InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Broken ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters in the Inuyasha cast. In this story, Kisa is not the Kisa from Fruits Basket. I'm just using the name. But the story line in the this story is all my idea, to anyone who may make or have made any similar stories is by coincidence.
 
Chapter Ten:
 
Kagome noticed Inuyasha sudden mood change. His tone was more professional.
 
“Where?” Inuyasha spoke into the phone. His partner guessed it was Toutousai. “No, she's here.” He paused. “We're on it.” When he hung up the phone he looked at Kagome, “They found a body in the river down town.” Kagome was already reaching for her long coat.
 
“Sorry guys…” Kagome felt a little guilty leaving when she just got there.
 
“It's no problem.” Bankotsu assured her.
 
“Come on!” Inuyasha got impatient.
 
“I'm driving my own car go without me! I'll be there in a second!” Kagome practically yelled at him. My god he was annoying.
 
The group couldn't believe how much of an old married couple they sounded like. It was uncanny.
 
~*~
 
The two got to the crime scene at the same time. Inuyasha flipped the yellow police tape up and let Kagome pass with her badge in her hand to show the policeman trying to stop them. Inuyasha did the same.
 
Most of the uniforms were combing the area for anything that could be used in the investigation. One was talking to a woman with her child. Her face was disturbed and she held her child away from the white sheet off the beach of the river.
 
Another approached Inuyasha and Kagome. The man was young and seemed very professional. “One male victim, anywhere between 12 and 16 years of age. Cause of death seems to be stabbing to the chest. The witness,” he motioned toward the woman, “says she saw what she thought was a bag of trash washed up to the beach. She only realized it was a body when her daughter pointed out the hand sticking out of the plastic bag.”
 
“Wait, it washed up?” Kagome didn't expect that.
 
“We're guessing the perpetrator was in a hurry to dispose of the body. They were careless when they dumped it.”
 
“Most likely scared or guilty…” Inuyasha assumed.
 
“Seems that way. We found skid marks on the bridge crossing the river. They're fresh so we're assuming it's from the perpetrator. We have men scamming the area for what could possibly be the vehicle used to transport the body. The ME should be here in a few minutes.”
 
Inuyasha nodded and waved him off.
 
Kagome's phone rang. “Hello?”
 
“Kagome? I'm sorry to call you so late.”
 
“Kisa?”
 
“Have you seen Souta at all?” The girl seemed to have worry in her voice. “He disappeared on me a few hours ago. I was hoping you've heard from him.”
 
Kagome seemed confused. Her partner offered her a pair of latex gloves. She put them on with the phone on her shoulder. “No, I haven't Kisa. Listen I'm sorry but this really isn't a good time for me. Ok? I'll talk to you later.”
 
“Ok, I'm sorry. I'm at home so call me there. Bye.” They hung up.
 
“Who was that?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“A friend of Souta's was looking for him.” Inuyasha was kneeling next to the sheet by now. And with a flip of the wrist the face of the victim was revealed.
 
The boy's skin was pale from the cold water and loss of blood. Hair was covered in mud and matted. The multiple stab wounds seemed to clean, probably from the water. Bruises covered the body.
 
Inuyasha didn't think anything of it. But he seemed familiar. He excused it anyways. The lifeless body was nothing new.
 
Despite of everything going through her head at the moment, Kagome keep her face professional. She felt like she was hit by a truck. Suddenly her heart wasn't working and everything was starting to spin. It wasn't the site that caused her to react in such a way. She was a homicide detective. She had seen the site many times before. She saw the many faces of the lifeless victims. It wasn't the look on the boy's face or even the fact that the victim was the same age as the teens she saw everyday.
 
It was the eyes. They were eyes she knew very well. The soft, beautiful, eyes that she had grown up with. She thought she was going to puke. But amazingly, she was able to hold herself together--barley, but she was able to.
 
“I'd say he was about 14 year of age…” Inuyasha thought out loud.
 
Kagome looked at her partner. He didn't recognize him. Kagome couldn't blame him. It had been a while since her brother was at the station; Inuyasha probably didn't even get a good look at him when he was there. Kagome tried to block the memory of seeing Souta by the front desk with the ice to his head.
 
“15,” she corrected him. He always did look young for his age.
 
“What?”
 
“I'd say he's about…15.” Her eyes didn't leave the boy's face.
 
“Ok…” she was acting weird, “15 then.”
 
~*~
 
Inuyasha decided to come in early to see if he could find anything out of the files that were sent yesterday. The autopsy report should've been in by now also. Instead of finding an empty station, he found Kagome at her desk looking through them already.
 
He found this odd. She didn't come in the next day after they found the body. No call, no one had heard from her, and it pissed off Inuyasha to no end. A new case was just landed on them and the first day on the case she was out. What happened to the `dedication' everybody said she had? And now, here she was rummaging through everything.
 
People were starting to come in. “Hey Yash, what's…up?” Shippo and Sesshomaru came in together. Shippo's words faded as he saw what Inuyasha was looking at.
 
Kagome didn't look so good. She was pale, had shadows under her eyes, and her hair up in a messy bun. She had no emotion in face whatsoever. She looked like she was in her own little world.
 
Inuyasha decided against his instincts and held back the urge to yell at her for skipping out yesterday.
 
More people were coming in. Kagome didn't even know there was anybody in the building. It didn't really hit her until the yesterday morning. She had convinced her self she was having a nightmare when she went to bed. But when she woke up and saw her brother's bed unruffled, she couldn't walk.
 
Her brother was gone.
 
He wasn't coming home. The boy she saw last night under the white sheet was her baby brother, her entire life. He was the only thing she had left. What was she going to do now? She couldn't eat, speak, or even think straight. She just sat on her brother's floor all day, hoping to god that she the floor would swallow her whole her. But when it didn't she knew she would have to do her job. What she was her best at. She was going to find who took her brother's life.
 
“Are the reports in?” A familiar voice called her back.
 
“Yeah…” she handed Inuyasha the autopsy reports without looking at him.
 
“Kagome?” Shippo put his hand on her shoulder. “Are you ok? You don't look so good.” She looked up at her friend. Her eyes had no color. It made Shippo shiver.
 
“I'm fine…never been better.” Her voice was frail. She didn't even try to give him a false smile.
 
By now everyone arrived to work. Her friends all eyed her. She didn't notice.
 
“Kagome are you sure?” Sango asked.
 
“Yes…”
 
“Kagome?” A loud voice called from the back.
 
“What?!” She snapped without warning. Everyone flinched at the surprise. She didn't even know who it was before she turned around.
 
Toutousai didn't take the attitude personally. He put it against her, he knew why she was acting the way she was. “I need to speak to you in my office.” With that he walked through his door. She followed without a word.
 
“Yes Sai?” Kagome closed the door behind her.
 
“I just looked over the reports a few minutes ago.” He had his own copy. “And I understand you were close to the victim.”
 
Kagome was too out of it to realize wear this was going. “Yes.”
 
“Which is exactly why I'm taking you off the case.”
 
This got Kagome's attention.
 
~*~
 
Watched his partner she until she closed the door to their boss's office. He, then, opened the folder that held the reports.
 
“Is it just me or does she look like she's going to pass out?” Miroku whispered to Bankotsu.
 
“It's not you.” He paused. “She wasn't answering her phone yesterday. I don't know…she was fine Saturday night.”
 
“You can't do that!” Kagome said just loud enough for everyone to hear. She had been so wrapped up in the reality of the situation that it never occurred to her that would, most likely, be taken off the case.
 
Toutousai's response was too soft for the group outside too hear. “Kagome, it's going to affect your work. You're too emotional as it is. I can't put you on this case.”
 
“No it won't. I need this case, Toutousai!” Everybody was just hearing her side of the conversation…if you could call it that.
 
“Kagome, go home. You're mourning. You need to relax -“
 
“How am I suppose to relax when -“ She couldn't finish, her voice broke at the thought of even mentioning her brother's name.
 
“I'm still going to have Inuyasha on the case, don't worry, he'll find whoever did this,” When Kagome's face remained tense he decided to go another way. “Kagome go home.”
 
“No.” She sounded like a little kid refusing to eat her vegetables.
 
“That wasn't a suggestion.” His voice lowered. “I don't want to see you for the rest of the week.”
 
When Kagome left the office, all eyes were on her. She ignored them as her coat and keys.
 
Kagome looked at Inuyasha as she walked by him. He didn't like it. What he saw was not the Kagome he'd worked with for the pass month. She looked broken.
 
His confusion turned to shock as he saw the name on the papers in his hands. “Shit.”
 
Author's Notes: Don't be mad at me. I practically cried while writing this chapter. I really didn't want to do it, but then we wouldn't have a story. I feel terrible for doing it.