InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love Handouts ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer: I don't own InuYasha or any of the characters therein. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!
 
A/N: Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.
 
 
 
 
Love Handouts
 
Chapter 2
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
By nightfall everyone had eaten. Sango and Kagome had made a trip to a hot spring which was near by. Miroku had tried to spy on them… and returned with a nasty red print on his face, which was sure to last for days! The tins were all washed, and now… everyone was going to their respected places for their night of rest.
 
Miroku, of course, was leaning against a tree on the outskirts of the little perimeter. Sango slept closely near by him, a few feet closer to the fire, snuggled up to a full-sized Kirara. I was perched up in a tree, as was my usual spot. Shippo, the little runt, was sleeping on the end of Kagomes' sleeping bag. And Kagome… Kagome was in her sleeping bag, looking tiredly up at the stars, and pretending… for some strange reason to be asleep.
 
`I know she has to be upset with me still, from the way I acted earlier. But I just can't help it! Damn these stupid feelings! That makes no sense what so ever! If they are even feelings! Urgh! What the hell am I supposed to do?'
 
InuYasha hung his head, running his hands over his eyes, and bringing them through his hair. He just really couldn't get his thoughts straight! He loved Kikyo didn't he? That's why he was so adamant to go after Naraku and avenge her death! That's why he always tried to protect her… right?
 
 
*
*
*
 
Kagome was lying in her sleeping bag, looking lazily up at the night sky. `It's always so clear over here,' she thought as she looked up at the multitude of glowing speckles adoring the twilight heavens. She saw movement out of the corner of her eye, and she focused her vision to see what it was that could have brought her out of her daze.
 
Looking pointedly in that direction, but not so much so as to alert the others, her eyes landed on the red clad figure lying sleepily in the tree tops. `What has been up with him lately,' Kagome huffed quietly to herself. `He has been acting so strange. One minute I think he wants to talk to me, and the next he is giving me the cold shoulder,' she thought as she snuggled deeper into the confines of her overnight bed… mildly irritated at the hanyou above.
 
`Why do I let him get to me so much,' Kagome pondered to herself. `Why do I let the one man, which has hurt me more than any other… get under my skin as much as he does?' She sighed when she began to get frustrated at herself… and at the sourly half-demon.
 
Slowly, almost on purpose, a smile started to make its way across her visage. `It's because I love him,' she thought quietly to herself. `And no matter, how stubborn. How childish. Or how much he hurts me, I will always be there for him.' With that resolve in place she glanced back to the tree, where she knew the white haired man was perched… and gave her head a small nod. Affirming to herself… and to him that she would keep that promise, and with that… she allowed sleep to take over, and bring her to a land were worries and problems lose all hold, if just for a couple of hours.
 
And she welcomed it.
 
With open arms.
 
*
*
*
 
He heard Kagomes' breathing start to even out, and had to glance down in her direction once more. Her face held so much emotion from during the day.
 
Sadness, was very prominent on her face this morning.
 
Anger and frustration were there this afternoon.
 
And longing… he was almost positive he saw longing earlier, before they all started to pack up for the night.
 
But that is what confused him most of all.
 
Why would she be longing?
 
What would she have to be longing for?
 
It just didn't make sense. And why should he care anyways! That was another thing… that was getting really annoying! When did he start to care about her?!
 
InuYashas' eyes widen at the realization that he just declared to himself. `I care about Kagome,' he thought as he once again looked at the raven haired girl.
 
The realization wouldn't have been so profound… if it was just the fact that he tolerated the girl, like he tolerated the others.
 
But with Kagome, it was different somehow.
 
Deeper.
 
She had something special in her, that no others could compare to. Yes, she could get feisty, and she had way too many damn emotions to deal with, but without those… she just wouldn't be the same.
 
She wouldn't be her.
 
She wouldn't be Kagome.
 
InuYasha had to grin a little, at all the times she had gotten flustered over when he grabbed her hand. And the time she got so mad that she yelled sit off the top of her lungs way too many times to count!
 
The grin fell from his face as he thought about her tears. Those damn awful things! He hated when she cried, and what was even worse… was most of the time, he was the reason she would cry.
 
He had to scowl at himself at the realization. He couldn't stand himself.
 
He was nothing!
 
Worthless!
 
A half-breed!
 
And yet… he took a deep breath calming himself from the soothing scent Kagome gave him. `And yet, Kagome still cares,' InuYasha thought to himself before he went down the road of self- loathing.
 
She always has.
 
And with that he closed his eyes and let sleep claim his mind for the night.
 
 
*
*
*
*
*
 
 
A/N: Thanks for reading. Just a note, please read the prologue. It's new, and though it might look like just a summary there is significance in there for this story. I want to thank the lovely girls that have been helping me with this story, lil6ter and Sovereignty, thanks guys, you are the best! Hope you enjoyed! Please Review! I really would like to know what everyone is thinking about this story. So if it's just, “I like the story” or just telling me to update, it will at least let me know that people are reading it, and they want more. So please leave something!