InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Go Kagome…It’s Your Birthday… ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 33 - Go Kagome…It’s Your Birthday…




The birds were singing as they frolicked in the branches of Goshinboku, branches that were once again adorned with beautiful blossoms as they bloomed in between the hordes of green leaves that provided a shield for a certain hanyou boy as he reclined high up in his favorite branch. During mornings like those, he could almost forget the stench of smog that polluted the air, or the continual buzzing of the traffic that created said smog. It was two weeks after the spring equinox, and that meant three things. One, Mating Season had officially begun, calling on him along with every other creature in nature, except for the stupid humans who seemed to be immune, lucky bastards. Two, it marked exactly three years since the day he first met Kagome, when she woke him, and released him, from the spell that should have kept him pinned for all eternity. That also meant, of course, that three, it was her birthday. Her eighteenth birthday, to be exact. Kagome had explained to him that in her time, she was technically still considered a child, until her eighteenth birthday, when the “laws” gave her the same rights as an adult, whatever that meant. In his time, you were considered an adult as soon as your body matured into one, no matter what age in years you happened to be when that happened. For some girls, it was as young as twelve, while for other “late bloomers” it was as old as sixteen. Kagome had already been an ‘adult’ when he’d met her, as far as he was concerned, though granted, she’d certainly continued to mature, physically, over the last three year. She may have been an “adult” when he’d met her, but now…she was a Woman.

She’s my woman… he smirked in his brain, taking Kouga’s line. Then a frown creased his face. Stupid wolf, did you really get yourself killed? He decided that as soon as they were able to return to the feudal era for an extended length of time, that they’d go searching for the mangy wolf. Kagome’d never voiced a desire to do so, but he knew it ate at the back of her mind, believing herself responsible in some way, for having allowed him to keep the jewel shards for as long as they had, rather than simply taking them from the wolf as they should have done.

Inuyasha’s thoughts switched gears then, when he detected the scent of his mate heading back up the path to the shrine. She was back from the clinic. After confirming she was alone, he jumped down from his perch, not receiving a startled gasp when he suddenly appeared before her, because she’d picked up his scent as well.

“Hey…” she smiled happily, “You’d better get changed,” she added, noting his fire-rat attire, “The party is in about an hour.”

He lowered his ears, that were currently visible, at the reminder of that “party” thing they were supposedly having that day, whatever that was. I mean, sure, he knew what a party was, in his time, but he had no idea what to expect in her’s. Kagome’s mother had told him that all of her closest school friends would be coming over, and that there would be food, and music, and games, and presents. It was going to be a downright celebration!

```````````

Staring at his reflection, a soft growl escaped his lips. When the image of his mate appeared behind him in the mirror, his posture relaxed somewhat, as he closed his eyes and savored the sensation of her wrapping her arms around him. The DJ had already arrived, and the music was loud, really loud.

“Why do I have to do this?” he asked for the tenth time.

“Because you’re my mate, and I said so.” she answered for the tenth time, no longer having any reservations over seeming dominant.

Inuyasha lowered his ears in defeat, though they were currently hidden now, beneath a navy blue bandana. To help with his sensitive hearing, Kagome had given him some cotton balls, but though they helped, they didn’t help much. Unfortunately, his ears simply weren’t designed for standard earplugs. If he weren’t so cranky over being forced to wear blue jeans, he may have found her crack about not wanting to risk the earplugs getting lodged down inside his ears lest she be forced to take him to the vet, amusing… however, he quickly got over his grumpiness when he felt her start to rub him through the thick fabric of his denim pants.

“Better stop that Ai…” he growled, “Or you’ll be late to your own party.”

Under normal circumstances she would have taken his teasing only half-seriously, and may have continued to rub him further, however, she was quite aware of what time of year it was, and didn’t want to push her luck. When he warned her that he wouldn’t be able to stop himself, he was telling the truth, he wouldn’t be able to stop himself.

Stepping back from him, she admired his reflection, the dark blue jeans matching his bandana perfectly, while the black shirt with white writing that said “I AM THE EVIL TWIN” made her want to laugh. Kagome herself was wearing a pair of tight fit white wash jeans, with a figure hugging brown princess-cut shirt that said in pink “Must have been my evil twin.”

Turning to the door, she opened it, and immediately the music was ten times louder. Inuyasha had forgotten that Kagome’s hearing was about as acute as his own, until he saw and felt her wince. He flashed her a look meant to ask if she was okay, but she quickly shook it off, and smiling brightly and sincerely, stated “Shall we?” while gesturing towards the hallway. Taking a final glance at Tetsusaiga, which was currently leaning up against the wall in her room, he moved to follow.

``````````````

Once outside, the music honestly wasn’t as bad as he feared it would be. He didn’t understand a single word of any of the lyrics, as Kagome had explained the songs were in English, however, she also explained that the lyrics weren’t really important, and that the songs were just about the beat, just for dancing, and that most of the lyrics were sexual in nature. At his raised eyebrow she translated one for him, saying “Push me, and then just touch me, so I can get my…satisfaction…” She giggled at his look of understanding, but then flustered when he leaned into her ear and whisper “Later…” Her friends all wondered why her face had suddenly gone so red.

Ayumi was there, with Hojo, the two of them now an item. Yuka was also there with Tojin, and Kagome smiled at the engagement ring she saw. A few other friends were there as well, ones she didn’t hang out with that much outside of school, but did share a few classes with, and had grown to like as acquaintances. They stayed only long enough to drop off a present, eat some food, and leave, it seemed, but Kagome didn’t mind. She’d miss all of her friends, and was glad that they’d come to say goodbye. She let it be known throughout school that she and Inuyasha were planning to wed after graduation, and that she’d be moving away. Looking around for her third best friend, she finally spotted her, as Eri arrived, arm and arm with another girl whom Kagome recalled seeing around school from time to time.

“I’m so glad you could make it.” Kagome offered with a small hug that was quickly returned. Eri then backed away, smiling brightly, and said “I wouldn’t miss it for the world!” She then turned to the beauty at her side and said “Kagome, this is Ayame, Ayame, this is Kagome.”

“Iris huh? What a pretty name…” Kagome said politely as she bowed, then shook the girl’s hand in the western tradition. “I know another girl by that name.” she stated with a smile that those closest to her would recognize as forced. Ayame simply nodded and smiled, saying “Nice to meet you.” then moved off with Eri to deposit their presents on the table and help themselves to some soda and cake.

“Kagome, are you all right?” Inuyasha asked as he came up behind her, having heard the girl’s name.

“I’m fine.” she insisted, smile in place as she reached down to take her mate’s hand, intending to lead him towards the cake as well. But he stilled her movements when he placed his other hand atop theirs, and looking her seriously in the eyes for a moment, he said “We’ll look for him.”

She nodded, and smiled a softer, yet genuine smile, as she whispered “Thank you.”

``````````````````````````


Inuyasha didn’t understand this type of dancing at all, it wasn’t like any dancing he’d ever seen before. It was more like…mating. Glancing off to the side where Kagome was sitting and enjoying her ginormous slice of cake, he saw how her foot tapped along with the beat, and could only guess that she wished to dance as well, but…could he maintain himself? Looking back on the dance floor, he saw how Ayumi danced with Hojo, how Yuka danced with Tojin, and how Eri danced with Ayame, those two seeming to have the most fun of all. The few other strangers that were still there were also having a good time, as well as Souta with his girlfriend, though those two were more toned down, thank the gods! The DJ yelled something again, something about wanting to hear some noise, at which request everyone shouted out in delight, flailing their hands in the air, including Kagome. Making up his mind, he marched over to her, and extending his hand as he bent down, asked “Care to dance?” with a smirk on his lips and a seductive twinkle in his eye.

“Think you can handle it?” she asked, teasingly yet seriously, all at the same time.

“Keh, I’ll be fine…” he assured, then added “Just…don’t be expecting to get any sleep tonight.”

At that, Kagome giggled, and setting down the carcass of what was once a beautiful slice of cake, she took his hand and allowed him to lead her onto the dance floor.

He gyrated with the best of them, not needing any dance lessons to know those moves, as the techno mix played long into the night.

```````````````

Kagome opened her presents before the evening came to a close, and Inuyasha sat back with a permanent smile as she thanked her friends and gave each of them a hug. Most of her presents were clothes, jewelry, makeup or perfumes, but even though they were things she likely wouldn’t be wearing much, if at all, once she moved permanently into the feudal era, she loved each and every one of them, just as she loved each and every one of the friends who had given them to her. When Eri walked quietly over towards Inuyasha and asked him where his present was, his response of “I’ll give her my present later…” caused the girl to blush, wink, and scurry back towards the others. Inuyasha just chuckled and shook his head.

It was a couple of hours later, when everyone had finally gone home, and the Shrine grounds were relatively cleaned up, that Kagome and Inuyasha finally decided to retire for the night.

“Phew” Kagome said as she plopped herself on the bed, “Good trial run, I suppose. Our wedding will be about the same, except even larger, and with different music.”

“I kinda liked that music.” he smirked

“I could tell.” Kagome joked, recalling the bulge he’d had in his jeans throughout most of their time dancing. The cut of pants he wore kept it from being plainly visible, but she felt it on several occasions as they rubbed together.

Approaching where she sat on the edge of her bed, he leaned down and whispered seductively in her ear, “Ready for my present?”

A rush of color flooded her cheeks, and Inuyasha smirked at her reaction, overjoyed that he still had such an effect on her even after they’d been mated a full year.

Kagome was confused when Inuyasha stepped away, and moved to retrieve something that he’d apparently hidden in her closet. Wait…he’d gotten her an actual present?

Returning to her side, he sat down beside her on the bed, placing the delicate parcel in her lap. Kagome recognized the silk wrapping instantly to mean that the gift was from the feudal era. Well, she decided, that made a little more sense. She couldn’t imagine him going shopping in her time, though she wouldn’t have put it past her mother to assist him in that aspect.

As she unwrapped the package, she could tell that it was clothes, and had expected to see a kimono of sorts, so she was surprised when the opened bundle in her lap actually revealed miko garb.

“I don’t understand.” she mumbled.

“What’s not to understand?” he asked tenderly, “You’re a very powerful miko Kagome, and should be dressed like one.”

“But…I thought…” She was having difficulty forming words, trying to hold back the tears in her eyes that were threatening for various mixed reasons.

“You thought that I hated you in these types of clothes, right?”

She merely nodded.

Wrapping an arm around her, he pulled her gently against his chest, as he reached up and smoothed her hair.

“I used to.” he admitted, “I used to say, do, and feel a lot of stupid things.”

“I won’t remind you of her?” she asked timidly.

“You’ll always remind me of her.” he answered. He could feel her stiffen in his embrace, but he continued softly nonetheless. “You remind me what love truly is, compared to what I used to think. You remind me that I’m okay the way I am, in how you don’t wish me to become human.” He felt her start to relax, and smiling softly while inhaling her scent, he continued still. “Your continued presence reminds me of how I almost lost you, and how I can’t take a single day we share for granted. Each and every day, your love reminds me that I made the right choice.”

Pulling himself back slightly, he maneuvered her face so that she was looking directly into his eyes as he said “You remind me to believe in second chances…That I am worthy of second chances, in friendship, and love.” Leaning forward, he gently brushed his lips against her own.

“That….” she started, struggling for words, she was so touched, “That was…”

“Rehearsed.” he finished for her, chuckling. She chuckled to, understanding her hanyou’s usual abilities of speech. Leaning herself forward to kiss him then, she took the miko clothes from where they lay across her lap, and holding them to her, she said “Thank you.”

“They’re not just common material too, if you hadn’t noticed.”

Puzzling over his statement, she closed her eyes and concentrated for a moment, discovering that she could feel the slightest presence of a demonic aura from the clothing, just as she could from Inuyasha’s fire-rat kimono. She then fingered the material, and raised an eyebrow at what she discovered.

“The hibakama are made from fire-rat fur, just like my hakama and suikan.” he said, adding “But while my kosode is normal silk, your chihaya is made from the silk of a youkai spider.” He smiled at her amazed expression. “It’s just as resilient to flame as the fire-rat, but it’s also virtually impenetrable.”

He illustrated his point by attempting to pierce it with his claws. It bent and stretched around his hand, like a commercial for those special anti-tear trash bags. It simply wouldn’t rip.

“The more force you apply, the more resistance you meet.”

He illustrated his point again by having Kagome hold up a sleeve, pulled taut in her hands, as he sliced at it with more force. His hand bounced back as if he’d slapped at solid rock, and the fabric hardly gave at all.

“If you ever get shot at again, the arrow will simply bounce off.” he stated.

“I doubt anyone else would ever fire an arrow at me.” she whispered, still in slight awe at what she held in her hands.

“You’re the mate of a hanyou. I know we haven’t received much resistance, yet, but we’ve been lucky.” he insisted.

Kagome merely nodded, understanding his concerns; concerns which were likely valid. Besides, even if a human never attacked her, a youkai may, for several reasons, one being simply that she is a powerful miko who represents a threat as far as most youkai would be concerned. She also still carries the completed jewel, which they won’t be purifying for a few more months yet. If this material can hold up against Inuyasha’s claws, then it should hold up just fine against anybody else’s, as well. But she still had one more question…

“How?”

Chuckling, he admitted, “It wasn’t easy.” Her expression of amazement only intensified as she listened to her mate’s story.

“The fire-rat was simple enough. I certainly have their scent imprinted in my brain.” she chuckled at that. “I know where they live, so I went hunting. Once I had enough pelts it was only a matter of trading some additional pelts and meats to get the clothier to make the hibakama.”

She nodded her understanding, then asked “And the chihaya?” holding up the long-sleeved top.

“Not as simple.”

She was concerned when his expression suddenly lost all amusement, but relaxed when he saw it and winked at her reassuringly.

“Remember last week when you had to go in for three days for those tests and I stayed in the past?”

She nodded, remembering all too well. She hated the feeling of being separated from her mate by time, but he’d insisted that there was something he absolutely needed to take care of.

***Flashback***

He only had three days, and he knew the construction alone would take one, so he had to hurry. Leaping from tree to tree he made it to the boarder of the Western Lands in record time. He wasn’t too worried about tracking his brother down; he knew that once he detected his presence, he would find him. It was only a matter of hours before he felt his brother’s aura approach, and he leapt out of the tree he had been crouching in.

“Inuyasha…what business do you have in my lands?” asked a stoic monotone voice as the Taiyoukai made his appearance, a small human girl half visible from where she stood silently behind her Lord.

The imp was less respectful of his Lord’s wishes, and spouted off “Impudent half-breed! You have no right to-”

“Jaken.”

“Y-yes M’Lord?”

“Stay with Rin.”

Sighing, the little green man muttered “Yes, M’Lord.”

Heading off into the woods, he gave no indication that Inuyasha was to follow him, but the hanyou knew better, and silently followed, having yet to utter a single word since his brother’s arrival. Once they were well hidden within the deep foliage, Sesshoumaru turned to his half-brother and said, “Now, you will answer my question.”

“I…I need your help with something.” he mumbled quietly

Sesshoumaru did not respond except to raise an eyebrow.

“I need the silk of the youkai spider.” he explained.

Sesshoumaru looked down at his own outfit, which consisted solely of this material, save for his armor, boots, and pelt.

“For?” he asked, raising his eyebrow further.

“Chihaya for Kagome.”

“You wish to construct demonic miko clothing… how amusingly contradictive, just like your very being.”

If Inuyasha hadn’t known better, he would have thought he saw his brother smirk slightly.

“Can you help me or not?” he spat, not appreciating being ridiculed.

“And what would you give this Sesshoumaru for compensation? Youkai silk is not inexpensive.”

“If you’re after Tetsusaiga then you can just forget-” His rant was cut off

“I no longer desire your sword. To own a sword I cannot wield would prove most pointless.”

“I…I don’t own anything else.” His voice was barely a whisper.

If Sesshoumaru felt a twinge of guilt he hid it well. In truth, Inuyasha owned half of their father’s estate, not that Sesshoumaru wished to share, nor did Inuyasha wish to have anything to do with the Western Lands himself, this already made perfectly clear. But he was royalty, whether he was unaware, or simply denied it. Not only was he the son of the Inu no Taisho, his human mother had also been a Hime.

“I do not seek financial compensation.” Sesshoumaru finally stated.

It was then Inuyasha’s turn to raise an eyebrow. “Then what, may I ask, do you seek?”

Sesshoumaru had to once again stifle his emotional responses. Inuyasha had sounded so much like himself in that moment that it had startled him. The miko certainly had had an influence.

“Simple,” he began, stating, “You and your miko are strong, and it would prove more prosperous for this Sesshoumaru to call you allies rather than enemies.”

“You want an alliance?” Inuyasha rephrased for clarification.

Sesshoumaru nodded the smallest of nods before continuing. “Should enemies of the West once more show themselves over the course of time, you shall be required to fight.”

“Does my village get your protection in return?” the hanyou asked skeptically.

Sesshoumaru failed to conceal his amazement that time. Inuyasha was quite intelligent. He hadn’t just jumped blindly into the arrangement because it would have gotten him what he wanted at that moment in time, nor did he dismiss it outright, believing it a trap. Instead, he appeared to be actually considering it, as if the two were engaged in a mature negotiation.

“This Sesshoumaru would not dishonor himself by joining a one-sided alliance.”

“A simple yes would have sufficed.” Inuyasha chuckled, earning a raised eyebrow from his older brother. “Can I ask you something?” he asked next.

“You just did.”

“Funny….” he grumbled sarcastically, “Can I ask you something specific?”

“Yes”

Raising an eyebrow at that, Inuyasha quickly lost all expression of amusement, and Sesshoumaru could instantly tell that whatever his half-brother had to ask weighed heavily on his heart; even more so than asking for his help with acquiring the youkai silk.

“Do you…I mean…did you…” He paused, closing his eyes and breathing evenly.

It was then Sesshoumaru’s turn to raise an eyebrow at what appeared to be a quick meditation on his brother’s part.

“Did you truly want me dead all of these years, or was it some sort of test of strength? You could have killed me so many times, yet you never did.”

Sesshoumaru raised both eyebrows in amazement again, then after a moment, a small smile formed on his lips. Inuyasha didn’t know if he should be relieved, or really, really scared.

“Inuyasha…” he started, “My detest for your human blood was quite genuine, as was my disgust that our father would sacrifice himself to save you and your mother.” He paused, noting the shocked look on his younger sibling’s face. “Were you not aware of this fact?” he asked with a hint of surprise.

Shaking his head in the negative, Inuyasha explained, “Myouga said that Ryuukatsusei killed my- I mean our father.”

Ryuukatsusei inflicted mortal wounds that father, being immortal, would have survived. However, he did not permit his body the time necessary to heal, choosing instead to go to your mother, who had gone into labor the same night as his battle with the dragon.”

Inuyasha’s eyes were as wide as saucers as he nodded tentatively for his brother to continue.

“Father believed you and your mother were in danger, and he was correct. He stayed and battled in the burning castle while he enabled her to escape with you, and died as a result of that battle.”

A single tear leaked down the side of Inuyasha’s face, but Sesshoumaru was good to ignore it, as he continued still. “I resented your existence, because father gave his life for you. I was supposed to be the one to slay him.”

“What?!”

“It would have been an honorable battle, and in my victory I would have surpassed our father in power.”

“So I was right after all, stupid Kagome…” Sesshoumaru heard his brother mumble quietly to himself.

“What do you mean?”

“Kagome thought you spared me out of love, stupid wench, since we’re the only family each other has, she said. I told her you didn’t care about me. Joking around I admitted that maybe you were testing me, but only because you were making me stronger so that I would one day be worthy of killing.” Shaking his head, he mumbled “You actually still want me dead by your hands, don’t you? Bastard…” He then turned his back to leave, calling “Forget about the silk, I’ll ask Myouga where to get some.” over his shoulder.

He was stopped when his brother was suddenly in front of him.

“If you go to the flea, your gift will not be ready in time for her birthday.”

Inuyasha didn’t even care how Sesshoumaru apparently knew the things he knew any more, he just wanted out of there, sorry he ever came in the first place.

“It doesn’t matter.” He moved to step around his brother to leave again, but was stilled by his brother’s hand (his only hand) placed upon his shoulder.

Inuyasha refused to look his brother in the eye, standing there staring straight ahead, waiting to hear whatever it was Sesshoumaru had to say, and then leave. But what his brother said threw him for a loop.

“Your mate was correct.”

“Na-Nani?” He turned to face Sesshoumaru then, the Taiyoukai dropping his arm at his side.

“At first, I chose to believe you did not exist. When I cast you out as a child, I truly believed you would not survive. However,”

His eyes shown with some kind of emotion, but Inuyasha was so unused to seeing emotions of any kind in his brother’s eyes, that he had a hard time identifying it, until he decided to secretly scent him. Remorse?????

“This Sesshoumaru believes his previous views may have been in error.” he stated simply “I do not like repeating myself,” he stated next, addressing himself in the first person again, adding next, “But I would rather call you an ally than an enemy.”

“So would I.” he eventually whispered in response.

“This Sesshoumaru has never before apologized…” he began next, but was cut off.

“Well then don’t start now, wouldn’t want you to hurt yourself.” The smirk in his eyes was back.

Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow, easily able to tell the joking nature of his half-brother’s statement.

“Besides,” he added, “If you apologized for abandoning me, then I’d have to apologize for cutting off your arm.”

Sesshoumaru merely nodded in understanding, and silently, the brothers forgave each other.

“About the silk then…” Sesshoumaru finally started after a moment of silence had passed.

“Yeah, I have to go back in three days.”

“It will be ready tomorrow.”

“Thank you.”

***End Flashback***

“So he went wherever it was he went to get his clothes made, and the next afternoon he showed up with the completed chihaya.”

Inuyasha noticed the tears swelling up in his mate’s eyes again, and asked frantically “Oi! Now what’s wrong?”

But Kagome only pulled him into a tight embrace, and he understood….