InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Still Standing ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters in the Inuyasha cast. In this story, Kisa is not the Kisa from Fruits Basket. I'm just using the name. But the story line in this story is all my idea, to anyone who may make or have made any similar stories is by coincidence.
 
Chapter Twenty-One:
 
Koga shifted.
 
Inuyasha's hand tightened around his gun.
 
Koga aimed.
 
The three pair of eyes widened to epidemic proportions.
 
And the sound of a gunshot echoed through the air.
 
Kagome fell to the ground, clutching her stomach; screaming in pure agony.
 
The second Koga's gun went off, so did Inuyasha's; hitting the murderer in the chest. He didn't care where he hit him. Once Koga fell to the ground in a painful grunt, blood staining his entire body in minutes, Inuyasha dropped his gun. “Kagome!” He yelled in horror.
 
Kagome continued to clutch her abdomen. The pain was overwhelming. Blood continue to smear against her hands as she fought to keep her breath steady. “Inu…yasha…” she tried to say something but her cries cut her off as her breathing only made the pain worse.
 
Sirens began to sound in the back.
 
Inuyasha took her by the arm and used the other hand to try and keep her steady. She was shaking violently, trying to breath. “Kagome, Kagome stay with me.” He chanted.
 
Her vision began to blur. Realizing this, she slowly took her hand from side to reveal the entrance of the gunshot wound. Inuyasha took off his coat and bundled it up. He slowly pulled her back, exposing the wound. “Kagome…it's ok. We have some pressure on that.” For the pain resulting in the movement sharpened, causing her to cry.
 
Inuyasha gently pushed on the bullet wound with his coat. He looked over the Koga. He was still where he was. He hadn't moved; his eyes wide open. He was dead.
 
The sirens were louder now. Inuyasha looked down at Kagome. “Kagome, come on; stay with me. The ambulance is on its way.” He tried to confine the horror flowing through him as he noticed Kagome's breathing shortening. Her eyes were closing. “Kagome!” He put his hand on her face.
 
She opened her eyes with force. Things were beginning to spin and she was going numb. She couldn't breath. It hurt too much. She couldn't register what was happening. Was she shot? Was that a police car whipping to a stop no far from them? And why was there a white truck following it?
 
“Kagome…” Inuyasha's faint voice echoed in her ears. She could barely hear him. She tried to look up at him through the long tunnels her eyes had become but everything suddenly went black before she could.
 
~*~
 
Kagome's eyes opened to a bright, white light. She winced slightly as they adjusted to it. She didn't recognize the room she was in. It was white. Really white. She was propped up on a hard, uneven bed. The pillow wasn't all that comfortable either. She noticed an annoying beeping sound close to her head. From what she last remembered, she hoped that meant she was alive. Death shouldn't have been this uncomfortable.
 
When she moved her head to see multiple twisted, clear tubes wrapped around her hands, she felt something taped across her face, under her nose. She reached for it to rip it off.
 
“No, you don't.” A hand suddenly caught her lifted hand.
 
That voice was familiar. She turned her head towards where the voice had come from. “Inuyasha?”
 
He smiled softly. “Hey,”
 
She was confused. “What happened?”
 
The smile disappeared. He didn't like thinking about that. It bothered him to no end that he wasn't able to get it out of his head for the past three days now. “You were shot, Kagome.” He looked up at her. Her face said she was thinking intently. “Koga shot you.”
 
“Koga?” That caught her attention. What had happened to him? “What about him? Was he arrested?”
 
Inuyasha tried to read her thoughts for a moment. What answer did she want, exactly? “No…” he hesitated.
 
This caused the beeping on Kagome heart monitor to speed up. He got away? She began to sit up in panic.
 
Inuyasha watched as her eyes became wide before glancing at the monitor. “Kagome, Kagome calm down.” He took her by the shoulders and pushed her back down. “He's dead, Kagome. He can't do anything now.”
 
This relaxed her. He was gone. Everything was going to be alright now, right? She would be able to go back to her normal life now…
 
Images of her brother began to run through her mind as if she was watching a movie. She wasn't going to be able to go back to her life. Not at all. Because her brother was her life. And now he was gone. What was she suppose to do now?
 
Funeral arrangements, she thought. Now that the case was over, she would be able to bury Souta…her eyes began to water. This wasn't right. This couldn't be right. She shouldn't be burying her little brother. She was supposed to go first. He was suppose to have to take care of her with her husband and - hopefully - kids 50-60 years from now. She was supposed to go first…She put her hand over her eyes, trying to hold it back.
 
“Kagome?” Inuyasha didn't like what he was seeing. He just told her the murderer of her brother was dead and now she was crying? Did she not want Koga dead? “Kagome? What's wrong?”
 
Kagome gasped, failing at her attempts to keep the tears from falling. She took her hand away from her face and started playing with the end of her blanket. “It's over. I can bury Souta now…”
 
Inuyasha's expression fell solemn. He had completely forgotten about that. “Kagome…I'm sorry…” he didn't exactly know what to say.
 
She shook her head, telling him that there was no need to apologize; but she became still, lost in thought a moment later. “It wasn't supposed to happen like this.” She looked up at him and looked down once more. “I realize that he's gone…and that he's not coming back. I understand that but…I still can't…it wasn't…I was suppose to go first.” She was having a hard time getting the words out. “Fifteen, Inuyasha…he was fifteen. He was supposed to graduate and become a famous director like he always wanted to do.” She laughed half-heartedly as she remembered how he always had his camera out; trying to get anything she might've done embarrassing on tape. But the laughed only lasted a second. “I'm not supposed to be arranging his funeral.”
 
They stared at each other for a long moment. “Kagome…this wasn't your fault -“
 
“Yes, it was.” She immediately argued.
 
“Kagome you couldn't have possibly -“
 
“Inuyasha, if I had never have gotten involved with Koga Souta would still be alive I wouldn't be in this stupid bed with a gunshot wound.” She tried hard not to snap at him. She didn't know why but she didn't like that he was trying to comfort her by telling her lies. It was her fault. If it wasn't for her Souta would still be here.
 
The beeping began to fasten its pace. “Kagome, you need to relax. It's the only way you're to get any better.” Seeing the expression on his face, she tried to calm down by taking in a deep breath.
 
Big mistake.
 
She winced hard when a sharp pain shot through her side. “Ah, damn.” She had forgotten about that.
 
“Kagome?” Inuyasha immediately became alert.
 
She shook her head, “I'm fine. I just can't forget to not move.” She said in frustration. This was going to be a pain.
 
He chuckled lightly at her expression.
 
Kagome hesitated as a thought ran through head. “Inu…yasha?”
 
“Hm?”
 
“Remember that shoulder you had offered?” She asked. Now that this all almost over she felt like she didn't half to hide so much anymore and right now she didn't think she would be able to handle being alone. Not now.
 
“Yeah,”
 
“Does that offer still stand?”
 
She looked up at him helplessly. She would understand if he didn't want a moping woman around him right now.
 
“Kagome…” He hesitated. She winced at herself. She should've known. “I wouldn't be here if it didn't.”
 
He smiled at her. It made her do the same towards him.
 
Author's Note: Ok, this isn't the last chapter but it's close. One more after this one and then I will see if I should write an epilogue. I was originally writing this thinking that this was the end but it got to the point where the chapter was just going on and on and I figured I could make the ending a little more satisfying if I split it up and tweaked the chapters to sound better. So I hoped you liked this one and I'm already well into the next (and last) chapter of The Unexpected. Oh and sorry if there are a lot of typos again. Like I had said earlier, my life has been up and down, left and right and I haven't had a moment of my own so this is kinda just being thrown out into the open. I didn't just BS this chapter but I am BSing the editing. Sorry. But I feel awful for keeping you guys waiting the way I have been. Thanks for being so patient. I love you guys! My friends aren't even this patient. I can't let them read my stuff anymore because they can get so demanding. Thanks!