InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Be ❯ Early Arrival ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3

It was indeed nightfall when the Youkai palace came into view. The stars seemed to be winking back at Kagome as she stared out the window. The land was beautiful. The fields were greener than green, the air was fresher than fresh, and the villagers were as nice as they could be. But Kagome couldn't enjoy any of it. She had been up tight since Sango told her that she was going to switch places with her whether she liked it or not.

Her mind had gotten even more stressed about two hours ago when Sango made her switch clothes. Now the true princess was slumbering peacefully with out a care in the world, while Kagome was left awake and carrying her burden.

After Kagome threatened the driver about the hitting the bumps he had slowed the carriage down making it a smooth ride. This helped her mood, but only a little. Kagome sat in the dark box wondering how she was going to screw this up.

(Flashback)

She had asked Sango what she had hoped to accomplish by this charade. Sango simply replied, "Kagome you're my best friend but you are also very stubborn and at sometimes disagreeable. But even if that were not the case if the prince just likes you then he won't care about me. So after he likes you then we will tell him our true identities. By this time he will want you and I will tell him you are not allowed to marry him because I command it so. Then we will leave and go back home and tell Daddy that the prince had fallen for someone else and turned me away."

"And what if you like him?"

"I won't. Princes are all the same. Small minded men that want a beautiful body to hold on their arm and would snap back to an hourglass size after having their brats." It was a stereotype, and Sango knew that. But she had met over dozens of princes to discover the same thing.

"My mom was a strong woman and she raised me that way. Just because my dad tolerated it doesn't mean another man would. I would rather rule the kingdom myself then have some pea brained prince screw up Daddy's legacy."

(End Flashback)

Kagome had to admit her temporary lady in waiting had a point. Sango had run off many men when she asked them whether they wanted to spar with her. But that was the way she was. If you didn't like it she told you where to stick it.

The King found this to be one of the qualities that he would have to down play when presenting her to the other royal families.

~*~*~*~*~

The fake princess tried not fidget when they got out of the carriage. She didn't know what to expect. Usually the King would be here and he and Sango would walk away with their hosts as Kagome slipped in the back entrance to get Sango's room prepared.

But now, the King didn't come with them for fear that another raid would break out in his absence. And Kagome could not retreat to the back because they believed she was the princess. `Whata I do?! Whata I do?!', her mind screamed.

Sango stood slightly behind Kagome and told her not to panic. "I will walk you through it." To scared move her mouth, she settled for a stiff nod.

A woman about their height and what seemed to be Kagome's face came up to them. She looked slightly flushed as if she had been running. "I am so sorry your majesty." She bowed. "We didn't expect you for another three days. We have not finished setting up a room for you. You will be taking one of the princes' rooms."

`One of the princes!', her mind screamed. `How many were there! Wait a minute was she putting someone out?'

"Oh no that's okay. I don't want to…." She cut her sentence as Sango loudly cleared her throat.

Kagome swallowed and looked up at the girl with more confidence. "That will be fine."

Sango silently cheered for Kagome as they started toward the castle.

~*~*~*~*~

"Dammit." InuYasha stifled a growl, as he began to gather some personal items.

Muttering a string of curses that would deafen a sailor, InuYasha flicked an ear in the direction of footsteps. They were coming. The dumb girl was taking away his best friend and now his room.

Well maybe it was Miroku's fault that she was staying in his room. The jackass kept cheating when they'd played rock, paper, scissors. There is no way anybody could get seven out of seven. But he would throttle him in the morning when was awake enough to enjoy it.

For now he would blame the bitch for coming to early. Not wanting to meet the stupid girl before he was completely ready, he slipped into the secret panel beside the fireplace.

~*~*~*~*~

Kagome entered the room and was amazed at what she saw. It was breath taking. Who knew that so much red in one room could look tasteful.

"This will do." She hoped that she didn't sound too snobby.

Her double bowed and wished her a goodnight. Now she was alone. The first thing she did was change out of the restraining dress. As soon as she was done there was a light knock on the door.

She rushed or to answer it. Sango was standing in the doorway and tsked at her. "Princesses don't rush to answer a door. You ask who is it at this late hour and turn them away."

Kagome looked crestfallen for a moment then she snapped. "Hey! You don't do that!"

Sango shrugged and entered the room. "Well you're not me."

"Yes I am! Isn't that the whole point of this?" Kagome hissed in a low tone as she closed to door.

The disguised princess looked thoughtful for a moment. "Oh, yeah." She shrugged again. "Never mind."

~*~*~*~*~

`Why does this shit always happen to me?'

The hanyou prince was backtracking his way down the secret passage. He needed to find that concealing rosary. He knew it would be in his room. Why? Because she was in there and he wouldn't be able to get it with out being called a hentai.

How was he suppose to trick this girl if his demonic features gave him away. For the second time tonight he let out a vile string of curses. He paused at the panel. `Maybe she was asleep and he could just slip in real quick…'

His hand paused on the door at the sound of muttering.

"Yeah, well that's too bad."

"At least tell me what he looks like."

"I can't."

"Sango.", Kagome whinnied.

"I can't BECAUSE I had tuned him out by that time."

"Sango!"

Sango marched to the door. "I'm going to bed. Wear something nice."

Kagome reached for a pillow and throw it in the direction of the door.

"And that is exactly why you are not allowed in the weapons training area. Quick temper and weapons don't mix. Goodnight."

Kagome let an aggravated noise escape her lips and stalked over to the bed. The sheets were so inviting. They made her skin feel as if it was in heaven. Maybe she could string this princess thing out a little longer.

With some minor shifting she was soon in the land of the dreams.

~*~*~*~*~

InuYasha didn't hear anymore movement. She must be asleep. The short conversation had been enough to ease his mind.

`So she doesn't know what Miroku looks like. Maybe I don't need the rosary after all.'

He started back to Miroku's room to tell him of his new found information.

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Answer to Yoraeryu

Yoraeryu - Hey girl! I'm glad to hear from you. And I am taking you up on your offer. Revising several times to make sure that there are no mistakes is tiring.

-I can't tell you how long they are going to go before they get together. You'll have to find out.

-After much debate, I decide not to do any Kikyo bashing. (But that doesn't mean I can't make her stir up a little trouble, right?)

-I'll see what I can do with Koga. And I don't know much about Ayame, with the exception of some things I read but she'll be in there if Koga is. (don't be mad if she's OOC)