InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Precious ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters in the Inuyasha cast. In this story, Kisa is not the Kisa from Fruits Basket. I'm just using the name. But the story line in this story is all my idea, to anyone who may make or have made any similar stories is by coincidence.
 
Chapter Nineteen:
 
Inuyasha was the first to awake. It was nine in the morning when he looked at the clock above the TV which surprised him. It's been a long time since he had been able to sleep in that late. It was later now an hour or so maybe. He was still tired but he didn't want to go back to sleep. Not when he realized Kagome still had her head on his chest, sleeping silently.
 
He liked how her face so innocent and stress free when she slept. Like all her worries were gone. Her breathing was steady and he could swear he could hear here heartbeat in the quiet room.
 
Inuyasha could help but feel…what? Warm and fuzzy? He didn't know how else to explain it. This…here…together…it so right. How he could provide the comfort she needed. Whether it was for something as serious as her brother dying or just something soft and warm to lie on.
 
He remembered when they had first met. How she was so mad over her car. So frustrated with the world.
 
So guarded…
 
He found it funny how he had associated her with Kikyo, now, that he'd really seen Kagome. They were completely different. Kikyo was cold, heartless. Kagome was every bit warm and beyond caring. She just didn't want anybody to know this. She didn't want anybody see how vulnerable she really was. How cheated she had been out of a normal, happy life. It wasn't fair.
 
And now…Inuyasha wasn't afraid to admit that he would try his best to give her that. Somehow…
 
A ring echoed through the room.
 
Kagome's eye fluttered open and he reached for his phone on the table side the couch. “Hello?”
 
Kagome sat up slowly, running her fingers through her hair as she listened to Inuyasha. She hadn't realized she'd fallen asleep against him last night. She blushed as last night replayed in her head. She couldn't believe she had let her guard down.
 
She couldn't help but realize something…something different. Her chest wasn't aching the way it had been since Souta died. It wasn't so heavy. She could breathe better than she had been. Kagome didn't realize any of these discomforts until now, now that they're gone.
 
She felt better. Not completely healed, but better.
 
“Kagome?” Inuyasha's quiet voice brought her back. “That was the lab. They said to come down when we're ready so if you wanted to shower or something the bathroom is down the hall.” He offered.
 
Kagome noticed he was being careful with his tine. Like he didn't want upset her in any way. “Are you suggesting I stink?” She smiled to get it across that she wasn't about to break down into tears again.
 
He smiled.
 
She stood up, “Where is it?” She asked for she wasn't exactly listening before.
 
“Down the hall, second door to your left.”
 
~*~
 
“I think you're going to like what we found.” Kagura informed once they had entered into the lab.
 
They followed her when she gestured toward the back the room. “We took any samples of anything we could find in the apartment and the only thing that got my attention was this. Does this look familiar at all to you?” She pointed to a piece of a small chunk of dirt.
 
“It's dirt, form the apartment, Kagura we already know that.” Inuyasha a bit annoyed.
 
But the woman's mischievous expression didn't alter. She just shook her head. “Not dirt.”
 
They looked closer to the chuck of brown…wood? “Wood,” Kagome guessed.
 
“But not just any wood, burnt wood, burnt wood with hints of paint on it.” She emphasized the word `paint'.
 
They both had to think for a moment before Kagome gasped and hit her partners arm for his attention. “Inuyasha, didn't you tell me that that old warehouse burnt down last year?”
 
“The one that carried paint,” he added as he realized were she what she was suggesting.
 
Kagura seemed pleased to see they understood.
“But why would he go there?”
 
Kagura raised her eyebrows at him as of to say he was missing something that was starring him in the face.
 
Kagome gasped, “I know where he's hiding.”
 
“Thank you,” Kagura smiled. “I think the dirt is fairly recent so he's probably been in the apartment not long ago.”
 
Kagome took a step to turn around towards the door when Kagura stopped her. “I wouldn't suggest you go alone, Kagome…Inuyasha. This guy isn't very sane, from I've gathered. You don't know could happen. If I were you I'd go with backup later.”
 
Kagome hesitated before she finally nodded.
 
When Kagome opened the driver's door of Inuyasha's car, he stopped. “What are you doing?”
 
“Get in.” She didn't look at him as she took her seat.
 
He did so but didn't give her the keys. “Kagome, Kagura's right. We should be going off alone, not now.”
 
“They've got another thing coming if they think I'm just going to sit here when we're this close.” Her voice had venom in it.
 
“Kagome -“
 
“Look, if we're not going to arrest this `Patrick' guy can we, a least check it out? See if there's anything there that can indicate that he might really be there?” She held her hand out for the keys.
 
Inuyasha thought for a moment.
 
“And if there is anything, we can call back up.” She assured him.
 
He couldn't believe he was doing this. He dropped the keys into her hand and she started the ignition.
 
~*~
 
They pulled in behind the old warehouse. Nothing looked touched from when they had passed in it not to long ago. Not a car or trash. Just brunt paint and wood.
 
Inuyasha and Kagome stepped out of the car. “Make sure you got your gun ready.” Inuyasha ordered his partner even though she was one step ahead of him.
 
“Split up?” Kagome suggested.
 
Inuyasha nodded. Kagome started to look around the building. With all the ruble and mess, it was easy to find a good hiding spot to camp out; Inuyasha crept inside.
 
Piles of black scraps surrounded what use to be the west side of the warehouse. There were sharp edges of the metal and various materials. Kagome barely avoided scraping herself rather badly multiple times as she climbed over the ruble.
 
She rounded another mound only to stop abruptly. If front of her was blood. Blood stained wood as if the very one of the sharp pieces she had been avoiding had gotten a hold of someone. She wasn't sure if it was their murderer's blood but it was enough to pull out her phone and call for back up.
 
~*~
 
Despite the fact that half the building was in ruins, the part that was still standing still was in pretty good shape. It still had holes in the walls and they're areas that, Inuyasha could tell, would give out if any pressure was put on it. But other than that… It was pretty dark as well considering the whole half of the warehouse was gone and sun had a chance the pour into the dump.
 
He listened closely for anything, nothing really. A bird flapped its wings. A creak came from behind him, causing him to whip around, gun in hand, but nothing. Just a wall of old stacks of planks.
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome called from out side. He turned to see her running in through what used to be a wall but now a new opening to the building. “I got someth -“ she began but was interrupted by a deafening crack from behind her partner.
 
When Inuyasha turned around once again he saw the large wall of planks being to fall around him.
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome called in horror as one of the heavy planks came to fall right where he was standing.
 
But she didn't have anything to worry about for he was able to scramble out of the way, leaving a loud boom as if hit the floor with great force. Finally the wall was completely down.
 
“What the hell happened?” Kagome rushed beside him, looking at the new mess.
 
“I don't know, they just -“ but he was interrupted as a low huff came from the shadows behind the wood.
 
“Damn,” the shadow became more viewable when its arms crossed in front of it. But it laughed soon after. “I never did have good aim.” Its voice was hard and rough. It had no hint of warmth in it. It was terrifying. Kagome squinted to see if she could make him out. Moving closer wasn't possible, though, for she was frozen from where she stood. Inuyasha was beyond tense. Slowly, the figure took step towards them. Then another. And another, until the little light there was hit his face. His face was twisted into, what looked like, a smirk. “You should remember though, wouldn't you precious?” His cold stare caught Kagome's.
 
Kagome gasped.
 
Author's Note: dun, dun, DUN!!!!!