InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Be ❯ What Goes Up Must Come Down ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: I know it’s messed up I’m trying to fix it but this is the 4th time I’ve tried to get it to format right. I’ll keep trying.

Chapter 20

Today was a beautiful day. Not just because the sun was shining and the birds were singing. No, it was beautiful because she felt like she had been released from a cage. Despite the terrible thing that happened to Kagome, which she intended to make Kagome tell her exactly what happened later, she had gotten the greatest news. She was free to roam as she pleased again! No more being stuck inside or confined to the garden.

Her wish was to leave the moment it was daylight. To go some where, any where as long as it was outside the palace walls. Miroku had given her just that when he proposed they go into town. Although there was one downside to this outing. Maybe being a servant had spoiled her in some aspects.

“I still don’t like have this guard follow us.”

“It’s just Sesshomaru being over protective still. At least we can leave the castle now, ne?”

“I suppose.”

The royal couple floated around the weapons. They needed to pick up some stronger staffs. After their last spar they had broken each other’s in the heat of the moment.

‘I don’t ever remember seeing a weapon like this before.’ Sango wandered over to a huge triangle shaped weapon. ‘This is a weapon? It looks like it would be a hindrance in battle but you could use it like a shield. And it doesn’t have any sharp edges on it but I’m sure if you used it right you could not knock someone flat with it!’

“Something catch your eye my dear?” The shop keeper asked helpfully.

She smiled lightly at him. “Well that depends. What is it exactly?”

“It’s called a hiraikotsu. A giant boomerang mostly used by demon exterminators. The large size allows them to cut down the demon quickly. When you throw it, it will always return to you. It can be used in a many number of ways, if correctly handled. I know they aren’t going to be a big seller here but my baka assistant ordered a few by accident.”

“Really…” Sango turned to look the weapon again.

“But I’m sure a lady, like yourself, would be more interested in a bow and arrow set or a breast dagger perhaps?”

“Why is that?”

“Well it’s just that this weapon is extremely heavy. A woman wouldn’t have the strength to lift it let alone use it. There are more cute and light weapons with gem accents and…” The rest of his sentence was drowned out. That lone phrase gave the Mayan maiden flashbacks of the soldiers' murmurs ridiculing her about trying to train, and their refusal to teach her anything that she didn’t pick up on her own from watching them.

Miroku didn’t like the determined look on his lovely fiancée’s face. It was bad enough that the merchant had degraded her skills, unintentionally of course, but one thing he had learned about Sango was that she had a burning desire to prove herself. She was a brilliant and strong woman. And ANYONE that said otherwise was in danger of feeling her wrath.

One hand shot out and grabbed the handle of the hiraikotsu.

“Sango. Sango think about what you’re doing. You might hurt yourself.”

She blocked Miroku’s voice out too. She could lift it. She WOULD lift it. She’d show them not to count her out. Her face wrinkled with concentration. It took her a few tugs to see that the shopkeeper was telling the truth, but she had a point to prove.

“You don’t know how heavy that thing is Sango. If you pull something-”

The rest of his worries died in his throat. His vigorous vixen had not only lifted the boomerang but gave it one full swing, knocking a shelf of swords down in the process.

Setting the weapon back in its proper place, she strode out of the shop with her head held high. True she had knocked over some swords but the jaw-dropping look on their faces had been worth it. Even if her arms were still spasming from the weight of the bone weapon that was no longer there.

The prince blinked at her retreating figure for a minute or two before turning to the salesman.

“If there are any damages send the bill to me at the palace. Now what was this weapon called again?”

The man just continued to gape.

~*~*~*~*~

“So I was thinking that maybe we could go for another run since we can finally get out finally of here. But no almost running into trees, you scared me to death the last time you did that.”

“Huh? Oh, right. That’s fine.”

“So when do you want to go?”

“Go where?”

“InuYasha weren’t you listening?”

“I uh..Kagome?”

He looked down into her innocent face. Could he ask her? Yes this would be the time.

“Yes?”

“Would you…Would you…” He had choked again. At this rate he’d never ask her. “Would you repeat what you said again. I’m sorry I wasn’t listening.”

She smiled. “Well at least you were honest.” She kissed him.

He inwardly sulked. How could he ask Kagome to stay with him always if every time he tried the words would escape his brain? This was his third failure, and asking Miroku for help had been useless.

After his friend finished laughing at him he said that it was nothing you could really plan. Not the words anyway. They would sort of just pop out of your mouth when you were ready. He tried to ask Sango many times before he had actually asked her.

That had made the half demon a little happier to know it wasn’t just him, but still, what would he do when it came time for them to go? He sighed and tried to pay attention to what she was saying this time. He would have more chances. Miroku was marrying his Bitch right? That meant that she would be around and Kagome would be with her. She couldn’t leave him completely behind.

There would be other chances to see her. He had plenty of time. Didn’t he?

~*~*~*~*~

“Jaken, are you certain that letter came from the Mayan Kingdom?”

“Hai.” Sesshomaru became deep with thought as he stared at his kingdom from his balcony. “Is there something wrong my King?”

He didn’t answer.

It was a bit queer that the previous letters he had gotten from the Mayan King always had polite non-sense about his joy of becoming part of a great alliance. But now…now it was a very clipped and to the point.

At the time he had not thought much of it. He was in the midst of how to dissolve what could be a huge food shortage since crop production had not been very productful this year. Then he was told that his brother and the ookami lord had dueled over that girl, AGAIN. Hearing that everything was fine and that the raids would be of no concern had been welcomed good news.

But now that he had time to think about it his instincts were telling him that something was amiss.

“Jaken.”

“Yes King Sesshomaru?”

“You remember where the soothsayer lives. Bring her to me. Quickly.”

“But my King, you know she lives a few days from here. It would take me almost a week to get her. She doesn’t travel well.”

“Are you suggesting I leave my kingdom for two weeks to go to her human hovel?”

“No. Of course not. I was just informing you of the time-”

“You think I have forgotten the locations in MY kingdom. I know how far away the mystic lives. Go get her.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Yes, I swear I will not mention how I feel about the matter.”

“Thank you.”

“Even if it does need to be addressed.”

“Naraku!”

“You are tired. You fell asleep while we were still talking. I merely fear for your health.”

His admission made her soften a bit.

“I know. But this is my job. I don’t tell you not to train or go into battle anymore because you might get hurt. I worry about you too.”

He kissed and hugged her.

“That is how I know you will be a wonderful wife and are truly worthy of my surprise.”

“What IS this surprise you keep hinting at?”

“Now if I told you what it was it would ruin the suspense.”

“A clue?” Kikyo pushed a little more to see if he would give her something to go on.

“All you need to be concerned with is that you will never want for anything ever again. You shall get all the rest you desire, and you won’t have to worry about my getting hurt or that I may mouth off to the King.”

“All those things do sound nice but I have what I want and the only thing I need is for us to get married.”

“After my surprise, love.”

“I know. I know.”

His patience and planning was paying off. Both brothers had possessed something that belonged to him. He was finally able to get Kikyo from the prince. The only thing left was the kingdom.

‘And very soon I will be able to have what should have been mine to begin with...’

~*~*~*~*~

(A few days later…)

“Okay then, enough training for today.”

Sango sat down. At least she wasn’t as sore as she was when they first started. Even she could see where her skills were improving. She still didn’t like the idea of making herself mad so she could fight better. Miroku had insisted though. She hated the thought that she might hurt him in the heat of her anger. Though it wasn’t something she liked to think about, she did tend to get rather lost in her rage.

“After eating I think we should start planning.”

“Planning?”

“Yes planning. For our wedding. Remember?”

The princess grew silent. Why was it every time their wedding was mentioned she was reminded of how soon he wanted it to take place? A month. That’s what he had told Ayame. She was hoping to postpone it for at least 4 months. She knew she liked Miroku dearly and he was fun to be around. He was the only person she knew that actually wanted to help her train, and that could possibly form into love…eventually. But what if she was wrong? What if there was another secret lurking similar to the Yura incident that she had yet to learn?

“What’s on your mind my delectable deity?”

She sighed at his newest nickname and constant defiling of her wishes to be called by her name.

“I don’t know. Everything seems as if it’s happening so fast.”

“Everything?”

“You know, us.”

His body stiffened. “What’s wrong with us?”

“Well we get along fine but who is to say it will stay that way?”

“What do you mean ‘who is to say’? We do. Or at least I do. I know things didn’t start out to great but I do love you Sango and I do want to be with you. I thought you wanted the same thing. Do you?”

“No. I mean yes. I mean…What I’m trying to say is…”

She hung her head. What was she trying to say? It all made sense in her head but every time she tried to express it aloud it never came out right.

“Well? Which is it?” More silence. “Sango if you didn’t want our engagement then why did you agree to it?”

‘It was an accident? No she couldn’t say that. Part of her really wanted to be with him but the other part was just confused. She was supposed to do everything herself. And here she was about to hand over everything she was and owned to a man. But this was Miroku.’

“I do want to be with you Miroku.”

It was the first time Miroku ever thought a woman could officially stop his heart. He was certain that if she had said no he would die right there.

“I’m just not sure if this will work.”

“What do you mean you’re not sure?”

“I…It just that…”

He was trying not to let his anger get the best of him but it was becoming increasingly difficult. The woman he loved, that he had actually worked up the bravery to ask to marry him and she was having doubts!

‘No, not serious doubts you moron. She is just being antsy about marriage. Remember how you thought of marriage? It’s not like you can take that kind of commitment back,’ his rational side explained to him.

‘But …I LOVE her. Why doesn’t she love me back? Is there something I haven’t given her to make her have doubts?’ He pondered quickly. ‘Space. I’ll give her space.’ The hurt part of him didn’t feel like hearing the voice of reason. ‘Fine if you want to give her space, we’ll give her space. We will give her all the space she needs! Don’t look at her. Don’t talk to her. Don’t touch her. Don’t…’

His thoughts continued. Sango looked at him not sure why he had been oddly silent.

‘What do you expect? You just told him you didn’t want to get married.’

“Miroku I-”

She stopped when the prince stood up. He proceeded to leave her. He didn’t speak to her or even spare her a backward glance. He just left.

~*~*~*~*~

“That was fun!”

Kagome giggled as she hopped down from her place on InuYasha’s back.

He had to agree with her. It was the most alive he had felt in awhile. More importantly the rush he usually got from his runs was still flowing through him. The high was giving him enough courage to do what he wasn’t able to do for the past few days. Try number four would end in success.

There was no one there to interrupt. They were both happy. They were resting under his tree to boot. Even Miroku would have to agree that this was perfect. The place he and Kagome had first met and had many memories, good and bad. This was the ideal spot to ask to her to spend the rest of their lives together.

Miroku had said he couldn’t plan the words. InuYasha opened his mouth and prayed that his luck would continue in full swing.

She closed her eyes and enjoyed the feel of his arms surrounding her as they sat spooned under the tree. Life was good.

“Kagome?”

“Hm?”

&# 8220;Kagome do you like being here?”

“This place is lovely. Even when the weather is bad it’s still beautiful.”

“Do you like being with me?”

She snuggled into him a bit more.

“Of course I do. You know I love every moment with you. I’m not sure what I’d ever do without you.”

“What if I promised you would never have to be without me?”

She sat up and turned to face him. She sensed their conversation was about to turn serious. Lieing on him, surrounded by his comfort would only fog her brain.

“And how would you do that?”

“Kagome I lov-”

“Kagome! Kagome!” Sango’s screams pierced the air. She sounded as if someone had shattered her heart and she looked even worse.

“Sango!” Kagome ran to her Lady and best friend. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

“I can’t…He just-But then I-”

Sango was breathing extremely hard. Trying to catch your breath and hold back tears was not an easy task. She just knew she couldn’t be alone right now.

“Shhh, don’t talk. We’ll go to your room.” Kagome soothed her and looked at the hanyou. “InuYasha…”

He was gone. Where did he go?

~*~*~*~*~

“Fuck!” He yelled loudly, flattening his ears as the echo was reflected from the heavens.

He was there. It was perfect. She had ever turned to look him in the eye so he would have been able to memorize her facial expression.

But SHE had messed it up. Why was she out there any way? Once he saw what state she was in he knew Kagome wouldn’t leave her. She would put their conversation on hold to console the Bitch.

He continued running as fast as his legs would allow. Something was going to have the misfortune of feeling the brunt of his rage. He would only hope it was someone that deserved such pain.

~*~*~*~*~

“I’m not going to say what you did was right or wrong but you need to figure out what it is that you want. After you figure out what that is then you can sort things out. Until then you have to keep up your strength.” She tugged the girl down the hallway. “That is why you are going to eat something.”

“But we still have dinner.”

“You aren’t going to eat anything at dinner and I won’t be able to make you in front of everyone, you know it.”

“But I’m not hungry.”

“To bad.”

“I want to go my room.”

“After you eat. Koharu always keeps something in the kitchen in case InuYasha gets hungry in between meals. Last time she made this scrumptious strew and she had a dozen of those sweet rolls. I wonder what she made today.”

Sango was about to protest again when she heard voices coming from the kitchen.

“Miro I need that spoon back.”
“I’ll give it back to you if you give a kiss.”

“Stop being silly and sit down before you hurt yourself.”

There was the sound of wood scraping against stone.

“What would the Princess say if she saw?”

“I don’t care about her. Never did. Who wants that gruff woman anyway.”

Kagome felt her own heart drop at the statement. Sango took the time to run away. Kagome wanted to call after her to stop but in fear that it would alert their presence she toddled behind her.

~*~*~*~*~

Koharu shook her head and walked over to the distraught and drunk royal.

“Miro, you shouldn’t say things you don’t mean.”

“I mean it.” He slammed his fist hard enough to vibrate the table. “I do.” He slurred back.

“No you don’t.” She wiped up the spilled liquor. “Why else would you be drinking over a woman. The only other time you got this drunk was when your mother died. And don’t tell me that you didn't because I saw you. I know.”

“I just want the pain to go away.” In one swift move he had her in his lap. “You can help me with that you know.” He stroked her sides suggestively.

She refused to look at him. She focused her eyes on the wall before closing them completely. She could already feel the water in them.

“I can’t do that.”

“Please Cookie?”

There it was again. The opportunity she would have given her right hand for was teasing her. Ever since she met Miroku her heart had been his. Every time he would talk to her she felt special, as if he had paused time just to make her day brighter. He was free to do as he pleased and he had chosen to spend time with her when it was not required. After complaining to her about all those other women she idly stood by waiting for the day her would realize she would do anything he wished. Even if that meant she could only call him hers for one night. She would cherish it forever. She had dreamed of the day he say those words to her. But this wasn’t right. She couldn’t do this.

She shook her head again while blinking back the tears.

“As much as I would love to help you Miro’, I can’t. You are drunk and you would regret it if I took you up on your offer. You only want her and nothing I do will make your pain go away.” Koharu cradled his head to her bosom. “If it were me I would make sure you were always happy. If she can’t do that for you then you need to take your time to heal. You should go get some rest. Come on I’ll help you to your room.”

He nodded as a she wiped away some of his tears.

“You’re such a good friend.”

Pain underlined her voice as she replied. “Sometimes I’m a little to good.”

~*~*~*~*~

The shadows hid him well. Not that he was worried about being seen this far out in the forest. It was mostly a precaution. After all his careful planning nothing was going to stop him now.

‘Where was she?’

A soft voiced called from behind him.

“You are early master.”

“Don’t sneak up behind me like that.”

“I am sorry.”

“Did you get it?”

“Yes.”

A bright light momentarily illuminated the dark forest. The light slowly dimmed away.

Naraku smiled as he looked at the object in her hands.

“They're all there. Did you have any trouble retrieving it?”

“No.”

He reached a hand out to trace his reflection.

“Come back on the new moon. I want them all to be able to look back on that night as their darkest hour.” The girl nodded and started to retreat into the shadows but was stopped. “Kanna,” She looked up at him, “during the take over I want you to separate her from the others. Keep her hidden with you until I signal you. I’ve waited a long time for this, I intend to enjoy every moment.”

“As you wish Master Naraku.”

The darkness consumed her pale features.

~*~*~*~*~

Had he been lying all this time? She had been played for a fool.

She had sent Kagome away long ago. The girl gave up after Sango had refused to unlock the door.

Why hadn’t she just kept her mouth shut? But then she just didn’t know if she could do this. She needed time. Miroku had said he wanted to be with her. That he liked her just was as she was. Why would he lie to her? It didn’t make sense. Why was it anything dealing with him had to be complicated? At times she was happy she was with him.
Other times she felt she was doing the wrong thing and that she would end up like a few of her friends. Sure it started off fine but then after their husband’s lust was all dried up they were left alone to die on the inside.

He had proved that he wasn’t a pig or jerk like most princes were. But she still needed to know that this union wouldn’t result in a disaster. Didn’t he understand that?

His hurtful words echoed in her head.

He hadn’t wanted her anyway. All the training, pet names, and outings. They had all been a lie. She wished she had known that before she started to fall for him. But it was good she found this out now right?

No. She wouldn’t believe it. He words were said from anger. Yes, that was it. Anger that she had said she was having doubts. She’d talk to him as soon as she figured out what she wanted. Like Kagome said, until then there was no need to try to speak to him.

“Come on Miroku. If you aren’t going to do some of the work at least give me enough room to open the door.”

“But I need you.”

There was mumbling followed by snickering. And then the door shut.

Didn’t pain have limits? How was it possible to feel pain greater than the pain you already thought was the worst you could ever imagine had happened to you only to find out there was indeed worse.

~*~*~*~*~

“Come on Miroku. If you aren’t going to do some of the work at least give me enough room to open the door.”

Once they got halfway to his room Miroku seem to have given up and let her hold most of his weight.

“But I need you.”

“Yeah to get you in bed.”, she mumbled.

“Why Koharu how bold of you. Taking advantage of my condition.”

They both laughed.

“Do you always have be a jester?”

“You didn’t know? I have a double life. Prince by day, jester by night.”

They snickered at his corniness again and she shut the door. The last thing she needed was for someone to see her helping him get ready for bed and get the wrong idea. No one, least of all the Princess, should see him in this condition.

~*~*~*~*~

Possessionby Wheezambu– The jewel is complete, Naraku is dead, and Kikyou’s soul is at rest. Miroku, Sango, and Kirara lost their lives in the battle and Shippo, Kagome, and InuYasha fine themselves together in the aftermath. Now everyone lives happily ever after right? Wrong. Kagome finds herself divorcing her spineless husband and racked up a tremendous amount of lovers. But no matter what she does she can’t find happiness.

Since that faithful day ten years ago when InuYasha wished to become full demon happiness became an unheard of dream. The enormity of his wrath was contained having abusive sex with the shattered schoolgirl, which could only be defined as such since she loved him so much that she couldn’t help willingly responding to him. What happened to the InuYasha when she finally got the chance to escape and seal the well? She finds out when fate sends her back to feudal Japan. (Dark fic, found on AAF.net also)

The Scam – I have added a part 2 to “The Promise”. It is a story of how Kagome and Koga first met.

ScarletRaven1001 – All the following stories are hers. She is on MM but her stories got deleted. She is in the process of reposting them. If you really like her stories you can go to AFF.net to view the chapters that have yet to be reposted on MM.org.
A Bond of Thorns – Kagome is a Calderian princess. Her planet is attacked by Soldarian troops. They destroy her planet, slaughter her people and murder her father before her very eyes. She hates them all, especially the one that killed her father. She has made an oath to herself to make InuYasha pay. And how dare he make her his concubine! But what happens when InuYasha finds out she might be the other piece in unlocking a great power?

Seven Weeks – InuYasha thought it was a normal day like any other day until he got summoned to another world and told he was a legendary warrior. Their princes has been kidnapped along with the jewel. Only he can leave the city and it is only he that can touch her. No one knows where she is and there is this small matter of him needing to get her back in seven weeks otherwise his world will cease to exist because of his absence. And the fact that in the hands of the evil Naraku the power of the jewel and the princess will be corrupted.

InuYasha picks up a fast talking, power hitting, mysterious girl along the way. She wants to help save the princess. But what is the deal with the bandages she keeps over her wrist? And why can’t she remove them….

Converting /tmp/php14sssq to /dev/stdout