InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Safe ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters in the Inuyasha cast. In this story, Kisa is not the Kisa from Fruits Basket. I'm just using the name. But the story line in this story is all my idea, to anyone who may make or have made any similar stories is by coincidence.
 
Chapter Eighteen:
 
Her eyes grew wide and her jaw dropped in horror. “Oh my god…”
 
The walls of the entire room were covered in pictures. Snapshots, actually. Like the rest of the apartment, no furniture was held anywhere.
 
Just pictures.
 
Covering every white spot on each wall that might've escaped was covered. They were not held in frames or on note boards. They were just plastered on the walls with tape, glue, stables…
 
Many didn't seem to be in good shape. Some were ripped, written on…almost like noted were being taken.
 
Kagome walked in further in awe. “There's even on the ceiling…” Inuyasha starred above his head.
 
But Kagome was already occupied with something else. She looked intently at one of the many photographs. She gasped.
 
These were pictures of her.
 
Her in her apartment, at the store, at the station, in her car…with Souta. Her breath caught in her throat and her face turned pale as a ghost.
 
“Kagome?” Inuyasha looked over her shoulder when he noticed her face. “What the fuck?”
 
This guy was watching her…no, not watching…stalking her.
 
Inuyasha moved on to look at others as Kagome did. Some of these she didn't remember. Some she did. A lot of these were from before she moved back here. Others were just from last week.
 
She recognized she saw of her and Inuyasha in the parking lot. She looked upset and Inuyasha concerned. The day they had to receive the autopsy report…the day he had offered himself as a shoulder to lean on. Another was of the two going at each others throat in the station before this case had even started. Another was of her very first day there. One that stuck out was of her and Souta, sitting on the benches of the station the day he had been brought there after getting into a fight Kyoto. She was smiling, he was holing an ice pack to forehead trying to hold a smile a back.
 
She felt like she would've started crying if this didn't terrify her,
 
Next the picture was another that made her call Inuyasha over to her, “Oh my god…Inuyasha, come here.” She pointed franticly at one, careful not to touch it, that made his face match her's.
 
The both of them remembered this one well. This one was recent…very recent. Just a few days old. They knew this because this memory was still very fresh in the cops minds. A memory very private.
 
There kiss. The one that both of them wanted. The one that no one was suppose to know about. Through a window stood the two of them, close together, eyes closes, their arms wrapped around each other.
 
Inuyasha searched for another. It wasn't long before he found it. Their very first kiss.
 
“Inuyasha…everything's here.” She voice became frantic. “My life for the past three years! My god, even the first time we met is here.” She pointed to one of her and him in the grocery store parking lot by a steaming car. She looked angry, and Inuyasha looked annoyed. “Souta, Kisa, You, Miroku, Sango, Rin, Sesshomaru, Shippo, Bankotsu!” She listed as she looked around more. “Everyone I've come in contact with! Jakotsu is here too!”
 
Inuyasha took her shoulders, “Kagome, you need to calm down.” Her breathing was quick and heavy, her eyes bulging. “Deep breaths.”
 
She did as she was told. Closing her eyes and taking deep breaths…eventually she was able to control herself. They were both quiet, thinking. Letting it all seep in.
 
Somebody was stalking Kagome, clearly obsessed with her. This room, right here, proved that. The guy wasn't right in the head.
 
Something clicked when she saw another picture. One of her and Inuyasha in Kisa's home. They were questioning her. “Inuyasha…” she got his attention. “What if…what if this guy…what if he was never intentionally after Kisa?”
 
This confused him, “What?”
 
“What if he never wanted to hurt her? What if when he saw us questioning her last week he realized she was with Souta the night he disappeared? And he thought that maybe…maybe he thought she saw something, that she knew `too much'…
 
Inuyasha's ears twitched as he realized what she was saying made since.
 
Whoever this was was clearly crazy. And it was obvious that this person was so obsessed with Kagome that he was willing to kill her brother…but why? If they were so concerned about what Kagome was doing at all times why would they take the one person that was her life away from her? Unless they wanted revenge…but who would want revenge on her? That was just ridiculous. Kagome couldn't remember anything she might've done to deserve something so horrible.
 
But that was the least of her worries right now. And neither was the fact that she was being stalked. What she couldn't get out of her head was the fact that it was so obvious that Souta died because of her. Because of something she must have done, because of one of her mistakes her baby brother was laying on a cold slab in the morgue. His life was over at 15. All because of her.
 
Kagome felt so much like a failure. More than ever now. She was his older sister. She was supposed to protect him. Keep him safe. Keep him on the right track as he grew into the respectable, successful, man she knew he would've been.
 
If it wasn't for her, he would be alive. He would be getting out of school with Kisa right about now. Laughing and joking around like he was always doing when he got home. And she would've probably been arguing with Inuyasha over some stupid thing like coffee.
 
Everything would've been so much easier. So much happier.
 
Kagome fought hard, as she continued to look at the frightening pictures, to hold back the tears building up in her eyes. One slide down her flustered cheek. She was too deep in thought to even realize this.
 
Inuyasha tried hard to ignore it as he pulled out his phone. She had every right to cry right now, he understood that. He also knew that she doing her best to hold it down. But what they were looking at was something extremely important and, most likely, something that could help solve this case. The only thing they should really be was professional.
 
It wasn't long before someone answered the phone, “Yeah, we're gonna need a crew down here ASAP.” He paused before answering the person on the other line, “Yeah…” he took another look around him, “Yeah, we've got something…something big.”
 
~*~
Inuyasha pulled into the parking garage of his apartment as he continued to wonder what was going through Kagome's mind. She was quiet the whole car ride. He would've dropped her off at her place but they were told not to go too far for it wouldn't take long for them to get results for the dirt on the floor and any fingerprints that may not've been this Peter guy's from the apartment.
 
Not to mention Inuyasha didn't feel too comfortable with the idea of her, being as unstable as she was and the fact that she had been being watched, spending anytime alone right now. And once they knew that she was being watched, he was sure she didn't really want to be alone either.
 
Inuyasha had to call her name to pull her from her daze.
 
“Hmm?” Her head abruptly pulled itself up to look at him.
 
“We're here.”
 
It took her a minute for the simple announcement to sink in. “Oh.” She pushed her door open and followed Inuyasha to his to the apartment building. She had never been to his apartment before now. He had always come to her, she realized. She shrugged it off, though, it really didn't matter at the moment. Insignificant, it was.
 
There was nothing abnormal about the apartment building. It was just like her building. Nothing special. His apartment was, pretty much, the same as hers. Except more of a `guys place'. She knew of such a place well. Souta was always a bit messy.
 
“Sorry about the mess.” As if Inuyasha had been reading her mind.
 
She shook her head as if to say not to worry about it. She actually, sort of, welcomed it.
 
“You can sit if you want. You want something to drink?” He offered.
 
She nodded and kicked her shoes off before setting herself into the couch. It only took a few seconds for her to be pulled back onto the void that made her feel like the failure she knew she was. Deep down she knew, the whole time, that this was all because of her, that Souta was dead due to her. But now that there was solid proof, now that it was literally starring her in the face…it felt so much stronger and it hurt so much more. The truth of it all suffocated her to the point where it was beyond difficult to breath.
 
Inuyasha sat beside her after setting their cups on the coffee table.
 
“Kagome…?” He hesitated, not really expecting her to say anything. So it surprised him to an extent when she spoke.
 
“He'd be alive…you know…” She refused to look at him as the tears slowly began to fall.
 
“You don't know that.” It was the only thing he could think of to say, even though it was, more than likely, true.
 
This made her chuckle somewhat darkly letting her face fall again. “Oh please…you saw it. The only reason he's dead is because he was brother, Inuyasha.” Her voice began to break so she stopped.
 
It hurt Inuyasha to have to watch this. He slide closer to her and wrapped his arms around her as he pulled her into his chest. It was all she needed to let the wall, she had been building to protect herself, to fall. She gave up, at least, for now. She let her face fall into his chest and he rested his cheek on top of her head.
 
She didn't know why, exactly, she was allowing this. She didn't know why Inuyasha was the only one who was able to bring out everything she wanted to hide. It confused her more than ever, as she cried, that she could feel so vulnerable and weak but safe at the same time.
 
Safe.
 
Yes, she felt safe and this was something she had longed for, without even realizing it, for such a long time. She wrapped her arms around his waist, tightly, as she thought this. She wasn't alone. At least, not now. This seemed to make cry harder.
 
He didn't say anything as her tears stained his shirt. He didn't shush her and tell her everything was going to be okay. He didn't try to settle her down. He just let her cry. Let everything she had been holding back come out in tears after the longest time of denying them.
 
“I miss him so much…” she faintly admitted. “It hurts.”
 
Inuyasha sighed, “I know.”
 
Neither of them knew how long they stayed like that. But Inuyasha held her close the entire time, giving Kagome the comfort she had needed more than ever right now. It wasn't long before the cries and whimpers subsided and her eyes became heavy.
 
Soon, the both of them fell into a long awaited slumber.
 
Author's Note: Ugh! Don't you hate when you're in the middle of this great story and then the author just stops updating?!? And I don't mean not updating for week or so. I mean, getting right into the climax and then, for no reason at all, stops. Right there! Just like that!!!!! Grrrrr! It's REALLY frustrating! Really, really, REALLY FRUSTURAITING!!! Well, ANYWAYS, sorry I didn't update sooner. I just got back from going to an amusement park with a bunch of friends so I haven't been home. Not to mention I just got a book I've been waiting a year for. Who hear loves the `Twilight Series' by Stephenie Meyer? *waves hand in the air anxiously* Oh, Oh, OH!!! I do!!! I am obsessed with those books and I just got the third one! YAY!!! I finished that book in six hours, I swear! Well, enough of my boring rambling, hope you liked this chap! Review!!! =P