InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Subtle ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters in the Inuyasha cast. In this story, Kisa is not the Kisa from Fruits Basket. I'm just using the name. But the story line in this story is all my idea, to anyone who may make or have made any similar stories is by coincidence.
 
Chapter Thirteen:
 
“In other news,” the reporter began another story as the group of friends gathered around the television. Sesshomaru had turned it on earlier that morning when he saw the paper stating that they're had been a boy found in the river downtown. It had to be Inuyasha and Kagome's case. There hadn't been any other local murders recently and he and Rin both figured they would want to see what the reporters had to say about the information they had, somehow, come across. “an unidentified boy was found, brutally murdered, in the Tokyo river last week when a young boy and his mother came across a washed up garbage bag on the beach. He appeared to be in between the ages of 13 and 16. Cause of death in currently unknown. More on this story as it develops—“
 
Inuyasha put the television on mute. “Dammit!” He hit his desk, making both his and Kagome's shake momentarily. “How did they find out?” He yelled. This was his least favorite part of his job.
 
Reporters.
 
They always managed to find someone who was willing to do say anything to get their 15 minutes of fame. And after that, trying to do their jobs in peace was impossible. But right now how they found out wasn't as important as what they find out. If they knew it was one of Tokyo's detective's brother that was found it would start a chain of big problems, both, for Kagome and the entire precinct.
 
“Dammit,” he said under his breath this time.
“Settle down, Inuyasha.” Kagome ordered softly, “What's done is done. There's nothing we can do about it now. We just have to be more careful.” She seemed annoyed by everything around her. They all had an idea as to what it was, though. Especially Inuyasha.
 
The day before after the morgue the two detectives spent the day talking to a bunch of kids from Souta's school. Including Kisa. But she didn't know anything.
 
“I don't know what happened. He said he was going to get something to eat and he never came back. I figured he couldn't find me and went home thinking I did the same but when I called there wasn't an answer so I called you. She tried hard to hold back a sob. “Who could do something like this? Everybody loved him. He was always so sweet. Who would want to hurt him?” She wasn't succeeding. “Oh, Kagome. I miss him so much. We all do…everyone at school…Kagome moved from the chair she was sitting on next to Inuyasha and moved to the couch with Kisa.
 
Kisa was her friend and trying to be professional about this was not working. You could tell by the redness of her eyes that she had been crying before her and Inuyasha showed up.
 
“I know, Kisa.” Kagome rubbed the girls back. “Believe me. I know.”
 
 
Did he have anybody who was angry with him? Was there anyone that was jealous of him? Anybody he knew that might've been taking drugs. These were all questions that became all too familiar with the two.
 
And the only thing they got from the kids and teachers was Kyoto; the only person that had caused problems. But Kagome already knew about him. He was the only one anybody knew of that might've had a problem with Souta. Kagome hardly thought that he was capable of killing a classmate though. Besides, she knew that this was probably a waste of time. Kagome knew her brother like the back of her hand. He didn't have any enemies.
 
But she was sure she did. She put away enough people for others to get angry. Some of them had gone completely crazy at times.
 
Kagome was in to far into her thoughts to realize she was being watched. Inuyasha watched her intently as she fiddled with a piece of scrap paper. He could tell she was zoned out. When she spoke it was easy to say she wasn't really there. That she was only faintly aware of her surroundings.
 
Almost everybody was watching them, though. They all had somewhat of an idea as to why Kagome was acting strange, but Inuyasha? As far as he was concerned this was just another case. Maybe it was because this case, out of them all, was going by slowly. They hadn't really gotten anywhere with it. Right now all they could do was wait to see if they could find the car the perpetrator had used that night.
 
He's falling for her, Sesshomaru grimaced as he realized what he was thinking. Oh god, he thought, I'm turning in to Rin. But it was so obvious. Inuyasha no longer looked at Kagome like he did with him when they were younger. His were purely filled with concern and confusion. He didn't try to pick a fight with her anymore and when she did get on his nerves, he let it slide. Of course that could be because he was sympathizing for her. But Sango and Rin were starting to put ideas in his and Miroku's head. Now even they were beginning to become convinced that something was going on that they didn't know about.
 
“So,” Kagome took a drink of her fourth cup of coffee as Miroku began loudly to get the partner's attentions. Well he got everybody's attention and it was obvious that he was thinking the same thing as Sesshomaru and the girls, “is something…going on between…you two?”
 
This caused Inuyasha's eyes to turn to the size of tennis balls and his face to turn red. Kagome choked. Literally. Miroku could've at least waited until she swallowed her drink. Now she was coughing vigorously. Where the hell did that come from?
 
Sango hit him hard in the arm. “Ow! What the f—what the hell was that for?” Sesshomaru rolled his eyes. “Miroku!” Rin hissed. Shippo looked oblivious as to why everybody had the reactions they did. Kilala just shook her head. Men.
 
Inuyasha couldn't help but to turn around and look to see if there someone behind him that Miroku could possibly be talking to. When there was nothing there but a wall his head snapped back to his friends. But not before getting a glance at Kagome choking.
 
Rin leaned over and patted Kagome on the back. “Are you ok?”
 
Kagome nodded violently, “Yeah,” she squeaked, “yeah, I fine.”
 
“What?” Inuyasha managed to yell at Miroku. The immediate anger in his voice was a dead giveaway.
 
Did I just hear him ask what I think he asked? Kagome thought as she hit her chest with her fist.
 
“No! Of course not you air head! What kind of an idiotic question is that?” Inuyasha answered little too fast.
 
Yeah…right. Sango rolled her eyes. They all knew he was full of it. So they turned to Kagome.
 
She looked around to see all eyes on her; Inuyasha red in the face. And she couldn't deny it. Hers was too. “What?” she asked innocently. What else could she say? Inuyasha practically came told them. Could he be anymore subtle? How was she supposed to cover that up?
 
“Is anything going on between you and Inuyasha?” Miroku asked impatiently.
 
Sango hit him again. He winced once more and glared at her. “Oh, like you're not thinking it!”
 
“You guys,” Kagome finally answered, “The only thing that is going on between us is this case. You're not missing anything.” She lied. But she did so convincingly, unlike Inuyasha.
 
“There,” Miroku seemed to find this acceptable. He looked at Sango again. “Now you and Rin can stop whispering about them—Ow!” Sango hit him for a third time. “Would you stop that!”
 
She looked up from her, now, former boyfriend to meet the cold stares of Inuyasha and Kagome. They somehow manage to glare at Rin as well. She smiled sheepishly.
 
Sango wasn't buying her friend's excuse, though. “Then how come you never fight anymore? And how come whenever the two of you are in the same room it gets all awkward like we're in high school or something? Hm?”
 
They didn't expect Sango to fight back. And now they were only confirming her suspicions. “Hm?” She edged when they didn't answer.
 
 
“Look—“ Inuyasha was interrupted by the man that sat at the front desk.
“Kagome?” The man seemed to have to bug her and a lot lately. He never had to do this before she started here. He felt bad having to bug her. But this time she almost seemed grateful for the interruption.
 
“Yeah?” She answered immediately.
 
“Uh, you have a visitor.”
 
She seemed a bit confused for a second. Who could possibly be trying to get a hold of her now? “Who is it?”
 
“Kagome?” a soft voice called from behind her. She tensed up and her eyes went wide and hard. She knew who it was, immediately. Forgetting that voice was like forgetting to breath.
 
She looked at her friends in front of her, who all were staring at the source of the voice, before she turned around to face the person behind her.
 
Authors Note: I'm home! I'm finally back and here with my precious computer. I am so sorry. I planned on getting a chapter or two in but, once again, something just had to come up along with vacation. But I'm here now with chapter 13 and I'm already working on 14 so it should be up soon. Sorry it's so short but I decided to cut it into pieces for future chapters. I hope you enjoyed it and make sure you let me know! =]