InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ Harsh Realities ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fan Art Announcement:
 
One of my reviewers from the other site where my stories are posted, Inu Faceness (aka Sara) did a drawing from one of the chapters of this story that I think is absolutely beautiful. The link is below, and again, anyone else who has drawn pictures and posted them somewhere, let me know so I can give you due credit here in the story as well as on my profile page. Thanks so much, Sara!
 
http:www.deviantart.com/deviation/13952418/
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Fourteen: Harsh Realities
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I take credit for several of the historical ideas, facts, and realities I have taken and used.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
What a magical evening. I can still recall, to this day, that first concert, though since then I have organized many like it, as is my duty as the Queen of this fine country. And, in all honesty, now that I have more experience, the concerts are far grander, far more extravagant and awe-inspiring then anything I could have dreamed of that first year. Still, no matter how many masques, concerts, masses, and balls I plan, for some reason, that night in the ancient monastery when the cathedral was lit with candles and Inuyasha stared at me with his warm amber eyes will be forever more ingrained in my mind. It was the first time I truly felt valued among the court, the first time Kikyou showed open affection for me since I'd first arrived, and the first time Inuyasha looked at me with such obvious tenderness.
 
Inuyasha…
 
Ah, my hand still trembles just thinking about him. I am truly a woman blessed to love a man so, and to know, with confidence, that I will love him just as much in fifty years as I do now. And, of course, I will have plenty of time to test this theory as I inherited his life along with his vow of devotion and fidelity.
 
But what am I talking of? I am getting far too ahead of myself.
 
After the concert, the court moved on towards the South, and the home of Queen Kagura. No one seemed particularly excited about this, which had me puzzled, but I quickly ascertained that the South was not known for its hospitality, and I would learn this soon enough on my own.
 
But more then that, more then merely being insulted by a rude host, this one stop would change my life, and the life of my sister and Inuyasha, for good and forever. It would set the three of us down a road that, once taken, was barred to prevent any of us from turning back. Oh God, to have known then what I know now…and yet, if I had, would anything in my life have turned out the way it did? Would I have the man I love in my arms and in my bed every day? Or would I be in the North at this very moment, this memoir being written instead by the other Higurashi sister?
 
Who is to say…and yet, even as I think about it, I still can't help but wonder if any of this joy, this happiness that I have now, was worth the sacrifice that was made in the end.
 
Oh Kikyou…
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
A soft tapping noise filled the currently empty hall as the woman continued tossing a small diamond-shaped emerald in the air, catching it with a pat in her palm. Lounging lazily in her throne, her eyes hooded and dark, her brown hair pulled back and away from her face in a clasp of purple stones, she looked every inch the seductress.
 
Naraku watched her with an amused smirk as he leaned against the far wall, his arms crossed and his head turned towards the floor, only his eyes any indication that he was paying attention to what was going on around him at all. “You wouldn't be nervous, would you, Kagura?” He smirked. “Mighty Queen of the South that you are?”
 
The dark haired woman eyed him with a fixated glare. “It would be good for you to remember that you are here only thanks to my charity, Naraku…and if you annoy me any more I shall cast you out without a second thought.”
 
A dark chuckle radiated from the brown-haired, red-eyed man. “You wouldn't throw me out yet, I don't think, because your jewels have not yet arrived.”
 
“Hn,” She grunted and shifted in her seat, still continuing to play with the jade stone, “For all I know you lied to me about that too. As of yet my men have found no indication that there is any shipment of gold or jewels headed this way on the roads.”
 
“You don't trust me, Kagura?”
 
She smirked. “Not in the least.”
 
He nodded. “Then you're wiser than I thought. But never fear, your treasures will arrive soon enough, and then you'll be thanking me and feeling that this incredible burden,” his voice was laced with sarcasm, “Was worth it.”
 
“It is a burden to house someone like you,” she replied crisply. “After all, you're a convicted criminal.”
 
“Who was pardoned by the King himself.”
 
“And why any man would be stupid enough to pardon you, I cannot understand.” She eyed the man carefully with her own dangerous eyes. “It's obvious you're nothing but trouble.”
 
He shrugged. “Not to the country, dear Queen…only to a particular woman. And perhaps her fiancé too, since it was his father who put me away in the first place.”
 
Kagura laughed. “And you think that by killing the King you're not going to bring chaos to the country as a whole?” She shook her head and glanced towards the large round window that gave her a view of the road to her castle. “Not likely…if the King dies, chaos will most surely follow.”
 
“I didn't know you put so much stock in the rule of the King.”
 
She shrugged. “I don't…at least, not in the sense you're thinking. But I do recognize that, without a King, this country would be plagued by civil war once more, like it was before Inutaisho brought everyone together to enjoy these times of peace. And I, for one, don't particularly like war…it's positively awful for the economy.”
 
Naraku laughed. “You certainly are a fickle woman, that's for sure.”
 
“Indeed I am, because I'm giving you shelter and a place at court. After all, only one nobleman or woman needed to invite you back into the court circle, and since I have you cannot be banished unless you commit some crime again.” She narrowed her eyes. “But I expect to be rewarded, Naraku.”
 
The warning was clear; Queen Kagura had taken him in three weeks ago, after he had spent nearly a week trying to catch the court itself, but couldn't keep up. In the end he discerned the location of their next stop, and went there instead, prepared with bags upon bags of riches to bribe whoever the ruler was. And he had found Kagura, a ruthless woman who, while not exactly cruel, only did things to suit her own interests, which meant that, in this case, she would give him food and shelter and an invitation back into the circle of Inuyasha's court, so long as he provided her with the promised amount of gold.
 
“You will be, Kagura,” He assured her, though inwardly he smirked to think of the fact that there was no gold. He was as poor as a mouse, and living off of charity…if one could even call it that. But still, somehow, he'd managed to gain several outfits fit for the traveling court, as well as a horse to participate in hunts.
 
Before their conversation could continue several horns sounded from outside, and both Kagura and Naraku moved to the window to find a large train of people, horses, and carriages approaching the castle gate. There was no doubt who it was, since Inuyasha's long silver hair gleamed in the sunlight, two women of nearly identical appearance on either side of him.
 
Naraku watched everyone carefully, noting, even from a distance, the differences between Kagome and Kikyou so he wouldn't make any mistakes. But then, he knew he wouldn't, because the image of the woman he had loved was forever more imprinted in his brain; burned there through several years spent in darkness, waiting for freedom and revenge.
 
“So Kikyou,” he muttered, and Kagura gave him a surprised look before smirking knowingly.
 
“Don't stand there and gawk,” she finally snapped at him childishly, “We have to go and greet them. No doubt they will be anxious to meet their newest court member.”
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
The castle of the South was dark and looked old and uncared for, causing Kagome to instantly miss the bustling hallways and glamorous ceremonies of Bankotsu's court. Everything there had been so lavish, and this was practically the exact opposite, with sparse decorations and no gardens or trees…just a castle, made out of stone, and looking dark for some reason at that moment.
 
“This is certainly no beautiful place,” Kikyou commented, reading Kagome's thoughts exactly, and both she and Inuyasha nodded in reply.
 
“The South has never been known for its hospitality,” Inuyasha answered the comment with another observation. “I remember mother taking me here, and always getting stuck in a cold room with hardly any kindling for a fire.”
 
“How awful,” Kagome made a face and looked back at the castle again, as though to strip it of its mysteries and understand why the ruler, the Queen, would be so careless when it came to her guests.
 
But before she could make any more observations a new trumpet tune sounded, and the great doors of the palace opened to reveal a lone figure approaching, dressed in a gown of light purple highlighted in pink velvet. Her hair was dark and pulled back behind her head, her face pale and her eyes a strange, almost red color. When she smiled at them in welcome, Kagome sensed no kindness in her expression whatsoever.
 
“Welcome, Your Majesty,” the woman commented kindly, making a sweeping curtsy before rising to her feet once more. “I am Kagura, Queen of the South, and I welcome you to my home.”
 
Inuyasha grunted and leapt down from his horse, arching his back from having sat for so long in the saddle. “This isn't much of a welcome,” he commented harshly, and she looked down as though out of respect, though Kagome noticed the Queen's eyes flare in anger at the comment.
 
Kikyou came down from her horse next and approached Kagura with a regal, all-knowing gaze, and the way she carried herself, dressed in her gown of red and gold, made her seem, to Kagome at least, more like a Queen then anyone else she had ever seen. The crown might as well have already been on her head, for she certainly understood how to play the part.
 
“You must be Kikyou,” Kagura continued, nodding in acknowledgement, before glancing at Kagome, “And you must be her sister, the chosen Summer Maiden.”
 
Kagome slid off her horse and onto the ground, adjusting her light blue skirts quickly with her hands. “I am,” she replied stiffly, hating the fact that Kagura hadn't even said her name…once again she was simply Kikyou's sister.
 
“And I expect you to show her the same respect you show me,” Kikyou snapped harshly, though she didn't seem at all flustered. Her tone was crisp and full of meaning, but otherwise she was a perfect image of ease and calm.
 
On the other hand, Kagura looked ready to burst from rage as she nodded. “Of course.”
 
She stepped beside Kikyou and Inuyasha, and Kagome was left to follow behind, just ahead of the court, but not quite on par with the nobles ahead of her, which truly did leave her feeling very alone. How she missed Bankotsu, with his flirtatious gestures and kind words. Whether or not their flirtation had been meaningful, the handsome King had made her feel warm and valued, and now, in contrast, this drab, cold palace along with its icy Queen made her feel very unwelcome.
 
Briefly, she made a mental note to write to Bankotsu as soon as she was settled in her rooms as she had just recently received a letter from him inquiring after her health, along with a new gown of burgundy that he had commissioned for her in the style that she loved so much. Truly, she decided, if not for her prearranged engagement, and his oath to not marry…well, who was to say what would happen, especially since her mind was constantly drawn back to a man with amber eyes and silver hair?
 
But that was the furthest thing from her mind as she walked slowly, gracefully, making sure not to trip or do something foolish that would embarrass either herself or Inuyasha. Instead, all she could think about was the fact that Kikyou had just defended her honor in front of a Queen.
 
Why?
 
Furrowing her brow, she tried to recall every conversation they'd had together since she'd come to court over three months ago, tried to decide if there had ever been a moment when she had said or done something to warrant Kikyou's gratitude. But nothing came to mind. In fact, the only times they had ever been civil had been that evening of the ball at Miroku's home, and then again after she'd finished performing the concert for the court.
 
In the end, Kagome just gave up altogether, deciding her sister was a puzzle she just didn't have the mental energy to work through at that particular moment.
 
Unfortunately, she was so engrossed in her thoughts that she failed to notice the fact that they'd walked through the palace doors and into the grand entryway that was built with high, arching ceilings made of stone, a grand staircase leading upward before them while several hallways led into other rooms…no doubt for feasting and dancing as those were usually situated on the first floor. It was an empty place, Kagome decided, their footsteps echoing everywhere, along with any utterance of sound, and no tapestries or paintings lined the walls.
 
Truly a place that said, in nearly every window, nook, and cranny, that visitors were not welcome. Thankfully their stay would be brief.
 
But Kagome had little time to think on that as she ran straight into Kikyou, who stumbled forward with as much grace as she could muster as Inuyasha caught her hand to steady her. The older sister straightened her gown and cap before turning a warning stare on Kagome's face, to which the younger girl blushed in embarrassment and mouthed an apologetic `sorry'.
 
Kagura chuckled at this and brought the fan she had been holding in her hand to her face to hide her smirk, though she still clearly intended for everyone to see it. “Clearly your sister still has much to learn about etiquette and grace at court, Lady Kikyou.”
 
Kagome's cheeks reddened even more, and Kikyou's eyes hardened in warning as she straightened her shoulders. “My sister has more elegance then most women I know, and you would do well to remember that, Your Majesty.” She spat the title as though to mock the woman before her, to which Kagura narrowed her eyes.
 
As for herself, Kagome could only gape, right along with Inuyasha, whose jaw had dropped clear to the floor in shock at the unusual show of sisterly affection put on by his fiancée.
 
It was strange that Kikyou Higurashi, who had been born and raised in the country, far from court and the life of nobility, should carry herself with more pride, honor, and grace then this Queen, who had no doubt been born into her rightful station and raised from her first breath to believe she was worth far more then the common man. It only emphasized the fact, to Kagome, that Queenship was not something to be handed around lightly, and that, to be a Queen one had to be beyond unique; they had to be extraordinary.
 
Perhaps Inuyasha had his reasons for choosing her sister as his wife after all, other then her beauty, and that even though love didn't come off them as a couple in obvious clouds, they were more alike then people realized. The thought caused Kagome's heart to sink slightly, and she resisted the urge to turn and run away.
 
Finally, after several uncomfortable moments, Kagura seemed to recover her poise…if what she had could be called that…and clapped her hands, several servants instantly appearing to take the many trunks of the ladies and gentlemen of the court up to their rooms. “I'd imagine you all must be very tired after such a long journey.”
 
“A rest would be nice,” Kikyou conceded. “You are too kind.” Again, her voice was as insincere as Kagome had ever heard it, but that was only obvious to one who didn't know her intimately. Her sister truly had learned to play the part of the courtier perfectly.
 
“Of course,” Kagura bowed low, the fake show of cordiality nauseating. “And you and the King shall have the best rooms available, of course.”
 
“As will Kagome.” All three women turned to look at Inuyasha, who blushed slightly as though just realizing what he had said, and how it had sounded. Still, he admirably raised his head a little higher and with his sharp amber eyes dared anyone to contradict his command. “She is the Summer Maiden, and will be treated as such.”
 
“Very well,” Kagura conceded, and nodded to one of the servants, who disappeared outside only to reappear several minutes later lugging several trunks with the beautifully scripted K.H. initials on the sides. Blue and white ribbons trailed off the luggage elegantly, and were the only way Kagome made sure that her things did not get mixed up with her sister, who also put the same initials on her trunks.
 
Deciding she had been silent long enough, Kagome stepped forward and curtseyed as low as etiquette required for a Queen, who was a station above her (though not for long if her marriage went as planned) and smiled politely. “Might I inquire as to the whereabouts of your dining hall, Your Majesty?”
 
“Whatever for?” Kagura's manners were so lacking they made Kagome look like the perfect angel. And she never faltered in her response, swallowing back her nervousness at being so bold.
 
“As the Summer Maiden, it is my job to create seating charts for the official banquets, and in order to do so properly, I must first see where it is we are to dine.” Her grin turned sly. “Naturally, since this is our first evening here, you are hosting an official banquet, are you not?”
 
It was the first time she had put on airs around anyone, let alone a Queen, but for some reason it felt good to Kagome to do so. Kagura had been so rude to her in the beginning, and then, when Kikyou had acted as she did, Kagome had taken that as permission to act accordingly. After all, soon she would be a Queen in her own right, and then their difference in rank would no longer matter.
 
Kagura just hardened her jaw, and her voice, when she spoke, was rank with dislike. “Naturally.” She turned and seemed to remember something, and Kagome suddenly had the image of a card player who had just discovered the trump ace in her hand. She didn't like that thought one bit, and felt suddenly nervous. “But first there is someone I would like you all to meet.”
 
“Someone?” Kikyou and Inuyasha both raised an eyebrow at that, and Kagome thought they had never looked more alike…more suspicious. Honestly, did neither of them trust anything any more?
 
“Yes; he came to me two weeks ago seeking shelter and a place to stay until the court arrived. He has been trying to catch up to the moving court all summer, but finally gave up and decided to head you off instead.”
 
“And why would he want to catch up, as you say, with my court?” Inuyasha demanded, his voice formal. In that moment he seemed every inch the King.
 
“Why else?” Kagura waved her hand nonchalantly, enjoying the fact that she had everyone's attention now. She'd always had a flare for drama. “He wishes to become a part of your court, Your Majesty.”
 
“Without my permission? Keh, I think not…”
 
“Oh, you needn't worry about that.” Kagura ran her fingers absentmindedly through a few stray locks of hair that were purposefully falling at her temples in tight curls. “I have already given him my permission to join your court for the remainder of your Summer Progress.”
 
“You what?!” Kagome jolted slightly as Inuyasha exploded, and watched as she and Kikyou both instinctively moved to his side. If not for the sudden tension in the air, it would have been comical that the King had two nearly identical women clinging to his left and right arms. But with things the way they were, instead it suddenly gave Inuyasha a look of strength, because neither Higurashi sister was a woman to be taken lightly.
 
But Kagura seemed unaffected, and Kagome again had the feeling that they were about to see her trump card. “Oh, forgive me, Your Majesty…did I do something wrong?”
 
She was mocking him now, and Kikyou would not stand for it. She stepped forward slightly and frowned, her face a mask of barely-contained fury. “Don't you dare speak to His Majesty the King in such a tone of voice.”
 
“Of course, my apologies,” but it was obvious that Kagura was anything but sorry.
 
As the silence between them continued, and as the rest of the court comically piled in on itself in the grand entryway, unable to move forward until their King signaled it was alright, but also unwilling to stand outside where the wind was blowing, Kagome finally decided it was up to her to take the initiative and try to make peace. Stepping forward, she opened her hands, palm up, in a gesture of goodwill, even though deep down she harbored no kind thoughts for the dark woman before her. “Perhaps we could meet this man who has so suddenly joined our progress?”
 
Kagura looked as though that was exactly the question she had been hoping for, because her smirk widened, and she bowed slightly. “Of course; I'm sure he'll be delighted to meet you as well.”
 
As though sensing that some important event was about to occur, the entire court went silent, which meant that when Kagura clapped her hands together the sound echoed throughout every corner of the palace. It was almost more dramatic then Kagome wanted, and she suddenly felt even more worried.
 
A pair of grand doors to their left and slightly behind the grand staircase suddenly opened, and the sound of booted footsteps could be heard. The sound was steady and even, which showed whoever was walking toward them had confidence in himself not to falter, and Kagome willed her racing heart to match that steady rhythm, though the annoying muscle refused.
 
The owner of the footsteps rounded the slight curve of the stairs, and suddenly, as though timed by the hand of God himself, every court member sucked in a stunned breath. Everyone, that is, save for Kagome.
 
Unaware of exactly who this man was, Kagome felt no aversion to noting his strong, chorded muscles, his confident, erect posture, and his crisp appearance. He wore a white shirt and black pants, and his pale skin was accented by dark hair that was incredibly long, but neatly trimmed and groomed so that it gleamed. His face was intriguing; very handsome, with sharp features including a well defined chin and high cheekbones, but at the same time his dark, beady eyes gave him an aura of mistrust, and Kagome found herself shivering in spite of herself.
 
She met the man's gaze, but he seemed to see right through her, his eyes intent on someone behind her, and Kagome became vaguely aware of someone chuckling. It was Kagura.
 
“What's the matter, Kikyou? You seem to know this man.”
 
Kikyou?
 
Kagome turned around with a puzzled expression on her face, but recoiled when she saw her normally poised, confident sister look ashen and stricken with fear. What was wrong? And for that matter, why did Inuyasha and his entire court seem to be waiting for a lightning bolt to strike through one of the windows?
 
“Inuyasha…?” She moved to look at the hanyou King, brushing her fingers across his shoulder, and he jerked his head to look at her, his mouth pressed into a grim line. “Inuyasha, what's wrong?”
 
Before he could reply, Kagura stepped forward and took the dark-haired man by the arm, leading him forward as she met Kikyou's gaze steadily, and Kagome realized, with a shiver, that this was the trump card. But who was he…?
 
“May I introduce to the court Naraku,” the dark woman announced confidently, her eyes radiating with mischief.
 
No one raised their hands or offered smiles in greeting, which only added to Kagome's confusion. She tightened her fingers on Inuyasha's shoulder, and he seemed to respond by leaning his body back towards her slightly in silent reassurance. The gesture caused her to smile inwardly.
 
The man called Naraku stepped forward and his lips, dark and seductive in their own way, curved upward into a smirk, and he bowed almost mockingly before Inuyasha before raising his head and meeting Kikyou's eyes. “Well, Kikyou…at last we meet again…”
 
All eyes turned on the older Higurashi sister who, for once, had dropped the mask from her face, and to Kagome, she looked like a frightened, pale little girl. Her breathing had increased, her chest straining against the restraining corset of her gown, and Kagome noted the way Kikyou kept clenching and unclenching her hands at her waist.
 
“Sister…?”
 
But for once Kikyou didn't seem to hear. Instead, her lips moved slowly, her voice stammering one word over and over again. “O…Oni…Onigumo…”
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
“Kikyou, he is asking for you!”
 
The sixteen year old woman, dressed in her simple white nightgown, turned from where she sat staring out of her modest window onto the moonlight courtyard below. Her long hair was falling freely over her body, waiting to be braided for sleep, and her normally composed dark eyes were wild. “What does he say?”
 
Her good friend, Kaguya, walked forward, still dressed in her purple and silver gown, her hair pulled back into a tight, braided bun, her dark eyes full of sympathy. She pulled a hastily folded and sealed letter from her waistband and held it out, her hands shaking. “He just bid me give this to you…”
 
Kikyou snatched the letter away and into her hands, which were longing for some comfort in these suddenly dangerous times. But there was no comfort to be had, for the contents of the letter spoke of her lover's impending doom.
 
“Kikyou?” Kaguya stepped forward. “Kikyou, what does it say?”
 
Her entire body started shaking, and the young woman, feeling utterly wretched, collapsed onto her bed, her dark hair fanning out around her to resemble a pile of raven's wings. “He…he asks me to come to him. He wants me to speak on his behalf at the trial.”
 
The woman still standing gasped and brought a hand to her lips, turning to peer around the door and make sure no one was nearby before quickly slamming the door shut. “You cannot go to him, Kikyou. You cannot testify.”
 
“But Kaguya…”
 
“No!” Her voice was forceful, and Kikyou was in no position to argue. The older girl fell to her knees beside the bed and took her friend's hands, noting how clammy they were. “I know how you love him, Kikyou, but…to testify would mean you would have to tell the entire court about what you have done.”
 
“But he is innocent!”
 
“And while that may be true, the confession of a love-sick woman would do no good! He would still be sent to the Tower, and you would be left disgraced and with no hope of marrying anyone.”
 
Kikyou trembled. “I don't want to marry anyone but him!”
 
Kaguya shook her friend forcefully. “Do you hear yourself? You are willing to throw away your very life for this man?”
 
“But he'll think I've betrayed him!”
 
“You have no choice!”
 
“I cannot leave him to suffer alone!” Kikyou threw herself away from her friend and onto her feet once more, pacing the floor like a caged animal, clutching the letter of her lover in her hands, as though trying to decide whether to press it to her heart or rip it and throw it in the crackling fire of the hearth.
 
Kaguya softened her voice, seeing there would be no reasoning with her, and stood up, trying to sound sympathetic, which she was…to a point. They'd all known Onigumo was not someone to be involved with, but Kikyou had refused to listen, and now here she was, on the brink of becoming a ruined woman.“You have to let him go, Kikyou…”
 
At that, a strangled sob escaped the wretched girl, and she collapsed onto her knees at the windowsill, burying her head in her hands as she held the letter, his letter, to his lips. “I'm sorry, my love…forgive me…forgive me…”
 
“Kikyou, do you hear me?” Kaguya was very afraid. She'd never seen her friend like this. Normally she was so wise, so mature, and so kind. But tonight she looked like an animal…and frightened animals were always at risk of doing something stupid. Kaguya had to stop her from going to that trial.
 
“I hear you, Kaguya.” Kikyou whirled on the woman, her eyes sparking fire and rage. “And I hate you for what you've done!”
 
“I…?”
 
“Yes! All this time you've helped us see one another, carried our letters back and forth, kept our love alive, and now that he is in trouble you betray him and want me to leave him to the wolves! You traitorous bitch!”
 
Kaguya flared at the insult. “You can call me what you like, but I will not have some man who I knew to be trouble from the beginning turn my best friend into an open whore who no man will touch with a ten foot pole unless he has money to offer!”
 
“He is innocent!”
 
“Perhaps this time, but what about all the things he's been accused of over the years that he was guilty of? He was going to get caught eventually, and that is why the court will not listen to you now! That is why King Inutaisho will sentence him to the Tower whether nor not he is guilty this time!”
 
“I will not abandon him!”
 
“And I will not allow him to ruin you!” Kaguya thrust herself forward and caught Kikyou just as the woman made an attempt for the bolted door, which meant instead she had to endure her friend's sharpened nails clawing at her face. “Kikyou, for god's sake, hear reason, I beg of you…”
 
Her tone was desperate, and it seemed to work, because suddenly Kikyou collapsed, her body sagging, and together the two women crumpled to the floor in a heap. “I love him, Kaguya…”
 
“I know,” the older woman stroked her hair gently, as though comforting a mere child. “But if he truly loves you, he would not want you to put yourself at risk. He'd want you to be happy no matter what.”
 
Kikyou just shook her head and looked at the letter, which had been crumpled in her tight fist. “He won't understand…”
 
“Yes he will. Have faith.”
 
“He will think I've betrayed him.”
 
“No, he'll be happy you have a chance to start anew.”
 
But Kikyou wasn't listening. All she could think of was a man with strong hands that would caress her body tenderly, whispering beautiful nothings into her ear that made her shiver with desire. “Forgive me, Onigumo. Oh, my love…forgive me…”
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
“No…” Without realizing what she was doing, Kikyou staggered backwards, her legs turning to jelly, and she started to collapse. Inuyasha instantly jerked out of Kagome's grasp and caught his fiancée against his body, sending a glare at the man who he had just pardoned barely two months before. He'd known then he'd regret that decision, and now this was the price he was meant to pay.
 
Kagome could only watch the scene unfold before her in shock. Her sister had gone rigid, like a petrified statue, before fainting. And yet, all Kagome could think about was how Inuyasha had left her side to be with her sister. It was selfish, and yet that was the only thing her heart could feel.
 
Abandoned.
 
“Kagura,” Inuyasha hissed, sweeping Kikyou into his arms, “You'll pay for this treachery. He is a convicted felon, and should not be allowed among our court.”
 
“A convicted felon, yes,” the dark Queen cooed, “And yet you pardoned him. His sentence has been lifted, and in order for you to warrant banishing him, he must be faced with new charges.”
 
The hanyou's amber eyes flashed at Naraku quickly before back to Kagura, and he growled. “This was your doing?”
 
“Mine?” She chuckled. “Good heavens, no. I would not do such a thing unless I was getting paid. Naraku came to me asking for a sponsor to let him back into the court circle, and since he was willing to pay for it, I agreed to be that sponsor.” Her eyes flicked to the unconscious Kikyou. “I suppose the information was a little too much for her to handle. I would have thought such memories would have faded by now.”
 
Inuyasha made a move to reply, but this time Kagome stepped forward, before the pair, her posture rigid. “You will not speak so to your future Queen,” she hissed. “I may not understand what is going on, but I do know that whatever it is was done on purpose to upset my sister, and all I can say is this: watch yourself, Kagura.”
 
“And what will you do to me, little girl?”
 
Kagome's eyes narrowed dangerously. “I am not someone to be taken lightly…not when it is my family that is threatened.”
 
Clearly Kagura wasn't taking her seriously. “I'll keep that in mind, girl. In the meantime, don't you have some seating chart to plan?” Kagome grit her teeth, and the Queen laughed. “That's what I thought.” She turned to walk away. “If you'll follow me, I'll show you the dining room, and just so we're clear, I hope you don't forget to factor in your newest court member. He'll need a place to sit.”
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes and clenched her fists, but nodded and began to follow. She felt a hand on her shoulder, and stopped to find Inuyasha looking at her with concern. “Kagome…you don't have to plan for a banquet…now isn't really the time.”
 
“I will not be intimidated,” She replied shortly, still smarting from the fact that he'd left her side for Kikyou, and judging by his reaction she could tell that her tone stung.
 
“Kagome…”
 
“I am quite capable of taking care of myself, Your Majesty,” she snapped, reverting back to formalities, which was the sign that she was angry with him. “So just tend to your fiancée, and leave me to my business.”
 
Inuyasha felt as though he'd been slapped across the face by her cold treatment. Kagome was normally so kind…so warm…why was she acting this way? What had he done wrong to warrant this kind of treatment?
 
He watched her walk away, and desperately wanted to follow, but knew he could not when Kikyou lay helplessly in his arms. He'd never felt so torn.
 
Naraku just watched the scene play out before him with avid curiosity, knowing he was witnessing something he hadn't counted on…something that he could play to his advantage. The King was in love, or at least falling in love, with Kagome Higurashi, Kikyou's sister. The irony of that fact was enough to make him chuckle inwardly, unable to believe his luck.
 
So far, other then Sesshoumaru's rejection in the beginning, fate seemed to be entirely on his side. Perhaps he could even assume that since no one was standing in his way, God was on his side and helping him get his revenge?
 
No…
 
He had no God, and whatever God he'd believed in once did not believe in revenge. So he was still on his own, but as he gazed at Kikyou, her beautiful face pale with fear even now as she slept, he felt that didn't matter. All that mattered was that she would finally get what she deserved, as retribution for the hell she'd put him through.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Onigumo paced his cell nervously, running his hands through his hair, which was greasy from several days of not being washed. Anxiety caused his heart to race, and he wondered absentmindedly how long a man could stand to have such high blood pressure as he surely did before he would fall over dead from a heart attack.
 
It had been a full day since he'd sent Kaguya to Kikyou with his letter, and the day of his trial had arrived. But he hadn't heard back from her. Perhaps she was afraid? But no, that was not at all like the woman he loved. Kikyou was strong. So why had she not sent a response?
 
Suddenly the door to his cell opened, and he turned, blinking as his eyes adjusted to the light, to see Kaguya standing before him, looking almost regal in her gown of deep magenta, her eyes hard as flint.
 
He froze mid step, the hope fleeing his heart like a bird would flee a cage. Why did she look so unfamiliar with him, as though she refused to meet his eyes directly?
 
“Kaguya…how fares my lady?”
 
“She is much distressed,” came the distant reply, the woman's voice cold.
 
“I am sorry for that.” He meant it. He had never wanted her to be caught in the middle of such a mess. But he had been wrongly accused to burning down a home in the city, killing a family of four, and now Kikyou was his only hope, for he had been with her the night of the supposed murder.
 
Glancing over Kaguya's shoulder, clearly looking for the comfort of the face of the woman he loved, he felt more and more nervous as she didn't appear. “Where is she, Kaguya?”
 
The dark haired, dark eyed woman looked at him steadily, and for an instant he thought a flash of pity went through her eyes. But it could have just been his imagination. “She's not coming, Onigumo.”
 
He felt something within his stomach drop. “You mean she's not coming here?” He could understand that. Kikyou had always been strong, but still a woman who didn't like the sight of blood or the suffering of others. Of course she wouldn't come here.
 
But Kaguya shook her head again. “No, Onigumo…I mean that she's not coming.”
 
His internal dialogue ceased, and it was as though time had stopped entirely. “What?”
 
“She's not coming. She cannot risk ruining herself by telling the whole world what she has done with you.”
 
“What do you mean ruining herself?” He was now a man gone wild, and a guard instantly appeared as he rushed Kaguya with his fingers stretched to scratch out her eyes. “We did nothing that was not honorable! I pledged myself to her! She has worn my ring for nearly a year!”
 
“But you were never married,” Kaguya's voice remained impassive, though he could tell she was struggling to control herself. “What she has done for you, allowed you to do to her, will be seen as nothing more then whorish tricks in the eyes of the court. And then what will she do? She'll have no chance of marrying anyone.”
 
“She'll marry me!”
 
At that the woman's dark eyes flared. “Do you honestly think you'll escape this time, Onigumo? You've weaseled your way out of many tight corners before, but not this time. This time Inutaisho is bound and determined to put you away…and I swear before God, I will not allow you to take my friend down with you!”
 
“And is that her decision as well?” He was a man gone wild as he struggled against the guard that held him tightly from behind. “Are those Kikyou's words, or your own?”
 
Kaguya allowed her face to glaze over once more. “She will see the wisdom of what I say in time. And if you truly loved her, you would not resent her for this decision.”
 
“How can you say that, you unfeeling bitch? She's my woman…my responsibility…it should be her decision!”
 
“Not when that decision could ruin her!”
 
“She loves me!”
 
“And that is why I'm making the decision for her!”
 
“No!” He felt his entire reality slipping away, and Onigumo knew, in that moment, that he was done for. Without Kikyou's testimony he didn't stand a chance of getting off this time. Kaguya was right…he'd committed too many crimes in his past to expect any mercy. “Kikyou!!”
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Naraku watched Inuyasha walk past him carrying the woman in his arms, gracefully ascending the stairs in one powerful leap, while memories assaulted him that he would rather forget.
 
Onigumo had been weak. Still was weak. And that was why he, Naraku, had been born. Some could call it insanity that caused Onigumo's very being to disappear, but he called it survival. That pathetic, lovesick fool would have died within the first year in the Tower had it not been for him. And now, he knew, they would both have their revenge…and Onigumo would appreciate it in the end.