InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Leaving so soon? ( Chapter 42 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 42 - Leaving so soon?




The next morning was greeted with an overall air of satisfaction. Sesshoumaru emerged from his private chambers as cool and collected as how he’d entered them the night before. Kagura was soon to follow, hair styled up and neat, her shimmering white and red yukata matching Sesshoumaru’s colors. As the pair silently made their way towards the dining hall for their breakfast, they passed by the chamber that had been assigned to his half-brother and his small family. Neither youkai could ignore the scent that seeped from within the room, nor could either suppress their knowing smiles.

Passing the chambers he’d assigned to his human ward nearly three years prior, he paused at the fresh scent of the kitsune. While he’d known that the whelp had obviously required a different chamber in which to retire for the night, considering how comfortable his parents had chosen to make themselves in their stay, what he hadn’t known was that he would remain well into the next morning. Ordinarily, he never knocked, knowing from his keen hearing when Rin was dressing, but under the circumstances, he thought to bestow the small honor upon his young, but growing ward.

“Yes?” came her sleepy reply, and it was then that he chose to slide the door open.

The sight that greeted him threatened to break him of the stoic mask he’d adjusted prior to entering, his desire to smile simply too great. There was Rin, his little sleepyhead, still in her futon. Shippo was oblivious to the world around him as he slept soundly, a luxury few orphaned youkai whelps were privy too. The kit was truly lucky.

The Taiyoukai observed the scene before him with great consideration, before deciding to approach his daughter’s bed. There, Shippo lay curled in a ball, his small form almost making him seem more as a pet, though the Western Lord knew better. Though neither child was old enough yet to emit scents of arousal, nor truly have their minds contain such thoughts, it was quite clear to Sesshoumaru that young Shippo was developing feelings for his Rin. That, he decided, would be addressed at a later time.

“It is time for breakfast, Rin.” he spoke softly.

“Hai Lord Sesshoumaru, Lady Kagura…” she gestured, bowing her head slightly as she sat up in her bed, preparing to stand.

“Rin,” Kagura started

“Hai, Lady Kagura?” she asked, softening her voice to merely a whisper as Shippo still slept soundly near her side on the futon, though the youkai present could both tell he was still out like a light.

“You don’t have to suddenly call me Lady, sweetie.”

“I do,” she answered, blushing, since she had in fact been previously referring to Kagura as simply that. “Since it is true.” she added. “You are now Lord Sesshoumaru’s Lady.”

Kagura smirked, and glanced sideways at her mate. His expression was void of emotion, as usual, but he did offer her the slightest of nods.

“When we are alone, Rin, with no visiting formals in our presence…” he began, the girl’s eyes widening as if predicting what he was about to say, “Such formalities are no longer required.”

“M-My Lord?”

“Sesshoumaru.” he corrected.

“Shippo was correct, my dear.” Kagura stated next, glad she’d bumped into Wenying in the bathhouse that morning. “I would love for you to think of me as a mother.”

Rin’s eyes widened, as did her mouth, as she posed herself for catching flies. Sesshoumaru offered her the smallest of smiles, as he leaned down and gently shut her jaw. She blushed profusely, and decided to change the subject by quickly rousing Shippo by shaking him on the shoulder.

Shippo yawned widely, showing off his fangs. He then opened his eyes, and looked up. Like a startled cat, he leapt vertically a good five feet before quickly scurrying to stand on the floor in a low bow, mumbling apologies under his breath.

Sesshoumaru, not being one for showing emotions, or at least not so many all at once, had Kagura do it for him, as the wind youkai laughed heartedly at the kitsune’s antics.

“Care to join us for breakfast, Shippo?” she asked between her chuckles. The kitsune blushed horribly, then turning back to face Rin, he found her missing, as she’d already ducked behind the screen in the back of her room for changing.

Shuffling his furry feet, he mumbled that he’d love to, and as soon as Rin reemerged, dressed in her traditional day-yukata, the two children followed the adults towards the dining hall.

````````````````````````````````

Breakfast was well underway when the other ruling Lord of the West decided to stroll in, mate in tow.

“Morning you two!” Shippo bellowed happily as he shoved another bite into his mouth.

Kagome chuckled, before a mild panic over took her, wondering just what Sesshoumaru’s reaction to her kit’s sudden lack of table manners was going to be. But it was only the six of them present, she noted, besides the servants in charge of bringing them their food, so she decided to relax once she realized that the Taiyoukai seemed to all but ignore Shippo’s foolhardiness. She also began to feel mild embarrassment at the sight of Shippo’s attire. He was, after all, still dressed in the same kimono that he’d worn to dinner, though it now had several more wrinkles than it did the previous evening. She knew at least Sesshoumaru could smell what had transpired the night before, and so why Shippo had not changed was rather obvious. She felt grateful that nobody seemed to bring the matter into discussion. She supposed they let it go under the circumstances, considering she and Inuyasha had not been the only ones to engage in that type of ‘activity’ the night before, and her still fairly newfound sense of smell didn’t lie to her, either, when she realized that the two of them had performed the blood-bonding, as well. To her understanding, the bonding was something normally done between a powerful and weak youkai, or in her case, a youkai and a human, if it was performed at all. But Inuyasha did tell her once how two youkai mates of equal stature could still perform the ritual as well, especially in the case of the youkai being of different breeds from one another. It wasn’t that Kagura was weak, far from it. Her powers were far superior to those of the common youkai. However, she did lack the keen senses of her canine companion, and so that had obviously been the reason the bonding was deemed necessary. Kagura now possessed Sesshoumaru’s sharp hearing and sense of smell, as well as a rudimentary knowledge of the instinctive inu tongue. Sesshoumaru, for his part, found it suddenly much harder to properly mask his emotions.

“We will be heading out after breakfast.” Inuyasha said suddenly, breaking the silence.

“So soon?” Rin asked disappointedly, looking up at them. Kagome nodded her head in confirmation.

Shippo’s “awwwwwwww” could be heard by all. Rin giggled.

“Sorry honey, but we have to be getting back.” she offered her child.

“But you don’t have to go back to your time for two more weeks!” he pouted, not realizing exactly what he’d said until it was too late.

The looks of panic that rose across the faces of both Kagome and Inuyasha were instantly recognizable by the other two adults present, but Sesshoumaru quickly waved his hand in such a manner as to dismiss the kit’s unthinking words.

“So the rumors are true.” he stated simply, while continuing to eat.

“Word gets around, huh?” she asked sheepishly, smiling toward Shippo to let him know that she wasn’t upset with him.

“Indeed it does, however, most would likely choose not to believe such a tale.”

“What have you heard?” asked Inuyasha next, wanting only to know exactly how much information had been leaked over the years.

“Only that your miko is said to be a visitor to this land, this time…” he emphasized, adding “…and that she is the reincarnation of the miko who sealed you.”

“But nobody knows how she travels back and forth?” he asked, unable to hide the panic in his voice, and basically admitting that the rumors were true.

“Not that I have heard.” he answered, raising an eyebrow.

“Good.”

Inuyasha didn’t much like the idea that an enemy may have found out about the well. Though, he supposed, once Kagome moved to his time permanently, it wouldn’t really matter that much any more. They could probably seal the well to insure nothing else was ever able to pass through it.

“Care to elaborate?” Sesshoumaru asked, his eyebrow still raised. He didn’t feel comfortable knowing that his brother didn’t feel comfortable sharing such a secret with him. He understood all too well the reasons why, but he wanted to at least make an effort to erase some of the damage he had done over the years.

“Since when are you mister talkative?” Inuyasha asked, but there was a lightheartedness in his voice that put the elder inu-youkai at ease for the moment.

“Try to understand,” Kagome started next, “It isn’t so much for myself, but for my family, that my secret must stay safe. Inuyasha and I may not be the only ones able to travel to my time, and I have to protect them.”

Sesshoumaru nodded his understanding to her explanation, then raised his hand above his head, and all the servants instantly vacated the room. The sound of a closing door could be heard in the echoing hall.

“My staff is loyal, but none can be too careful when wishing to protect their family.” he paused, eyeing Inuyasha in a manner that was not lost on those present. “Though we may never meet, your family is now an extension of my own, and with our alliance, and my vow of protection, also comes the protection of your secret. In order to do that properly, I must know what it is.”

“Well,” she started, eyeing Inuyasha carefully, but though he seemed reluctant, he nodded to her in a way that stated, it was her decision. “I suppose it doesn’t really matter too much, since I’m almost done traveling between times anyway.”

Sesshoumaru nodded for her to continue.

“In our village, there’s a tree of ages, it still exists in my time. There’s a well there, made from its wood. It still exists in my time, also.”

“This well is the portal?” he asked for clarification. Kagome merely nodded.

“It shall be protected.” he stated simply, as if it were the easiest thing in the world for him to guarantee.

Silently, he was thinking that it made a whole lot of sense. That explained why that after Myouga had been in Inuyasha’s village for a couple of days with no sign of either of them, he had suddenly returned, but only with word that Inuyasha’s mate had family matters of which to attend before they could depart. At the time, he hadn’t been aware that the miko even possessed any family.

“After we purify the jewel,” Inuyasha spoke up this time, once again breaking the silence and pulling Sesshoumaru from his thoughts, “We won’t be traveling through it any more, for fear that it won’t let her return here again.”

That time, Kagura was the one nodding her head in understanding. She’d hate it if something ever trapped her away from her mate.

“Still,” he continued, “There’s a possibility that, if we can’t seal it, something else could one day get through to Kagome’s time, and if something ever happened to either of us before we lived that long, then there might not be anyone to protect her family in the future.”

“How much of a time span are we talking about?” Kagura asked.

“Five hundred years!” Shippo bellowed happily, eagerly awaiting the day he finally got to see his mother’s time.

“That doesn’t sound so bad.” Kagura voiced lightheartedly, “We should all easily live to see that time.”

Kagome and Inuyasha nodded absently as they continued eating, but Kagome’s heart was suddenly pulled from her chest when they all heard Rin’s low mumble of “Rin will not.” But Sesshoumaru did not miss the way Shippo had placed his hand gently upon the girl’s in that moment, comforting her with his eyes, and somehow, he couldn’t help but wonder if Rin truly wouldn’t find a way to live that long, after all.

``````````````````````

Gathering up her backpack and arrows, Kagome was once again dressed in her miko clothing. Little Shippo was in his standard garb as well, as was Inuyasha. The visit had been fine and all, but he wanted to get out of the west and back to his village.

They were just preparing to head out through the open doorway of their temporary bedchamber when Sesshoumaru appeared within it. His face bore his usual mask of indifference, but he could not fully hide the emotions from his voice when he asked

“You cannot delay your departure?”

Sighing, Inuyasha flashed Kagome the look but the miko merely shrugged back towards the Taiyoukai after glaring back at her mate, and asked “Why?”

“Rin had expressed a desire to show Shippo the castle grounds.” he stated.

“I suppose we could stay for a day or two.” Kagome mumbled, not having missed the way Shippo had been looking at Rin throughout breakfast, or the way he now looked at her, begging her with his big green eyes.

“Feh” could be heard, which prompted Kagome to turn back to her mate, and ask “Just a day, or two?” It was now the miko who was giving the hanyou the “puppy” look.

“Thought you were in a hurry to go to the mountains? Don’t you want to make sure Kouga’s alright?” he asked, trying to think of another reason to get them out of there as quickly as possible, since Shippo had gone and spewed at breakfast that Kagome wasn’t required in her world for two whole weeks.

Oh yeah…Kagome thought. They had been planning on heading up north before returning to Kaede’s village, and who knew how long that could actually take.

“The wolf prince is unharmed.” they suddenly heard Sesshoumaru state.

“Really?” Kagome asked, her voice beaming with genuine happiness, while Inuyasha raised an eyebrow and asked “How do you know?”

“Because,” Kagura stated, having appeared in the doorway behind her mate, who never did enter the room the others were still poised to leave. “Naraku had ordered me to slay him.”

Kagome and Inuyasha both sported drop jaw expressions as Kagura went into a quick explanation of how Naraku had sent her to slay the remaining wolves and retrieve the jewel shards. Kagura said that while she did fight Kouga, successfully slicing the shards from his legs, she used her most mildest of attacks, leaving him with only the smallest of wounds that would easily heal. Even though Kouga threw all he had at her, as did many others of his pack, including his mate Ayame (Kagome smiled at that information), Kagura explained how she never fought back, defending herself only. As she had prepared to leave, Kouga had shouted at her, angrily asking why she refused to finish what she’d started. He knew it was her who had slain his fellow pack members back when she’d been newly created. Kagura grimaced at the reminder her retelling of this gave her, but she continued nonetheless, as she told Kagome of how she’d yelled down from her feather that she knew that nothing could make up for the loss of life she had caused that day, but that at least she could rest in peace knowing she hadn’t caused any more death at Naraku’s bidding. She hadn’t known at the time just how literal the term “rest in peace” would become. She went on to explain briefly how Naraku had slain her, and how Sesshoumaru revived her, inviting her to stay with him. If Kagome didn’t know any better, she would have sworn she scented embarrassment from Sesshoumaru at hearing Kagura retell the tale, but the wind youkai at least had the decency to stop the recap right after she’d joined residence in the estate, and did not go into details of how the two actually chose to become mates.

Kagome sighed in relief at having learned that Kouga and the other wolves were in fact okay, though she still felt as though she’d like to, at least eventually, go and see him again. Especially since he was mated to Ayame now, and as such, Kagome didn’t think Inuyasha would perceive the wolf as a threat. But the trip to see them was no longer as urgent as it had once been, and could now wait until she was done with school and had moved to the past on a permanent basis, so as not to risk running late for one of her return trips. Smiling, she glanced down at Shippo again, who was continuing to give her his version of ‘the look’, which she then passed along to her mate.

Inuyasha sighed in defeat, grumbling to himself, as he finally caved and said “Fine, one or two days.”, he emphasized. Kagome smiled, and nodding, set down her backpack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days later, he had to admit, hanging around in his brother’s home wasn’t so bad, especially after he managed to accept the fact that it was, in truth, his home as well. Though I still prefer my home… he emphasized in his mind, reminiscing of the cute little (yet not so little) hut that they’d built near the Goshinboku.

In a weird sort of way way, having this family home as well made him feel more like Kagome. They each had a larger, very different and complicated place that they’d come from, each coming together to make their own home in the simple little village that would, one day, become Tokyo. He knew Kagome often thought of how alike they were in the sense that they were each a part of two worlds, yet not truly belonging to either, finding themselves in each other so that they were truly no longer alone. Sighing, he didn’t know why he was suddenly feeling so mushy. Yet, then again, he was pretty sure that he did know why…as he glanced out the window into the darkening night, the thinnest sliver of a crescent moon trying desperately to illuminate the wonders his night vision permitted regardless of such low lighting.

He sighed again.

There, in his line of vision, was his son, playing with his brother’s daughter. Did that make them cousins? Not by blood, since both children were adopted. But from what Kagome told him her “woman’s intuition” had said, those two may one day become joined by blood, in other ways.

He’d asked Shippo about it that morning, and the kit had shrugged it off, stating… “I dunno, Otou-san. She’s awful cute for a ningen, and she smells nice too, but…I don’t wanna do nothing she don’t wanna do.”

Already taking in the human female’s consideration? Putting her desires before his own? No doubt about it, Shippo was in love.

Inuyasha chuckled silently to himself as he observed the pouty expressions both children were sporting when that old panda youkai decided it was time to break up their fun for the night. He had to slap his hand over his mouth to keep from laughing out loud when, behind Wenying’s back, Shippo transformed himself into a duplicate of the elderly woman, and shimmied his body in the same manner that she herself walked, as she lead the children back towards the castle. He popped out of the illusion before Wenying had turned around, but with Rin’s roaring laughter, he was sure that the youkai knew that Shippo had done something

He sighed again. Shippo was not going to be happy when he announced that they had to leave tomorrow, no ands, ifs, or buts.

Glancing back toward the futon where his mate rested soundly, having worn herself out from when she and Shippo taught Rin how to play tag, he had to wonder what she had been thinking, and not about the child’s play.

Kagome hadn’t seemed to have had much of a problem with telling them about the well. While he’d conceded that it was her decision, her secret to tell, he still couldn’t really believe that she’d shrugged the whole thing off so easily. Her words as they’d settled in for merely their second night in the castle echoed back to him as he gazed upon her in that moment.

“Sesshoumaru’s right, in order to protect my secret, he has to know what it is.”

He had argued that just because they’re in an alliance, that that didsn’t mean that they should completely let their guard down, but her logic had slapped him in the face yet again.

“Your brother is nothing without his honor, and he has openly announced your partnership in the Western rule. He is not about to go and do anything that would jeopardize his own status as Taiyoukai, such as dishonoring a vow, otherwise you would have a legitimate cause to rise against him and take over your father’s estate.”

She was right, and he knew she was right, but still… Trust Sesshoumaru? With his secret? He would have to make his mind up pretty quickly. If they were planning on leaving, they’d better do it by the following evening, otherwise, his secret would tell itself without his consent.

Maybe, he pondered, that way would be easier. He couldn’t think of how to breach the subject, anyway, so why worry? Then again, that wasn’t exactly the kind of thing you just wanted to spring at somebody out of the blue.

No, he realized, as a fourth sigh escaped him. He would have to tell his brother before hand. He’d do it in the morning.

Shrugging off his suikan and kosode robes, he crawled into the futon, still clad in hakama. The castle’s newly mated pair had not permitted Shippo to stay the night again in Rin’s room, once they’d learned that the two of them had been up half the night playing, which explained why they’d slept in so late that morning. Kagura lectured the kit that young Rin was a growing human child, and needed a proper amount of rest each night. Surprisingly, or perhaps not, as soon as Rin’s physical well-being had been factored into account, Shippo immediately relented, and complied with their wishes.

Knowing then, that their pup would be returning to their own room, Kagome had told Inuyasha flat out that they weren’t going to be engaging in any further ‘activities’ while they stayed at the castle. Yet another reason to leave, in his book. His pouting only made Kagome laugh, though. But the truth of the matter was that the young miko did not trust herself around her mate, either, which is why she’d specifically requested that Inuyasha remain clad in at least his hakama. She wore her garb as well, the impenetrable material preventing any possible nightly mishaps when one or both of them might be too drowsy to recall where they were.

Detecting Shippo’s approach, he remained motionless save for the involuntarily movements of his ears, as he heard Shippo slide open the door to their room, enter, and slide it closed behind him. Shippo could tell that while his father was awake, his mother was not, so he remained quiet as he carefully climbed into the futon, settling himself in for the night.

The following morning was rather uneventful, at least at first. As the group ate breakfast, they were joined, for the first time, by Jaken, as the imp apparently had important word for Sesshoumaru, who excused himself at one point in order to hear what the small youkai had to say, only to return moments later and resume eating, brows furrowed. Jaken did not reenter the dining hall with his Lord. The little guy had seemed to be making himself scarce lately, but one could only assume he was jealous. After all, he was no longer his Lord’s number one traveling companion, as now that they were mated, Kagura had made it quite clear that she would be joining Sesshoumaru on his inspection rounds.

After breakfast was completed, Inuyasha tried to find a way to breech the subject that he had something he needed to discuss with his brother, but was surprised when Sesshoumaru requested first, that he join him in his study. Raising an eyebrow, Inuyasha followed.

While the children ran to play, Kagome shouting after them to take it easy for a few minutes on their full bellies so that Rin didn’t get sick, Kagura suggested that the Ladies of the West should take advantage of the castle’s private hot spring one last time. A luxury Kagome was sure going to miss, she mused with a smile, as she happily followed Kagura towards the side chamber adjacent to the master bathhouse.



“I’m sure you will likely be departing today, yes?” Kagura asked her casually as their mates walked away.

“Most likely, I’m sure.” Kagome replied.

“Best to get one last good soak in, then. Yes?” Kagura added, laughing light heartedly.

“Yes!” the miko had bellowed joyously, which merely increased the strength of Kagura’s laugh.



Following his brother into his study, Inuyasha lingered near the door uncomfortably for a moment or two while his brother took his usual seat behind his desk and began flipping through parchments.

“There’s…” he tried, “There’s something I need to tell you.” There, that wasn’t so bad.

“It can wait.” Sesshoumaru interrupted, and Inuyasha could tell by his tone of voice, or rather, that he had a tone of voice at all, that something was genuinely bothering him.

“What is it?” he asked, his own voice reflecting the seriousness of the moment.

“Jaken has informed me that Lord Daikomaru of the East is preparing to grace us with his presence.”

The manner in which the words were spat from Sesshoumaru’s lips let Inuyasha know only too well that the two Lords must not be on the best of terms.

“This isn’t good.” he mumbled, more to himself though his older brother heard him.

“Indeed.” Sesshoumaru commented, unaware of his younger sibling’s concerns, as he continued with “Lord Daikomaru is tora, most of his people are one variety of neko or another.” Pausing as he saw Inuyasha take in that information, he then quietly added “He has insinuated that I have dishonored my position, in both mating outside of my clan, and in granting you your rightful title.” He saw Inuyasha visibly pale, but he still continued still. “Lord Daikomaru has verbally challenged my position in the past, but his correspondence now leads me to believe that he may be more serious this time. However, I do not believe he is planning to attack upon this visit, but merely, he desires to visually assess our strengths and weaknesses.”

Inuyasha suddenly didn’t feel very well, at all, and he wondered if that wasn’t what humans referred to as “butterflies.” He was sure that there would be problems, eventually, but so soon? Did news truly travel that fast? They didn’t even have those telephone things from Kagome’s time!

“How did he find out so fast?” he asked, keeping his voice rather low as he attempted to lose his feeling of dizziness.

“Apparently, Neisho is an Eastern supporter.”

“Traitor…” Sesshoumaru could clearly hear being grumbled from his hanyou sibling.

“That is not important at this time.”

“When is this guy supposed to make his grand entrance?” he asked next.

“By this evening.”

Inuyasha paled even more, practically blending into the silvery iridescence of his hair.

“I gotta go.” he mumbled, turning to leave.

“After you inform your mate and pup, I expect the three of you to return for a more thorough briefing. You will need to know how to-” He was cut off.

“No, that ain’t what I meant, I mean I gotta go, as in out of the castle. I’ll talk to you later.”

He turned to leave again, but Sesshoumaru stopped him by quickly reaching out and grabbing his left wrist.

“You will not leave. It is your obligation as ruling partner to assist in matters of this type.” he stated firmly.

“I never asked to be your goddamn partner!” he spat, attempting to break free of Sesshoumaru’s vice-like grip.

The Taiyoukai’s eyes did soften, however, when he noted the strong scent of fear currently drowning out his brother’s other scents. He didn’t know why he was so afraid, but at least he knew he wasn’t deliberately being an ass for no reason.

“Be that as it may…” he began stoicly, loosening his grip ever so slightly, though not so loosely that Inuyasha could easily slip free, “…it was your birthright, and father’s wish.” he finished.

Inuyasha visibly relaxed somewhat, though his nervousness obviously still remained, as he spat “I still ain’t stickin’ around here tonight. You don’t need me. Trust me, my presence would only make everything worse. Tell ‘em I had already left before Jaken told you the news, tell ‘em my mate is sick, my village is under attack, anything, I don’t care, but we’re leaving.”

He forcefully pulled his hand free from Sesshoumaru’s grasp then, successfully slicing the top of his hand on his brother’s claws as he did so. He flinched at the unexpected pain, but when he saw Sesshoumaru flinch as well, his eyes focused on the small, seemingly insignificant wound, as he shrugged it off mumbling “Don’t worry ‘bout that, my fault.”

Sesshoumaru looked as though he wanted to say something else, but he didn’t know what. What had his brother so frightened? To his knowledge, he’d never met Lord Daikomaru before, and he knew for a fact that the Tiger Lord held nothing against Inuyasha personally, other than the fact that Sesshoumaru had let anyone with human blood take up a position of rule over pure youkai. He had dared to call his brother weak, and Sesshoumaru knew for a fact, as he absently glanced sideways toward his empty sleeve, that Inuyasha was, in truth, anything but. Still, he did not press the matter further as he watched his brother turn on his heels and storm out of the study. Glancing down at his claws, small traces of his brother’s blood remained.