InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unbreak My Heart ❯ The Claim ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and all related characters belong to Rumiko Takahashi… *

note
: rated PG-13, R in future chapters for adult situations and suggestive sexual content (lemon/lime/fluff) Please respect this rating and read on with caution.

Warning: Small amounts of Lime (PG-13 rated).

Special thanks goes to my beta reader Lynda!! *



by: Angelstars*
email: angtanuk@yahoo.co.uk
beta reader: nekochan (614) *

----

Unbreak My Heart

5.5 - The Claim

--Last Chapter…

Inuyasha sat quietly taking in what Sango had just said, in some ways along the same lines of what he had been thinking of earlier that day. He was confused and angry with both of them, but at the same time his demon instincts where yanking him down making them twist and pull in both directions. Kagome pulling on one string while the small kitsune cub pulled on the other, and now they both united as one and pulled together and Inuyasha's string snapped. Sango had no idea how he was feeling yet she just reminded him what he already knew…his family needed him, and right now all of them where hurting and it was a due to one person.

Me, he thought with another inward sigh. Shippo was right this is my entire fault…

He wanted to put things right again and bring his family back together. Firstly he would get the brat back on his side, then the hard bit would be to apologise to Kagome…but he was determined to fix things.

--Continuation…

*The minds eye, to see with your heart not with thy eyes, but look to the soul for there you will find the key
…*

Kaede's thoughts continued to repeat in her mind… (ever since Kagome's sudden shift of power she had become restless). The older Miko could not sleep and had gone off food for over a week. She had become aware of the change the night Kagome had returned from her time-she remembered the night clearly.

*Flashback*

Kaede had finished her nightly ritual when she felt a shift in the air causing her to shudder.

Her prayer beads hung from around her hand and twisted around her middle finger as she kneeled at a small shrine alter that had been built to hold her older sister, Lady Kikyo.

Kikyo's bones now rested in peace and Kaede prayed and protected the grave nightly since Inuyasha and Kagome had laid her to rest once more.

She felt a chill crawl up her spine when the air above the shrine darkened and the moon disappeared under a looming cloud of thunder and lightning. Removing herself from the shrine the priestess took to the night looking up at the sky following the rain clouds as they churned under the moons light.

Her eye skimmed along the fallen trees at the edge of Inuyasha's forest following the path of broken bushes and signs of roughage within the overgrowth. Once again her eye set its sights this time on a lone figure. All too soon the quiet of the night was interrupted as the figure let loose a shrilling scream that echoed all around the cavern it kneeled in. Sparks of lightning surrounded the being, twisting and engulfing within its body pulling dark mist into the depths of dip.

"Shit! Kagome? Kagome?!"

The voice of the hanyou called out before coming into view. Kaede watched Inuyasha rush to her side but his path was blocked as an extremely powerful miko shield that banished him from getting any closer to the fallen Miko. The older miko's eye widened when Inuyasha got flung back, hitting the ground with a sickening thud before jumping to his feet and fighting the miko energy furiously. She looked on in amazement captivated by the hanyou's desire to reach out and touch the girl's shoulder. He succeeded, but with a price.

She could do nothing but watch as the hanyou's soul left his body and wrapped itself around the young woman's body instantly calming the darkness that whirled around them both. However, it did not return to his own body, instead it fused within her and with a bright flash of light it suddenly went dark.

Kaede covered her face protectively as the light faded into darkness she skimmed the area once more for signs of life of that of the hanyou and young miko.

The cavern contained nothing but tarnished grass and trenched slightly where two bodies had fallen, but Kagome and Inuyasha were nowhere in sight.

Disappeared. Was her last thought as she turned to retreat back to the village.

*end flashback*

Sighing she continued grinding a batch of herbal medication. Still her mindful thoughts redeemed themselves on what she already knew.

Time was most precious and her time only grew shorter.

The time has come...

--

Kagome paced her bedroom floor anxiously. Her mother had received a phone call from the council; they had requested her audience earlier that afternoon - (and upon hearing her mothers voice Kagome's stomach had not been able to settle). It was going to one of those days…her grandfather had pulled yet another childish tantrum and locked himself up in a corner of the shrine, threatening never to leave in protest. Souta was sulking in his room and she was near making herself sick with worry.

She sighed and stopped pacing to take a rest from the giddiness she felt churn inside of her. 'I really have to get my head together!' She thought inwardly in attempt to calm the nausea. With another soft sigh she gathered her fully packed backpack from the floor giving it the once over, this would be her final trip through the well; if this was the news she and her family had been expecting.

Kagome knew this time would come. She tried her best to help convince the council that the shrine had sacred roots and deemed a second chance. Her efforts had supposedly been noted, Kagome's eyes rolled back in annoyance. Why would they not they listen to her? She knew it was a long shot but they were talking about destroying her only path to Inuyasha…and her friends.

Her eyes soon found comfort in her reflection as she sat in front of her dresser, unconsciously her hand moved up to pass over the small mark that had appeared the day before. Her fingers gingerly brushed over the red and purple looking rash, it was not stinging or making her feel discomfort-it almost felt warm and tingly and when she passed her fingers over it; it would soothingly pulse as if it was beating like a heart. Kagome felt the heat stir under her fingers when her eyes suddenly glazed over, draining of all its colour…

**Flashback**

Soft lips caressed her skin trailing from her jaw, down her chin finally reaching her neck. Warmth surrounded her as she trembled, anxiously awaiting yet more sensual touches.

His soothing words echoed around her, as his warm lips trailed along her neckline. Her hair was gently pushed to one side, her eyes now opening to gaze up at her lover.

Golden with desire. He smiled and ran his fingers through her hair while the other stroked her arm.

She watched as his face moved toward hers, tips of noses touched. His gentle words were calming to her ears and made her heart skip a beat.

She closed her eyes before moaning when he started to move his lips lower reaching the small of her neck. She shivered at his touch and closed her eyes, allowing him to suck harder off her neck.

She gasped when sharp fangs nipped her skin-sending a warm pulsing sensation from head to toe…

**

Her eyes grew wide as she pulled her hand away from the mark. Breathing heavily she blinked with confusion before bringing herself around from the intense memory.

"I-Inuyasha…" She whispered bringing her hand up to her heart, "he did this?"

Kagome's eyes widened with realisation, her thoughts focusing mainly on the small parts of forgotten memories.

Inuyasha arguing with her, the hurt, the focused Miko energy, the kiss they shared… and the aftermath of that kiss.

'Does Inuyasha remember? If so, why would he push me away? Didn't he feel the same way? Did he think it was all a mistake?' Her perplexed thoughts threw her over the edge and soon she found herself sobbing slightly.

'Why am I getting so upset over him?! He's an idiot. Violent, selfish, always pissed off…' She attempted to console herself while wiping away stray tears and putting on a brave face, but no matter how many times she tried to reason herself short of his commitment toward her-she failed miserably...

`He does protect me with his life, he's always at my side, he would never leave me or let any harm come to me, he cares for me in his own way'. She sighed before leaning into her hand, `he's extremely jealous…gorgeous, strong…domineering'

"Kagome?" An uncharacteristically male voice spoke from behind her pulling her out of her dream-like thoughts.

--

Inuyasha had not slept at all that night; he found shelter in his usual branch to think. Not that it helped any, he mostly argued with himself - his pride getting the better of him while his conscience bereted him for his out burst and behaviour the day before (Déjà vu). Miroku had checked up on him that morning and left him some fresh vegetables with long grain rice at the root of the god tree, but Inuyasha did not even attempt to leave his brooding place…

The silence from the forest had not made it easy, he could hear his thoughts clearly and it was getting to him. As if answering his silent plea, his ears soon began to twitch upon hearing the sound of small footsteps. Inuyasha lowered his eyes and peered through the leaves of the branches when his nose picked up on the familiar scent of the kitsune cub.

"I-Inuyasha?" came the hesitant young voice as he appeared into Inuyasha's line of sight.


Keeping his cool proudly at the arrival of the kit, "Aa, what is it?" He replied, trying his best not to be so abrupt.

There was a sound of leaves brushing together followed by the feel of small vibrations at the lower end of the tree before a pair of solemn eyes peered up through a branch in front of the proud hanyou.

Inuyasha watched the kit through the corner of his eye; Shippo was fumbling about with his paws his eyes downcast slightly, looking as though he was contemplating something.

"Well?" Inuyasha growled slightly, instantly regretting it when the fox-youkai jumped at the tone.

"I'm sorry…Inuyasha" he quietly but quickly apologised.

Inuyasha's eyebrow rose as he eyed up the kitsune suspiciously. "You're saying you're sorry?" he asked, leaning down and over the skittish cub.

Shippo lowered his head and nodded, "Inuyasha, I didn't mean what I said…I was angry and hurt."

Inuyasha rubbed his temple and shook his head slightly, "You said sorry?" he repeated.

Shippo jerked his head up, keeping his eye contact on the confused hanyou. "Yes…why is that so hard to believe?" The cub retorted, narrowing his small eyes in annoyance.

Inyasha's smile curled at his lips baring one fang as his head lowered down to meet the kitsune's narrowed eyes. "You've never apologised before, brat! What gives?" he growled slightly.

Shippo stuck his nose in the air and held his head up high, bringing his arms over his chest mimicking the hanyou's proud pose. "Nothing gives, Inuyasha! I'm not that much of a selfish ass-that allows his massive pride to get in the way of saying you're sorry-after saying the wrong things to someone you care for!" he emphasised before widening his eyes. "… Not that I care for you or anything!" he quickly added, rolling up into a small ball waiting for the hanyou to lash out at him.

1, 2, 3…

Nothing…

Shippo slowly opened one of his clenched eyes and peeped up at Inuyasha curiously. Inuyasha was just staring at him, his face lacking of any particular give away as to what he was feeling after that comment.

Gulping, Shippo freed himself from his tightened curl and moved closer to the disturbingly calm hanyou in front of him.

"Inuyasha?" he daringly asked, moving inches toward him.

Inuyasha did not flinch or reply as the small kit reached out with a shaky hand and lightly tapped the hanyou on the shoulder. Without any indication of force from the kitsune Inuyasha swayed slightly, causing the fox to jump out of the way when the hanyou actually began to fall from the branch he was perched upon.

Shippo watched with widened eyes as Inuyasha descended toward the ground and hit it with a loud thump causing the cub to cringe slightly.

"I guess he was in shock," he mumbled to himself before hopping down from the tree to land on Inuyasha's back. "Inuyasha, are you alright?" he asked the grounded hanyou below him.

Moaning in reply, Inuyasha mumbled something about "Feeling like shit" before getting up from the ground and pushing the cub off his back.

"You little bastard! You did that on purpose!" he growled under his breath shading his eyes under the bangs of his hair.

"Did what on purpose?!" came the reply.

"You're just a bloody cub, how the hell did you do that?! Come here…" Inuyasha said darkly baring a fang menacingly.

"Wha…??" he squeaked, backing up from the Inu-youkai in front of him.

"I said come here…" he repeated, swiping his claws out at the kitsune.

Shippo screeched and took off into the forest crying out for Sango and Miroku to save him from the demented hanyou.

Inuyasha stood his ground and sighed. He was not in any mood to play chase today, the kit had done enough to him already.

'Damnit!' he growled inwardly, taking off in the direction of the well. `How'd he make it look so fucking easy to do?!'

(Of course that meant why couldn't he apologise as easy as that when he knew he were in the wrong?)

--


Inuyasha neared the well at top speed, he had to apologise to Kagome, their time together for the last week had been spent tearing each others throats out - She was leaving him soon and he did not want to leave their relationship in bad terms.

Just as he was about to jump into the well Kaede called out to him beckoning him toward her.

Grumbling about how her timing sucked, he did as he was told. "What is it now, baba?"

"Inuyasha, bring Kagome back. I have to speak to her…" The old miko said ignoring the hanyou's rudeness and tone.

Inuyasha said nothing but nodded knowingly…

As he made it to the other side he was greeted by the sweet smell of Kagome, but it also seemed to faintly be off. Different almost.

Tears

"Stupid girl! She's crying again."

'Because of you no doubt!'

"Shut up!" He growled, hopping out of the well and toward Kagome's window.

As he reached up to slide the window to enter her room, the salty taste intensified sending his senses in to a frenzy of guilt and worry. He cringed upon hearing her sob, she obviously had no clue he was right behind her.

"Kagome?" he quietly called for her. She seemed to be a little jumpy when she turned to meet his gaze.

"Inuyasha…" She paused before continuing, "Inuyasha, what are you doing here?" she managed to ask, unconsciously lowering her head to the side in order to cover the mark on her neck.

Inuyasha looked at her oddly eyeing her every move. He did not sense any kind of hostility in the air and she had not shouted at him (which was a good thing) yet…

"Umm, are you alright, Kagome?" he asked, mimicking her head movements to the side so his eyes stayed in contact with her own.

Kagome nodded and blushed slightly. Inuyasha noticed the blush instantly and grew suspicious. "Then what's with this?" he asked, indicating to her strange position.

"Oh!" She smiled nervously pointing at her neck and head, "I-I didn't sleep to well and I think I umm pulled a muscle or something." She quickly made up silently praying he would take the bait and ask no more questions.

"Then you're not alright." He snorted crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at her sternly.

'There goes wishful thinking…' "Its nothing, Inuyasha. Honestly." She reassured him.

Grunting with his usual "Keh!" He stomped up to her, closing the gap between them so he could get a better look at her supposed discomfort.

Kagome took a small back step when he got a little `up to close and personal' and invaded her space.

"Inuyasha, I said it was fine!"

"Let me look at it wench!" came his reply as he reached out to grab her toward him.

His hand clenched over her shaky arm when he froze.

His first reaction was to run. He had no idea why, but his legs would not move like his brain had stopped functioning. He cursed inwardly. His second thoughts were `What the fuck?' and then came the How, when, and why? questions.

How the hell did this happen?

When the hell did this happen?

Why the hell didn't I notice this earlier!?

His nose twitched once again just to make sure he was not wrong about what he smelt. It did not lie. He had picked up on her sent intensely when he neared her, but his brain seemed to shut down, and he could not even move let alone say a damn word!

Shit. His mind swore as his hold upon her arm tightened in a lame attempt of reassurance on both their parts.

Kagome awkwardly looked up at his golden eyes, which were out of focus and widened. `Oh gods, he knows…' her heart leaped out of her chest when she felt his hand around her arm tighten. She could not hide the mark on her neck any longer there was little or no point now. Taking in a small breath she slowly lifted her head keeping her eyes upon the hanyou in front of her.

Inuyasha watched her as she moved her head from its position revealing the last piece of evidence to prove he was not dreaming the whole thing up.

He let go of her arm and unconsciously stepped back from her.

`Gods what have… I done?!'

"Kagome…"

--

a/n: Oh now this is where the truth finally comes out - more plot twists on the way peeps, and what does this have to do with Kaede? Will the well be sealed forever? Or will an unknown `family' member save the Higurashi shrine?

Once again I'd like to say a BIG Thank You to all my reviewers! You've kept me inspired to keep up with this fic…I personally found it hard to write this chapter, I don't like it that much - (`cept when Shippo accidentally pushes Inuyasha out of the tree)

-For those who wish to know of the full unedited NC-17 version of this fic - I have it in parts I can put it all together and send it on to you via email, but I am planning on uploading it on to MediaMiner sometime soon. Let me know if you're interested…

Small Plug - For all those who love AMV's (Animé Music Video's) I have loads, but this happens to be one of my all time favs - Kagome's Sorrow by Lovable Neko Kyou a tribute to Inuyasha and Kagome - taken from Inuyasha: Affections Touching Across Time (The Movie) *spoilers ahead for all who haven't seen the movie!*

Download it here: www.geocities.com/musicvideos133/