InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming ❯ Leaving ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Fourteen: Leaving

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Kara tried desperately to regain her splattered feelings as she sobbed ruthlessly outside. It was late now, she knew and the restaurant would be closing soon. She dried her eyes and hoped she didn't look too puffy in the face and entered through the double doors praying she would not run into the arrogant senior who she had just had a fight with. She walked swiftly through to the kitchen where she had put her purse earlier and saw him, swallowing when their gazes met for a brief second.

Sesshomaru felt his chest tighten at her slightly swollen looking face and bloodshot red eyes because he knew that he had been the source of her tears yet again. He sent his gaze elsewhere to avoid the cloudy azure eyes that stared into him. Eyes that knew him better than anyone.

Kara took in a shaky breath and looked to her purse that was resting right beside the highly attractive young man and cursed inwardly. Of all the places she had to put her pocketbook it had to be right there. The high school girl could sense the thick tension in the air between them and wanted to escape from it. She shuffled over, avoiding looking at him at all and grasped the handle of her purse and turned away quickly, exiting the door to the kitchen and into the restaurant in a menacing way. He's still angry and upset… I should have apologized… Went through Kara's mind as she felt herself start to cry again. She burst out the exit to the restaurant and started to walk home. There was no way that she was going to ride in the car with Sesshomaru now. It seemed that he hated her. It was then, at that moment as she was walking along the darkened sidewalk lit only by a few streetlights, that it started to rain. No, not rain. It started to pour.

"What luck," Kara muttered to herself, cursing her location. She sighed and pulled her jacket closer to her and ducked her head down, hoping to keep a little warmer as she continued on the eight-mile walk back to the house that she stayed at with Sesshomaru and Inuyasha.

**

Sesshomaru looked around the restaurant and the parking lot a few times, the rain blinding his worried vision. Where the hell is she? He thought, uncharacteristic concern welling in his insides. Even though he had been angry and hurt because of her, he was still worried for her welfare. Did she… did she start to walk home in this weather? The senior got into his car swiftly and started to drive home carefully, looking to the sidewalk on both sides as the rain started to come down harder. He found her after a few minutes of intense searching and he was relieved but she looked soaked to the bone. He pulled up slowly beside her and tapped the horn, catching her attention. She gazed at the car but started to pick up her walking pace. Sesshomaru rolled down his window and called out her name. "Kara, stop."

She did stop however, but she was not pleased about it. "I'm trying to get home, Sesshomaru," she told him stiffly, sneezing. This did not quench the senior's worry and he reached across the seat to open the door to the passenger's seat.

"Get in," he ordered, his voice brooking no argument but Kara was stubborn. She shook her head and told him no thank you. "You're going to catch your death out there so get in the vehicle now." He told her again, his voice harsh and displeased.

Kara poked her wet head into the car and stared at him, her azure eyes still bloodshot and upset. "Why do you want me to get into the car? Do you feel guilty because I'm walking home in the rain by myself? Do you think that it's `honorable' to pick me up?" She snapped at him, her own anger and hurt resurfacing and spilling out of her mouth.

Sesshomaru growled at her, his own temper flaring in response. "I should just leave you here to be cold, you stubborn bitch. I let you stay in my home and for what? To be disrespected like this? You really are ungrateful. I should have just neglected you if I knew that you would have been acting like this in the future. What a waste of my life," He sneered at her, slamming the door to the passenger's seat in her face. He then smirked mischievously at her, daring her to dish out a comeback.

He was feeling somewhat victorious, if not guilty, until Kara started to cough and was rendered to her knees. They sounded like they were coming from the depths of her lungs and were equally full of mucus. His golden eyes widened in concern as he got out of his side of the car and went to her aid.

Tears fell from Kara's eyes at the force of her coughs. They were racking her entire form and they killed! She did one final cough and felt Sesshomaru place his large hand gently on her back to help support her but after what he had just said, she didn't want to be anywhere near him. If that was how he really felt then she didn't have to be around him.

After the coughing attack, Kara pulled away from him and stood up, her chest heaving from the harsh workout it had just received. Sesshomaru stood up too, his form rigid and stiff. The high school girl looked up into his eyes, fixing her mouth in a determined line and barked out with a raw, raspy voice, "I don't need your pity."

All concern or anxiety that the senior had felt for Kara died with those five words that spilled carelessly from her lips. Sesshomaru angrily grasped her by the arm and yanked the passenger car door open, nearly tearing it from its mechanical hinges. He threw her unceremoniously into the seat and slammed the door, stomping over to the driver's side and got in. He didn't even bother to buckle himself as he started to the car and flared on the gas pedal, frightening Kara with it's loud, sudden noise. The look on the senior's face didn't help matters either of course.

"You think I pity you?" He spat at her, laughing cruelly and ironically. "It's amazing how when one comes to care about someone or something it's often misinterpreted into a negative wave," he finished, thrusting his foot on the brake pedal, lurching the car forward when the car pulled into the driveway of the house. Kara was dead silent, she didn't dare look to Sesshomaru for fear that she might cry or lash out at him. That was just what she needed to do. Make matters worse than they all ready were.

Sesshomaru just sat in his seat, his golden eyes blazing forward in fury, hurt and disbelief. "Are you getting out or what," he murmured, his voice sounding ornery and brittle. Kara opened the door quickly and gloshed inside in her wet clothes, sniffling and coughing as she entered the house. Sesshomaru watched her until she was safely indoors and flopped backwards against his seat, running a stressed and shaking hand over his face. He had blown it. His attempt to be kind and somewhat… apologetic he supposed, was to pick her up and make sure she was all right. This however, was turned into an all out war. Damn it all, he thought anxiously as he beat his fist into the seat of the car, making it vibrate. He needed to smash something. Something needed to be destroyed now.

**

Kara rushed downstairs as quietly as she could, hoping Inuyasha wouldn't hear her and entered her room, closing the door briskly. Her breath was shallow as she felt another flemmy cough coming on. I'm sick, she thought angrily. Go figure. She stripped out of her wet clothes quickly and dove under her covers to try and keep her clammy, naked body warm. She was just starting to relax when she heard the banging of metal outside and angry grunts. Her eyes widened as she listened to the cursing and the obscenities being let go as Sesshomaru destroyed something outdoors. She took in a shaky breath and got out of her bed, dressing herself in her pajamas as her gaze went to the picture of her mother.

"Mom…" she whispered in loneliness. "What do I do?"

**

His knuckles had just stopped bleeding just as the rain stopped falling while he sat in the shadows of the bushes quietly, the pain subsiding. He looked to the scene of destruction he had caused and muttered an invective at how careless he had been. We still need to use those garbage cans, he thought, berating himself entirely. He did not want to enter the house for fear of seeing her. It was strange though. Sesshomaru had never really feared confronting anyone in his life except for his father but now… Kara had softened him and made him fear her in a sense. He closed his eyes and was left alone with his thoughts as he desperately sought to sort them out.

**

The noise has stopped, Kara noticed as she sat up in her bed. She swallowed and exited her room, her bare feet slinking up the steps carefully as she exited out the door to see what the damage was. Her eyes widened as her stomach fluttered at the destructive scene. The metal garbage cans, all of them, had been dented and caved in. There was a large hole that was covered in an irony red substance that she reached out and touch. She gasped softly as she rubbed her fingers together. It was blood and more likely than not, his blood. Her throat closed up as she tried in an effort to swallow and put herself at ease but the comfort and relaxation she sought would not come.

He did this… Because of me. Because of my big mouth! Kara thought in anguish as she let out a cry and punched the garbage can as hard she could, groaning and flopping onto the ground when she hurt herself. She sneezed, the contents and germs flying everywhere as she started to cry softly, not caring that she had her own mucus dangling from her sickened nose. Suddenly, she felt something soft and damp patting her nose and she opened her eyes to see Sesshomaru wiping her snot with a rag from the garage. Where had he come from? Her eyes looked over his form, seeing that his hair was slightly damp and untamed but her gaze was drawn to the knuckles of the hand that was drying her nose. Dried blood was crusted onto them and she pulled out of his reach to grasp his hand and look over the knuckles in worry.

"Oh Kami-sama…" she muttered, not knowing was else to say. "You… you hurt yourself really bad, Sesshomaru," she whispered, her voice growing thick. Not a coherent thought passed through the senior's mind as she inspected his knuckles more thoroughly. "This… This is my fault," she told him, returning his hand, as she stood up wobbly, coughing a little. "I… I have to go… I can't stay here with you anymore if we are going to keep falling apart like this…" she told him, her voice sounding distant and saddened.

"What?" Sesshomaru replied, sounding very uncertain and somewhat anxious as he got to his feet as well, looking her over for signs of deceit.

"I'm making trouble for you… I… I hurt you…" She explained, her eyes expressing that she most definitely did not want to go. "I also think I got too close to you… Because we're both hurt right now…"

"Too… close?" Sesshomaru elaborated, his voice sounding constricted as he tried to process what she was trying to say.

"We went too far… We… we got more affectionate than we needed to Sesshomaru," Kara finished, watching as he completely shut himself away from her. "I do like living at you home because you and Inuyasha are very hospitable but-"

"Very well then. I understand. You may still live here, however, we just will not… be `close', as you put it, anymore," The senior barked, storming inside to wash his knuckles as he tried to hide the broken heart that he was experiencing. He had gotten too attached to her and she had become his weakness. Damn it

Kara stood alone, cradling her body to herself as she willed the empty tears that rolled down her face to stop as she realized what she had just done. "Sesshomaru… this is for the best…" she said to no one. "Even though… Aishiteru…"

**

Inuyasha kept turning his gaze to Kara in confusion as they came home from the half-day of school without Sesshomaru. "Why are we leaving him behind?" he asked, feeling a bit perplexed. When had they been avoiding each other?

"Oh. Sesshomaru and I have decided that we're not going to be so close anymore. It was killing the both of us," She replied with a fake smile plastered across her abnormally pale and depressed looking face.

If it was killing you then why have I seen you happier than you are right now? The junior boy thought but then shrugged as they continued to walk home. To try and lighten her mood and change the subject, he thought of some ideas that she might like. Ok… What does Kagome like? Oh yeah! The last dance of the year is tomorrow! I should talk to her about that! "Hey Kara," he said smoothly, catching her attention.

"Hm?"

"Are you excited for the dance tomorrow?" He asked lightly.

"Oh yeah! There's a dance tomorrow…" She remembered to herself. She smiled up at her peer and nodded. "Oh I can't wait! I wonder if Sesshomaru will-" she broke off in mid-sentence, biting her lower lips as the previous night's events replayed in her head.

Oh ####. Inuyasha thought to himself and immediately tried to change the subject, knowing what she was implying. "Why don't you just go single and hang out with friends? I did that my first year. Or, if worse comes to worse, I could introduce you to my buddy Miroku. I'm sure he'd… er… dance with you…" He'd probably do more than dance… Anyways… I wonder if he's taking Sango?

"How come I've never met Miroku?" Kara asked Inuyasha as they walked into the garage to enter the backdoor.

"He goes to another school," the handsome junior boy replied. You should probably be glad you've never met him… He probably wouldn't be able to keep his hands off of you. Inuyasha started to turn the doorknob when he looked at it strangely.

"What is it?" Kara asked softly, seeing his incredulous look.

"The door… I locked it this morning… It's unlocked…" He replied softly as he opened the door, nearly falling backwards when he was who was sitting at the table in the kitchen.

"Hello, Inuyasha…"

**

Kagome exited her apartment, feeling slightly anxious at the new she had just received from her mother. "I don't want her to come," she whispered, feeling her chest tighten dramatically. She always takes everything from me…" She hugged herself briefly before she realized something.

"I should go inform Inuyasha and tell him to be on the look out for her," She said aloud and started to jog mildly to the house, hoping that her news wouldn't come in vain.

**

"Inuyasha," Kara whispered, looking to the young woman who was now standing, her long straight dark hair cascading down her back as her cold brown eyes stared at the two who had not entered the house yet. She bore a striking resemblance to Kagome only she looked older and less… innocent. "Is that… Kikyo?"

The junior boy nodded, unable to form words as his amber eyes continued to stay the size of watermelons. The young woman Kikyo started to descend the stairs and came closer to them, looking them over. "Who are you?" she asked Kara, her voice sounding aloof and emotionless.

"You don't need to say anything to her, Kara. You can go into the house now," Inuyasha told her promptly shoving her into the house without warning. Kara looked back to him in bewilderment but shrugged and went down the stairs, hiding around the corner so she could eavesdrop on what was going on. "How the hell did you get in here and what are you doing here?" Inuyasha demanded, his voice sounding slightly hurt though.

"I never got rid of the spare key to the house you gave me all of those years ago. Do you remember, Inuyasha? Before you got closer to my cousin?" Kikyo replied seductively and Kara heard the sound of lips moving and Inuyasha trying to pull away. Suddenly there was a scream of alarm and Kara came up the stairs to see what was happening. Kagome was standing right outside and had seen everything.

Inuyasha turned, his face flushed from embarrassment and horror. He reached out and exited the house, trying to get to her as she started to pace backwards. "No, Kagome! It's not what it looks like!"

"I didn't know she was all ready here," Kagome stuttered, tears coming down her cheeks. Her chocolate eyes went to where Kikyo was staring. Kara turned to look at the young woman to see satisfaction playing across her pallid face. What a sick twisted bitch! She thought when Kagome ran off down the road, sobbing.

Inuyasha turned with a snarl towards Kikyo. "Why are you back? Do you want to continue making my life a living hell?" He roared at her, his face pain-stricken. "I don't know what I ever saw in you, you- you- Dead-hearted bitch!"

Kikyo's eyes widened in amusement as the junior boy spouted out all of his frustration and Kara went outside to calm him. The young woman's thin lips opened and cruel laughter escaped from them. Inuyasha and Kara both turned in shock to see her just laughing at nothing. "Inuyasha, you silly fool. I haven't come for you this time," she stated, the harsh smirk still apparent on her lips.

Kara's azure orbs widened when she realized what this meant. She was there for Sesshomaru. No… No no no no no! He wouldn't be so stupid, would he? I mean he… he cares for- Her thoughts again returned to the happenings of the night previous and she felt her heart sink into her stomach. She swallowed and her eyes darted to the junior boy beside her, seeing that his expression mirrored the same look.

"He'd never go for someone like you. You're a slimy #####, you know that?" Inuyasha barked. "Now get the hell out of my house!"

"Your house?" A deep baritone voice that made Kara's spine tingle, said out of the blue, making both Inuyasha and the high school girl whirl around in surprise. Golden eyes traveled to the screen door and they clouded briefly. "Kikyo," Sesshomaru stated with a nod and barged into the house, knocking right past her to the kitchen where he then proceeded through the living room to his room.

Kikyo's eyes flashed briefly before she went back to sitting at the kitchen table, the look in her eye portraying the look a hawk gets before stalking and killing its prey. Inuyasha motioned for Kara to go into the house and pushed her forcefully down the stairs so they could be alone.

"She's after Sesshomaru. You know that right?" He hissed. "What're you gonna do about it?"

Kara felt winded for a moment but she pushed the feeling back, raising her hand to fist in her hair in frustration. "There's… there's nothing I can do… I think he hates me, Inuyasha. I think he really does hate me now…" Her eyes started to blur and her throat closed up. "Oh Kami-sama, I'm crying again…" she growled mostly to herself and raised her hands to her face to try and hide her sorrow.

"Hey… uh… Do you need a hug?" Inuyasha asked quietly, holding out his arms and let out an `oof!' sound when she barreled into him. Kara sobbed into his chest, gripping his clothes in attempt to help the pain she was so graciously feeling. Inuyasha did the best he could with comforting but it seemed she was past the point of feeling better and getting close to the point of break-down and depression.

"I only wish I could hate him back…" she whispered, pulling back to stare up into Inuyasha's concerned amber eyes. "I should have never gotten closer to him… Never! I never would have if I knew it would hurt this much! Oh Inuyasha! What do I do?" she wailed, trying to keep her voice low so Kikyo would not catch wind of it nor Sesshomaru. She didn't want him to know how much this was affecting her. Her tears came to a stop after a while and she calmed, and then looked to Inuyasha.

"Thanks, I needed that. Shouldn't you go and try to mend things with Kagome though? She looked pretty wounded when she saw that Kikyo kissed you," Kara sniffled, pointing up the stairs to the kitchen. Inuyasha nodded and asked if she was going to be ok one last time before he went to seek out his distraught girlfriend.

I need to talk to him… Kara thought, the `him' pertaining to Sesshomaru. I should warn him about Kikyo, she added, walking up the stairs slowly and checked the mirror by the door to see if her face was still red. It was a little bit but she could just lie and say she had gotten sunburned or something or other. Kikyo was still sitting in the kitchen at the table, her cold, dark eyes following the junior girl as she strode through the kitchen. As soon as she was in the living room, Kara let out a breath that she didn't know she had been holding and straightened her clothes before she went to the corridor and knocked softly on the senior's door.

There was no reply but Kara knew that he had heard it. She opened the door a little and poked her head inside, seeing that he was resting on his bed… gulp… without a shirt on… Uh oh! Gutter thoughts! The American girl shrieked in her head and regained control of herself. She cleared her throat and saw him look up in disinterest, like he had in the past before they had gotten closer. "Um… Sesshomaru?"

"What is it?" He asked gruffly and harshly as he sat up, his tone holding no softness or affection that she had grown accustomed to. Kara swallowed down the anxiety and tension that was rising from her gut and entered the room, closing the door behind her. She then walked furthermore into his room, his golden eyes following her all the way, watching her every unsure movement.

"I know why Kikyo is here," she said softly, keeping her voice low so that the young woman in the kitchen wouldn't be able to hear a word.

"Good for you," the senior replied in irritation. "But why is that my business?"

"She… she wants you," Kara replied, feeling jealousy rise in her stomach slightly. Even though he probably hated her, Sesshomaru was hers and she didn't want any other girl near him. It was selfish, yes, but she was so vulnerable and unstable at this moment that she didn't know how else to think or act. She did well to conceal the looming aura of jealousy that was rising and her eyes fixed on the extremely attractive young man who was sitting up on his bed *wearing no shirt*.

"Why is this your concern, Kara? I thought that we were no longer close. You are no longer to situate yourself in my life," Sesshomaru replied, a haughty smirk lighting across his lips, as he looked her over. She was jealous, good. Very good. "If Kikyo wants me then I see no problem wanting her in return," he added, knowing this would piss her off. Kara's eyes widened and he saw her eyes take on a glossy look. You're not going to make me feel guilty this time, Kara. I've had it.

"I thought… I thought you hated Kikyo," The American girl stated, her voice thick as she battled the tears that wanted to splash down her cheeks.

"I do, but is there a law that says I can't want her if she wants me in return?" Sesshomaru asked, gauging her. At that, Kara's hand fisted and it connected with the senior's cheek as hard as she possibly could. Amazingly, it hurt him. She pulled back her fist and stared at him in shock as he cupped his reddened cheek and stared at him. His golden eyes narrowed and he stood up, his height advantage making him more frightening than he all ready was when he was angry.

Kara swallowed, her eyes wide as she trembled, her face expressionless. A tear dropped from her eye and landed on her shirt and her lip shook as she said, "I… I hate you."

Sesshomaru's demeanor softened when she said this and he looked shocked. The rigidness of his stance straightened a bit as he stared down at her.

"And I hope… I hope Kikyo hurts you as much as… as much as you just hurt me you selfish, arrogant bastard," She finished, her voice low and malicious as she turned to leave his room. She did look to him one last time. "I do know that you did care about me once. Like last night… I just didn't see it and I'm sorry…" She said with a sad grimace as she tried to force herself to smile. At that, she went out the door, passing Kikyo in the hallway. Kikyo merely sent her a condescending, arrogant smirk and entered the senior's room, not closing his door all the way. Kara, feeling guilty for saying what she did, went to peak through the crack but felt her throat tighten and her heart go cold.

Kikyo was straddling Sesshomaru, running her hands over his chest as she bent down and kissed him brazenly. The worst part was, Sesshomaru was letting her… He was letting her… Maybe… he really did want Kikyo… Kara couldn't bear to watch anymore so she fled downstairs, her eyes the driest they had been in a long time.

Kara… Sesshomaru thought, hearing her fleeting footsteps as she pummeled down the stairs and immediately realized he had just done a very wrong thing. He had only wanted to make her jealous but it seemed he had gone too far with it. Kikyo had been saying things to him for the past few minutes but he did not hear a thing for his thoughts were only focused on the young woman from the United States that he had come to care about… and love.

"I want to have sex with you, Sesshomaru. I want to know how much of a man you really are. You seem like you would be very passionate in the heat of lovemaking," Kikyo whispered, running her hands down his chest to the buttons and zipper of his pants. Sesshomaru had been very patient but now, was fed up. He had to make things right now. This was definitely not right.

"Get off of me you disgusting tramp," The senior growled, pushing her back, off of him and grabbed her by the arm. "Get out of my house," He snarled, throwing her out the back door none to gently, watching as she flashed him the bird and ran off. Sesshomaru turned back inside and turned on the light for downstairs. "Kara?" he called downstairs, hearing no sounds.

Sesshomaru's eyebrows fixated together as he slowly walked downstairs and knocked on Kara's door. No reply. He then opened the door with ease and felt his heart plummet when all of her belongings were gone. So was she. He felt his chest clench with anxiety and hurt but then he noticed a ripped piece of notebook paper resting on the empty bed. He picked it up and read the small, neat letters that could only be Kara's:

Sesshomaru,

Well, have fun screwing with Kikyo. What we had probably will never amount to the `great' sex you'll get with that slut. I'm sorry for everything I ever did… I… I still care about you; Sesshomaru… and… it just took me until now to notice how much I care about you… I think I love you… Heh, how ironic. I guess it's too late now, hm? Have a great life!

-Kara Billing-san

Sesshomaru's eyes burned as his heart thudded greatly in his chest. He sank down slowly onto the soft bed that Kara had stayed in for almost four months and fell asleep, feeling alone and withdrawn from everything.