InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Too Much ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters in the Inuyasha cast. In this story, Kisa is not the Kisa from Fruits Basket. I'm just using the name. But the story line in this story is all my idea, to anyone who may make or have made any similar stories is by coincidence.
 
Chapter Sixteen:
 
When the detectives arrived at Kisa's home multiple police surrounded the house along with flashing lights. An ambulance was parked along the side walk with an EMT in the back. He was the only one so the others must have been in side.
 
Kagome was only a few steps from running into the house even though it seemed she really didn't have anything to worry about for nobody was in a hurry at all to get anyone to the hospital or find anything they could use for evidence in the future.
 
Kisa sat on the couch along with her mother who was holding her tightly while the other EMT wrapped her wrist snugly into a splint. She didn't seem to be hurt with the exception of a few cuts and bruises. It was enough ton send Kagome heart racing. Was this the work of the same person who killed her brother? Why did they want Kisa? And was she still in any danger? The expression on the girl's face made Kagome want to hit something. This was Kisa. And it took a lot to take the smile she always had on her face. She was having a hard time accepting Souta's death and now this.
 
“Kisa?” Kagome called when as closed the distance between them.
The girl's tear stained face looked up from her wrist. “Oh, Kagome!” Her voice still had fear in it.
“Kisa, what happened? How bad are you hurt?”
“Not very,” the EMT answered for her. “We think her wrist is broken but other than that, nothing more than bruises and a few cuts from the broken glass really.” He seemed very professional. “We'll need to take down to the hospital to check that out though.” His head nodded towards Kisa's arm.
“I'm f-fine, Kagome.” Kisa reassured her.
 
“Kisa?” Inuyasha began softly. The last time he met her, he thought of her as very sweet and mature girl. He could see she was already extremely on edge. “What happened?”
 
“I-I'm not really sure. It happened so fast…”she looked down at her lap as if she was trying to remember something important. “Mom had to go out for a bit and I didn't feel very well so I went to bed early. When I woke up I heard my window being broken into. S-someone came th-through my window and attacked me. He gave up and ran after the headlights from my mom's car came though my window.”
 
“Did he try to take you out of the house?”
She nodded her head. “H-he tried to take me through the window.” She held out her arms that held deep cuts that looked like they would need stitches.
“Could you see his face?”
She shook her head, “No, not really, it was too dark. But he had long hair, I know that. And he was strong.”
“And you're sure it was a man,”
“Yes, definitely. He was tall and his voice was rough.”
 
Kagome looked up at Inuyasha who was returning the favor. “He talked to you?”
 
“Kinda, he was mumbling, it was hard to understand. I wasn't really listening though, either. And it didn't seem like he was talking to me. More like he was thinking out loud.”
 
“What did he say?” Inuyasha tried not to sound eager. Maybe they could finally find something that could help them.
 
“All I could get was `Too much'. But that's it.” The two cops' faces fell, not meaning to. That didn't really help with the case. Kisa saw this. “I'm sorry.” She sounded so guilty that she wasn't much of a help.
 
“Oh no, Kisa. You have nothing to worry about.” Kagome assured her.
 
“Kagome?” She whimpered. She was starting to cry. “Do you think thi-this guy…hurt S-Souta?” It was easy to tell that it hurt her to say his name.
 
Inuyasha's face grew solemn. As did Kagome's, trying her best not to let a lot of what she was feeling show. Like she did before Inuyasha had showed up earlier… “We're not sure, Kisa.” Kagome took the girl's unwrapped hand. “But we're going to find out.” Her voice seemed more determined.
 
“Uh, detectives?” The EMT from earlier interrupted with an uncomfortable expression. “We need to get her to the hospital now.” `Her' meaning Kisa.
 
“Alright. Bye Kagome…” she turned to Inuyasha, “Detective.” Kisa said goodbye to the man politely and followed the EMT. Her mother followed her daughter, making sure she didn't leave her sight.
 
~*~
 
Kagome slammed her door in frustration as Inuyasha started the ignition. “How many does that leave us?” Inuyasha grumbled. He, like Kagome, was getting a headache.
 
Earlier yesterday morning it was clear someone had leaked that they had found the car used in the murder when it was announced on the morning news. And because of this he and Kagome had spent a good part of the day going to people's homes listening to nonsense because, suddenly, almost everybody in Tokyo thought they had seen a young boy being forced into a black SUV a while ago.
 
Better to be safe than sorry, though.
 
“Twelve,” Kagome leaned her head on the back of the car seat and closed her eyes as she answered. “If I ever find the person who squealed I'm gonna shove my fist down their throat.” Inuyasha smirked as he imagined exactly what Kagome was describing. “I bet they wouldn't be talking much at all for a while.”
 
“Get in line.”
 
Kagome chuckled silently before the car became quiet. “So how's Kisa doing?” Inuyasha didn't like the silence. Ever since their kiss it was always strange to be alone with each other when it was silent. It was almost as if one knew exactly what the other was thinking about.
 
“Fine,” Kagome kept her eyes closed. “I've been visiting her a lot and she seems to be ok.” But then again there is something called acting that we all do often. She wondered how the girl had been sleeping. Each time she had come over to her house, Kisa had shadows under her eyes. Could you blame her? Anyone would be afraid to go to bed after being attacked in her own home. “She's having a hard time adjusting to the cast, though.” It had turned out that Kisa's right wrist-also her writing hand-was broken. So you can imagine how difficult it would be for her to suddenly start having to depend on her left. “But she's healing pretty well.”
 
“Oh, well that's good.” Inuyasha didn't really know how else to respond. He was happy to hear Kisa was getting along fine. From what he has seen, she was a very nice girl and he didn't like the idea of her getting hurt for something that, he was sure, wasn't necessary.
 
“I just can't seem to figure out what this guy could've possibly wanted with Kisa?” Kagome suddenly continued. She was assuming this was the same person who took her brother away from her. “And `Too much'? What could that possibly mean?”
 
After a moment of pause, Inuyasha shrugged. He had been thinking of the same thing for three days now. It was easy to say they were both anxious to get the test results for the car like a kid was the night before his birthday.
 
“Kagome…”Inuyasha hesitantly began.
 
She looked over to him when he didn't continue, “Yes?”
 
“Don't you think we should…talk?”
 
Kagome's brows knitted together, “Talk?”
 
Inuyasha stole a glance at her before returning his eyes to the road. She was going to make him say it. “About the night Kisa was attacked.” He finished quickly. He didn't believe the way he sounded. You could say he sounded like a nervous boy from high school trying to ask a girl to a school dance.
 
Kagome's forehead smoothed and her mouth opened slightly. “Oh,” Suddenly their kiss came flooding back to her. To be honest she had completely forgotten about it since Kisa had been attacked. After remembering the intensity of that moment, unwillingly, she blushed.
 
Oh my gosh…I'm blushing, she thought, Why are you blushing? You're not supposed to blush. You're not some school girl anymore, Kagome. Be professional about this.
 
Suddenly another side of her unconsciousness came to life. Oh please, professional? How are you professional about a kiss? A kiss is a kiss. Whether it happened in high school or now, it doesn't matter. It's clear he likes you. This would be the second time he's kissed you may I remind you. And the blood rushing to your face is undeniable proof that you like him. Just talk to him about it and get it over with. He's just as uncomfortable about this as you are. The only thing that makes you different is that he had the guts to do something about his feelings.
 
“Kagome?” She was suddenly pulled out of her thoughts.
 
“Hmm?” It took her a moment before everything came back to her. “Oh, uh, I don't know Inuyasha. What do you want to talk about…exactly?”
 
Dammit, “W-well…uh, it's hard to say…it seemed like we both wanted it…” This was humiliating on both their parts. Inuyasha wanted to kick himself. He had never had problems catching women's attention before. Why was it so hard now? And why did he have to have all these confusing feelings towards Kagome, of all women. “…I guess.”
 
Kagome heard the uncertainty in his words. “Yes.” She agreed with him, giving him certainty that Kagome had been affected by all of this as well. She already knew where this was all coming from. What he was getting at. It was strange to her though. Not to long ago, they were always at each others throats and now…here they were, talking about their relationship. “Look Inuyasha, any other time I would've considered it but now…well everything's happening so fast and now this…it's just taking a toll on me.”
 
Stupid! What are you doing? Why are you denying him? He could be a shoulder to lean on. He's already offered it more than once. You're always thinking about how you're alone now. How you lost the only person who meant something to you. That's true but now you won't be alone. You'll have Inuyasha. If you would just stop rejecting him! Souta would've wanted you to give him a chance. Kagome winced when these harsh words escaped her thoughts.
 
“Yeah, ok. I understand that…” Inuyasha nodded, “But did it ever occur to you that everything going on right now…it doesn't have to be this hard for you? Maybe if you let someone get close, you'd be able to handle this better than you have been.”
 
She turned her face away from him. What? Was he reading her mind? She silently cursed at herself. “Getting close…well it isn't something I'm very good at. I tend to stay away from anything like this. It just makes it easier for when they leave you.”
 
Inuyasha thought, intently, before speaking. “Does this have anything to do with your father leaving when you were younger?”
 
Kagome's face showed shock. She didn't expect him to bring her father up. But as she thought about it, she knew he was right. It was strange, really. She never thought about any of this as a problem, the way she lived apart from everybody, before. Now that she thought about why, exactly, she lived the way she had been it was blatantly obvious.
 
Her fingers suddenly became very interesting, “He isn't the only reason.”
 
Author's Note: Ok, so I take it people are reading and enjoying my story which I am thrilled to hear…or, I should say, read. Thank you so much for those of you are reviewing and, please, don't stop. Umm, let's what else…this chapter is, actually, a bit earlier than I thought it would be so I hope you liked it and I should have the 17 up in a day or two. I'm not completely sure but it shouldn't be too long.