InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Be ❯ Return of the Blinding Light ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
A/N: I hope I'm not making a mistake by putting this out now. It's not good enough yet in my mind but if I waited until all my chapters were like that you would still be on chapter 10. I have only had 3 hours of sleep and another 3 hour nap (which I just got up from)…so if there is a problem with the chapter I'll either catch it long after you read it or you could be dears and point them out to me….
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
“Yes you are.”
 
“No, I'm not.”
 
“Yes you are. And that's final”
 
“Who made you king?”
 
He crossed his arms. “I'm a prince that's enough.”
 
“I'm not the one that's bleeding all over himself!”
 
“You are bleeding.”
 
“If you point to that scratch one more time…”
 
InuYasha winced as he rose from his bed.
 
“You're getting checked out.”
 
“Says who?” Kagome challenged.
 
“Says me!”
 
“I'm not going and you can't make me.” She huffed out with her arms folded over her chest.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
She tapped her fingers impatiently against her folded arms. He was the one that was all bloody. Why did she need to be checked out? His wounds meant nothing but a few scrapes on her were life threatening. InuYasha could be such a pain sometimes.
 
There was a light knock before Kikyo walked in.
 
“I'm sorry to waste your time like this. I'm not hurt. Honest. But you know InuYasha.”
 
The woman nodded, knowing all to well what she meant.
 
“I know. When I was first learning to ride, I yanked the reins to hard and the horse threw me off. I broke my arm. He basically barricaded me in my room and when he did let me ride he held the reins and walked along with me.”
 
Kagome laughed. `That sounds like something he would do.'
 
“It's not like that kind of things doesn't happen all the time. But he acted like I was dying or something.” She sat on the bed beside the lady in waiting and began applying some funny smelling liquid to the tiny abrasions on her hands and arms.
 
“It's his way of showing he cares.” Kagome commented softly, thinking about the fight they just had.
 
“Yeah.” Kikyo agreed quietly still focusing on the task at hand. When she was done she smiled and was about to announce that she was finished until she saw the long look on her double's face. “Kagome? Is there something wrong?”
 
Her face wrinkled briefly. The inner battle of her mind told her not to be nosy. That it was none of her business and she might that find out something she didn't want to know.
 
“Were you and InuYasha…Was there ever…?” She looked down. “Never mind.”
 
“You want to know if me and him were-”
 
“No. Don't worry about it. Forget I asked.”
 
“No, it's okay. I'll tell you. You want to know if we ever had a relationship.” The girl nodded. “No. There has never been anything but friendship between us.” Kagome's body relaxed visibly. “But that wasn't my choice. I love InuYasha very much and would have liked to become more.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“Not that he ever knew. It was so obvious that he was blind to it. I think that's why when you came I was so mad at you for getting so close to him in such a small amount of time. I didn't understand it.”
 
“I'm sorry. At first I thought maybe you two were….but InuYasha said that-”
 
The dark-haired servant shook her head. “No need to apologize. I still love him. But I came to realize that there was someone else for me.” Her eyes began to twinkle. “I think I was so busy pining for InuYasha I never noticed Naraku. He makes me feel so...I don't know. Like all he wants to do is take care of me. I know that doesn't seem like much but after everything I do for everyone else, it means a lot to me.”
 
“I see. Forgive me for saying this but the general gives me the creeps.”
 
“I know but despite what people think he is a good man. He does come off as a bit cold sometimes but so does the King. King Sesshomaru has Queen Rin and she is fine with it. Naraku has me and he makes me happy.”
 
“Well then I'm happy for you.”
 
“Now I think I will go get some sleep. I've been so tired lately.”
 
“You aren't getting sick are you?”
 
“I don't think so. I did throw up some meat though. I think it was bad. I should have trusted my instincts and left it alone but Koharu assured me it was still good. I just-”
 
Both women looked toward the creaking door. Then a light more blinding than the sun engulfed the room.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
`She needs to stop getting hurt over him. Since Kagome has been here she has seen the healer more times than she has her entire life.' Sango walked hurriedly through the servant hall. `Maybe I shouldn't have picked at her about Koga so much. It's not like he needed any encouragement. Where was Kagome's room again? It's should be right around here.'
 
Sango rubbed her eyes and blinked.
 
Strange. She could have sworn there was a flash of light around the corner. Then she felt something clamp on to her shoulder. As if on instinct she grabbed the arm of the mystery person and proceeded to flip them over her shoulder. She was just about to unleash the fist of fury on him when…
 
“Princess Sango! It's me! Hiten!!”
 
Sango paused her actions immediately causing her to lose her balance. Once they untangled themselves from the pile of limbs they became from the princess fall she spoke.
 
“I'm so sorry Hiten. I thought you-With the light and everything…I could have really hurt you. Why are you sneaking up behind me like that?”
 
The soldier rubbed his shoulder. “I saw you in the corridor and you look turned around. I was just going to ask if you needed help.”
 
“I didn't hurt you did I?”
 
“Nah. ”
 
“I was just going to Kagome's room.”
 
“Then you are going the right way your highness.”
 
“Thanks Hiten.” She started to walk away but paused. “Did you see the-”
 
“Yes Princess?”
 
“Never mind.”
 
She walked away.
 
Hiten just shook his head.
 
To think if he had just a little more time with her before Prince Miroku started hogging her he would have hit that by now. Just as well. If he dumped her he might have gotten beheaded afterwards. It should be illegal for royals to pose as commoners. Oh wait…maybe it was.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
“Kagome?” There was a knock.
 
Both girls looked at each other for a moment. Neither not really certain what to say. Had they really seen something? Had the other girl seen it too? If so then why didn't the other say something about it? And if I say something first and she didn't see it then will she think I'm crazy?
 
They shook off the thoughts that they both had but never voiced.
 
“Yes, Sango?”
 
“Are you feeling okay?”
 
“Yeah. Kikyo just finished.”
 
Nodding as she gathered her supplies, “Yes, I'm all done. She is all yours now.”
 
“Kikyo was getting ready to go rest a bit. We think she might be getting sick.” Kagome explained to Sango.
 
“Ah, I hope it's not serious. Maybe you should go get a few leeches to suck out the bad blood before it infects the rest of your body.”
 
“I just might do that but I'll give it a few days before I try anything.”
 
“I hope you feel better.” Kagome smiled. Happy that they knew each other a little better now.
 
“Me, too.” Kikyo smiled back.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
InuYasha sat in his room. Kagome had come to bandage him up but had to leave because for some reason or another Sesshomaru wanted to talk to her. Usually that would bother him but he needed time to think.
 
He was tired of this constant fighting.
 
Not that he minded fighting Koga. He loved that. But it was the REASON that they were fighting that he hated. Could he not plainly see what every idiot that valued his life saw? Kagome was his. No one touched her. You only talked to her if you had to and he tried his damnedest not to pound guys that looked at her. He was certain that she would not appreciate that.
 
Miroku's question hit him once again. That had been happening a lot lately.
 
Maybe he should just suck it up and ask her. He wouldn't have to worry about Koga denying his claim anymore. He sat back with closed eyes remembering how it felt to hold her as he slept the most peaceful sleep he ever had in his life. Her indescribable scent that was so uniquely her, the slightest hit of the aroma could calm him down or send his heart in a frenzy with anticipation.
 
And then there was just the delight of being with her. He craved his time with her. When the day ended he was never ready for her to leave. It was like he could never spend enough time with her. Not that every time they were together they did something mind blowing.
 
There were times before they we're put on alert that he would just take her in the middle of the forest and they'd just sit in each other's arms and listen to the wildlife. Who could say they had a great time doing nothing! But it was always enough for them. Enough for her. She didn't laugh or frown at the things he liked to do.
 
Only Miroku had ever done the forest thing with him but he kept wanting to go to that dumb cliff. Sure it was a nice spot but the sun always seem to shine to brightly in that area. It would hurt his eyes, something Miroku did not seem to understand.
 
Kagome understood. She had been the only girl besides Kikyo that had taken the time to understand him. And she could be scary as hell when she got mad. A shiver ran up his spine. He loved to get arise out of her but it just wasn't safe to do when her temper was actually brought out. Until now that is. He smiled to himself at the new information. With the right coaxing he could fix that, as he learned after the stunt Kikyo had pulled.
 
Yes, it was true. There was no denying it now. He was going ask Kagome to stay with him forever. When she came back he was going to propose.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Waves of uncertainty poured off of her. Why was he calling her? Did she do something wrong? What could she have done wrong?
 
What was she worrying about? As far as Kagome was considered she hadn't done anything wrong. She exhaled. `I am not scared of the King.' She chanted it over and over in her head. `So what if he scared his own hair so straight that it barely moves. I'm not afraid.'
 
With her pep talk over she looked up to find she was already in front of the door. Before she could knock on the door.
 
“Come in.”
 
When she reached out a hand to grasp the knob she noticed it was shaking.
 
`Oh great. He speaks two words and I'm shaking.'
 
Opening the door slowly she poked her head in.
 
“Don't linger human. Close the door and sit down.”
 
`“Human”! How dare he! As if I don't have a name. He didn't even look at me.'
 
The King continued to brood over the papers on his desk. “Sit.” She obeyed and waited. Lifting the emotionless eyes to look into hers he began. “I was informed my idiot brother was in a fight. Was that correct?”
 
She nodded but spoke anyway since he looked displeased that she hadn't answered him verbally.
 
“Yes, he was.”
 
“With Lord Koga?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“For the third time since you arrived.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“And each time they have fought so far it was over you.”
 
“Yes.” She didn't like where this was going.
 
“Do you love Koga?”
 
She blinked a moment in shock. Had he really asked her that question with the intent of her answering it? That wasn't any of his business. How she felt about Koga was between her and Koga!
 
“I love Koga very much. He has been my friend for many years. I've helped him in anyway that I can and in return he has done the same for-”
 
Sesshomaru growled causing her to flinch slightly. He was not happy at the sly way she was avoiding his question. Maybe she has been around his brother to long.
 
“Are you IN love with Koga?”
 
“No.”
 
“But you let them fight over you?”
 
“No, I-”
 
“If you do not wish to be with Koga then why do you not make him aware of this.”
 
“I have turned down Koga. Many times.”
 
“Yet he pursues you.”
 
“Yes.” She replied in an exasperated tone. `Why was he beating this topic into the ground? She didn't want the wolf lord. End of story! Leave it at that.'
 
“And you are certain you do nothing to encourage him?”
 
“I haven't done anything that I know of. I'm nice to-”
 
“Yes or no.”
 
Kagome wanted to scream. Had he summoned her to drive her insane?!
 
“No I don't.”
 
“I see. The next time they fight I shall hold you responsible.” He went back to his documents. “You may leave now.”
 
`What! Had this pompous so and so just blamed her for what happened? Like she was supposed to be able to physically restrain the both of them from fighting! She had kept them both from killing reach other. Did that not deserve some credit?'
 
“Bankotus.” The King called the soldier forth.
 
“Yes, King Sesshomaru?” He entered from the hallway.
 
“It seems this young lady has forgotten how to use her legs.” Never looking up from his desk he finished. “Remove her from my sight.”
 
“Right away your majesty.”
 
He hoisted Kagome up and began to tow her from the study.
 
Suddenly she found her voice. “Hey! Put me down! Sesshomaru, we aren't done talking! How dare you blame this on me! I said put me down!”
 
“Oh yes tell princess Sango she is allowed to move outside the castle walls now. Close my door.”
 
With his free hand the guard shut the door as softly as he could with the struggling girl in his arms.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
“Is there something wrong, Kikyo? You have been tired a lot lately.”
 
Yawning she shook her head.
 
“I'm fine.”
 
Naraku looked down at her propped position on his shoulder.
 
“You're tired. You should get more sleep. Queen Rin couldn't need you for the baby that much. I know that if you told her you were tired then she'd let you rest.”
 
“I'm fine.” She leaned up to kiss him. “Really.”
 
“You are stretching yourself to thin. The King expects too much of you. Although you are to good to tell him that.”
 
“Don't worry about them. You were telling me how the princess' father sent that message a week ago. I had no idea the raids were so bad. You think they will come back? That's the only thing I can think of. Why else would he ask to keep them there?”
 
“I'm quite sure that the raids will stop. These were probably human raiders with a demon leader. No one could possible be dumb enough to come back knowing they are still there.”
 
Placing her head back on his shoulder, Kikyo smiled. “You are so smart. King Sesshomaru should be happy that you trained the soldiers so well. I'd hate to think what would happen if you were on the other side…”
 
“Kikyo.” No response. “Kikyo?”
 
A soft snore reached his ears. She had fallen asleep, in the middle of talking no less. They were working his woman too hard.
 
`One day soon Kikyo, you won't have to worry about anyone ordering you around. You'll be a queen. My queen. Then you can lead the life you were meant to leave and I can lead the one that was stolen from me.'
 
Kissing her forehead Naraku took a moment to taken the sight of her leaning against him as they sat in his lounge. He pulled the sleeping woman into his arms and to his bed.
 
He was going to give her all the things she deserved and more.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
To say he had gotten impatient would be wrong. He wanted to ask her before he lost his nerve. That meant finding her.
 
`Hopefully she isn't to far away from Sess' study.'
 
What he did not expect to see was a solider dragging Kagome down the hall kicking and screaming, literally.
 
“Sesshomaru I know you can hear me you ass!”
 
If he didn't have the sudden urge to kill someone for the scene that was happening in front of him he would have kissed her for her new found vocabulary. She had cursed. Something that he had never heard her do and even more so she was doing it to his brother! He could not have been more proud.
 
“Take her.”
 
She had been thrust at him. The prince restrained her at once.
 
“What happened?” He directed the question at the guard.
 
“The King told me to remove her so I did.”
 
Bankotus walked back to his post.
 
“InuYasha let me go!”
 
“Um, no.”
 
“But I have to-”
 
“Tell me what happened? Yes I agree. I have at least know why I'm about to kill my brother.”
 
`So much for proposing.'
 
He had to straighten this out first. Would something, anything go his way today?
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
A/N: Answer to the reviews and more suggested readings.
 
 
Lady Orion - Yes I am alive…mostly. I'm so sorry for not having reviewed your story in a while. *sighs* Things have been busy. I'm happy that you found me though, hope your New Years was good.
 
VeRoN - I felt hurt for Koga to. It was hard enough to write but reading it again in a half attempt to correct it was no fun either. But things will look up for him, promise. And there will be more Sango/Miroku in the next chapter. I just felt the rest of this situation needed to be tied up.
 
demonpride32 - I am very happy you think that. I try very hard not to have everyone acting too OOC or too much like each other. Sometimes I think that I make someone whine, cry, or etc. to much but when I go back and re-read what I have written I find it does fit but is nice to have a second opinion.
 
navyboarder17 - In right a lot of people should thank you for this chapter. It was after re-reading your review that I found the balls to post it enough though I want to tinker with it some more. But you are correct. I'm honestly sick of the people that write the gosh awful way they talk and have no plot or write a detailed outline and post it as a story. Have some pride to call your creation a work! Have a little pride to give your readers substance to read and not some spam that has no right to call itself a story. (Sorry I ranted. Just been seeing a lot of crap on all the sites lately and it pisses me off, as not only a reader but a writer as well.)
 
BabayBunny - And where has my funniest reviewer been? I'm glad you found your way back. Not to brag but as I said before, I was a extremely picky with what I read and a honest reviewer that hopes to achieve to be a sought after and highly a claimed reviewer (a.k.a. a famous InuYasha fan fiction critic. When people go to the review page and rush to see how I rated the story. Hey I can dream…) before I started writing. So I only put up stories as suggestions when and if I feel they deserve it. And Emerald is really good. I have another suggested story at the bottom for her.
 
And I know I made life hell for Koga so far but that's life. We don't always get what we want or what we THINK we want/need. I also love InuYasha kissing her into submission. I rushed to write it as soon as the thought hit me. Tis one of my dreams. *Makes a mental not to herself to erase this part before she gives the link to her sweetie*
 
smg1984 - I thank you for saying that. As I said in navyboard17's review the lack of quality in stories that are being posted lately is disgusting me. One actually made me feel physically sick. As a reader and writer I was insulted that person had the nerve to call themselves an InuYasha fan and wondered where they found the guts to post their story were people could SEE it.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
~*~ Recommended Readings ~*~
 
 
Bloodlust by angelbabe17 - Vampires. Creatures of the night with only one fear, The Slayer. InuYasha tells himself that he WILL be the one that fought The Slayer and lived. And finally he gets his chance to fight this deliciously beautiful woman. Of course now that he has seen her fighting isn't the only thing on his mind. She is the best of the best but the best don't sleep with the enemy right? Can one night in an alley change Kagome's life forever? (So good that it couldn't stay a one-shot!, Complete)
 
Second Chance by angelbabe17 - How dare InuYasha leave her the way he did! And then he has the nerve to ask her to let him explain. She gives him one last shot to explain where he disappeared to and why she should take him back. (One-shot, AU)
 
Lucky Ones by terri botta - If you liked Chronicles then you'll love Lucky Ones! After defeating Naraku their story has stretched across the lands. Now, for the most part, respected InuYasha has become a legend in the eyes of all hanyous. So it would make sense that a dying mother's last request was for her new born inu hanyou to be taken care of by him. The little one causes quite a stir between InuYasha and Kagome as well as a certain doctor…The two settle into the parent roles comfortably. But there is still a matter of the jewel and Kikyo…(Complete)
 
Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! by Chris-san - (The first fan fiction I ever read that made me realize that fan fics don't suck! Yes folks this started it all for me!) Title pretty much says it all. Koga is determined to make Kagome his. Not that she really wants to be with him, she just doesn't see any other future for herself. All that changes when she gets split up from Koga, Miroku, and Sango while exploring a forest rumored to be infested with demons. (Complete)
 
The Hanyou by VeRon - If you think Spiderman has endless witty comments check out this new action hero! InuYasha is experimenting in the lab when he gets the most terrible news. After finding out his parents have been murdered he flies into a rage and smashes the very chemicals that he was working on. Amazingly he is transformed into a half man-half dog from the toxins. With his newfound abilities he seeks revenge on the one that killed his parents.
 
Things have been working out just fine. He occasionally has to clean up after the police, which officer Koga Warashito hates him for. And he just had a lovely young woman move in next door. Oh, I forgot to mention that Koga's new partner just happens to be a woman that just move to town. Wonder who it could be…?
 
Till It's Gone by smittin kittin - Even though they belong to someone else they just can't help being drawn to one another. How do InuYasha and Kagome end up with each other? You have to read to find out. (All her stories have been temporally paused due to death in the family)
 
Broadway Baby by Del_kaidin - What does it feel like to be a total outcast? InuYasha could tell you. High school is tough enough without your peers picking on you for listen to show tunes. Was it his fault that Broadway is in his blood? Things start to look up when his Cinderella transfers to his school. Kagome knows nothing of InuYasha other than he was the cute boy that she performed with in childhood. (Complete)
 
Broadway Bound by Del_kaidin - What happened after graduation? It seems our classic couple eventually had to split. With InuYasha's new life as an actor he has left his singing and dancing to float in the shadows as something to do when in private. Kagome has followed her mother into psychology and certainly has left her dancing days long ago. Can the up coming high school reunion bring Cindrella and Prince Charming a happily ever after? (Sequel…duh!)
 
The Promise by Precious - *smiles* Just making sure you are paying attention.
 
The only thing by Scathach - Kagome's story of how she and InuYasha have become friends since childhood. She goes on to talk about how she feels about him and how things change between them after Kikyo enters their life. Though Kagome's emotions are caught in a downward spiral, one out burst from Koga may just change things when InuYasha finds out what has been obvious to everyone but him. (One-shot, AU)
 
An Inuyasha Story by EmeraldDragon - An AU, InuYasha is about to be hanged. The only way to save him is to pay for his freedom but no one wants to save the life of a worthless hanyou. Or so he thinks. The kind heart Kagome steps in and saves him. But is it possible he could return the favor for her? (only on FF.Net, Complete)
 
Rebound by Bachan - Why couldn't she be someone's first choice? First InuYasha chooses to be with Kikyo and now Hojo invites her to his wedding. Never mind that he was her ex-lover that left Kagome for his blushing bride. A very drunk and broken hearted Kagome tries to jump through the well one more time to make it back to the only person that can soothe her shatter soul.(One-shot)
 
In The Classroom by kuronekosama - Poor Rin has been on the wrong end of her father's fist for quite sometime. It's something she has come to accept. But her teacher, Mr. Sesshomaru Hakkaku, might be the one to change that. And now that he has helped her she is placed in his custody it's getting harder to keep their hands to themselves. (only on AFF.NET, Complete)
 
Mmm, Taste Like a Lemon by Maiden of the Moon - What are Kagome and InuYasha doing in the bushes? That is the question on Miroku, Sango, and Shippo's minds when they go searching for them and find more than they find more than they bargained for. (One-shot)
 
Terms of Engagement by Deep Serenity - Sango is a well respected agent. She has done what she could for her brother, Kohaku. But it's still not enough to keep him getting cancer. The medical bills a getting more costly and the doctor says he needs treatment, NOW! The enterprising movie producer Miroku takes this as an opening. He is in desperate need of a wife, NOW! They make a deal. He pays for Kohaku's treatments and she marries him. Of course there is a small matter of her giving him a child and pay no attention to that talk about some curse.
 
Miroku has been after InuYasha to do his movie for him and InuYasha constantly turns his friend down. But what happens when his answer could be turned to a yes if he gets Kagome as his leading lady? Did I mention that Sango just happens to be Kagome's agent? Problem is Kagome hates InuYasha's womanizing guts.
 
Sacrifice by Sabichan - Alternate ending to InuYasha. Attempting to summarize this work is something I can't do. Not many things leave me speechless but this is one of the things that have. For fear of giving away anything I'm just going to say read it. (One-shot)
 
She will be loved by KawaiiChica - A sad and sweet story of the way Koga feels about Kagome. She has always known how he felt but what happens when she hears him tell their story from an angle she never looked at before? (AU, One-shot. This story always made me feel so much more when I hear the song now…)