InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Pity ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters in the Inuyasha cast. In this story, Kisa is not the Kisa from Fruits Basket. I'm just using the name. But the story line in this story is all my idea, to anyone who may make or have made any similar stories is by coincidence.
 
Author's Note: Ok, I know it's short but everything else is for future chapters. I hope like this chapter. I don't like it but I can't find another way to take this chapter. I hope YOU enjoy it, though.
 
Chapter Seventeen:
 
Kagome slapped her hand over her mouth. That wasn't supposed to leave her mouth. She couldn't believe she said that out loud. Oh my god…
 
Way to go airhead. Now he's gonna interrogate you until you spill. Maybe if you just said yes to him in the FIRST place you wouldn't have been stupid enough to say THAT OUT LOUD! Ugh!!!
 
“What?” Inuyasha's eyebrows had knitted to together when she finally looked up at him.
 
“Nothing.” She hoped he would leave it at that. “It was nothing.”
 
“Kagome…” What did she mean, `He isn't the only reason'? Was there someone else who had hurt her to such an extent? “What are you talking about?”
 
“Nothing,” She said, more sternly.
 
“You're not getting off the hook. What happened?”
 
“It's personal.”
 
“So is the story with your father but I know about that.” He compared.
 
“Yeah, because he showed up at the station. Everybody knows about -“ she stopped abruptly when they passed a piece of ground with what use to be a warehouse but was now half ruble and burnt wood. Haft of it was still up; it could still easily have been used again if they touched it up a little. It didn't seem useful now though. Kagome recognized the area. The warehouse held paint or something for storage when she was younger. “What happened?” She nodded toward the burnt ground.
 
Inuyasha seemed confuse for a moment. Like he had no idea what she was talking about until he got a good look at what she was asking him about. “Oh, it caught on fire last year. Nobodies' cleaned it up yet.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“Kagome, you still haven't answered my question.” She winced, “What happened?”
 
She took in a deep breath preparing to refuse to tell him when her thoughts got the better of her. Oh for crying out loud! Just tell him! It's not like it's top secret! He's not going to shut up until you spill anyways.
 
“It was a long time ago. It really isn't a big deal.” The look he gave told her he still wanted to know. She sighed. “I was dating someone in school. We…we had been together for few years so it was pretty serious…at least, for high school students it was.” She lightly grinned to herself but it left as quickly as it came. “You could even say I may have…loved him.” She looked to see her partner's reaction. But he just starred intently at the road. She continued. “But Ko--“ she didn't want to say his name while she explained. When she stopped herself Inuyasha starred at her telling her to continue. “But then he started to get into drugs and he was always drunk…he did and said things that the guy I knew would've never done. I didn't really have a choice but the end it.” She took in a deep breath and continued to stare at her hands in her lap. “It just…hurt, you know? It's not something I like to talk about.”
 
Inuyasha nodded, “Yeah,” He had been there. It wasn't quite like that but he had definitely been in similar situations. He was beginning to understand why Kagome was so hard to get, at all, close to. The people she had loved the most had done something to hurt her. She just didn't want to go through that again. “I know.”
 
No one would.
 
“I'm sorry Kagome.” He seemed sincere.
 
She shook her head. This is why she didn't like telling her story. It wasn't a happy one and she didn't want anyone's pity. “Don't be. Really,”
 
They pulled into a parking lot to an apartment building when Inuyasha's phone rang. “Hello?” After a moment, his lips curved upward into a smile and he shut the phone. Before she could say anything he began to pull back out onto the street.
 
“Wha -“
 
“Forget the bogus tips. We've got a car to return.” He was, clearly, sarcastic about the car.
 
Kagome's eyes went wide. Did this mean they knew whose car it was?
 
~*~
 
“What do we have?” The cops rushed into the lab.
 
Kagura was already in front of them. Apparently she was just as excited about this as they were. “We found Souta's DNA all over the car along with, who we're assuming at the moment, the perpetrator's. The finger prints belong to a Patrick Jones.”
 
The detectives looked at each other. “He's foreign?”
 
She shrugged. “It seems that way. We haven't researched very far into his records yet.”
 
“You said you know where he lives.” He shrugged it off. Inuyasha really just wanted the address right now.
 
“Yes.” She gave him the paper with it written down.
 
“I know where that is.” Kagome informed, “Come on.”
 
~*~
 
They both had their guns out once they found the apartment door that read 4098. Kagome stood on the left side of the door, Inuyasha on the right, making sure he didn't recognize them as cops, at first, if he answered the door.
 
Inuyasha knocked on the door, “Apartment manager.” He falsely claimed. After a moment of silence, Kagome stood back and put all her strength into the kicking the door down. It gave away as if it wasn't even attached to the frame.
 
Inuyasha looked her up and down in shock. How could someone so small have all that strength? She looked back innocently, “What?”
 
He just braced his gun and stepped over the broken door as he entered the apartment.
 
They both made a face once the sight sunk in. Almost the entire place was empty. No furniture, no pictures, mail…nothing. The only thing that was out of place was the mud prints on the white carpet. Both of them avoided them purposely. They were going to have to call in a crew to get this picked up and examined. The kitchen held nothing. No food in the cupboards and only milk was in the fridge.
 
“Something tells me he never intended on staying here very long.” Kagome thought out loud. It was clear he wasn't here. No noise or rustling came from any corner. Nothing showed that he had been here at all in the past few days.
 
Kagome looked for the bathroom while Inuyasha reached for the bedroom. The bathroom was the same. Nothing. No toothpaste, shampoo… And it smelt strongly of bleach. She wrinkled her nose as she opened the cupboards (with elastic gloves, of course) below the sink.
 
“Inuyasha, I think I got something.” Under the sink were two, large bottles of bleach. No wonder the place was so clean. Not to mention, this was probably what he used to clean everything off and out of Souta's fingernails. Just to be safe.
 
When Inuyasha didn't answer she looked up from the bottles she was carefully handling. “Inuyasha?”
 
She stepped out of the bathroom. “Inuyasha?” She called again.
 
“Kagome…” He called from the bedroom. His voice didn't sound as strong as it usually did. It was filled with shock. “I think you better see this.”
 
When she walked into the doorway she only saw Inuyasha starring wildly at the walls, but only for a second. “Inuyasha what are you -“ She stopped short when she realized her surroundings.
 
Her eyes grew wide and her jaw dropped in horror. “Oh my god…”