InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Beginning of an End ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters in the Inuyasha cast. In this story, Kisa is not the Kisa from Fruits Basket. I'm just using the name. But the story line in this story is all my idea, to anyone who may make or have made any similar stories is by coincidence.
 
Chapter Twenty-Two:
 
Kagome looked in the mirror and frowned. She never liked wearing this dress. It was too black. Too depressing…The last time she had worn it, it was to her mother's funeral a few years ago. Now she was wearing it to her brother's…
 
It was two weeks after the case of her brother's death was closed and she was out of the hospital finally. Everyone wanted her to stay a couple of more days just in case but she wouldn't have it. She had already a spent enough time eating the hospital food and if she continued any longer she wasn't going to survive. Not to mention her injury was healing exceptionally fast. Yes, it still hurt if she wasn't careful and it did leave a scar but as long as she didn't over do herself she'd be fine.
 
There was a knock on the front door. She tried not to rush to the door but she knew who it was and she was anxious to see him.
 
Inuyasha.
 
He smiled sadly at her when she opened the door. They were going to the funeral together. Ever since that day in the hospital, they had been inseparable. And they were no longer afraid to admit that they liked each other in front of their friends. Nothing major had happened between the two yet but they did spend nights at each other's place multiple times.
 
Kagome had taken advantage of Inuyasha's offer every since he told her it was still standing. She had cried on his shoulder more than once in the past to weeks and he had cheered her up by telling her embarrassing stories of Miroku and Sesshomaru as well. They had gotten much closer in such a short time that it seemed like they knew each other like the back of their hands. And they had agreed that nothing was going to happen until everything was behind them. It was difficult for the both of them.
 
Now that Koga was gone, there was time for mourning. Sometimes Kagome wished that she had such a distraction to keep Souta from her mind as often as he had been. She was in his bedroom everyday now. She still hadn't begun to pack up his stuff. Yes, he was gone and had no use for it all now but, to Kagome, it was still his room. His stuff. It felt wrong; like she was kicking him out of the apartment.
 
Setting everything up for the funeral was the hardest Kagome had ever done in her entire life. But something was telling her that packing up Souta's things was going to be even worse. She wasn't ready for that yet. She wasn't strong enough. She was getting a little closer each day but only little by little.
 
“Hey,” her voice was faint. She would've been ecstatic to see him if it weren't for the reason he was picking her up.
 
“Hey,” Inuyasha kissed her. “You ready to go?” His voice was still faint…sad. He didn't like having to do this either. Funerals were never something he was ever good at. But then again, who was?
 
“Yeah,” Kagome grabbed her coat and they left the apartment.
 
Almost Souta's entire school had shown up to his funeral; teachers, students, friends, everyone -- even some people that Kagome had never seen in her life. The media had gotten a hold of the entire story not long after that day in the warehouse so now there were memorials for the fifteen year old boy. Many were right there supporting Kagome, not because they had known Souta or her, but because they knew the littlest gesture would help right now.
 
The entire church held the different shades of black and soft whispers, along with the coffin holding the said boy.
 
When Inuyasha and Kagome arrived neither of them had realized just how loved the he was. Kagome recognized that all of his teachers had made it along with his friends, classmates…The sight wanted to tear her apart. Many of the boys were trying hard to hold back the wave of emotion swallowing them. Some weren't even trying as their faces dampened. Many girls were whimpering as well.
 
“Kagome?” The said girl turned to see a group of boys with the show of utmost respect for her and their friend. “Are you Kagome?”
 
She nodded, “Yes, and you are?” Her voice was kind.
 
“Were the football team of Souta's school. He was a good friend of us all, Miss.”
 
Another spoke, “We just wanted to let you know that he helped us all out in more ways than one and that he will not be forgotten.”
 
A taller one added something, “One other thing, Miss. Kagome,” He hesitated, “We and a few other of the teams here are holding a memorial on Friday in respect for Souta. We would like it if you came.”
 
Kagome quickly wiped a tear from her face. “Yes, thank you. I'll be there. You can count on it. I really appreciate you all coming.”
 
They bowed slightly and left to comfort their girlfriends and other buddies.
 
“Wow…” Inuyasha began, “I never realized…”
 
“I know.”
 
For the past hour or so Kagome wondered around the room, greeting and thanking those who came. Trying hard not to break down when ever someone told her that Souta would be missed by so many.
 
“Kagome,” Kisa called faintly, her face tear stained.
 
“Hi Kisa,” she smiled at her with gratitude. “I'm so sorry we haven't talked. It was rude of me -“
 
Kisa shook her head, “No, understand. I wasn't in a very talkative mood for the past few weeks either…”
It was silent between them for a moment.
 
“I miss him…” Kisa finally said, fresh tears streaking down her face. “It hurts, Kagome. It physically hurts.”
 
Kagome sat next to her wrapping her arms around her. “I know, Kisa. Believe me, I know.”
 
“I was looking at our pictures from when we had last gone to the mall last night…” she fought the shudder in her breath. “I'm never going to find someone like him. I loved him, Kagome. I really loved him.”
 
“He loved you, too, honey. It was easy to see that you were his world.” Kagome silently cried as she listened to this. Suddenly a hand held out a few tissues in front of them. Kagome looked up to see Bankotsu. The small girl took them but Kagome ignored them completely. Instead she engulfed him in a hug. “Oh Bankotsu, I'm so sorry. I haven't seen you in such long time I -“
 
“Don't worry about it. I know.”
 
She held him tighter. He returned it. “I miss him too, Kags.”
 
Once she had let go of him he gave her the same mourning smile everybody was wearing.
 
“Kagome?” Kagome recognized the woman as one of Souta's teacher's and turned away from Bankotsu, hesitantly.
 
“Mrs. Kaede. Hi.”
 
“Hello child. How are you feeling?”
 
“Oh… you know…” Kagome didn't know how to answer her.
 
“You know Souta spoke very highly of you.” She brought up. “He looked up to you. It was beyond obvious. He would want you to know that, dear.”
 
Kagome nodded, “Thank you.”
 
“He was a much loved boy. Almost everyone in my classes was a friend of his. And you two had only been there for so long by then.” She smiled. “He helped many of the boys and girls in sports bring their grades up and even helped others with much more serious problems. I know that, I, personally will not ever forget that boy.”
 
It went on like this until the minister began his sermon. Many cried and others just looked up at the minister with too straight of faces. Others didn't even seem to be listening. Including Kagome. She was too busy looking at the coffin; absolutely covered in flowers and various little things that many had placed there that obviously meant something to the friends of the boy. They all surrounded the various pictures of him. Some were of him when they were on summer vacation on the beach. Others were of him messing around with his camera. One was of him, kissing Kisa on her cheek obviously proud to have her as the love of his life. One was of him and Kagome playing with their old cat that had died just few years prior, Buyo; funny faces plastered to the two siblings. Some were of him and various friends at football games or at study groups; goofing off when they were supposed to be studying.
 
They all surrounded his latest school spring picture; one of his best. He was smiling brightly looking relaxed and happy just like he always was.
 
The upper half of the large box was open to reveal a pale and peaceful young boy that everybody mourned over.
 
When it was time, Kagome got up to speak. Trying to keep her eyes off Souta. She looked over the large group of people before she started. “I don't…really know how to start. Um, I know that this has been hard for most, if not, all of you and I greatly appreciate your support…I think we all know that Souta was not your average teenage boy. Although he still left his room dirty and had a little too much fun waking me up at 6 in the morning on Saturdays like any little brother would, he was there for me…and for anyone else who needed him.” She looked down at her hands before raising her chin again. “We had lost our mother a few years prior to this and…we were on our own. I had decided to raise him, too make sure he still had the normal high school career that all kids should have. And we did have a hard time. There had been a few times when I had wondered if he would've been just been better off with another family…but he had always been there for me. Patient, supportive, and always understanding…and he always told me that he would miss me too much if he ever left. Not to mention that he would no longer have anyone to annoy.” She laughed quietly at herself as she remembered certain moments. It made some smile.
 
“Before today I had never fully realized just how loved he was. It's easy to see, now -- with all of you here - that he was greatly appreciated. In more ways than I believe we'll understand. I know that he would've been touched to see everyone. I also know that he wouldn't want you to mourn for him. He never liked it when people moped. He was always telling me that…” the next thing she said made it hard for her to keep her composition. “We only live once and that we shouldn't waste it dwelling on things that we don't have control over…”
 
~*~
 
The church slowly emptied as the sun began to touch the horizon. Nobody wanted to leave. Nobody wanted to officially say goodbye to the boy.
 
“Hey, bud.” Miroku said softly as he approached Inuyasha. They haven't really talked much since Kagome had gotten out of the hospital and this was the first time they had all been together. Inuyasha never took his eyes off Kagome; standing in front of the wooden box holding her brother. “How is she holding up?”
 
It took a moment to answer. “Take a look for yourself.” They watched her quietly. “She hasn't packed up his stuff yet…”
 
Miroku knew how she felt. “Yeah…my mom was the same way when dad died…”
 
Inuyasha thought for a moment. “You know…the case is closed. Souta's murderer is dead…but…it still doesn't feel right; like we haven't done him justice.”
 
“I know. Even I feel the same way. We all do. Sango's been depressed for her right now. Rin's been the same way according to Sess…”
 
He didn't say anything. Inuyasha wanted to go to Kagome but, right now, she just needed some time alone with her brother…
 
~*~
 
Kagome ran her fingers against the wood; brushing them up against the gorgeous flowers covering the majority of the coffin. “Hey, kiddo.” She whispered, finally looking at her pale, motionless brother. “How ya doing?” For the hundredth time today, tears swelled up in her eyes. “You know…I thought I had told you to clean your room…” she smiled as she remembered the last time she told him to do so. It didn't last long. She didn't really know why she was talking to him. It wasn't like he was going to respond back. She knew that. And she knew that it was silly but…part of her was hoping for a miracle and that he would suddenly open his eyes and start laughing. “How's mom doing? And gramps?” That made her laugh to herself.
 
The image was all too clear in her mind: Souta, sitting there -on a cloud, she liked to imagine -- with a bored expression on his face…listening to their grandfather go on and on about the old legends of the feudal era…
 
“Have fun…” she teased. He would've glared at her if he heard that.
 
But then her entire face dropped and she fell completely serious and hurt. “I miss you, bud…I really, really, miss you.” Her voice cracked in a whisper as she said this. “And so does everybody here…Kisa's been having a hard time…I know that you wouldn't want us crying over you but…it's going to take some time so cut us some slack.” She liked to think that he was still there with her; listening to her every word. She turned around to look around at everyone. She saw Inuyasha talking with Miroku. She turned back to her brother. “And uh…it seems that I finally have a life outside of work…Inuyasha's been there for me through this all. You would've liked him. He's a lot like you once you get past his stubbornness.” She remembered how Souta had been always telling her how stubborn she was. “He's a perfect match for me, huh?”
 
She didn't say anything for a while as she looked at all the tokens the people there had placed around him. She looked at her watch. It was getting late…they were going to need to get him to the cemetery soon. Her next words were a whisper again, “I love you, Souta…” She sniffled, “Now, you better take good care of mom and gramps until I get up there…” Tears fell. “I love you, bud. That isn't going to change with time. You're not something that can be forgotten.”
 
“Kagome?”
 
The said woman turned to see the source of the voice. When she recognized him she was surprised to see how she wasn't angry. “What are you doing here?” She wiped the tears under her eyes.
 
He frowned. “I wanted to pay my respects to my son, Kagome.”
 
Kagome didn't know what to say to that. If she was angry she would've said something like, “He was never your son” or “You don't have any right to be here” but she didn't have the heart to say any of it. Not here, not even to him.
 
“You didn't give me a chance to explain myself…can we talk?”
 
After a moment of hesitation she nodded. For Souta, mostly. Everything was for Souta today. He never held anything against his father. And he wouldn't want Kagome to just shut him away because of how she felt about the man. She had only recently learned that she could easily be wrong about someone. Why ignore it?
 
Hesitantly, she followed him out of the church. Inuyasha watched their every step.
 
Were they going to patch things up?
 
Once the doors were shut, it became silent. Only the sound of cars passing filled the air. Her father didn't know how to begin.
 
Kagome became impatient. She wanted to get back Inuyasha. “Dad, whatever it is you have to say, please just spit it out. I don't have time for this.”
 
He finally looked at her. But he didn't seem to be looking at his 21 year old daughter. He was going back before everything became so complicated. “I remember when you always insisted on doing something together.” His smile didn't reach his eyes. “You either wanted to read, or ride you're bike, or come to work with me…”
 
For the first time Kagome really looked at him. She couldn't deny. She looked a lot like him. Her eyes, skin…if it wasn't for the few grays beginning to appear their hair would be identical too. He looked like he hadn't had a very good night's sleep in a while. With the way he held himself, it seemed obvious.
 
“And you're calling me dad…after the station I figured you had a few other names in mind.” He tried hard not to sound too affected. He wasn't succeeding.
 
“Souta wouldn't have wanted me to use them.” Kagome's voice suddenly became stern as she realized that she had just called him dad.
 
His hopeless smile left his face at this, “I'm sorry, Kagome.” He sounded truly sincere. “I know that it isn't going to solve to anything but, for now, it seems that it's all you'll let me do. I made a mistake, leaving you kids.” He watched his daughter intently. “And I didn't just forget about you two. I didn't just start over and pretend that I didn't have a family before this.” Kagome remained silent as he struggled with his words. “I still have that picture of you and Souta when he was still a baby. That one of you holding him for the first time…” He desperately tried to convince her that what he was saying wasn't an act.
 
“If that were true then you could've, at least, sent us a card or called us on our birthdays.” His expression was solemn as he listened to her. “Three weeks ago was the first I had heard from you in eight years. Do you have any idea how much you've missed? How badly you had screwed us up?” She was referring to her and Souta. “Because you left, and because mom died I had to haul Souta around like he was a box of junk all over Japan. There have been times where I thought I was going to lose him to a foster home because it was almost impossible to put food on the table.” She had to breathe for a moment as the many nights of stress and worry came to her. “I know that you could've easily come to see us. It wasn't like you couldn't afford it. It would've been nice if you, somehow, told us that we had step-mother too.”
 
He seemed surprised to hear that she knew of his second wife.
 
“Being a cop has its advantages.” Kagome knew what he was thinking.
 
He let this register for moment. “I wasn't surprised when I found out that you had stuck to that dream of yours to become a detective.” Kagome shifted her weight to the other foot. She wasn't sure why but she didn't feel all that comfortable discussing that. The day she had first decided that she was going to be a cop felt like an eternity ago. “You always stuck to something until you got it. That was for sure.” Her father wasn't looking at her now, but off into the sun set. “By the time I had been able to really think straight from all of the changes of not waking up to you and Souta, I was afraid that you wouldn't want to see or hear from me. That it was too late.” When he looked at her again it looked like he was trying not to cry. Although his eyes were dry. “You're mother and I were having problems and, back then, I wasn't mature enough to handle them right…we didn't want you to know.”
 
Kagome's face had softened by then. She never thought of it that way. That he thought that it was because she didn't want him to call. Back when she was younger she always made everyone believe that she never wanted anything to do with him but, deep down, somewhere hidden…she hoped that she would, one day, hear from him.
 
“I didn't plan on ever coming to see you for that reason. I was too afraid that you would do and say exactly what you did say and do at the station…although; I'm not saying I didn't deserve it.” That made Kagome wince. She was suddenly feeling guilty for it. Great. “But when I heard about Souta…Kagome, that wasn't something I was about to ignore.
 
When I he looked at her she simply nodded. She understood. She would've done the same thing if she was in the same position. Not that she would ever put herself in that position.
 
“I'm sorry…” he suddenly said again. “I just…I just hope you know that I have so many regrets…leaving you. I've missed you and, even though I wasn't there, it's nice to know that you've grown into a daughter any parent could be proud of.”
 
Kagome's eyes went wide for a moment. She wasn't expecting that. “What?”
 
“I know it probably doesn't mean much to you but…I'm proud of you. Extremely proud. And, from what I see in there, Souta was the perfect boy…I wish I could've been with you guys.”
 
“He was…” Kagome decided to lighten up just a little. Or, at least, what she could do at the moment. “You know…he never got over his camera obsession like you had predicted.”
 
Her father paused before responding. “Oh? Was he still making those home videos of his?”
 
Kagome smiled, halfheartedly, “I have all three boxes of them.”
 
“Wow.” He appreciated what she trying to do. Surprised but appreciated, nonetheless. But he had to get this all behind them. He had already lost his son permanently. He couldn't let that happen with his daughter. “Kagome…I know that it would take some time but…I want to make this right. I want you to be able to have a father again. If you would just give me the chance…”
 
Surprisingly, Kagome didn't have to think about it. She didn't realize until now that that same feeling she had had when she was younger was still there. “Ok,” but her voice was just a whisper.
 
He smiled at her as the sun painted orange and yellow on his face. “Thank you.”
 
Author's Note: That's it! It's over. I'm kinda sad to see it go. But you have to tell me if I should write an epilogue. So be sure to email me or review and let me know. Because you won't know for certain if the story is done, let me just tell you that if No is Not Answer suddenly shows up, that means The Unexpected is over and I will not be writing anymore for the story. So me know if I'm done or not!