. Thanks to her extreme powers of procrastination, she had two essays to write and notes to take on five sections in three different books. She began work.
 
The next morning, when she was coherent again, she would wonder why she had pushed herself so hard just to get the thought of him out of her head. Instead, for now, she scribbled and typed as if her life depended on it. She finally collapsed onto her desk, unable to keep her eyelids propped up for a second more. The morning light found her, and she stirred grumpily. It was a nice dream, she decided. Inuyasha had held her, and kissed her, and told her that he would love her no matter what. Yes. It was a good dream.
 
The knock on her door sounded again and she realized what had awakened her. She stumbled over to the door, realizing that she was still wearing a dusty and crumpled uniform, and opened the door, leaning against the doorframe. Thank Kami for Saturdays. She yawned though her eyes crinkled with a slight smile, “Hey, Sango-chan.” Sango peaked around her at her room and shook her head, “Kagome, are you at it again?”
 
Kagome blushed and looked down. This had happened twice before since her freshman year had begun, both times when they had shared a room. However, then, Kagome had cleaned the entire kitchenette, living room, bathroom, and two bedroom complex. After that, she had baked two dozen brown sugar cookies and two cakes, and went on to make a seven course meal. All over Inuyasha, even though in the end she had invited him over to help finish all the food.
 
“Come on, Kags, tell me what he did this time.” Finally, Kagome sobbed it out on Sango's willing shoulder. The woman was furious, to say the least. She patted Kagome's back and let her get it out, then placed her back in her bed to sleep. Sweeping magenta eyes around the sparkling clean room, she sighed at the amount of absolute cleanliness. It was almost disturbing.
 
Shutting and locking the door softly behind her, she closed her eyes, taking deep breaths. Her eyes suddenly snapped open and she glided down the hall like a ghost, melding into the shadows. The hunt was one, and the hunter would never give up… Her prey? The person who had hurt the only girl who had ever taken down her barriers in less than a day. Inuyasha. A feral smirk crossed her lips, revealing glistening white teeth. Her tongue flicked.
 
If Miroku were there, he would have thought here sexy. If anyone else were there, they would be wetting their pants. Preferably with blood. Her eyes flickered… He was going to pay. She slid her knives out of their sheaths. Oh, yes, he would pay.
 
 
88888888
 
 
Nice Little Author's Notes:
 
 
I really, truly, sincerely apologize for not updating. Well, I've been kinda-sorta banned from the internet. Apparently I spend far too much time reading and writing fanfiction. Yep.
 
I actually have a nice, written out plot line now! The story might actually seem like its going somewhere… hopefully. Don't get your hopes up.
 
And, finally, I have a new story! So far, it is nameless, but when I have a name I shall begin posting it. Thanks!
 
Hmmm… thought that was my last note. Apparently, I'm wrong. Anyways, I was sincerely hoping for at least five reviews. I know there is more than one person out there who favorited me. I checked mm.org and ff.net. Yet, I only get one review half the time (Thanks, Pokiepal!). It's annoying.
 
Well, this is approximately thirty minutes and lots of changes later - I think I'm PMSing. I read over the story and noticed the random jumps in temperament - especially Sango's last. That's okay… Isn't it?