InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living Weapons ❯ Explained ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Living Weapons
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Company; they belong to Viz and Rumiko Takahashi. This is a fictional work and any relation to events or persons, living or dead, is completely coincidental.
 
Summary: Four tools of gods - healing, destruction, wisdom, and control - are reborn on earth with no memory, but retaining their skills. At their inevitable meeting, which path will they choose?
 
Chapter summary: Sango deals with Inuyasha, and they discover some rather vital information. In the end, it is Inuyasha who has the choice to make. Can he do it?
 
Chapter Eight: Explained
 
Sango padded down the hall, heading toward Inuyasha's room. The demon inside of her licked its lips with a serpentine tongue. Sango clamped down on the bloodlust before it left her a mindless creature. Reaching the door, she jerked the locked doorknob hard and smiled. The stupid school didn't even protect its own against the techniques it taught. The door slid open obligingly, and Sango melted into the room.
 
Glimpsing Inuyasha, she dove at him without warning and pinned him against the wall. She smiled. Inuyasha gulped. “Sango, what the fuck do you think your doing?” She smiled, “What did you do to Kagome?” Inuyasha looked away, “What the hell do you mean?” Sango just smiled at him, “I think you know what the hell I mean. What did you do to Kagome-chan?”
 
Inuyasha sighed, “Look, it's none of your business, all right?” Sango slammed him into the wall, “It's my business when my best friend is sleeping on her bed because she spent the night crying her eyes out.” Inuyasha looked slightly guilty, “She cried.” It was a statement, not a question, but Sango nodded anyway, “She also obsessively cleaned her room and finished enough homework to last until next month.”
 
Inuyasha looked at the floor, defeated, and Sango let him go, shoving him. “I hope you're happy with yourself. I hope you are proud that you broke her innocent heart. This is the third time this year, you know. The third time she's worked her to exhaustion. All because of you. All because of you.” Inuyasha looked shocked, and then just furious. “She's been doing what?”
 
Sango laughed unbelievingly, “Don't pretend you didn't know. Remember the seven course meal she cooked?” Inuyasha looked even angrier, though the calm, controlling Sango in the corner of her brain noted that there was a tinge of worry. A thought asserted itself. Maybe he does care, a little. Sango choked it back. I know he cares. I also know that he won't do anything about it. So he obviously doesn't care enough. I'm annoyed, I'm frustrated, and I'm going to go insane if I don't destroy this remaining energy.
 
She pushed him into a chair, “Think about that - I have a girl to comfort.” She turned to leave and he grabbed her arm. “Wait - I need to tell you something.” She turned toward him, “Make it short.” Inuyasha smiled bitterly, “I will, but I think you'll want to know more afterwards.” Sango nodded and sat herself down. Inuyasha stood and went to fetch Miroku from his room.
 
Once they were all gathered in the room, he took out the Jewel, setting it onto the table. Sango and Miroku stared at it and marveled, as their natures depicted. In it, Sango saw her village, slaughtered like sheep, and her brother, taken away with his own sickle sticking out of his back and a the symbol of the spider, of Naraku, the man who had down it all, burned into it. She fought to look away, but the picture changed. Her people stood up again, their wounds healed. They wept and sang and danced, and they were happy.
 
Miroku watched as Naraku pierced a tentacle through the hand of Mushin, of his father, before forcing it into a void that sucked the man in slowly. He watched as his mother cried tears to fill an ocean, and then he felt the blinding pain of that same air void opening in his own hand. He saw his mother's suicide, how, one day, as she chopped vegetables; she turned and sliced through her wrist. And then he saw them again, in the realms beyond, where they were together at last. And he was happy for them.
 
He blinked. “The Shikon no Tama.” It was a whisper, drawn from the depth of his soul, from a life he had never known, yet knew. Tears dripped down Sango's cheeks as she remembered the man who had taught her to hate lies, and those who spoke them. The man who, in the end, had lied to her as well. She saw his face smile up at her, and mouth forgiveness.
 
Inuyasha himself watched his friends. The Shikon no Tama had held no such images for him. Instead, it bore a constant reminder of Kagome, and of his mother. The only two people who had ever loved him for who he was. He paused for a moment, briefly wondering why Sango and Miroku didn't show up as well in the globe, and then realized that they didn't love him. Not like Kagome did.
 
Finally, he coughed to draw their attention to him. Sango sniffled and whispered in outrage, “This is what he wants, isn't it? It's what he's always wanted, all along. That bastard Naraku.” Inuyasha looked up, quickly. “You know him, too?” Sango smiled bitterly, “He slaughtered my people for the sin of denying him the whereabouts of the sacred Jewel.” She laughed coldly. “We didn't know.”
 
Inuyasha sighed, “He orchestrated the death of my father, and ordered the death of my father.” Miroku looked up, smiling cynically. He pointed to his hand, wrapped in rosary beads. “He caused this. I have an air void in my hand. Eventually, it will kill me, just like it killed my father before me. I will die one of the most gruesome deaths known to man and youkai alike.”
 
“Where did you get it?” This was from Sango, a mere whisper. Inuyasha sighed heavily, “Kagome. It was inside her. When she was attacked, it flew out. That's what took us so long, that day.
 
“This isn't her fight. Naraku has done nothing to wrong her - and she is not trained for the rigors of battle as we are. She has nothing to avenge.” His fists clenched. “I won't let her get caught up in this. I won't let her die for a cause that has nothing to do with her.” The Shikon Jewel reflected his fury.
 
Sango rose to meet his challenge. “Kagome has a right to know. The mere fact that the Jewel was inside of her is enough to tie her into this entire story. You cannot deny her that.” Miroku nodded in agreement.
 
If looks could kill, Inuyasha would have vaporized the two humans before him. “I can and I will. She will not die by his hand, that I can promise you.” Miroku looked up, “She doesn't have to. However, I believe that it is simply not right to leave her hanging. How long do you think you can hide it from her? She is far more inquisitive and clever than you hold her to be. She has sources where you can only dream of.”
 
Inuyasha raised an eyebrow. “Oh?” Miroku nodded. “Trust me on this one. She will know. And she will not be pleased.”
 
Inuyasha did not care, that Miroku could see. Sango could see it, too. She sighed.
 
“This is your choice, Inuyasha. Miroku and I have no say in this. She is yours to deal with as you will. I pray you will make the right decision. If you do not… you will find that Kagome is not quite as innocently defenseless as you have been led to believe.” She stood, stretching. “And if you hurt her, what I did to you today will think like love's most fragile kiss.”
 
Twiddling her fingers in a delicate farewell, she left the room, yawning. Miroku looked after her, and then back at Inuyasha, face grave. “I fear that she is correct. If you make the wrong choice, than you may find yourself in more of a pickle than you originally thought. Remember that.” He, too, rose to retire to his bedroom. He closed the door softly behind him, leaving Inuyasha to his thoughts.
 
Kagome… This was the choice he had to make. Would she ever forgive him for it?
 
8888888888
 
Kagome was annoyed, frustrated, and confused. Very confused. In fact, beyond confused. She had no clue as to what exactly was going on, and she wanted to know.
She had a terrible feeling that Sango was hiding something from her, and she wanted to know what it was.
 
She also wanted that stupid wolf demon to leave her alone. Sighing, she felt his aura draw near. She prepared her most diplomatically meaningless smile. “Hello, Kouga-kun. How have you been?” Mentally, she added “Since the last time I saw you, an hour ago.” He smiled at her, showing off sharp, pearly fangs. “Good, thanks. You?” Kagome nodded, “I've been doing well, thank you very much.”
 
He stuffed his hands into his pockets, “As my woman, you will, of course, be accompanying me to a movie?” Kagome stiffened, “Kouga-kun, I'm really sorry, but I'm not your woman.” Kouga just smiled, “Of course you're my woman, Kagome!” Kagome's smile became decidedly forced. “No, I'm not.” Kouga continued smiling, calm as ever. “Of course you are!”
 
Kagome stopped smiling altogether and prepared to flounce away. “Kouga-kun, I am not your woman. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have homework to do!” She flounced away, taking mincing steps. Behind her, Kouga smiled, “Oh, but you are my woman. You just don't understand it yet. No one, and I mean no one, denies the Prince of the Ookami anything. You hear?”
 
Of course, she didn't. But she wasn't meant to, exactly. Kouga's tail flicked as he walked away. Kagome peeked around a corner and wiped her brow dramatically, “Phew…. I thought he would never leave. What's with this `my woman' business? Honestly, if he would just get a clue…”
 
She paused for a moment, considering. “Or ask… maybe I'd actually go out with him if he asked.” She continued walking. “But never like this! The nerve of that jerk…”
 
8888888888
 
A night's worth of good sleep is always appreciated. Always. Especially, Sango reflected, lazing about in bed, after one has burned off a bit of that anger. She rolled her shoulders. Ah, that had felt good. Punching bags just weren't the same… Neither were dummies, come to think of it. Or walls. Or trees. Or any of the numerous other things she had ever tried in a vain attempt to expel energy. Maybe she should release more.
 
She shook her head. No, that was definitely not a good idea. No walls or trees, either. Just a bit of a release sparring would have to do. She sighed. Hardly anyone like to spar with her - it either ended entirely too fast or went on for hours. No, she would have to find a challenge. Something that she could vent upon while appearing perfectly dignified and in control. Briefly, she pondered the idea of using Miroku as a punching bag - he deserved it, and it had the side bonus of knocking him around enough that he wouldn't grope her anymore - than discarded the idea.
 
Not, of course, because she liked him groping her. Quite the opposite, in fact. She mentally nodded. No, of course not.
 
8888888888
 
Kagome was awakened by the chiming of her Hello Kitty alarm clock, seeing (in a rather loud and obnoxiously high-pitched voice) the theme song to the show. She hit the snooze button rather fiercely and lay back down, drifting. The clock rang again.
 
Grumbling, she rolled over and fell off her bed in a tangle of blankets and pillows. Disentangling herself, she stripped off her pajamas and dressed in her miko uniform. Today, they had an examination in Miko Studies, and the teacher had offered extra credit to whoever showed up in the traditional outfit of a Shinto priestess.
 
Nowhere had she mentioned what an absolute hassle it was to get into the outfit, not to mention the terror she felt upon trying to walk in it. Sighing deeply, she lifted her quiver and bow, slung them over her shoulder, lifted her bag, and walked out of the door, fixing her hair into a low ponytail. Since she hardly had time to do anything with it anymore, it had grown out, and actually hung straight from its own weight.
 
She knocked on Sango's door. When the girl told her to come in, she turned the knob. The two girls looked at each other, studying their appearances. Sango was dressed in a skin-tight black suit, with pink armor. Her hair was in a high ponytail, and she wore pink eye shadow. Her boots were black as well, and a sword hung at her waist, while Hiraikotsu hung from its straps on her back.
 
The two girls studied each other for a moment before nearly collapsing from laughter. Holding her sides, Sango gasped out, “You- you look like- like- like- a- a- shrine maiden! Wh-what's with the- hakama?” Kagome mock-glared at her for a moment before collapsing back into giggles. “You- you're one to- talk! You- you look like- like- cat-woman gone- wrong!”
 
Unfortunately, the strength and volume of their giggles echoed down the hall to a certain room. Five minutes after they had begun, a voice interrupted their mirth. “Ladies?” Gasping, they turned around, only to start laughing once more, clutching their sides. Miroku was dressed in a purple robe, with a tiny dragon tail. He had two golden earrings dangling from one ear, and he was holding - wonder of wonders - a jingling staff.
 
He stood there looking both confused and dismayed as the two girls gasped and giggled on the wooden floor. A few seconds later, another figure joined him, forcing the girls into fresh gales of laughter. Inuyasha was wearing billowing red pants and a billowing red shirt. At his side was a sword. His feet were bare.
 
Something about that seemingly insignificant fact set the girls off. Inuyasha looked at Miroku, confused. Since Miroku didn't seem to be able to come up with an answer, he looked back at the two girls. Finally, he walked in, picked Kagome up, bridal style, with her still whooping with laughter, and carried her off. Without a partner, Sango soon stopped laughing as well, fixing Miroku with a death glare.
 
Smiling innocently, Miroku waved at the exit, and the two departed as well, following the hanyou and the - still laughing - miko.
 
8888888888
 
Inuyasha growled. It was lunchtime, and he was having rather large issues trying to find his friends in the mass of uniforms. At least there were very few mikos. It made it easier. He pitied whoever wanted to find Sango - there were very, very many youkai taijyas at this school. At least Sango seemed to be one of the only ones with pink armor. That must help - a bit.
 
Briefly, he considered leaving her, and then decided against it. After all… the Shikon no Tama. Yep That's it. Though, considering that… it was almost completely purple today. Not pink… He briefly wondered it that was a bad thing.
 
As if Lady Fate were against him, Miroku suddenly popped up at his shoulder. “We need to talk - tonight. I'll bring Sango.” Inuyasha shot him a confused glare - something only Inuyasha could really do - and agreed.
 
8888888888
 
Miroku and Sango walked into their dormitory room, glancing at him rather pessimistically. They had changed back into their street clothes, the day of examinations being done and over with. Miroku cut right to the chase. “I wonder if you could perhaps show me the Shikon no Tama?” Raising an eyebrow at Miroku's fancy talk, Inuyasha walked into his room and grabbed it. He tossed it to Miroku, who caught it, glancing rather pointedly at Inuyasha.
 
His face he picture of childish innocence, Inuyasha sat back down in his chair. Miroku examined the Jewel, then showed it to Sango, who nodded, looking rather frightened. With the air of a man trying to prove himself wrong (and not succeeding) Miroku continued to examine the sphere, while Sango alternated between watching Miroku and watching the Shikon no Tama.
 
Finally, Miroku clenched his fist around the Jewel. When he opened it again, it was tinted an even darker purple. He leaned against the back of the chair, sighing. Sango looked at him for a moment, “It seems that you are correct as always, monk.” Not even in the mood to tease her for such a statement, Miroku only replied, “I only wish it were not so.”
 
Inuyasha, who had been amazingly silent throughout this exchange, glared at the pair. Miroku exhaled loudly and slowly. “I suppose it is best that I explain. Perhaps I should start at the beginning?” Inuyasha was about to protest, telling him to cut to the important parts, but Sango shook her head. He shut up.
 
As if he had not noticed this exchange, Miroku began.
 
“Midoriko was a warrior priestess, the strongest of her kind ever born. She and her husband lived from day to day, battling the youkai who would incessantly attack the two. Because of this, she was never able to bear a child.” Here Miroku made a sorrowful face, probably imagining the horrors of never `carrying on the family line.'
 
“One day, hordes of youkai attacked them in a cave. Her love died before she did, and it is said that she let everything she had loose in a final purification, using her very soul. What was left after everything had been cleared was a sparkling pink jewel.” Miroku raised his hand to ward off Inuyasha's interruption.
 
“Soon after, the jewel came into the hands of another priestess. She was killed, as was the next, and the next, and the next. The jewel gradually became tainted, as black as the midnight sky on the night of the new moon. Finally, it came into the hands of a priestess named Kikyou. She purified the jewel, but was killed in an attempt to guard the Sacred Jewel. She took it with her to the afterlife.
 
“I do not know what happened after Kikyou died, but I do know this: the gods have granted Kagome with the Jewel, Inuyasha. While in her body it was pure, untainted. Since it has come into your hands it has become darker and darker, day by day.
 
“It is time to give the Jewel back to Kagome. You knew this would come.”
 
Inuyasha nodded, whispering. “I knew it would - I do not like it. Kagome is so innocent, so pure. I don't think I could stand it if she died, like all the others. What if I couldn't protect her?” His eyes begged for an answer. Sango laid a hand over his, on the table. “It is her choice to make, whether she chooses to accept this burden or not. You cannot carry it for her - it will destroy you, and the world. You cannot make this decision for her. You must understand that.”
 
He nodded, gulping. “I do.” Sango smiled, “It is still your choice to make, though. The Jewel has chosen, in some way, to come to you. You have protected it, and at this school it is mostly safe. However, when Kagome gains the Jewel, who knows what will happen? Her power is strong. She may yet survive.”
 
He shook his head. “What if she does not? What if…” Sango shook her head. “Don't worry about it. I'll protect her, and Miroku, too! What is there to fear?” He just shook his head. Obviously, there was something to fear. Sango knew it too. She sighed, shaking her head. “There is no assurance in life. She could die crossing the street tomorrow. If she dies now, at least she will know that she dies for something. Isn't that the best one can do?”
 
He nodded numbly.
 
8888888888
 
RoS: I'm so sorry that this took so long! I've been caught up in school, piano, and church. It's been such a hassle trying to get through everything. I've redone my entire plot line though, and I should be finished writing by the end of summer.