InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming ❯ Forgiveness Dance ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Fifteen: Forgiveness Dance

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Kara sat uncomfortably on the bed that she was occupying in the hotel she had come across when she had driven recklessly and in tears away from the Taiyoukai home. She hadn't wanted to leave, but when she saw how low Sesshomaru had stooped, that had been enough for her. The American girl looked down to the picture of her mother and sighed, drying her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Oh mom…" she sniffled, hugging the picture, imagining that her mother was really there, holding her tightly.

"Kara? What is it, honey? What's got you down now?"

"It's… I… I fell in love only to have it projectile like a pile of crap back into my face!" Kara sobbed into her mother's chest.

"Was it that boy Sesshomaru that you had been living with for a while?"

"Yes…" she whispered shakily, drying her eyes again. When had she become such a crybaby? She shouldn't have been hurt so much over just a boy. This isn't a boy… This is Sesshomaru Taiyoukai… she contradicted herself, trying to ease the pain she felt by consulting the image of her mother that her mind had been making.

"Oh, I'm sure it's not so bad. He was a nice boy, wasn't he?" Kara didn't reply, she only stayed silent as her thoughts rolled in her mind anxiously. "I bet he's as torn up and confused about this as you are. You only need to talk."

"I don't want to talk to him!" Kara shouted, throwing her brush against the wall of the hotel room. The `image' of her mother winced and went to pick it up and handed it to her gently, her face lit in a warm, comforting smile.

"Kara-koi, do you love Sesshomaru?" She asked softly, her tone not accusing in any way.

"Yes… even though I wish I didn't at this moment," answered a distraught Kara who let out a shaky breath and ran her fingers through her hair.

"I'm glad you know this. Maybe all he needs is to be confronted about it. Maybe he doesn't even know how he feels or is supposed to feel about you. Like you've told me before, he's complex, one of the most complex people you've ever gotten to know. Give it time, just give it time," Kara's mother finished, patting her daughter on the shoulder as she went to sit on the adjacent bed. The young woman with azure eyes sat, trying to figure out what she should do at this point.

"Hey mom?" She asked, breaking the peaceful silence that had lapsed between the both of them.

"Yes?"

"Should… I mean… should I… call him?" Kara asked meekly, her voice sounding extremely unsure. The image of her mother smiled and nodded, handing her the cell phone that was sitting next to her on the bed. "Am I doing the right thing?" she questioned her mother's image, hoping for an answer.

"Follow your heart. It will never steer you wrong Kara. That's all I can say now. I'm being called back up. You know how that is. They need me back there in heaven now to bake my famous cake. Love you, honey," Kara's mother said with a goofy smile as she waved and disappeared.

Kara took a deep breath and closed her eyes, shaking her head while she giggled a little bit. My memory is so good. Mom would actually say something like that, she thought, returning to the matter at bay. The cell phone was in her hand, her fingers near the keypad. She licked her lips and dialed the memorized number, tentatively raising the phone to her ear as she listened to the faint buzzing of the telephone ringing on the other end of the line. Then, someone picked up. Kara broke out into a sweat and clutched her cell phone, her mouth feeling dry.

"Yeah?" came the wholly recognizable voice on the other end. Kara growled and let out the breath she had been holding.

"Inuyasha! You just scared the shit out of me!" she yelled at him, feeling guilty afterwards because he probably didn't have the slightest clue of what she was talking about.

"Kara? Oh Kami-sama! Kara? Why the hell did you leave? Sesshomaru is out looking everywhere for you!" Inuyasha barked into the phone, making Kara wince. Her eyes widened at the news he was giving her.

"He's… he's out looking for me?" She asked, her voice sounding surprised.

"Yeah! Why the hell did you go out and do something so stupid? What even happened?"

Kara groaned and flopped backwards onto the hotel bed and closed her eyes, massaging her temples with her free hand. "Inuyasha, does Sesshomaru have a cell phone with him?" she questioned him, crossing her fingers.

"Uh, yeah. Why?" Came Inuyasha's bewildered and worried reply.

Kara licked her lips and told herself she was doing the right thing. "Tell him… To meet me in the lobby of Hotel Tokyo at eight, ok? Can you do that for me?"

There was a beat of silence on the other end of the line. "Sure. Sure, I can tell him that," Inuyasha replied, his voice calmed and measured. "But please tell me this. When did you guys suddenly take a turn for the worst? I mean… I have never seen Sesshomaru care so much about a person before. He acts very different around you and that's special."

"It… It's a long story, Inuyasha. One that I'm not emotionally stable enough to tell at this point in time, I apologize. Will you tell him my message, please?" Kara answered him, sitting up, running a hand through her tangled hair.

"Yeah. Well… I guess I'll see you, Kara. I'm sorry you had to leave," Inuyasha replied. "Bye."

"Sayanora," Kara said softly, pressing the end call button on her cell phone. She took a deep breath and gathered her things to take a shower. It would be eight o'clock in an hour and she was sure this was going to be the longest hour she had ever lived through.

**

"I know where she's at," Inuyasha told Sesshomaru softly and gently, hoping to not get his elder brother more angry and concerned than he all ready was.

Sesshomaru attempted to keep himself composed but his voice ended up coming out harsh and irrational sounding all the same. "Well? Where the hell is she?" he barked, wincing at his own furious and stressed tone.

"She said she's at Hotel Tokyo. She wants to meet you in the lobby at eight, ok? You might want to shower because you probably look like hell. You sound like it too. She sounded like she wanted to talk to you about something," Inuyasha finished, sighing when Sesshomaru hung up the phone without saying goodbye.

Sesshomaru drove home leisurely, feeling slightly relieved that he knew where she was but was feeling slightly perplexed that she would want to see him again. What did they have to talk about? He shook his head of those thoughts and parked his car out of the street, going inside and down the stairs to take a shower. 45 minutes until I see her in the Hotel lobby, he thought, turning on the water to the shower, stripping out of his clothes to step inside and cleanse himself of physical dirt and grime and the emotional flexes his heart had taken over the past three days.

While in the shower, the senior's thoughts returned to the note she had left him earlier on the bed.

I… I think I love you…

Sesshomaru closed his eyes and took in a deep breath, calming himself while he washed his body, allowing the steam to relax his extremely tense muscles and his bewildered and shaken heart.

**

Kara sighed nervously as she tied her long, damp wavy hair back into a half ponytail and looked herself over in the mirror. She wanted to impress him with the way she looked but she didn't want to overdo it. I think I made the right choice, she thought, smoothing out a wrinkle in her nice black pants and straightened the light blue shirt she was wearing. Kara turned to look at her clock and swallowed hard when she saw that it was 7:55. He'd be down in the lobby five minutes, she hoped.

Taking a quick drink of water out of the hotel cups to cure her nerves and her sudden anxious thirst, she exited the room, going down the hall to the elevator where she pressed the L1 button. On the way down, she was in the long and tall elevator car with a very creepy looking old man, one who was leering look in his eye and a creepy grin splattered across his old, wrinkled face. As soon as the elevator rang for the first floor, Kara got off so she wouldn't be stuck with that old fart again. He was scary.

Kara used the stairs the rest of the way down, exiting the small room and walked further into the nicely decorated lobby where there was soft music playing in the back round. There were nice, large comfortable chairs situated to the left so she went and took her seat on the couch, waiting patiently to see if Sesshomaru would come. Her gaze was distracted however as her attention was drawn to the spouting waterfall across the room and she smiled softly because it was very serene and added a soft mood to the all ready comfortable atmosphere of the hotel lobby.

**

Here it is, Sesshomaru thought to himself as he parked his car and got out, tightening his damp ponytail. He stared at the large hotel building and took a deep breath, not knowing why he was so anxious and nervous. This was just Kara. Kara whom he had dishonored and betrayed worse than what she had done to him… Damn it, Sesshomaru growled in his head as he stiffly walked to the revolving door in the front, gliding through with ease and looked around, his golden eyes immediately finding whom he was searching for.

She was distracted at the moment, staring at the tranquil water fountain. Her hair was hanging loosely down her back with half of it tied up in a ponytail; her azure eyes were glazed over with fascination. She was a true image of loveliness and he did not want to spoil it. He was discovered though, when she turned her head slightly. Her eyes widened briefly and she looked a little panicked. Sesshomaru panicked inwardly in return, hoping mask his anxiety as best he could.

He's here. I guess he got the message, Kara thought as she sent him a soft smile and waved at him very shyly. At that gesture, the senior walked slowly over to her and nodded to her, his eyes scanning her over. "Hello, Sesshomaru."

"Hello, Kara," he replied, his voice emotionless. Kara pointed to the chair that was beside the couch and Sesshomaru sunk down into it carefully, hoping that none of his bones would break because he felt very brittle and on edge at this moment.

There was a silence that passed between them and but then suddenly, they each had something to say to each other and cut each other off. Kara laughed in embarrassment and Sesshomaru let out a grunt of amusement.

"You may go first. You are a lady after all," The senior said, his chivalrous nature and gentleman-like qualities coming into play.

Kara nodded but an awkward blush rose to her cheeks at the question she wanted to ask him. She couldn't do this in public! What was she thinking? "Hey," she said, standing up. "Do you want to go for a walk?"

Sesshomaru eyed her in bewilderment for a moment before he nodded and got up from his chair as well. They exited the hotel and started to walk along the darkening streets as the street lights started to come on. Kara sighed and looked up to the blackening sky, her eyes wide with wonder. "Isn't the sky lovely tonight?" she asked him for lack of anything else to say. She didn't want to ask him yet. Things felt way to awkward right now.

Sesshomaru's eyes drifted down to the high school girl and he looked her over, noting that she didn't know what to do about her anxiety and nerves either. Choosing to play along with her little game because he did not know anything else to do, he replied, "Yes," curtly.

Neither talked for a few moments as they walked leisurely, side-by-side, the sounds of a few cars acting as back round music. Kara sighed and cleared her throat, hoping that she would be able to get what she needed to off of her chest. "Sesshomaru," she said, looking up to see if she had his attention. She did indeed because his golden eyes were staring down at her, waiting for what she was going to say next.

"Yes?" he replied softly, encouraging her to go on.

"Did you… Did you get the note I left you?" the junior girl asked softly, her cheeks glowing at the memory of what she had written.

"Yes. In fact, I have it with me right now," the tall, handsome young man beside her replied, pulling out a crinkled piece of paper from khaki pants he was wearing. Kara gazed up at him, her eyes shining in appreciation but she went back to what she was saying.

"I… Everything that I feel is in that piece of paper… I shouldn't have even called you here," Kara mumbled, walking slightly ahead of him as she crossed her arms. "Besides," she said over her shoulder, her eyes meeting his. "Kikyo is probably a better and more experienced kisser than I am. She can probably do a lot more in bed than I can too."

Sesshomaru felt a pang of guilt and ran a hand over his hair and through his ponytail, taking in a deep breath. "Kikyo is a filthy #####," He told Kara sincerely as he caught up to her, their feet falling into step as they continued to mosey along.

"You didn't stop her from kissing you," Kara mumbled, raw hurt replenishing itself in her chest. She sighed and raised a hand to tangle through her mahogany and chestnut waves but gasped when a large hand rested on her shoulder and stopped her movement, turning her to look at him.

"I… I was wrong for doing that," Sesshomaru said, his golden eyes unsure and anxious as she looked him over for signs of deceit. There were none. Kara's breath quickened at his close proximity and his hand that was resting on her shoulder. "I wanted to make you jealous… and… in doing that… I pushed you further away…"

Sesshomaru wasn't looking at her anymore; he had withdrawn his hand also. His hands were now shoved into his pockets. Kara stared at him in shock. Oh Kami-sama! He just… He just apologized to me! "I… I'm sorry too," she said softly, catching his eyes when he looked up at her in surprise.

"What do you have to be sorry about?" He asked her quietly.

"I… I pushed you away when you were only trying to help me… I was wrong too. And… I'm sorry I said I hated you…" Kara elaborated, pulling one of Sesshomaru's hands from his pockets and stroked it softly, minding the tender flesh on his knuckles. "I feel far from it," she whispered, kissing his hand softly.

Sesshomaru was stunned and didn't move. He didn't know he could move. What was he supposed to do know? Kiss her? Take her back to his room and have her spend the night? He had never ever been in a situation such as this before.

Kara returned his hand to him and smiled up at him, giggling softly. "I'm glad we're ok now. I was… I was afraid we'd hate each other for forever," she added, meeting his eyes that looked so much more relieved than they did moments ago.

"I felt the same way," Sesshomaru replied and slid his arm around her, pulling her in for a light hug. Kara leaned into him, resting her head on his chest as she slid her arm around his waist as well. She let out a breath and smiled up at him, watching as he smiled softly down to her as well.

"Hey," she whispered. "Are you going to the dance tomorrow?"

"I was thinking about it," Sesshomaru replied into her hair, rubbing his hand up and down her arm.

"Good, because I'll meet you there," she told him and pulled away from him. "I'm going to go back to my room now," she added. "Want to walk me back?"

Sesshomaru nodded and walked along beside her, dropping her off when she got into the hotel.

**

"Oh Kagome. I don't know about this one. I hate last minute shopping like this!" Kara whined, coming out of the dressing room. Kagome looked the velvet strapless lime green dress that Kara was wearing over and stuck out her tongue symbolizing that it definitely would not work out.

"Um… Why don't we try lavender or a purple color or something," Kagome replied, going towards the rack of dresses again. "It's lucky for you that all of these are marked down because it's the end of the year. We'd better hurry if you want my mom to do your hair," she added, browsing through all of the dresses.

"OW!" Kara yelped. "My bra is caught!"

Kagome giggled and her eyes widened when she found a simply beautiful dress. "Oh Kara! Put this on!" She screeched and threw the dress over the door of the dressing room. "That will look so good on you, I'm sure of it!"

"Ok! Putting it on!" Kara replied, sliding into the dark violet dress and threading the straps over her shoulders. "Oh Kami-sama! It's gorgeous!" She fretted, coming out of the dressing room. Kagome's eyes widened and she giggled.

"You look like an exquisite princess," The junior girl giggled. "Do you want that one? I think I have shoes you can borrow at home that will match it," Kagome added.

"Are you kidding? I am so getting this!" Kara exclaimed and stripped out of it, getting back into her own clothes. She and Kagome went to the counter and Kara paid for her purchase and they left the mall in haste, going to a restaurant to eat a quick lunch. "Well, we have about three hours. I'd say that's enough time to get ready, wouldn't you say?" Kara asked as she wolfed down her food.

"Yeah, I'd say it is but we should get back just in case. So… are you and Sesshomaru officially ok now?" Kagome questioned the other junior who was in the car as Kara drove them back to Kagome's house.

"Yeah, it took a while and made me feel like hell but I guess everyone has to go through that sometimes," Kara replied, pulling into Kagome's driveway where they got out and rushed into her house to take showers and get ready for the dance tonight.

**

"Nervous?" Inuyasha asked, seeing how Sesshomaru was sitting stiffly in a chair in the living room. The senior just rolled his eyes and growled at his brother. "I'm going to go pick up the girls so are we meeting you at the dance or are you coming?"

"I'll come. I'll pick up Kara, I suppose," Sesshomaru said, going out to his car and went to Kagome's house before Inuyasha, just to piss the junior off. He went and knocked on the door, regarding how nice Kagome looked when she opened the door.

"Oh! Hi, Sesshomaru. Don't you look, handsome," she teased, poking at his nice suit. "Kara should be out in a second. You'll be stunned. She looks very good," Kagome whispered, winking at him and disappeared back into her house.

"Are you all set? Sesshomaru's here now," Kagome asked Kara as she was finishing up glossing her lips. Kara nodded and smiled, whirling around. "You look really pretty, Kara. You'll knock his socks off," Kagome added, giggling.

"Hey! We all want to get a move on but these stupid girls are holding up the ride!" Inuyasha yelled into the house.

"Well. I guess your escort's here," Kara laughed as the two of them exited Kagome's room and went out into the front yard where the boys were situated. Inuyasha's eyes were wide and Sesshomaru looked mildly surprised himself.

"Holy… Who are these chicks?" Inuyasha asked his elder brother teasingly.

"Don't we look purty?" Kara asked in a childish voice as she approached Sesshomaru and poked at his suit. "You look very grown up and handsome, Sesshomaru."

"You look lovely, Kara," He told her softly so Inuyasha and Kagome could not hear. Kara's cheeks glowed and she smiled at him as she opened the door to his car and helped her inside.

"Thank you," she whispered in response, her eyes shining at him as he started the car and drove them to the school.

**

The lights were dim as a couple slowly danced around to the low music playing in the back round at the dance. They had forgotten about the presences of the other occupants of the dance because they were so engrossed in each other.

Her body was so close to his, yes. It was the opportune moment. She was vulnerable and off her guard at this time, her fiery nature seeming to have tamed for the moment, following the soothing melody of `This I Promise You' as her arms were resting on his chest. Her azure eyes were half lidded, giving a dreamy and hazy appearance to the over all presence of her face. He would have hated himself months ago for thinking such a thing but now, it seemed right. She exhaled softly and the arrogant senior was brought out of his musings when something warm lay on his chest. He tensed and looked down to see her eyes closed peacefully, her lips turned up in a content smile, as she lay comfortable on his muscled body. His arms pulled her closer as he nuzzled in her soft wavy almond hair, closing his own eyes in the tranquility that brought him. He was touching her, holding her… He never dreamed he would have ever gotten so closer to her.

"Sesshomaru…" She whispered, looking up. Azure caught gold in the dim lighting of the high school gym. "I'm confused…" She finished, her head finding a more comfortable position against his sultry chest.

"So am I," He muttered into her hair when she re-adjusted herself into his body.

"I thought we were enemies. You hated me. I hated you…" She smiled and a small giggle escaped her lips. Sesshomaru looked down into her face and raised one of his eyebrows delicately.

"What is it you find so amusing Kara?" He asked wondering why she was laughing at him suddenly. She sighed and gazed up into his stunningly handsome face.

"It's strange that we started out with negative feelings but…" She swallowed, her cheeks starting to glow crimson. "I think that even though you are rude, supercilious, arrogant and cold, that I may have not looked deep enough when I first met you," she finished, clearing her throat, her little confession making her feel slightly uncomfortable. Sesshomaru stared at her a moment, his comprehension dawning on him.

"What do you want from me?" He whispered in her ear, rubbing his nose softly against her ear.

"It's not what I want. It's what you want," she replied, tilting her head back when his nose probed slightly down her neck. Her face was fully red now and she felt a heat pooling in her stomach. She was anxious now, but why? Did it really matter if he wanted her or not? It was clear that they both cared about each other deeply but she had to know if they were going to be official or not.

Kagome looked over towards the dancing couple and smiled, telling Inuyasha to look quickly. "Look at them. Aren't they cute?"

"I guess so. I think something's going to happen tonight," Inuyasha whispered to Kagome, kissing her softly on the lips before he pulled back and escorted her to get some punch.

Sesshomaru drew back, an amused smirk hinting across his lips at her flushed face and the quickening of her breathing. "It is clear that you desire me, Kara." He chuckled and watched as she pushed away from him slightly, her eyes narrowed in anger and disappointment.

"Don't toy with me! I was being honest!" She snarled through grit teeth. Why was she so hurt by this? Sesshomaru reached around her body, his hands holding her about the way in a gruff manner.

"Who's toying?" He hissed in her ear before his mouth descended down onto her own. Her eyes snapped shut reflexively as his hot and pliant mouth worked against hers. She groaned against his mouth, allowing him to search her as she tangled her fingers in his beautiful silvery-white ponytail that was hanging loose down his back. "Ever since you first pissed me off I've wanted you, Kara. Never forget that," he whispered against her skin as he nipped his way down her neck and then drew back. "I thought you would have figured it out…"

"I'll never forget it," she whispered before she pulled down his head for another kiss, breaking away and dragging him out of the dance so they could become more intimate. It was true, they loved each other. They truly loved each other.

Sesshomaru crashed her up against the wall of the alley behind her apartment, feeling her small body beneath his own as he struggled to taste and feel more of her. She arched against him when he came to the folds of her dress.

Feeling gave into passion and passion gave into the loss of control on both sides. Sesshomaru kissed Kara one last time before they both dressed themselves. He was winded but the young woman who had driven him to lose his control was having a little more trouble moving. "Ow…" she whispered as she stood up, moving around a little before collapsing onto his body for support. "Who thought losing my virginity would be so painful? This is all your fault," she mock accused as she poked him in the stomach.

"I'm sorry, Kara. I'll never do it again," he replied in sarcasm, his hand running down the contours of her back and then up again. He never wanted to leave her again. She was his first and after that… pleasant… experience, he wanted her to be his last. He felt attached to her some way, even though it would be considered weakness. He shook his head, clearing it of all his scattered thoughts.

"I've got to go to the hotel. My mom's probably worried sick," She giggled and cracked her back, moving stiffly. Before she could leave, Sesshomaru kissed her forcefully and she replied by adding her feeling. "Aishiteru…" she whispered as she started to cross the street.

"I love you too…" He replied into the wind, knowing she would never hear it. He turned himself and started to head home, feeling different and strangely content now that Kara was his. That was until he heard the crashing of a vehicle and a scream that could only belong to her…

(A/N: Sorry that some of the chapter was part of the prologue but I changed it a little bit! Please review! The next chapter should be the last one so we're getting towards the end!)