InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ Rescue From Purgatory ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

POETRY WRITTEN FOR “THE KING'S MISTRESS”!!!
 
An Unbreakable bond
by: Yami Yasha 4ever
 
Who is in the most trouble
You or me?
I don't care about myself
Just as long as you're safe
I will be the shield against the bitter arrows of hate
I will not hesitate getting hurt
If it meant your safety
Sister dear
Does this prove my love and loyalty?
Treason and gossip won't stop me
They are but small dents and scratches on my shield
No matter the risk
I will ride on a beautiful steed
And be your knight in shining armor
Everyone knows we're sisters
And everyone knows my love for you is serene
But they still try
To break an unbreakable bond
Between you and I
A bond not even death can defy
Please forgive me for anything I did wrong
I just wish to protect you
Sister dear
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
FANART! FANART! FANART!
 
More fanart, this time by new artists. The first is a depiction of Kikyou and Kagome in the Tower, and the second is a lovely drawing of Inuyasha and Kagome dancing. Beautiful work, everyone, and please, by all means, continue to send me your stuff so I can see it. I love the fact that this has inspired all of you so much!
 
Artist: so-jealous
http:// www.deviantart. com/ deviation /23092023/
 
Artist: CissboX
- http:// www.deviantart. com/ deviation / 24106098/
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
F.A.Q.
 
Several of you have commented on the religious tone of this story, and I just wanted to remind all of you that the purpose of this is to be as historically accurate as possible. In this era, people were driven more by their religious beliefs than by anything else. True, they behaved almost more scandalously than we do today in terms of extramarital affairs, illegitimate children, whorehouses, etc, but they were still, believe it or not, very driven by their faith. And, in this era (and this is all only just as Henry VIII is causing all of his uprisings, which wouldn't effect everyone else for a while yet), all Christian countries were predominately Catholic. They were only beginning to react to the preaching of Martin Luther, and the Church of England was anything but established at this point in this particular story.
 
I just wanted to point out that I'm not trying to shove religion on anyone, or convert all of you to something you're not (I'm a believer that religion is private, myself)…in this instance I'm just going for historical accuracy. Women in this time carried rosaries belted at their waists, had private places of prayer in their chambers, and many people had private priests, or confessors, for themselves as well who acted as advisors. So that was just to answer several of your observations. No, you're not hallucinating, and yes, they do sometimes seem to have religion everywhere in this story. Frankly, if the truth be told, I've toned it down quite a bit because I would find it stifling if I was too accurate. lol
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Thirty-Two: Rescue from Purgatory
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I take credit for several of the historical ideas, facts, and realities I have taken and used.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
 
Time seemed to have no power any more over our lives. Hours felt like years, and days felt no longer than a mere second. Each morning I'd wake up and allow Yuka to bring me breakfast as I sat on the sill of my window and watched the rest of the court march off to the courthouse, feeling a yearning in my heart as I heard the trumpets announcing that the trial had begun a new day, my fear only alleviating somewhat when the drums would then boom at the end of the day to announce there was, as of yet, no verdict, and that Kikyou was safe for a little while longer.
 
It was torturous to pace the halls of the castle day in and day out, the words of the courtiers from the banquet the night before as they “debriefed” still ringing all too clearly in my mind. I could think of nothing else to distract me for long. I was tired of Shippou's games…it seemed I'd read all the books before…it was too stormy to ride my horse for more than a few hours…
 
Frankly, the only comfort offered to me was Inuyasha. But even in that I wasn't always granted total peace, for there were many moments when he would look at me, or I would look at him, and we would wonder how wrong it was that we should have each other, and take comfort in that, and yet Kikyou had no one. He was guilty as her lawful husband, and I was guilty as her loyal sister. And no matter how one looked at it, we were both in the wrong when we wanted to be.
 
As I suspected, witnesses materialized out of nowhere, offering themselves in droves to testify at the trial, some on Kikyou's side, others against her (for no one was on Naraku's side), but all of them spouting some nonsense or other since, after all, no one had actually seen Kikyou do the deed. And, of course, there was no debate over whether or not it had happened since Kikyou's confession and the baby in her belly made such a debate rather pointless, so instead the debate was over whether or not Kikyou had been so deliberate in her actions that she should be punished by death. But thanks to the witnesses, what should have been a speedy trial easily stretched into a week, moving through the weekend (pausing on Sunday) and into the following week.
 
With each day my nerves were rubbed raw so that I feared they would never fully heal again, but still I was able to contain my anxiety, to a point, knowing that no matter what rumors would circulate I could always rely on Sango and Miroku to report truthfully. And for the first several days nothing was reported that gave me cause to worry, though I was still grateful when Yuka decided to stay with me throughout the day as a companion when Inuyasha and I were ready to strangle one another because we disagreed on how to prepare our breakfast toast.
 
But then, at the end of the seventh official day of the trial, I heard something that caused my blood to run cold. Someone had given the judges cause to believe Kikyou's character was not so pure as she had been trying to convince them since the beginning by bringing up her sins from the past…her affair with Onigumo…the one thing that could possibly ruin her life. And suddenly I saw that it would be impossible to stay away; that I would have to don my armor and ride into battle yet again, though I hoped it was for the last time since my heart was growing so weary of it all.
 
A part of me wanted to ignore the truth before me, that I was the only one who could offer insight into Kikyou's true character (or, at least, the only one with the courage to do so), but then my conscience would remind me that I would never live with myself if I was the reason for Kikyou's downfall and subsequent execution. And so, on the morning of the eighth day of the trial, I woke early enough that I wouldn't alert Inuyasha, called for Yuka, and prepared for the ultimate day of reckoning here on Earth…
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
God did exist, Kikyou had decided. Unfortunately, while most people came to such a conclusion after a glorious revelation or piece of divine insight, she had been forced to her belief through hardship. After all, only God would see fit to punish her so for such a small crime, since she had to believe that everything with the trial wasn't only about Naraku, but also about what had come before…with Onigumo. That had become apparent ever since she'd heard the most recent testimony from a woman who claimed to have all the details about Kikyou's affair with Onigumo, reminding everyone that this was not the Queen's first transgression with this man.
 
And the “confessor” was none other than (and Kikyou still felt her blood boil at the thought) the noblewoman Kaguya.
 
Kikyou could still recall the feeling of complete and utter betrayal the moment she'd seen her old friend appear in the doorway, framed by the free air and sunshine outside the courthouse. Her boots had clicked sharply against the floor, like the drums that would march someone to the scaffold, and suddenly all the confidence Kikyou had felt in her heart that she might escape a death sentence had fled. For there was only one thing Kaguya, a woman who had lived in the country with her two young children for the past three years, would come back to say to the court…
 
And say it she did.
 
She told every last painful detail about her meetings with Kikyou including, most painful of all, the time when Kikyou had allowed herself to be persuaded to leave the man she loved alone in his trial. In that moment, as she stood at her own trial, she had been unable to avoid turning and looking at Naraku, swearing, for just a second, to see a flicker of a familiar roguish smile, the stranger's eyes darkening with love and pain that mirrored her own.
 
“Onigumo…” She whispered his name, but blinked as she recalled the way those familiar emotions had instantly faded as Naraku took charge once more, reminding her that Onigumo had given up his very soul for the purpose of surviving and perhaps one day taking his revenge…a revenge he was now successfully implementing.
 
The man she loved so dearly, so desperately, would never have given himself over to such a dark fate for the purpose of hurting her. He had disappeared thanks to years in the Tower, and now she just had to remind herself that Onigumo was gone, and that she could not afford to again fall into the trap of believing he was still somewhere within Naraku's cruel heart.
 
Yet…
 
Kikyou sighed. She couldn't ignore the reality that she had played an intimate role in creating the monster that now spelled her own downfall. She had abandoned Onigumo after promising to faithfully be at his side. She had denied ever knowing him. She had pursued another, breaking his heart and sending him over the edge of reason, convincing him he had nothing left to lose by giving himself over to complete darkness.
 
No, she decided, if it was God's will that she now be punished for the crime of abandoning her lover, she would accept it with grace and honor. There was nothing else to do, even though she was not entirely without support or hope.
 
Kikyou knew that, if given the chance, Kagome would save her. She had already watched her mother, the noble Marquess, speak on her behalf at the trial, along with her younger brother Souta, who had bravely suffered through the cruel interrogation of Kagura after he had insisted his older sister was a good person at heart. And, on some level, because of such a show of loyalty, Kikyou couldn't help but feel guilty for resigning herself to her fate without much of a fight.
 
Still, she firmly believed it would be better for Kagome and the rest of her family in the long run if she didn't drag their names through the mud with hers. She'd already done that enough already. This battle had now become something between her and the demons she had created with the man she loved.
 
A knock at her cell door brought the young Queen out of her thoughts, and Kikyou rose to her feet to greet the guard, who still managed to give her a bow of respect and a look of apology as though he felt guilty for putting her in such a situation at all. He had a kind, gruff old face, and was clearly a man of tradition and propriety, and to him persecuting a Queen in such a manner was not proper or right.
 
As a reward, Kikyou gave the man a kind smile and a stunning, flirtatious turn of her head…a gesture that had captivated men around her for years…and he returned her smile before motioning for her to follow him out the door.
 
Carrying her head high, Kikyou tossed her long raven hair freely over her shoulder so that it fell down her back, supporting her ever-growing belly with her left hand as she used her right for guidance down the twisted stairwell, feeling weak and sickly and tired, though she refused to allow anyone else to see it. She felt a slight movement in her belly, and warmth flooded her body in spite of her current situation. This child was part of the reason for her predicament, and yet she could not hate it. All she could do was feel a great swelling of pity that it would be born into a world where others would scorn it for being born a bastard child in an unholy union with sinful parents.
 
Mankind could be so cruel.
 
And the worst part was, Kikyou knew that if she were sentenced to death, she would be allowed to carry the child to term only to have it taken from her before her execution, and thus she could not protect it from the cruel words and spiteful remarks of the court, as a mother should.
 
Her only hope was that Kagome would take care of the child, for she knew her beloved sister would never abandon a helpless infant, and that she, at least, would hold no grudge against a bastard child. Her unconditional love of a hanyou was proof enough of that.
 
Kikyou grunted at the thought, wondering if her sister and her husband had grown any closer over the past few weeks, a part of her feeling a stab of jealousy at the thought, while the other more logical part of her knew she could not blame them for feeling the way they did. Frankly, the fact that they'd managed to stay apart for so long was a miracle in and of itself, and she would just have to be grateful for the fact that they cared enough for her well-being to make such a sacrifice at all.
 
At the bottom of the great spiraling staircase, Kikyou was halted by her guard, and she dutifully waited in silence for the rest of the soldiers to arrive and escort her to the courthouse, trying her best to keep her head high and her face blank. She would be damned if she allowed even a small hint of her fear and trepidation to show through her carefully constructed mask. Such a thing was a sign of weakness, and Kikyou Higurashi was not weak. Not any more. Naraku had done his work well, and she would never again trust another man for the rest of her life…no matter how long (or short) that may be.
 
The sound of clattering shields reached her ears, and the proud Queen allowed her eyes to flicker in the direction of the nearby door to the outside world, which opened to allow in the cloudy morning air. She took in a deep breath, savoring the taste of freedom, and once more felt her racing heart calm.
 
But her peace was soon shattered as she saw a new cavalry appear from the opposite stairwell, escorting a man with pale skin and deep, cruel eyes, his long dark hair tied back at the nape of his neck before falling down his back, the usual cruel and seductive smirk in place, giving him a malicious appearance. His broad shoulders were as taught and confident as usual, his chorded biceps hardly masked by his thin white shirt, which was tucked loosely into the waistband of his black pants, and as he saw Kikyou before him his smirk widened just a fraction.
 
She was still just as beautiful, even in her simple red gown, without her jewels or crown, as she ever was, her dark hair still brushed to a sheen, though now it was pulled back with a simple white ribbon rather than being done up in her usual fancy styles. She regarded him with thinly veiled contempt intermixed with pity and, he also knew, love, which still remained despite all that he had done to her.
 
At the sight of such an emotion, Naraku felt a familiar twinge of pain as Onigumo's heart knocked against his, begging to be released, to comfort his former lover in her time of need, and while Naraku felt nothing but disgust for a man who so easily forgave the betrayal of a woman, he still decided to use such a circumstance to his advantage, allowing the old rogue to surface for a fraction of a second as his eyes clouded over with pain and longing, his smirk curving upward into a genuine smile of tenderness.
 
Kikyou felt her body jolt as she saw a familiar look cross Naraku's face, his expression now belonging to that of another man from her past, and her heart constricted in her chest even as her mind warned her against falling into such a trap again. It was how she had fallen before. She could not fall again.
 
And yet, in that moment, he looked so real…so alive…as though he had never left her, despite the fact that he now wore a face that was very different than the one he'd had before…
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
“No!” Kikyou laughed, pushing him away for at least the fifth time that evening. She felt his arm leave her waist as he regained his balance, only to return with an even firmer grip, and she shivered at the seductive warmth of his presence.
 
He leaned in yet again for that kiss which she had, thus far, denied him, and she put her hands on his chest in a weak attempt to push him off, though a part of her heart couldn't deny that after nearly two months this was what she wanted at last.
 
“You would undo me, my lord,” she hissed playfully, a giggle escaping her lips as she felt the effects of the wine she'd drunk earlier that evening take an even firmer grip on her senses.
 
Onigumo laughed at that, his roguish smile melting her heart. “Nay, my lady, I would do much more than that.” He pulled her close, her body pressed tightly against his, as his voice seemed to drop an octave, his tone laced with meaning and desire. “I would own your heart as my own, and keep it with me always, so that you would never look at another man again.”
 
She tilted her head and exposed her elegant neck to his hot breath in a flirtatious gesture as she giggled again. “I should think it would be difficult to never look at another man again, my lord. After all, I should like to see my little brother and my grandfather on occasion.”
 
His eyes turned serious. “You know what I mean, Kikyou.” He stopped moving about entirely, holding her steady like an anchor held a ship, and she instantly sobered, feeling her heart flutter. “You know how I feel about you.”
 
“And I you,” she replied earnestly. “But…” She thought back on all the lessons in propriety her mother had taught her from a very young age; about how to eat dinner at a party, how to speak to different people, how to curtsy, how to address a King, and, most importantly, how to treat men…and which men to avoid. Onigumo was, unfortunately, precisely the kind of man the Marquess had always told her to avoid. “You have felt this way about many women, I suspect,” she finally stated, as her last effort to be proper and push him away.
 
She saw a look of pain flash across his face momentarily before he once more acquired a determined expression. “I have…known many women, it is true,” he said, clearly choosing his words carefully. “But I have never, ever felt this way about any of them. Only you, Kikyou, have made me wish to give up my old life. Have I not proven myself faithful?”
 
Looking away, she knew he could probably feel the way her hands on his chest grew weaker in their protest, his words slowly winning her over to his seductions. “And what would you do once you owned my heart, as you say? Would you lose interest?” It was her deepest fear, and one she hadn't meant to voice to anyone, yet there it was, out in the open for him to do with as he saw fit.
 
Onigumo's face softened, his roguish smile turning genuine for an instant as his eyes filled with an emotion every girl dreamed of seeing, and he ran a hand over Kikyou's cheek gently, delicately, bringing his face down to hover just a few inches away from hers, his breath tickling her nose as he spoke. “I could never lose interest in you, my lady.”
 
She eyed him warily. “How can you be so sure of that?”
 
He laughed, his normal façade once more falling into place. “Because you fascinate me and entice me all at once.”
 
It wasn't exactly romantic in the strict definition, but Kikyou still felt like his brief moment of sincerity had served him well, because she could feel her heart slowly give in, her protective walls collapsing completely as a smile graced her stunningly beautiful face.
 
“And you puzzle me, my lord,” she replied at last. “So I suppose we make quite a pair.”
 
“Indeed.” He moved down to kiss her, and this time Kikyou didn't pull back, feeling as his experienced lips lightly brushed her own, and a shiver ran down her spine as she completely forgot about the shocked faces around her, the women shaking their heads as they watched yet another young woman lose her innocence to a rogue.
 
But Kikyou didn't care, and as she felt Onigumo pull away from their first very chaste kiss she couldn't help but grin like a fool, feeling content in a way she'd never before thought possible. He'd never seemed so handsome before…
 
Onigumo chuckled and tightened his hold about her waist, leading her over to a more secluded corner of the room as he once more lowered his head, this time for the purpose of whispering in her ear. “Will you be mine, Kikyou? Will you be mine forever?”
 
She shuddered at the possessive demand, her heart crying out in joy, but she couldn't find the words to respond, instead simply looking up at him with all of her innocent devotion apparent for him to see. And that was apparently answer enough for him, because he lowered his head to kiss her again, and this time he was not so gentle, wrapping both his arms around her and holding her close, bending her backwards slightly in his insistence, his actions leaving Kikyou stunned and on fire all at once…
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
“Guards, forward!” An aged soldier bellowed in a deep voice, and Kikyou was roughly jerked from her memories to find herself once more looking at an evil smirk.
 
Damn him! She cursed. Damn him to Hell and back! Why could he do that to her? Why was she still such a fool?
 
Quickly masking her surprise with a deadly glare that could rival Inuyasha's older brother, Kikyou turned away, wishing the trial would end if simply so that she wouldn't be faced with him any more. She wanted to forget about Naraku and instead remember Onigumo as he had been without feeling suspicious of a hidden motive.
 
The guards around her began to walk, and she eagerly went with them as they surrounded her in a square formation, separating her from Naraku, her head once more lifted proudly in the air, her back stiff with years of Higurashi pride, which her mother and father had instilled in her since the day she was born. She was a Queen, she reminded herself, and even though that had not protected her from the scrutiny of the courts and the cruelty of men, she would still face her judgment bravely, so that no one could say Kikyou Higurashi was without courage or honor. And she would deny Naraku that one last piece of his revenge in that she would never let him see how much he had truly ruined her life.
 
That was one promise she intended to keep, both to herself and to the memory of the man she had loved in a time that seemed so long ago and like it was yesterday all at once. For him, she vowed, she would not allow Naraku to defeat her spirit, for while Onigumo's spirit had been broken in the Tower, hers was still very much intact. So now she had to fight for the both of them.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Kagome sat perfectly still before her mirror, watching with a feeling of immense detachment as Yuka ran the brushes through her long ebony hair. Her eyes were blank, numb with shock, and her face was a neatly woven mask that deceived everyone into believing she was taking the news rather well. But inwardly, her heart was screaming in pain and fear.
 
Kaguya.
 
The woman Kikyou had trusted; the woman who had first persuaded her to abandon Onigumo to his fate in the Tower.
 
Kagome had been seeking to blame someone for so long that now it seemed almost too convenient that fate would drop such a woman into her lap, and yet she had come back to court to tell her side of the story, and now Kagome found that she had her person to hate, the emotion swirling around her kind heart and gentle spirit like acid would swirl around a beautiful and glistening pearl.
 
She could still see the look on Bankotsu's face as he had come to her the night before after the trial, breaking all lawful rules to tell her the terrible news before she could hear it from anyone else. He had been so reluctant to say how the other council members had taken Kaguya's testimony, but Kagome could see in his eyes, even before he spoke the truth, that the tides of favor had shifted away from Kikyou, and now her sister was in grave danger.
 
“My lady, are you sure this is wise?” Yuka asked, halting her ministrations on Kagome's hair, to which the other woman simply nodded her head slightly.
 
“I have to, Yuka.”
 
“But didn't you promise Kikyou you would stay away?”
 
“I have stayed away as long as I could. And I won't do anything that could put me in danger. But I still have to try and help, or I would never be able to live with myself.”
 
Kagome watched the mirror and saw her friend's reflection sigh in reluctant defeat before she placed a supportive smile on her face once more. “Very well, Kagome. Then what shall I do with your hair this morning?”
 
Glancing over at the clock and seeing it was still rather early, the mists of morning swirling around the window, blocking the view of the rain though she could still hear it hitting the trees outside, Kagome came to a decision. “We have plenty of time, Yuka. I want you to give me the most intricate design you can.”
 
“And what will you wear?”
 
Glancing down at her silken blue robe, Kagome looked over towards her closet. “I'll wear Bankotsu's dress, and…” She swallowed. “I will also wear the crown Kikyou gave me.”
 
For a moment Yuka said nothing, staring straight ahead, and Kagome wasn't sure if her friend was trying to visualize how she was going to do Kagome's hair, or if she was pondering something much deeper. Still, in the end the young maid simply nodded and moved away. “Very well, my lady, lets get you dressed first, and then I'll do your hair and makeup. And when I'm done,” she smiled with all the love a friend could have, “You shall look like a Queen.”
 
As usual, Yuka was true to her word.
 
After three torturous hours, Kagome found herself standing before a full-length mirror, hardly recognizing herself. Her slim waist looked waspish with the corset she was forced to wear with the gown, but her chest was even more generous, giving her an unavoidable hourglass figure, and as usual the blues and whites of the silks and velvets were cut in all the right places to give her an elegant, regal appearance. Her hair was pulled back and pinned atop her head so that it rested in the center of her crown, ebony curls spilling over and down her graceful neck and towards her waist, and the diamond and sapphire studded crown itself caused her skin to practically glow. Hoping Kikyou wouldn't mind, Yuka had also borrowed a generous diamond necklace from the Queen's chambers that Kagome now wore around her neck, and the look was finished with sapphire pins that had been placed strategically throughout Kagome's many curls.
 
She was absolutely stunning.
 
“Yuka, I…” Kagome turned away from her reflection to look at her dear friend, who never failed her. “I don't know what to say.”
 
The young brunette smiled, looking even more the servant in her simple gray gown compared to Kagome's finery. “You needn't say anything. I would do anything for you, Kagome, you know that.”
 
Her heart swelled with gratitude, and Kagome smiled as she moved forward and embraced her friend. “I shall never forget this for as long as I live. You have been by my side every moment of every day without fail, and have often proven to be my sanity in a tumultuous world.”
 
Yuka just smiled and returned the embrace, her voice soft and warm as she spoke. “There have been more people on your side than you realize, my lady. Never forget that.” She pulled away to look directly into Kagome's eyes. “You are adored by peasants and Kings, simpletons and scholars. That's something to be proud of. So remember that today when you walk into that hall and feel the eyes of the court upon you.” Her smile widened. “You are the beloved of two Kings, and the daughter of the Marquess Higurashi. So make sure you show that to the rest of the world.”
 
“Yuka…” Kagome didn't know what to say. She had never valued her friend more. “Thank you.”
 
“Of course!” The young woman's face brightened once more, her moment of reflection over. “Now then…what would you like me to have prepared for you in the kitchens?”
 
“Actually, I don't know if I should have anything ordered. I don't want to draw too much attention to what I'm doing this morning.”
 
“But you have to eat something!” The young maid exclaimed in frustration. “Kagome, you can't possibly hope to stand up to the entire court on an empty stomach. You'll faint dead away before the first few words leave your mouth.” She put a finger under her chin. “But I do see your point. I wonder how we can make this work…”
 
As though answering their silent question, Kagome heard a knock at her door, and when Yuka opened it Gideon stood before her dressed in his best clothes, ready for another day at court. But when he saw Kagome his jaw practically unhinged, and it was all the poor man could do to remember his place and fumble forward into a clumsy bow.
 
“M-my lady!” He exclaimed.
 
Kagome chuckled, though it was hollow as her mind was preoccupied. Did she really look that different dressed as she was? The diamonds around her neck caught the light outside her window, and the sapphires in her hair seemed to blaze with their own mystic blue fire, and as she saw her reflection again she knew that she did indeed look very different.
 
“Come in, Gideon,” she finally stated calmly, practicing her speech, which she knew had to be very easy and collected when she spoke before the court later that day. If she appeared at all nervous no one would pay any attention to her. That was partly why she'd insisted Yuka dress her that way…it was her mask of nobility. Inwardly she was not so elegant or graceful, but she could always pretend.
 
“Yes, come in already,” Yuka echoed her friend as she yanked on the man's arm, pulling him into the room before shutting the door quickly behind him. “Are you trying to draw attention to my lady with that stare of yours?”
 
He blushed. “Forgive me…I was just…that is…I had not expected to find…”
 
“It's alright,” Kagome waved his comments aside with her hand. “Was there something you needed?”
 
“I was wondering if Yuka was ready to have our morning meal together.”
 
“Of course; she's free to go if she wishes.”
 
The maid shot Kagome a comically fierce look. “I'm not leaving you, my lady. Not today. Besides, we still need to get you fed somehow…” Her lips turned upward into a grin. “That's it! Gideon, my lady Kagome wishes to have her breakfast in her chambers this morning, and I was wondering if you could fetch her some bread and cheese?”
 
“What…?” The poor man looked utterly lost. Kagome giggled at the sight, but chose not to say anything. Yuka seemed to have things under control.
 
“Just go and ask for some bread and cheese for Lady Kagome, and if anyone asks why, just say that she is not feeling well this morning. They will certainly understand given the current situation.”
 
“You want me to fetch her breakfast?” He blushed. “As though I was her chambermaid?”
 
Kagome could see such a thought was a blow to his pride, and was about to say something, but Yuka would have none of it. “That's precisely what I'm asking of you! Did you not offer to serve Kagome upon our return to court? Well now I'm asking you to serve her!”
 
“Bu…but…” Gideon sputtered before finally seeming to collect himself, standing up straight and tall and puffing out his chest, the black cloak billowing out over his shoulders. “Madam, I am the Lady Kagome's appointed adviser, not her maid, and as such I won't be treated as the latter.”
 
“What you are is an egotistical messenger who has allowed his mind to run away with him after being asked for his opinion once or twice,” Yuka shot back, her tongue just as quick. “Now get over your bloated ego and fetch my lady her breakfast!”
 
“I don't see why you can't go,” he protested.
 
“I have to change into something more appropriate, since I will be with my lady, and as such I don't have time to fetch her meal. Now go!”
 
Gideon sputtered a few more times, but in the end seemed to realize it was a losing battle, because he finally lowered his head and walked back out the door after Yuka made him promise not to tell a soul that Kagome was planning on going out that day to court.
 
When the door finally shut Kagome felt her barely restrained laughter break free, and she had to sit back down in one of her plush chairs for support. “You could have been a little kinder to him, Yuka,” she finally commented. “He is only a man after all…you can't expect him to do everything.”
 
“I wasn't asking him to do anything difficult,” the maid protested. “But by his reaction you would have thought I instructed him to dress in one of my gowns and then fetch your breakfast!”
 
Kagome giggled. “Well, to him, and to most men, you may as well have phrased it that way.”
 
“Hn…ridiculous…” Yuka continued to mutter about men and their strange obsessions as she moved around to sit on one of the small couches, and all Kagome could do was smile, grateful for the simplicity of her friend's new love, since so many things in her life were no longer so simple and innocent. She wondered what life would have been like had fate permitted her to fall in love with Inuyasha before he had been engaged to her sister, her heart imagining that it would have been simple, with the ritualistic courtship, flowers, outings in carriages, and eventual proposal, and as she imagined it, a smile broke out across her face.
 
But the image was gone as soon as it had come, another image, this time of Inuyasha's arrogant smirk, flaring up and shattering her perfect fantasy. Her smile turned to a grimace as Kagome realized that rather than uneventful outings with sweet conversations that ended in a kiss, their courtship would have entailed arguments, with her probably hitting Inuyasha over the head with any flowers he'd try to give her after he shot one of his careless insults in her direction.
 
Hn…engaged or not, Kagome had a feeling courtship with Inuyasha would never be easy or normal.
 
Her quiet musings were cut short when there was yet another knock at her door, and this time Kagome couldn't hide her surprise as she saw Yuka blink and sputter, rising to her feet, muttering something about how Gideon must have wings on his feet to move so quickly.
 
But it wasn't Gideon at the door. It was someone much more important.
 
All Kagome heard was a shocked Yuka exclaiming “Your Majesty!” before she promptly slammed the door, Inuyasha's stunned face never once revealed.
 
Blinking in surprise, Kagome looked at Yuka and took a step back. “Yuka…was that…”
 
The poor young maid turned around and rested her back against the door, her hand still around the golden knob, and put her other hand over her mouth in shock. “I…I just slammed the door on the King. I…I'm going to be hung. My life is over.” Her voice was deadpan, as though she were discussing the weather, and Kagome wasn't sure whether it would be appropriate to laugh or shrink back in fear.
 
Unfortunately, she didn't have much time to wonder, because a moment later Inuyasha began pounding on her door, sounding very frustrated. And after all, why shouldn't he be? He'd come to visit Kagome like had had been doing for the past week, and all he'd received in return was her ungrateful and stupid maid nearly breaking his nose in her haste to shut…nay, slam…the door.
 
“Kagome, open the door! I know you're in there!” He bellowed, trying not to draw too much attention to himself, though most of the court was already down eating breakfast.
 
He was greeted by silence at first, and then, finally, the door cracked open slightly to reveal part of Yuka's face, her skin pale and her eyes wide as she clearly struggled with her duty to guard the door and the urge to fall to the floor in respect, as was customary for servants in the presence of a King.
 
“Yuka…” His voice was low and full of meaning.
 
She just blinked innocently back at him. “Y-Your Majesty,” she stammered. “Was there something you needed?”
 
He growled, not in the mood for such ridiculous games. She knew damn well why he was there! Still, slicing Kagome's chief handmaiden would put him on the bad side of his fiery woman for too long, so in the end he decided to curb his temper and play along. “I wish to speak with Kagome.”
 
“Kagome?” Yuka looked over her shoulder briefly. “Um…she's not here now, Your Majesty. Perhaps she's gone to breakfast?”
 
“I was already down there, Yuka. Do you think I'd have come looking for her if I'd already seen her?” Did this woman think he was an idiot?
 
“Then perhaps she's gone riding,” the maid replied, again looking over her shoulder and merely confirming in the hanyou's mind the fact that Kagome was definitely beyond the door. After all, Yuka didn't normally guard the chambers like a mother wolf guarding her den of pups.
 
The only question was why did Kagome not want him to come in?
 
Before he could say anything else, though, fate intervened and provided some relief in the form of Gideon, who chose that moment to return from the kitchens balancing a tray with a plate of bread and cheese and a goblet of grape wine. At first he didn't even notice Inuyasha, much to the King's annoyance, instead walking straight up to the door. “Yuka, I have her breakfast, but I swear on my family's honor I shall never be shamed like that again. I'll have to endure the mockery of the kitchen hands for weeks thanks to you. Now open the door before anyone else sees me and so I can take Lady Ka…”
 
He trailed off as Yuka's eyes went wide and she hissed in warning, and suddenly Gideon seemed to realize the rather imposing presence beside him, complete with rather obviously silver hair and amber eyes narrowed into a frightful glare.
 
“Your Majesty!” He started bending over, clearly not accustomed to carrying a tray with wine, but Inuyasha stopped him short, not in the mood to acquire a grape stain on his red silk shirt.
 
“Watch it, you fool!” He snapped, putting up his hand, and Gideon instantly snapped back up, the goblet of wine teetering momentarily before finally going still once more on the tray. Sighing, Inuyasha looked at Gideon steadily. “You are bringing breakfast for Lady Kagome?”
 
“I…” He darted his eyes towards Yuka in question before looking back at the King. “No, Your Majesty.”
 
“Indeed. Then who, pray tell, is that food for?”
 
“Um…Yuka, Your Majesty.”
 
Inuyasha narrowed his eyes and watched in pleasure as Kagome's newly appointed adviser shuddered slightly. Good. At least he still seemed to carry some semblance of authority. “And they allowed you to take such an expensive gold goblet for a servant's use only?”
 
Gideon grimaced as he realized how unlikely that story was. “Um…actually, Your Majesty, I…”
 
“What he means, Your Majesty,” Yuka intervened, “Is that I asked him to bring me Kagome's breakfast for when she returned. I suppose he just got a little confused.” She shot Gideon a meaningful look, daring him to say otherwise, and Inuyasha felt a twinge of amusement as he realized the maid had adopted several of Kagome's more commanding characteristics…though, he thought with a trace of affection, no woman was as commanding and fiery as his Kagome.
 
Or as stubborn, he added ruefully.
 
Sighing again, he crossed his arms and prayed for patience, which he never had very much of. “Yuka, I know she's in there.”
 
“You…do?”
 
“Yes; these ears and nose aren't just for show. I could hear her voice before you opened the door, and I can smell her now as though she were standing in your place. So just let me in.”
 
“I…can't, Your Majesty.”
 
“Can't?” His patience waned again as he narrowed his eyes, watching the maid attempt to quell her fear as she studiously looked back. “What do you mean by that?”
 
“I mean that my lady gave strict instructions that she wasn't to be bothered today.”
 
“That's never stopped you from letting me in before. You know I am not just any common visitor.”
 
“But Your Majesty, this time…well…this time it was you specifically that she wanted to be kept out.”
 
His ears flicked in the direction of a very audible hiss coming from inside the room, and he had a feeling he knew exactly who it was. Clearly Kagome hadn't wanted him to hear that little piece of information…and rightly so; because now he was definitely coming in.
 
“Step aside, Yuka,” He commanded in a low and gruff voice.
 
“But…”
 
“I said move aside, or I swear I'll never forget the fact that you slammed the door in my face and didn't pay your proper respect.” He didn't usually pull such an awful threat on people, but he was running out of options, and so he did his best to ignore the shocked and almost fearful look that Yuka had acquired on her face.
 
“There's no need to threaten my handmaidens, Inuyasha,” He heard a familiar angelic voice reprimand from beyond the narrow scope of the partially open doorway. His spine tingled at the sound. “Let him in, Yuka.”
 
And with those four words Kagome achieved what Inuyasha with all his threatening hadn't been able to do: she got Yuka to open the door and let him in.
 
Such loyalty, he absently marveled as he stepped into her familiar chambers. Her servants were willing to risk the wrath of a King so long as they did as she commanded. He wondered if there were any such people in his service who would make such sacrifices for him.
 
And then she was there, and he could hardly breathe.
 
She was stunning! He had never seen Kagome look so incredibly beautiful, with her now familiar blue and white satin and velvet gown, diamonds at her neck, sapphires in her hair, and the wealthy crown Kikyou had given her adorning her head. Her hair had clearly been patiently and tediously curled down to the last strand, and now fell over the top of the back of her crown and down her neck and back, accenting her well-formed face, her high cheekbones, her delicate nose, and her beautiful lips, which were currently pursed in a nervous frown.
 
Shifting her eyes slightly, she met his gaze, and as he felt the usual tremor run down and up his spine as he looked at her seductively innocent eyes, pooled in charcoal and burning with the fire of intelligence and love, Inuyasha knew the answer to his previous silent question.
 
Yes; he did have someone who was loyal only to him, who was willing to sacrifice all else for his happiness, and who cared for him as he was, as the awkward hanyou King.
 
Kagome.
 
She had given up her chance to be married to Kouga, ruler of the North, and had instead sentenced herself to a life of spinsterhood by swearing to always be at his side. And he had never loved her more.
 
It was such a pity, then, that his voice never could put such feelings to words.
 
“Why did you order your servants to keep me out?” He demanded harshly, raking his eyes over her body as though to cause her to burn in shame.
 
She just turned away awkwardly and picked up a piece of sliced yellow cheese, popping it into her mouth before reaching for another. “Are you hungry?”
 
He growled and stepped forward. “Out,” he hissed at both Yuka and Gideon, but again to his frustration they both hesitated, looking to Kagome for the final command, which she gave in the form of a brief nod. Finally they were alone. “Explain, Kagome.”
 
“If you haven't figured it out yet, Inuyasha, then you clearly aren't as smart as I thought you were,” she threw back, clearly trying to keep her wits about her while also managing to throw a dulled dart in his direction. But she was distracted, and he could see it, and suddenly it all fit into place. The news Bankotsu had brought the night before…her melancholy mood all evening…her dress…her hair…the crown…the only reason she would not want him to see her that morning…
 
And with that he bellowed in rage and sprang forward, taking her arms roughly in his hands. “You are not to go! Don't you even think about it! I won't allow it!” He shook her firmly, hoping to erase all such radical thoughts from her mind. “You promised me, Kagome!”
 
That caused her own eyes to flare. “I promised no such thing!” She looked down at his fine dress, from his red silk shirt to his black pants to his cape to his formal crown, and it was her turn to frown. “And besides…do you expect me to believe that you are dressed that way so that you can walk about the halls and do nothing?”
 
That gave him pause.
 
And proved her point.
 
“How dare you tell me to stay when you plan to go!” She raged, pulling out of his loosened fingers. “She's my sister as much as she is your wife, and I have known her longer! If anyone owes her their support and loyalty, it is me!”
 
He narrowed his eyes. “It's too dangerous for you.”
 
“It is not!” She pulled back even further, completely out of reach of his arms, before jabbing her finger in his direction. “Stop trying to protect me! Because you're not! You're simply keeping me separated from the sister I have loved and cherished since the day I was born!”
 
“Kagome…”
 
“I won't abandon her!”
 
“And you think I would?” He snapped back. “She's my wife, damn it! I won't leave her to die if I can help it! Today the court will hear anyone else who wishes to speak before passing judgment, so now I can speak not as their King, but as Kikyou's husband.”
 
“And I shall speak as her sister!” Kagome shot back. “You won't change my mind!”
 
“I'm going so you don't have to go, don't you understand?” He sounded almost desperate. “I'm trying to protect you, Kagome!”
 
“So you're not going for Kikyou's benefit at all?” She shot back, her voice bitter.
 
He guffawed briefly before throwing his arms up in the air in a gesture of defeat. “What do you want from me, Kagome? I don't know any more! On the one hand, you get jealous when I'm with her, and when I express concern, but on the other you get upset when you think I don't care for her!”
 
“She deserves more than you simply going because of me,” Kagome retorted, though she felt slightly unsettled by her response. What did she mean, anyway?
 
“Of course I want to protect her too, Kagome…but so long as I go at all, isn't that all that matters?”
 
Taking in a deep breath, Kagome looked at him. “You don't care for her at all?” It was a double-edged question, and they both knew it. On the one hand Kagome hoped for Kikyou's sake that Inuyasha did care for her on some level, but on the other she hoped with all her heart that he would say no and give her own heart some level of peace.
 
It was the very reason she had been avoiding such a question at all.
 
But now it was out, and the flustered hanyou had no choice but to answer it.
 
“I…” He swallowed. Did he care for Kikyou? All he had to do was think about the woman she had been before they had been married, with her kind words and her delicate smile, and he could still feel the fluttering of his heart. But was that love? No. It was awe. Awe of her beauty, her intelligence…awe of her. That someone such as her would show any interest in him.
 
But how could he put that into words?
 
“I don't care for her as I should,” he finally admitted. “Not like I once did.”
 
“Inuyasha…”
 
“What do you want me to say, Kagome? No, I don't want to see her killed for this, and I certainly don't want her to suffer, but…” he swallowed again and met her gaze. “I go today more for your sake than for hers. She created this problem, and now she has to own up to it; all I can do is try and keep her punishment minimal.”
 
“How can you say that?” Kagome ground out. “She is as much a victim here as anyone else, save for Naraku himself!”
 
“She said yes to his advances!”
 
“Only because she still thinks about Onigumo!”
 
“So she is allowed to pine away for a lost love, but I still have to love her and no other? How is that fair, Kagome?”
 
Kagome scoffed. “Last time I checked, you don't love anyone else. So I don't see what your problem is.”
 
“I don't…?” He trailed off, wondering if she could possibly be even remotely serious. She honestly couldn't see it in his eyes every time he looked at her? Every time he held her? Every time she walked into the room and his body relaxed?
 
Kagome instantly saw the change in his posture, from his wide eyes to his disbelieving stare, and lowered her eyes momentarily, having completely forgotten what they were even arguing about. What was she saying? Of course he loved someone else! She could see it in his eyes every time he looked at her!
 
But still…
 
Her mood was unpredictable and volatile, fluctuating with her struggles between worrying about Kikyou and feeling drawn to the man before her and, as usual, as a result Inuyasha was taking the brunt of her frustration. “She deserves our support, Inuyasha, as your wife and as my sister.”
 
“And I'm going to try and help her today,” he shot back, “But I want you to stay here.”
 
“No.”
 
“Kagome!'
 
“With you there I wouldn't be arrested anyway. The King and his mistress never get into trouble, only the Queen does.”
 
Inuyasha winced, hating the way she referred to herself as though she were nothing more than a common whore. She was so much more than that! And yet, at times, he knew how futile their relationship was so long as he was married to Kikyou…and that made him feel guilty, for the sake of both his loves, past and present.
 
“Please stay here,” he finally muttered, looking down with clenched fists. “Stay, if nothing else, for me…as I go today for your sake.”
 
“You also go for Kikyou,” Kagome insisted, ignoring the first part of his statement. “You have to, Inuyasha. She needs your support, not I.”
 
“Yes you do.”
 
“Not as much as she does, then.”
 
“I won't let you get hurt.”
 
“I know that; but I have to do this.” Her eyes softened. “Please understand that.”
 
Her soft, loving look melted his anger, and he stepped forward, pulling her possessively into his arms. “Damn it, Kagome,” he whispered fervently, “Just let me protect you! I couldn't live if you weren't in my life!”
 
“And I couldn't live if Kikyou were to die,” she replied, just as stubborn as ever. She pulled back and placed her hands on his chest. “I have to protect her, Inuyasha…one last time, I have to give her my strength. Please understand.”
 
He looked away, his lips pursed in a frown, stewing over all the reasons why she shouldn't go, and why he wouldn't let her go, but all it took was one look into her eyes and his only reason for relenting became clear at last.
 
“Fine,” he conceded with a sigh. “I won't force you to stay here.” She beamed at him and turned away immediately, calling for Yuka to return so that they could prepare to depart. Inuyasha watched her steadily for several minutes in silence as she bustled about her room, her figure bending and curving elegantly, and his frown deepened as he swore to never let her out of his sight as she walked into the snake pit. “But it's only because I love you that I let you go,” he added softly.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Kikyou felt her already raw nerves being rubbed just a little more as she took her familiar place in the magnificent hall, standing to the left of the long aisle, the large circle of elevated chairs before her, the floor polished marble, the walls covered in tapestries of justice, a large crucifix hanging behind the largest and most elegant mahogany chair. That was supposed to be Inuyasha's chair, but as he could not sit on the panel for the trial because of his relation to the accused, Sesshoumaru instead took his place, his own seat vacant just to the right.
 
They all sat and stared first at her and then at Naraku, leaving Kikyou to believe that they would see into her very soul with their eyes. After the day before, with Kaguya's testimony, none but Bankotsu held even the remotest glimmer of pity for her any longer, and she knew the Eastern King's pity stemmed more from his fondness for Kagome than any sort of feeling for her personally…
 
And for that Kikyou knew she was doomed. She accepted it, and so simply waited for judgment to be passed. Any more, death seemed like a welcome change from the cruel stares and the humiliation of hearing her life summed up so blatantly and openly for anyone to hear.
 
All her personal hopes, dreams, and feelings…all her shortcomings…all her mistakes and her triumphs…
 
They were all laid bare to be trampled upon by the likes of Kagura, who mocked Kikyou with a grin of superiority. The older Higurashi sister just glared back with her neck arched proudly.
 
She couldn't see behind her, and chose not to give in to the urge to turn around, but could tell that the courtroom was rapidly filling up by the noise of the conversations around her. It grew from a faint whisper to an irritable din as everyone shouted over everyone else so that they were heard. Absently, she wondered how Sesshoumaru must have been feeling with his sensitive ears, knowing his trademark scowl hid an even greater irritation that the rest of the courtiers would never have the intelligence to see for themselves.
 
The fools.
 
Interspersed among their conversations Kikyou could hear the usual whispers and feel her back burn with the stares of dozens of young men and women, knowing they were probably pointing to accent the fact that she was the fallen woman, condemned to such a horrible fate. Kikyou could already imagine every mother in the courtroom leaning over and telling her daughter “See? That is what will happen if you are disloyal to your future husband!”
 
Yes, Kikyou thought sadly, warn all your daughters. Use me as the sacrificial lamb and tell them that this shall be their fate if they are ever foolish enough to fall in love and hope that life can be simple…
 
Mercifully, the scrutiny was abruptly ended when Sesshoumaru rose to his feet, signaling for silence with a mere nod of his head, and Kikyou released the breath she hadn't even realized she was holding as she focused all her attention on Inuyasha's fierce older brother. Such a presence he had!
 
The mob of people instantly hushed, leaving the great hall feeling empty and desolate, the smallest of sounds suddenly crashing through Kikyou's ears like a piano thrown down a flight of stairs as she studiously ignored Naraku's stare from across the isle. She would not look at him again. She refused.
 
“We have heard testimony from all those believed to have relevant information pertaining to this case,” Sesshoumaru stated in his low voice, which still seemed capable of carrying to the far corners of the earth. Bankotsu snorted at that from his seat, and Kikyou fought not to crack a smile, knowing most testimonies had been thrown out when it was proved that they were false, and paid for by enemies of the Higurashi family. “Now, as is custom, the court shall hear testimony from any who wish to speak on behalf of either of the accused. After this, the judges will retire to discuss and reach a verdict. Is this understood?”
 
There was a grumbling of `yes' throughout the crowd, and Kikyou couldn't help but swallow, wondering, in spite of herself, if there would be any who would dare step forward and speak on her behalf after such a disastrous testimony the day before. They were all no doubt afraid to side with a condemned woman…and she couldn't in all fairness blame them. After all, she had abandoned her lover because he was a condemned man. How could she expect more from others than she expected of herself?
 
“So be it,” Sesshoumaru nodded his head, taking a seat and speaking again. “He who wishes to speak, step forward.”
 
This silence was even more deafening than the first, and Kikyou felt the hair on the back of her neck stand on end.
 
No one would come. Her once knight in shining armor stood beside her, now possessed by darkness, and her only other supporter she had forbidden to come to the trial at all. It was how it must be.
 
Still…it would have been nice to not be so alone in such a chilling moment…
 
“I wish to speak!”
 
And then it was as though the veils of darkness parted to allow for a small beacon of light, and Kikyou, hardly daring to hope, turned in time to see two familiar and determined figures standing in the doorway, dressed like royalty, both with crowns atop their heads.
 
Kagome swallowed, feeling her old hesitation return as she saw the entire courtroom full of people turn as one and stare at both herself and Inuyasha. She felt the sudden urge to turn and run, and the only thing that calmed her nerves was the energy radiating off of the man beside her, his amber gaze hard and determined as he focused on the front of the hall, where the five seats were stationed, four full with the judges determining Kikyou's fate.
 
Even though she had been the one to speak, Kagome knew Inuyasha wished to be the first to actually testify before the court, partially to get it out of the way, and partly to put Kagome at ease, and so she waited for him to move since the aisle wasn't really wide enough for them to move abreast comfortably.
 
She studied him as he moved confidently forward, his head high and his back straight, every now and then glancing to his left or right and causing those in the shadow of his gaze to instantly fall into bows and curtsies of respect. His black cape swirled behind him as he walked, the red silk of his shirt glinting, reflecting the rubies hanging from his neck as well as the stones set in his golden crown. His silver hair easily blew out behind him on some invisible draft, and his hardened gaze dared anyone to object to his presence.
 
He was magnificent.
 
Kagome swallowed, wondering how she could possibly hope to emulate such a perfect display of poise and confidence.
 
And then Yuka was there, along with Miroku and Sango (who had insisted on remaining with her after they learned of what Kagome was planning to do), and Kagome realized she was anything but alone.
 
Nodding slightly to tell her loyal handmaiden that she was ready, the pair began to walk down the aisle, Yuka slightly behind and to her mistress' left, her head lowered in respect, dressed in her finest gown of blue and white velvet, honoring the Higurashi family that she served. Kagome forced her head to remain high, her eyes masked by a false confidence she knew she didn't possess, but that she had to show the world anyway if she had any hope of doing Kikyou some good.
 
Avoiding her eyes until the last moment, Kagome finally looked up and met Kikyou's gaze shyly, knowing she was breaking her promise to her sister with every step she took. And yet there was no anger in Kikyou's eyes…only a great swelling of love and gratitude, and Kagome realized that this is what she had needed…this is what they had both needed: to stand together against the world one last time.
 
Feeling slightly less hesitant, Kagome moved to stand at Kikyou's side, the pair of them stunning in their beauty. If nothing else, everyone in the hall at that moment couldn't help but feel awed by the strength of the two women before them.
 
Without pause or hesitation Inuyasha just walked forward and stepped up onto the small podium before the judges, placed strategically in the center of the half-circle marble floor so that all three monarchs could scrutinize the speaker to their heart's content.
 
“I would speak on behalf of my wife,” Inuyasha announced clearly for all to hear, and Kagome could sense Kikyou's body relax slightly at the possessive tone of his voice. Yet in that moment there was no jealousy in her heart…that would come later. For now, all that mattered was saving her beloved sister.
 
“Very well,” Sesshoumaru nodded slightly, giving his permission.
 
“I am well aware of all that has been said in regards to the Queen throughout these proceedings,” he began, his voice never wavering. Kagome had never loved him so much, and, she suspected with a slight twinge, neither had Kikyou. She wondered how much their relationship would change after this…
 
But shook her head and chose not to dwell on it. Instead she focused all her energy on every inflection of Inuyasha's voice, willing the rest of the crowd to hang on his every word as much as she did. And judging by the energy behind her, Kagome suspected that the entire court was doing just that.
 
“I am not here today to tell you that my wife is free of sin. Nor do I wish to convince you that she has never made a mistake, for to do so would be a lie. None of us here in this room are perfect. We all have something to atone for. We all have something we confess to our priest each Sunday. But in the end we are all also forgiven for what we do.” Inuyasha's eyes hardened, and he took a moment to look behind him, as though to see each individual standing in that room, and even Kagome could feel the intensity of his gaze, her legs trembling. “I have forgiven my wife,” He enunciated each word carefully, going silent momentarily before finally turning back around to face the three monarchs seated above him. “And in my eyes, and in the eyes of God, that's all that matters. I see no betrayal that cannot be forgiven, and no treason so great my life was in danger. The only thing that is perhaps wounded in all of this is my pride. But pride can heal itself faster than any wound of the flesh.”
 
He paused for a long time, and Kagome thought perhaps he had finished speaking, before he finally made one last statement. “There are many in this room who have done what Kikyou Higurashi is accused of today who go unpunished. Yet she stands behind me and prepares to take her punishment as though she were the worst kind of criminal without protest or complaint. That's more than I can say for all those who hide in shame and never reveal their secrets, even to those they have pledged their lives to and to whom they have sworn eternal fidelity and devotion. Do not judge unfairly. Do not be hypocritical, because to me that is the worst kind of betrayal.”
 
He turned and looked at Kikyou, and when their eyes met Kagome felt a small piece of her heart break as she realized they were sharing in memories she could never be a part of. Memories of a time before she had come to court, before they had been engaged…an innocent time when Kikyou had sought only for a way out of the life she had been forced into, and when Inuyasha had seen her as heaven on earth.
 
Finally he looked away and back at the judges, who were, by all rights, beneath him…under his command. Kagome wondered how difficult it was for Inuyasha's pride to be forced to beg for their mercy. “My wife is a good person. She is strong and intelligent, and would never do anything to hurt this country or this crown. So I ask you to judge her not by her past mistakes…which did occur before the wedding…but by the strength of her character now, as it stands in this moment.” He glanced back at Kikyou and his eyes softened slightly. “Forgive her, as I have done.”
 
A deafening silence followed, and Kagome found she had to look away, her confidence wavering slightly as she wondered what she was even doing in that courtroom. Inuyasha seemed to have everything under control, and she began to doubt his words from earlier that day. Apparently there had been no need to worry about his intentions where her sister was concerned; he obviously still cared about her. And from the way Kikyou was looking back, with gratitude and devotion, she could tell that after the trial, if she survived, Kikyou would follow Inuyasha to the ends of the earth.
 
The decision to leave Kouga suddenly darkened slightly, and Kagome began to doubt her ability to live alone and in the shadows for the rest of her life…even if she was near Inuyasha.
 
Would he forget her? Would he now allow himself to love his wife if she promised to be faithful?
 
Kagome felt her voice catch at the thought, a whimper threatening to break through her lips, though she fervently held it back.
 
She was stronger than this! And what was more, she was here today for Kikyou…nothing more. She would just have to worry about the rest of her life later, after she had spoken.
 
“You may step down,” Sesshoumaru commanded, and Inuyasha obeyed, moving back to stand by Kikyou's side, opposite of Kagome. She felt him trying to look at her, but she refused to look up, pretending to be focused on a fascinating crack in the floor instead. She couldn't handle it right now. She had to focus on Kikyou, or else her own insecurities would become blatantly obvious.
 
“Is there anyone else who would speak?”
 
Kagome felt her hands begin to tremble as all eyes turned to her, expecting her to step forward, and for a brief, horrifying moment, she contemplated remaining still and silent. Could she do this? Could she speak before the court and convince them of her sister's moral character when she personally was suddenly in the throes of doubt?
 
And, more importantly, even if she could, would anyone listen? Would it do any good?
 
But before she could doubt herself any more, Kagome felt a warm hand close around hers, and looked over to see Yuka's smiling face, her brown eyes filled with warmth and love and support. “Courage, my lady,” she whispered so that none could hear (save perhaps Inuyasha, but since Kagome wasn't looking at him she couldn't know for sure).
 
And that was all it took. Kagome suddenly felt her back straighten and her chin rise into the air as she turned and stepped forward, holding her skirts in one hand as she gracefully stepped forward and onto the podium, instantly cut off from the rest of the world. In that moment, with the giant golden crucifix hanging above Sesshoumaru's head seeming to burn into her, Kagome believed that she couldn't have lied even if she wanted to.
 
Swallowing, feeling the eyes of everyone in the room trained on her, Kagome hardened her gaze and squared her shoulders as though she were preparing for another argument with Inuyasha. The hanyou saw this and couldn't help but smirk slightly, knowing that now she was ready, God himself could not have stopped Kagome from speaking her mind.
 
“I come to speak on behalf of my sister,” she stated coolly, hardly believing how confident and easy she sounded in that moment.
 
Sesshoumaru nodded. “Very well, you may speak.”
 
Kagome sucked in a deep breath and prayed that her strength would not leave as she began. “I feel that this entire trial is not a judgment of actions, but a judgment of character. It is all symbolic. Were Kikyou Higurashi not the Queen, we would not even think twice about her actions of infidelity. And even now, it is not her infidelity that is the cause for such scorn. It is the betrayal of her husband, our King, the symbol of our country, that has caused such alarm.” She swallowed again, feeling her words begin to flow easier, and her body began to relax slightly. “As such, I come before you today not to condone or criticize the actions of my sister…but rather, to convince you of her good and honest moral character, and to convince you all that she would never be capable of betraying either her King or the country that has granted her the crown of a Queen.”
 
Kagome could see that this was not quite what anyone had been expecting, and their interested expressions gave her the courage to continue. “It is well known that for a long time my sister and I did not speak to one another; that we were estranged for reasons that, six months ago, not even I was aware of. Yet even so, I have never stopped believing in my sister's perfect moral character. She is a woman of honor, and of pride, and if nothing else I know she always does what she can to avoid degrading herself and her family. She is strong, and, if anyone had told me when we were young that she was destined to be a Queen, I would not have been surprised. She can be just as self-sacrificing as anyone when she believes in a cause, and her intelligence is surpassed by none.” Kagome smiled wistfully, remembering their youth. “In my eyes, Kikyou was always, and always will be, perfect.”
 
She paused without even thinking, allowing her instincts to take over and direct her path as she spoke. Finally, after lowering her head to collect her thoughts, she met each of the judge's eyes individually before turning to speak to the crowd, much as Inuyasha had done.
 
“Yet even a perfect woman is vulnerable to the one force that I believe can overpower anything, be it reason or logic or high moral standards. And that one factor,” she couldn't help it…she glanced at Inuyasha. “Is love.” She looked away instantly, still feeling too much self-doubt at that moment, and instead focused her attention on unfamiliar faces in the crowd. “Kikyou fell in love with a man who, by all rights, she shouldn't have. He was a rogue. He had seduced many women before her, had dishonored and shamed them all…and yet, she fell in love with him anyway. She believed he loved her as well, and they even went so far as to promise to marry. It was the kind of love you are only supposed to find once in life.” Kagome looked at Kikyou, and smiled slightly in encouragement. “The kind of love that is supposed to conquer all. And for a time, it seemed to do just that.” She looked back out at the crowd, which was hanging on her every word. “This man…this rogue…this seducer of women…was willing to give up his old ways for her. He was willing to give up being a bachelor for her. And she was willing to give him all of herself in return, with the promise of fidelity and truth for the rest of their lives.”
 
Kagome sighed and looked down as she spoke. “But Kikyou was young. She was fifteen at the time, and easily swayed by the judgment and beliefs of others.” Her eyes flared as her head shot up again. “And I ask every woman in this room to tell me if she was not so gullible and vulnerable once! I ask each and every one of you out there to think back on your own life, and I don't think any of us can say we were never persuaded by a friend or a father or a mother or a guardian to do something we didn't believe was right!”
 
Kagome felt a slight ripple of pleased satisfaction as she saw all the women lower their heads in shame, her words clearly having the desired effect. She continued. “Kikyou was young and innocent, and when the love of her life was in trouble, she was persuaded by a friend,” Kagome glared at Kaguya, who had dared to return to the trial after her shattering testimony the day before, and felt slightly pleased when the woman could not meet her gaze for more than a second, “That it would be better for her life and her reputation if she did not try to go and protect the man she loved. She heeded this advice, her reputation was partially salvaged, she was left in misery, tormented by what she had done to the love of her life, and this self-same friend,” Kagome spat the word as though it were vial and poisonous, “Now has the gall to come back and throw this in my sister's face! She dares to tell the court about Kikyou's past, and her unreliable nature as she abandoned her lover to the Tower…and conveniently skips the reality that it was she who advised Kikyou thus. If anything, the fact that my sister was willing to abandon her love because she believed it was the right thing to do only proves even more her desire to always do the right thing.”
 
Kagome allowed her gaze to rest on Kaguya for a few moments more, relishing in the way the older woman squirmed uneasily under her gaze, feeling as though she were winning back a few points for Kikyou in that moment, before she finally looked away and back towards the rest of the court, always remembering to look at the judges occasionally as well.
 
“And then this man arrived, and just as it would appear she was regaining her footing, Kikyou's world was turned on its axis yet again.” Kagome jabbed a finger at Naraku, who glared back. “We all know him as Naraku, a cruel man from the Tower…but to Kikyou, he will always carry the shadows of her former love, the nobleman Onigumo. We all saw the way he pursued her…the way he openly and blatantly tried to woo her into a corner and seduce her to be his. I don't deny this. But we also all saw the way my sister so ardently tried to resist. The way she so desperately tried to ignore the man who reminded her of Onigumo…the man she loved. She was weighed down by guilt and a love that would never die, and all of it pulled her to this man with the force of a great storm. And yet she resisted. For several months she resisted. Why? Because it was the right thing to do.” Kagome swallowed, clearing her throat silently. “True, she gave in eventually. True, the child she carries in her belly is potentially not the King's, but the bastard child of another…yet now she stands here before you and bears your scorn and your hate and your contempt because she feels it is the right and necessary thing to do.”
 
Kagome looked back at Kikyou again. “In all her life, she has had two moments of true weakness; the first when she ignored the need of her lover and chose to follow instead the advice of a friend, and the second when she gave in to a shadow for one night of comfort after having been plagued by guilt and rumors and scandal for much of her young life at court. She is nineteen years old…nineteen! And yet she's only made two grievous mistakes. We should all be so lucky!” Kagome again looked to each of the women in the crowd with her sharp eyes. “What woman here has not loved before? What woman has not known the joy of feeling like you belong to another? What woman has not felt the despair of yearning for something she cannot have, or the joy upon realizing that, at long last, he is hers? Which of us has not felt the pull of the forbidden? And which of us has truly been able to resist?” Her expression softened. “If love were so simple, we would have no need for forgiveness.”
 
There was a long silence, before Kagome finally turned around to face the judges once more, all of them watching her as though she were the most fascinating creature they had ever seen.
 
Raising her head just a little higher, she spoke one last time. “If it is a matter of judging her character, I am here to assure you that my sister, Kikyou Higurashi, has one of the strongest and purest moral characters I know. She would never do anything to betray this country or damage its people. I know she takes as much pride in her country, now that she is Queen, as she takes in her own family name, and that she would defend it with her last breath. And if it is simply a matter of moral character and her intentions toward the country, I feel there is no case against her.”
 
Her eyes hardened. “And if it is a matter of her actions with the accused, Naraku, then I remind you again of the reality that she is not the first, nor the last, woman or man who will fall prey to the temptation of another. A man who knew she was already engaged actively pursued her. She wasn't, in all honesty, even given a chance to refuse. He would not take no for an answer. And after months of fighting an apparently pointless and exhaustive battle, how could anyone, man or woman, blame her for giving in if it meant she would know some semblance of peace again?” Kagome placed a hand over her heart. “If we would judge her for being unfaithful, then we must judge every woman in this courtroom, including myself! I will not stand by and watch as my sister is judged for her actions while engaged to another while I am allowed to be free when I was no better than she was! I will not stand for such hypocrisy!” Her voice nearly cracked with her intensity, but she kept going, clearly having caught everyone off guard with her last statement. “I am guilty of loving a man I cannot have, and I am guilty of giving in to temptation as much as Kikyou. Therefore…” Her voice lowered so that it was barely above a whisper. “If you will behead her for treason, then you shall have two Higurashi heads instead of one, for I will not be judged by a different set of rules.”
 
She looked up, and met Bankotu's gaze as he watched her with admiration and pride and a glimmer of something else. She sighed inwardly, wondering just how many Kings loved her in this world, and finding it ironic that even if she were offered the world on a platter by every other noble man she had come across, she would refuse it all if a certain silver-haired hanyou called her to him.
 
She was hopeless.
 
Finally, after several seconds of silence as everyone waited for something…anything…to happen, Kagome lowered her hand back to her side and rose back up to her full height once more. “This court is supposedly a place of honor, where we are taught every Sunday to forgive one another, and to do unto others as we would have others do unto us. So forgive now, and realize that this is not even a question of treason, but merely the workings of a broken man as he harassed the woman he once loved with all his heart. Or, if you cannot reach such a conclusion, also recognize the fact that you will then have the blood of two women on your hands, for I will not see my sister die so needlessly by the axe when I am no better than she is.” Kagome frowned. “We cannot be a court of hypocrites and double standards, or else justice will never truly be served. So now, to prove my point and to show you my trust in your ability to do the right thing as I expect you to trust Kikyou, I am putting my faith in your judgment…and my very life in your hands.”
 
And then, spontaneously, Kagome did something no one expected. She took her skirts in her left hand and swept them away as she had been taught so many times by her mother years ago when trials and executions had been unreal, and fell down into one of the deepest curtsies she could possibly muster without falling to the ground, bowing her head low in respect, her eyes closed, the beating of her heart roaring in her ears.
 
She remained thus for several minutes, no one taking a single audible breath, before finally she opened her eyes and rose up to her full height once more. Glancing up at the judges one final time, she turned and began to walk back towards Kikyou, who was staring at her with gratitude, love and a certain amount of awe, before she stopped and changed direction entirely, instead simply walking back down the aisle and out the door, her instincts telling her that was the best thing to do in that moment. Yuka followed without hesitation, her own head lowered in respect towards Kagome, sending the message that this was a woman of power and high moral standards who deserved the respect of all.
 
And, in the end, it worked, because as the doors closed behind her, after the shocked silence wore off, everyone was muttering about the fact that they had just witnessed the most incredible sign of love and devotion they would ever see. No one was unaffected by what Kagome Higurashi had said, and, as they all returned their attention to Sesshoumaru, who was calling for order, they all seemed to silently and unanimously agree that while Kikyou Higurashi had always appeared to be the more regal of the two sisters, it appeared, in that moment, that they had all been mistaken in feeling she was the more natural choice for a Queen.
 
And for once, in this instance, Kikyou silently agreed with the mob that had meant her misery and doom for so long.