InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Be ❯ Solving Sango ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Sorry about the wait on this chapter guys. I was adding in some scenes and that got postponed because last weekend we had homecoming. And I had to shake a tail-feather in the stands. We won! We won!

And Rosie13, I'm glad to see you found your way back. I tried to email you but it kept getting sent back.

Warning: There might be over looked errors in here because I have yet to give the revised chapter to my beta readers. I just skimmed it myself. So bare with me.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 8

"Three days. Three days. I have done everything imaginable to make her mad."

"Well maybe if you-"

"I should have left her there."

"Huh?"

"If I had left her out there when she hurt her ankle, she would have hated me. She would have called me a creep, packed up, and shoved off. But noooo….I just had to be weak and-"

"InuYasha. She was crying. You and I both know that is the second worst thing a woman can do to you."

InuYasha looked at him strangely. "What's the first?"

"Well it's a tie really. Between crushing your heart or crushing your jewels." InuYasha unconsciously rubbed both areas. "While I can't say which hurts more because I haven't experienced both to compare them properly. But I assume the heart would hurt more seeing as it will last longer."

Still dwelling on what Miroku had said InuYasha sighed as he walked to the door to carry out what was becoming a daily routine.

"Where are you going?"

"It's time to eat."

"And? They can't start the meal until you get there. What's the rush?"

"I have to get Kagome first."

"Oh, yeah. I forgot."

~*~*~*~*~

She was looking at the view from the balcony. `He'll be here any minute.' Though she would never admit it she kind of liked InuYasha coming to get her. It was like an unspoken agreement ever since she had hurt her ankle.

He would come in and carry her to the dinning hall. And when she was through he would bring her back to her room.

Ever since he had blown up at her the first time about staying where he put her she had complied. And no matter how many times she thought about it she could never tell why she had given into the demand.

Maybe because no matter how you dressed it up, a servant was still a servant. He was a prince and technically had rank over her. Or was it because Sango's plan required that she make him fall for her. Which meant that had to play the part of the perfect trained princess.

But deep down there was another reason that Kagome always quickly dismissed. The tone of his voice when he had came back and found her on the floor had sent a chill up her spine. It was daring her to disobey him again but the tone had also been laced with concern.

She hadn't known that at the time. Kikyo was the one that told her some tricks in reading his moods.

"You ready bitch?"

The disguised servant jumped in surprise. `When did the prince come in?'

He was really starting to annoy her with that. She was doing her best to ignore it but she didn't know how much longer she could handle the pet name he'd christened her with.

~*~*~*~*~

"I'm ready."

InuYasha got up from his chair to get the princess. By now it was a normal thing so no one looked up from their plate or stopped their conversation.

Cradling her in his arms he left the dining hall. He paused once they were in the hallway.

"Where to?"

"Could you take me to the furnace. I still have some business to tend to."

"Down there?"

"Yes, but I need to stop by the room first. I have a pair of shoes I need to pick up."

~*~*~*~*~

Unknown to the pair there were two eyes following them.

`Why does he have to give her so much attention? She was Miroku's problem. He should be the one carting her off to where ever.'

The dark haired servant tore her gaze away from them. She couldn't stand to look at them anymore. The sad part about this was she had brought this upon herself. Suggesting that he become her personal carriage had seemed funny at the time. But he wasn't suppose to be enjoying it. That was probably her fault, too. She had told the princess some key factors at gauging his moods. Apparently she had taken the information and ran with it.

Three days. Just three days and princess had been physically closer to him then she had the entire time she been here. It just wasn't right. She couldn't understand him. She would never know how to comfort with him when he was in a mood. But why did she care?

`I don't look at him like that. I'm…I'm..just concerned. This is all Miroku's fault. He should have been a man about it and taken on his own problems. But InuYasha was just helping him. So why was this all rubbing me the wrong way?'

It wasn't like she was going to be here for long. As soon as she was better he would push her away and things would be like they were before.

~*~*~*~*~

Kagome and InuYasha were under InuYasha's tree. InuYasha sat on his branch while Kagome was curled up at the trunk. He would have preferred not to bring her to his place of solitude, but the fact that he might be tracked down to do more of her bidding made him think twice about dumping her. And now she was down there going on about something, making it hard for him to think.

"…and I thought it was rather funny. What about you?"

"Bitch, what are you flapping your jaws about now?"

She had tried to dismiss this behavior at first but that was the last straw. Before the night was over she going to get some things straight.

"InuYasha, why do you insist on calling me that?"

"Calling you what?"

"That despicable word."

InuYasha brow wrinkled slightly. "You mean bitch?"

Her body shook with disgust. "Yes, that word."

"Because that is what you are."

"InuYasha I am a lot of things but that is not one of them."

"What are you talking about. You were brought up to be one and you came here to show how good of one you are." Kagome's eye widened. InuYasha mentally grinned as he continued. "Were you not taught to do what ever your husband said and to give him as many heirs as he wanted?"

She had to admit that it was one of the reasons Sango had despised about her cushy rank. But to hear it said aloud. And then he had said it in the worst way imaginable.

`I got her now. There is no way she not going to blow up about that.' InuYasha in no way meant the word as an insult, but he knew what it meant to humans. If she took it the wrong way…That was her problem.

"Well I was told that I would have to perform such duties but I still don't see how that connects with that word."

He jumped down from the tree. Maybe he had under estimated her. Maybe she was more like Kikyo than I thought. The revelation was starting to piss him off. The last thing he need was another Kikyo.

"It's getting late. I'm taking you back."

Kagome stared at him. `What was he talking about? It wasn't that late.' And she wasn't particularly thrilled about spending the rest of the day in the room. Well, Sango did tell her to be more assertive.

"I don't want to go back yet."

"Who said I was giving you a choice?", he growled.

"I do not wish to return to the palace yet." She folded her arms, closed her eyes, and turned her head away.

The growling got deeper. He thought about leaving her there but dismissed the idea. If anything happened to her it would be on his head. The bitch wasn't going to get him yelled at. "I said you are going back now."

"No."

The idea of leaving her was becoming more tempting. In a most unprince like fashion, he snatched her up. Usually he would carry her bridal style but since she had angered him, he tossed her over his shoulder. And so the idiot wouldn't hurt herself from the anticipated kicking, he clamped his other arm firmly on her calves.

The pretend princess now resembled a struggling worm as she bobbed and wiggled in his embrace.

"If you don't stop shoving your ass in my face…"

~*~*~*~*~

`Where was she?'

Miroku walked down the secondary hall still keeping a watchful eye. He was just about to turn on to the main hall but shriek stopped him dead in his tracks. Then he spotted an amusing sight, a yelling Kagome slumped over the shoulder of a pissed hanyou.

He chuckled inwardly. InuYasha was not going to live this one down. Spending time with her had been high on the list, so he could feel her out. But from InuYasha's description she was very headstrong, and dealing with someone that was as stubborn as InuYasha was not his idea of fun.

However, InuYasha did have a bad habit of blowing things out of portion. The spectacle that Miroku had just seen didn't seem to be tipping the scale in her favor though. Or maybe dog prince's patience had run out.

It was a pleasant distraction but he still needed to find her. The prince went on with his search. Turning his thoughts to Kagome's long legged lady in waiting. She was defiantly an enigma to him.

She had defended her lady by punching him, but never knew the princess's whereabouts. She would often ask where she was. But stranger still she had clocked him again whenever he "touched" her. Not that he would expect her to do any less but most servants just dealt with it or at the very least hesitated be for lightly striking a prince. But not this girl.

This intrigued him. He had never had his authority disregarded before. It may sound strange, but it felt kind of good. The fact that she was so dominant made him rethink the qualities of his dream woman.

He walked pass the garden but stepped back at the sound of low singing. There she was sitting among the blossoming greenery. She seemed to be making a crown out of flowers. Rin would probably kill her if she saw her precious floral being abused this way.

"You have a very angelic voice."

The maiden turned to see who had snuck up on her at what appeared to be a private moment. A slight blush came to her face as his comment registered.

That was new. He had never made her blush. Laugh maybe but blush, no.

`Maybe I could make her do that again.', he thought to himself while taking a seat beside her on the grass.

"Please, don't stop."

Success! The blush came stronger and longer than before. She fixed her eyes on the handmade crown a started to grace the air with her song.

When she finished she continued to stare at her handy work, not sure of what to do next. Miroku seemed to still be wrapped up in his own world.

`I wonder what he wants.' Sango cleared her throat, in an attempt to bring him back. It didn't work. She was going to have to break the silence.

"Was there something I could do for you, prince Miroku?"

"Don't call me that."

The girl reviewed her statement. She didn't think there was anything offensive in what she had said. "Call you what?"

"Prince."

"But that's what you are. Okay…So how would you like for me to address you?"

The legged servant had quite a vocabulary. The princess probably treated her like InuYasha treated Kikyo. But he doubted the girls bickered like those two. The hanyou and human were like separated siblings.

"Just Miroku."

She remembered when she had asked Kagome to do that. A smirk pulled at the princess's lips. "Alrighty, just Miroku, was there something you needed?"

"I have a favor to ask you." He paused, as if choosing his words carefully. "Since our two companions are going to be occupying each others time….would you consider keeping me company sometime."

`Is he being sincere or perverted?' He seemed to be reading Sango's mind as he answered the unspoken question.

"I don't want you to do anything your not comfortable with, its just….It gets lonely here and with InuYasha off with Lady Kagome, I know I'll be bored." He finished with a pout.

`Awwww. That was so cute of him. Maybe she should. It was kind of boring around here and Kagome was almost always with that jerk…'

"I guess we can arrange that."

He jumped up and lifted her face forcing her to make eye contact with him."Great! So tomorrow we start off with horseback riding, then we'll do something you want to do, and some singing?"

"That sounds delightful.", she breathed out while looking into sparkling lavender eyes.

`Why was it so hot out here all of a sudden? And why I am I having trouble breathing? It couldn't be the perverted prince making her feel this way. Were his eyes purple?'

"Then farewell until tomorrow." And in one smooth motion he went from her check to her hand and lightly press his lips against the creamy heated flesh. Giving her a heart melting smile he strolled away.

After his back was turned Miroku couldn't hide his victory grin. Maybe the hand kissing and the smile had been over the top but he had completed step one of `Solving Sango'.

~*~*~*~*~

"I want to leave now!"

"No. We are not done here yet."

"He violated thou person.", she pouted.

"Kagome that was awful."

"What was?"

"Your wording. Don't do that again. Just hold out at least until you are able to travel."

The true servant continued to pout as she shifted on the couch. Sango picked up the scroll that they had brought along with them. She handed it to Kagome to read aloud while she poked at the fire. It wasn't really cold but the lanterns would not give off enough light for reading in the rapid approaching dusk.

Kagome stared at the scroll for a moment. And the shifted her gaze to Sango. Sango was trying to get settled in on of the chairs.

"Okay, I'm ready.", the dark haired girl announced and sat expectantly.

Kagome continued to stare at her.

"What?" Silence. "Kagome, pleaseeee? It's at the good part." More silence. "Okay I'll try to pick his little friend's brain about some stuff."

Kagome wasn't completely satisfied with the answer, but she knew that any more would be pushing it. She started to unroll the scroll.

~*~*~*~*~

The sun would be up any minute. But Sango had been awake for awhile. Usually she could sleep in late but today she was to excited to sleep. For the first time in her life she didn't have worry about guards or her reputation.

She was going to go riding unshaporned! She could do whatever she wanted. And then he had told her she could choose any activity she wanted. Even if the payment for it was singing.

Singing was something Sango knew she was good at, but it bothered her when other people were listening. Like someone was critiquing her. In the masked princess's mind self expression should be the one thing no one could judge.

Yes, today was going to be lovely. However the Fates must have had other plans. Sango could not find anything that fit in Kagome's wardrobe. Was it possible that she had worn the last outfit that fit?

"No! This isn't fair. Kagome, why did you have to be so heavy chested?"

She scanned the dresses one more time. And came up empty handed. It was to short notice to wash one and dry it. She would have to go get one of her dresses. Did she even have one that was plain enough?

With the hand lantern burning dimly she set off on her mission.

~*~*~*~*~

Smoothing out the stubborn wrinkles in violet dress with the sleeves slightly off the shoulders, she adjusted herself on the mighty steed.

She was still unsure of the destination Miroku had in mind. All he had said was when they got there she'd know it. After that he had been oddly silent. Usually silence wouldn't bother her, but from what she observed of his personality it could not be a good thing.

This trail always made him feel at ease. The forest surrounding all sides of him and sounds of woodland life whispered through the air.

But his favorite spot was where the forest stopped and the earth ended a few feet after. The sun would stream it's heavenly light on to the cliff and in to the valley below.

She was sure to love it. He just had to remember not to touch her. It would be hard and the dress she had on wasn't helping any, but it was of the utmost importance that he do so.

"Miroku?" He turned his head and halted his horse so she could catch up. "Will you please tell me where we're going?"

He simply smiled at her and clicked his teeth and the horse began trot again.

~*~*~*~*~

"You called for me, King Sesshomaru?"

"Yes, Jaken, I have a mission for you." The servant almost leapt with joy. He loved when his lord gave him personal assignments. It would always remind him how important he was in the King's eyes.

"I need you to find out what InuYasha and that human are up to. I know it has to be something bad if it managed to upset Kikyo. And I fear it deals with the princess, but I may be mistaken. Just ensure the little half breed and pervert's scheming don't cause this kingdom a political crisis."

"Right away, King Sesshomaru." The little toad scurried out of the room and almost hit the Queen. She sided stepped him and walked into the room.

"Sesshy where's Jaken off to in such a hurry?"

"It's of no importance."

She was now standing beside him and stared into her husband's face. Rin didn't know why he was lying to her but she learned a long time ago that when he did this it was best she not know.

So she settle for wrapping her arms around him and nuzzling her head in his chest. He automatically embraced her back. It wasn't often he got this kind of time with his demoness. He was so busy with everything that he didn't have time, and when they did find time to be alone the infant prince managed to ruin the rare moment.

Rin giggled as she felt him deeply inhale her scent.

"Be careful. Last time you sucked up a strand of my hair doing that."

Being reminded of the awful experience, he stopped inhaling so hard. But to get her back, he removed his hand from her back and clutched stomach. Then he used his claws to tickle the side of her torso.

"No! No! Stop it Sesshy!", she choked out between laughing. "You ruined my favorite dress that way."

Sesshomaru only ignored her pleads. After, what seemed to be an eon, he took pity on her.

"Do you surrender?"

"Yes!" He ceased his tickle torture and held her until she was able to regain her senses. "Meanie." The Queen pretended to pout.

He choked back a chuckle and allowed a rare smile to grace his lips.

"Was there some reason you tracked me down?"

She nodded. "Two reasons, actually. I wanted to tell you the baby is feeling better. I left him in Kikyo's capable hands. Which reminds me. Talk to your brother. I don't know what they are fighting about but tell him to apol-"

"Is that why your not plastered by the bassinet anymore?" He cut her off before she got worked up and forgot what she wanted to say.

"Yes. And that brings me to my next question. Can you have lunch with me, pleaseee?"

There was nothing he wanted more than to spend a delightful lunch with his mate. But would his schedule allow it? Quickly he mentally reviewed his agenda.

"I don't see why not."

She beamed at him. Standing on her tiptoes she reached up for a kiss, but he still had to meet her halfway. Just as he went to deepen the kiss they were interrupted.

"Sorry for the interruption, my King, but you said you wanted to inspect the new weapons as soon as they arrived."

Rin let her head drop fully displaying her disappointment. The sliver haired king force her face skyward and found himself gazing into wide watery eyes. She already knew what he was going to say.

"Gomen Rin."

He gave her lips a small peck and slowly released her to follow the guard out the door.

~*~*~*~*~

"It's breath taking.", Sango whispered as Miroku helped her of her horse.

"I told you."

"No you didn't. You said I would know it when I saw it.", she argued without taking her eyes of the view.

"Well didn't you?", he countered back.

She rolled her eyes and pushed pass him accidentally brushing against his arm as she passed.

Miroku closed his eyes and mentally chanted. `Don't touch. Don't touch.'

For once his hands obey the command. He reopened his eyes to find her trying to decide whether or not to pier over the edge.

`Surely she wasn't too scared to look over the cliff. This was to good of an opportunity to pass up.'

"What's wrong you scared?"

"No!", she lied. Narrowing her eyes, the dark haired maiden sized him up. "Just waiting for you to go first."

The purple eye prince waved off the statement. "That's okay. I've been here plenty of times. I know how it looks." He took a seat on the grass.

The undiscovered princess seemed to chicken out and sat near him only pausing to fluff out the dress.

"I was planning to show you how to meditate, but I'm in such a good mood I think it might be hard for me to sit long enough show you. Would you mind singing first to get me in the right state of mind?"

"I don't know."

"Please?" Now Miroku was the one begging.

"Are we still going to do whatever I want to do?"

"I promised you we would."

"I want to ride through the village."

That was a strange request but then again as she was proving to him over and again, she was no ordinary woman.

"If that's what the lady wants that's what the lady will get."

Sango wasn't sure why but him calling her a `lady' warmed her heart. She finally chalked it up to the fact that her father was always asking her to act more lady like. A couple of moments passed before she realized Miroku was staring at her.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

The young prince was crestfallen. Had she forgotten already? "Weren't you going to sing for me?"

"I'm sorry. Any requests?"

~*~*~*~*~

The sun was starting to slip over the horizon. They were still a good fifteen minutes away from the palace. Sango was riding in Miroku's lap since they only had one horse now.

(Flashback)

They were still an half a mile away from the village, and the sun indicated it was early afternoon. If they didn't hurry it would be night before they got back to the castle.

"Mommy I'm tired! Can we rest now?"

Where was that voice coming from?

"No. You know that your father and the other field hands are counting on this food."

Sango was the first to turn the corner and was faced with a family of raccoon looking demons. There was a mother and three children. The youngest was and infant that was strapped to her back. Next in line was the complaining 7 year old, she seemed to be dragging her food sack on the ground. The eldest was 13 and he was struggling with his two food sacks as was his tired looking mother.

"But my feet hurt."

The mother sighed. If it weren't for the black mask around her eyes you would have seen the bags under them.

Without a second thought Sango rode up to them and handed over the horse she was riding.

"Oh no! We couldn't. Thank you any way. Besides your dress will get dirty."

Sango would not be refused. "I insist. If not for you then for your children."

The mother was just about to refuse once again but the infant on her back started wailing.

"Alright."

The little girl seemed to be thrilled. She yelled, "Horsey! Horsey! Horsey!", while jumping up and down. Sango patted her on the head and smiled.

"Guess your feet don't hurt anymore. Here would you like to hold on to this money pouch so you can buy the horse some food later?" The girl nodded her head as she gave a gap tooth smile.

With some minor shifting and adjusting they were finally off.

Miroku sat in the background soaking up the whole exchange. He had never seen a more enduring scene in his life. He was still a little dazed as Sango made her way back over to him.

"Is something wrong?"

"Uh, how do you intend to replace that horse?" He was curious how she would answer.

"I'll pay for it." Wait. Darn. She was a servant where would she get the money? Think quick. Think quick. She shifted from on foot to the other. "The princess will give it to me."

"No need to get all nervous. I just wanted to know your answer. I would have done the same thing if you hadn't. Come on." He offered her a hand.

"I'm fine. I'll just walk."

He retracted his hand and gave her a skeptical look. "You do realize it's still a half a mile to the village?"

"Oh.", was her intelligent reply.

"Besides we wouldn't want you dress to get dirty.", he teased. He mind added, `And it will allow me to touch without getting decked.' He offered his hand again.

She brushed off he comment. "A half mile, huh?" He nodded. She bit her lip. "Okay. But if you try anything." Princess held up a fist in warning.

"Have I touched you at all today?"

Now that she thought about it….

She took his hand and once she was positioned they were on their way.

"What was the money for?"

She turned her head to call him nosey, but the smart retort left her mind as soon as she realized exactly how close her face was to his. Once again his purple pupils worked their magic on her.

He must have been mesmerized, also because the next thing she felt was their lips pressed together. Time stopped and the world ceased to exist. The only thing they were aware of was each other.

When Sango pulled back she was having trouble remembering exactly why she was going to fuss at him. `Something about coins…'

Miroku was having his own inner struggle. So he had broken the no touching goal and not gotten pounded for it. Good. The fact that he had had a sample of sweetness only to be waiting in the wings for another taste..bad.

He could tell she was shy about such things. Her kiss had been a little inexperience, but wasn't in any way bad. She would need a practice. And that's where he would step in, being a helpful gentleman.

(End Flashback)

He gazed down at her now sleeping form. Which was a little difficult to do since her back was pressed against his chest and her head was tucked under his chin. His eyes fell upon the scroll in her hand.

He bought it for her because she had given her money to the raccoon family. He found out once they got to the little shop exactly how many scrolls she had read. The poor vendor only had two she hadn't recognized.

The prince was sure she'd devour the literature once she got back to the palace.

The day had been very satisfying. His only regret was not deepening that kiss. But he didn't want to scare her off. And if he had any say in the matter that wouldn't be their last encounter. Maybe he could convince InuYasha not to run the princess off as soon as they planned.

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Hope this chapter was long enough for ya'll. I'm trying. (if you noticed with each chapter they get longer) I know the Rin-Sesshomaru moment really didn't have anything to do with the story but I put it in for the Rin and Sesshomaru lovers.

And if ya'll think the kiss between Miroku and Sango was too much to soon let me know and I'll change it.