InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Personal ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters in the Inuyasha cast. In this story, Kisa is not the Kisa from Fruits Basket. I'm just using the name. But the story line in this story is all my idea, to anyone who may make or have made any similar stories is by coincidence.
 
Chapter Twelve:
 
When Kagome pulled up to the station, she hoped no one was there already. She wanted to avoid just about everyone. Last night, not long after Inuyasha had left, she had gotten multiple messages on the answering machine from Sango and Rin and at least six from Bankotsu. So she assumed they knew, which meant they were going to feel sorry for her and go out their way to help her in any annoying way they could. It wasn't that she didn't appreciate it, it was just that anything they might say would just remind her of her brother and make it harder for her deal with it. She figured if her friends treated her like they normally did it, she would be able set aside the fact that this was her brother she was defending until the case was solved.
 
But, unfortunately, they weren't the only people she wanted to avoid. Right now, she would've rather have had to deal with all of her friends at once than face her partner. But how was that going to happen? She worked with the damn idiot! She couldn't get over what he had done last night. She couldn't get over that she didn't object to what he had done last night. She never really thought of him that way until then. Of course it had crossed her mind when Rin so obviously pointed it out just a few days ago but she had simply dismissed it before the thought could really seep in.
 
How is Inuyasha handling it? She didn't know if he was going to confront her or avoid her. Or whether or not he was going to pull that cocky attitude that made her want to hit him.
 
She shook her head as if to through everything she had been thinking away. All she wanted was get in, grab some things she needed to pick up, and be on her way to the morgue. Fortunately only she only ran into Sango and Miroku. They wouldn't be too apologetic to her would they?
 
“Hey…” Sango softly greeted her once the couple spotted her.
“Hey,” she gave them a false smile.
“Everything okay? You know…with…”
“Yeah…” Kagome looked through her and Inuyasha's desk trying to find those files she needed. “,everything's fine. Have a lot on my mind is all.”
 
None of them said anything for a moment. Miroku didn't seem to know what to say, which was odd considering he had worked in homicide once before and what he and Sango were in didn't have a very different concept. Kagome didn't mind it, Sango assumed it was because this was his friend who had lost someone and not a complete stranger he had never met until the case had been landed on him.
 
“Kagome, you know, if you need anyone to talk to -“
 
“I know, Sango,” she looked up from the stacks of papers she was looking through. “I know.” She gave her another smile for reassurance which was ironic in a way. “Um, have you seen where the files are…”
 
“Inuyasha just left with them…”Miroku answered her. “He said you guys were going to meet at the morgue.” Kagome must've reacted strangely the sound of his name because the two were beginning to look at her funny once he had said it. “Are you two ok?”
 
“What?” Kagome decided to play dumb.
“Cause both of you have been sort of…jumpy whenever the other is mentioned…” Miroku eyed her.
 
“Why would I be....” The night before flashed before her eyes. “…jumpy?” Their stares were beginning to burn holes in her face. “Ok, well, I gotta go. Thanks guys. See you later.” The detective hurried to the entrance of the building.
 
~*~
 
Inuyasha looked at his watch. Kagome was going to be late and to be honest, he was getting impatient. He couldn't blame her though, for being late, he did after all kiss her out of the blue last night. She was probably hesitating to even show up. He still didn't understand as to why he did something so stupid. Subconsciously he was hoping she would…like it. But she did like it. Why else did she not pull back? She's in denial as much as you are…he was beginning to fight with himself again. Besides, this was probably not the best time to do something drastic considering she did just lose her brother and that they were going to be working on it…together! Oh, now you think this…great timing moron!
 
“Shut up…” he quietly yelled at himself.
“Inuyasha?” The sudden voice made him jump.
“Oh, uh…”
“Were you just…talking to yourself?” Kagome couldn't help but smirk despite the situation.
“Keh,”
“Sorry I'm late…” She said slowly. She kept starring at him as if to try and decipher what he was doing just a moment ago and the look on his face. “I didn't know you had everything already.”
 
She was trying to sound as if nothing had happened last night. Kagome was about to listen to the ME describe how, she believed, her brother was murdered. The last thing she needed was an awkward feeling between her and Inuyasha. Even though she was feeling it anyway and she could tell Inuyasha was by the way he shifting his weight every few seconds. Maybe it would go away after awhile. Inuyasha looked confused as he followed her through the hospital doors.
 
“What have you got for us, Kagura?” Kagome rushed as she pulled on a pair of latex gloves.
 
“Just a sec,” The woman mumbled as she wrote in a manila folder, distracted. When she shut it she headed for the metal slab that held a body, covered with a white sheet. Kagome took in deep breath and held it while the ME pulled the sheet to uncover the detective's cold pale brother.
 
It felt worse than she thought it was going to be. She thought that the fact that she dealt with this stuff constantly would've been worth something during this case. But it only made the situation seem more real. The tears that where going to fall last night were threatening to do so again. She pushed them back. It wasn't an option; she had to be professional about this.
 
Even though Kagome did a pretty good job at disguise the wave of emotions that came over her, Inuyasha watched her intently. He half expected her to start crying and seemed she would for a moment when her face was beginning to turn red.
 
“It seems the time of death about an hour or so before the body was found.” Kagura was very professional and didn't seem to have time for emotions, which was what, most likely, made her such an excellent ME. “The stab wounds seem random. If you look you'll notice stab wounds in both his arms and even a few on his legs.”
 
“Not very likely areas of the body to target.” Inuyasha thought out loud. “You think the boy fought back?” He continued to watch his partner out of the corner of his eye.
 
“Most likely, I'm guessing he used his arms to block his face and kicked at the perpetrator causing him to miss the boy's chest multiple times. Which would explain why the wounds in his arms and legs seem just a bit older than the chest wounds, they were still bleeding when I got to the scene, unlike the wounds in the arms and legs.” When Kagome hadn't said anything by now, the ME looked up at her. On the partner's last case, she was the most vocal. It seemed to really get on Inuyasha's nerves too. She paused before she moved on from Souta's chest down to his hands and pointed at his knuckles. They were scraped and bruised pretty bad. “If you notice, the boy fought back, so when you're looking for you're suspects, look for a facial wound.”
 
She paused once more, “But, I believe the cause of death was drowning. The boy had several concussions and it seems he was unconscious when the victim was dumped.”
 
“Wait,” Inuyasha stopped her, “Why would the perpetrator try and dispose of the body if he wasn't dead?”
 
“It could be because of two possible reasons. One: could've been that he was in a hurry so when the victim fought back, it just made him more anxious to get rid of him. And the other could've been that he -“
“Already thought he was dead.” Kagome finished for her suddenly. The woman could just see it. What most likely happened to her baby brother. While she was absorbing Kagura's report, she was trying to get a good idea of what just happened. She was trying to put the pieces together in her head.
 
The two other people eyed her, “Correct…” Kagura said slowly. “I am almost positive that it didn't take long for him to become impatient and resolved to hitting him until the victims became unconscious.” Inuyasha squinted at the thought of it. My god, this guy was insane. Kagome's face showed so many emotions in the matter of seconds. Disturbance, sadness…anger. “All together, it seems this attack was fueled by anger. You can definitely say it was a rage attack.
 
“Are you saying this attack was personal?” Inuyasha seemed disgusted. In the past few years he's been a detective a rage attack was usually personal.
 
Kagome knew this as well. But who would resent Souta so much that they would want him dead? Or was it because it her that he's dead? Had she made a dangerous enemy? It was suddenly hard to breath. If that was so, then Souta was dead because of her…
 
“Kagome?” Inuyasha placed his hand on her shoulder. She seemed a bit dazed and she was breathing heavy. His touch made her jump. After she took a glimpse at him she turned back to the woman eyeing her. “Is that all Kagura?” she choked.
 
“Mmmm, one more thing.” The woman remained at Souta's hand. But instead, holding his hand in a way that exposed the knuckle, she held the fingers. “They're clean.” Inuyasha had a blank look. Kagome seemed to know where this is going. “The nails have absolutely nothing underneath them.” She paused as if it was obvious as to what the bog deal was.
 
“What?” Inuyasha wasn't having a good day.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes and sighed in annoyance. “His hands weren't ever that clean after a shower,” she pointed out, “and, considering he was fighting back, his nails should be covered on blood and dirt.” The cop in her took control. “And, possibly, have DNA under them.”
 
Though she would never admit it, Kagura was impressed. She knew this was Kagome's brother. The fact that she could stay so professional while realizing what should be the obvious wasn't what she expected.
 
“They cleaned his…nails?” It didn't make since to him? Man this case was confusing him.
 
“Yes.” Kagura finished.
 
“If the perpetrator was going clean his nails then why not his hands all together?” Inuyasha asked. It caused Kagome to look at the woman, looking for an answer.
 
She closed her eyes and shook her head, “No need to. The blood is all the victims. Any injuries he might've inflicted on them had to be internal.”
 
They let the information seep into they're heads before heading for the door. “Thanks, if you find anything else, give us a call.” Inuyasha requested and she nodded in response. Kagome didn't stop or slow her pacing.
 
This wasn't making since. The fact that this was a personal attack kept drilling in her mind. This had to be because of her. All because of her. What she didn't realize was that the last thing she needed to be doing was blaming herself.
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha called to her once she was in the parking lot. She ignored. “Kagome!” He was closer this time. She could hear it.
 
“What?” she snapped. To be honest, Kagome didn't know if he was going say something about the case or last night or try to comfort her or even tell her he knew what she was thinking and right now she didn't care. Right now she had to push everything she was thinking in the back of her head. The day wasn't over yet.
 
“Are you alright?” he asked even though it was blatantly obvious she was. At least it was to him.
 
“I'm great, Inuyasha! I am fucking fantastic! Why wouldn't I be?” Her sarcasm was heavy.
 
Ok…I deserved that…he was sure the last thing she wanted to do was talk to him. Especially him.
 
Kagome sighed and calmed down. Where the hell did the outburst come from? “I'm fine.” She mumbled this time, looking down at her car…away from his face.
 
He noticed she didn't look any better than last night. She wasn't going to until this case was solved. Kagome was going to kill herself if she kept doing this. He also noticed the only expression she had able to give the last couple days was emotionless. It was taking her every fiber of her being not to break down and if she didn't let it out soon, she was going to blow.
 
He knew this because he was one with a temper and he had, more than once, had to control it and eventually he would explode if he couldn't let it out for awhile. It had to e the same thing with Kagome. Except it had to be more than just anger. She needed to yell. She needed to morn. She needed to get his all straightened out. She needed to cry.
 
“Look, I know I am not the person you want to be at all close to at the moment but…” She looked calmly at him as he said this. “I am here.” He reached for her hand as a way to get his point across. She let him take it, even though everything in her was telling her that this was too close. Her face was beginning change colors. He was distracting her and once again she had to fight everything she was feeling, including for him. She refused to look at his face.
 
So he took her chin gently and turned her face to look at him. “You might be fooling some but it's not working on me. You're not letting yourself deal with this whole ordeal they you want to. Instead you're not talking care yourself and you're only making it harder for you to work on this case.”
 
What he was saying and the fact that he was right was making her defensive. Kagome pulled back from him. “Would you stop it? You have no idea what you're talking about. You're my partner. Not a counselor. If I want you're opinion on how to deal this then I will ask you.” She said angrily. But Inuyasha just starred at her the same way he did after he kissed her before darting for her apartment door. His eyes were having effect on her. “And…you can't keep doing that! S-stop trying to be this understanding person. Be the asshole you are. Insult me, annoy me, yell at me or something! Last night was…I would've never…if you didn't surprise me like that then I would've never -“
 
“Kissed me back?” Inuyasha finished for her.
 
When she couldn't think of anything to say to that she turned around got into her car. Inuyasha couldn't explain what was going on with himself. He just wasn't himself anymore. He was always thinking about her, worrying about her, wanting to help her. And it was scarring the shit out of him.
 
Author's Note: Sorry it took longer to post this one. It was my fault. But I wanted to inform you all that I probably won't be posting much in the next month. I'm still going to try but I have major stuff going on starting next week and I'm not going to have a lot of time to write. Please still check, though, I will hopefully get in a couple more chapters. And I will defiantly be writing when I can. I'm loving where I'm taking this story and I'm not going to be able to stop cold turkey for awhile, lol. But once my plans are over I will have my writing time again.