Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Here I Am ❯ Gone ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Here I Am

Chapter Eleven - Gone

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - Don't own MKR or its characters. No profit is being made, only borrowing them for my own amusement.

Author's Notes - Heh. Another chapter. I'm not sure if anyone reads my author notes, but I'm sure I scared a few people away with the last one, lol. *Shrugs* I plan I continuing, even if no one likes it. Anyway, R&R, and I'm sorry it took so long for me to upload this chapter…mediaminer.org wasn't working for me.

Warnings/Pairings - Rated PG, though I may up the rating later on. Pairings of Umi/Clef, Fuu/Ferio, and Hikaru/Lantis/Eagle.

Summary - Umi wishes to return to Cephiro, and on a cold lonely night she gets sent back. However, things aren't what they seem, for a new evil is lurking not far away, and it has plans for Umi.

----------

The room was loud with voices as everyone whispered and talked. After Hikaru had arrived and everyone had welcomed her back, they had all returned to their seats at the table, and a chair had been drawn next to Fuu for Hikaru to sit down. She sat there now, grinning widely at her old friends as she answered their questions.

Fuu sat next to her, keeping a close eye on her friend as she talked animatedly to Presea, who had asked her about college. She seemed so happy to be back, and Fuu was hesitant to tell her the bad news.

"Umi's here." She slipped suddenly, and Hikaru stopped talking to look at her.

"Umi?" She blinked and then smiled, "So this is where she went!"

Fuu didn't smile in return, nor did anyone speak, and Hikaru's smile faded. "Where is she? She's not here.."

"I'm afraid there's been an accident," Clef spoke up, and Hikaru looked at him, her eyes wide.

"An accident?" She breathed.

"Unlike you and Fuu, it seems Umi chose the old way of arriving," He informed her, looking down, "She fell from the sky, and nobody was there to save her."

Hikaru rose to her feet now, her hands clenching the tablecloth. "But she's okay…right?"

Lantis, who had been sitting next to her, put a hand on her shoulder. "Sit, Hikaru. She's fine."

Hikaru obeyed, but kept her eyes on Clef.

He nodded. "She's still unconscious, but she'll be okay."

Hikaru sighed in relief, looking down at the plate before her. "I'm relieved, but I must go see her!"

"You must eat, Hikaru. Regain your strength." Lantis gave her a small smile, and she blushed, "Umi will be there when you finish."

She nodded, looking away.

"She'll be so happy to see you when she wakes up," Fuu smiled at her, and Hikaru forced her own smile.

"And I'll be happy to see that she's okay."

-----

However powerful the magic that Innova had bestowed upon him, Eagle still couldn't get into the palace walls with it. He had to go in the old way, through the door, which was also the most dangerous way. If he wasn't careful, he'd most certainly be caught.

Getting past the two guards in front were easy. They were busily walking around the outside of the palace, keeping a watchful eye. All he had to do was wait until both of them were out of sight before he made his first move, and he saw his first chance when they headed towards the gardens. With the main entrance unguarded, it had been only easy to sneak in.

Now, standing in one of the elegant hallways, he had yet another problem - where was the Magic Knight of Water staying? He silently cursed himself for not finding out before he had gone ahead and entered the palace.

Peering around a corner, he heard the sounds of talking and laughter, and immediately headed in the opposite direction. The voices were coming from the dining hall, and he most certainly didn't want to end up there. So, as quietly as he could, he headed the other way.

-----

Larfarga was the first to finish his meal, and standing with a bow, he excused himself.

"I must be going, there's much to do." He told them, and he gave Caldina a small smile before he left the room.

Hikaru stood also, having finished her meal. "Can I go see her now?" She asked.

Fuu stood as well, and they were about to leave the table when Clef stopped them.

"Actually, Magic Knights, I would like to speak to you."

Both girls turned to look at him, eyebrows raised in question. Clef and Ferio exchanged glances before he continued, "I have some questions…about what happened and how you got here."

Fuu looked at Hikaru, "Umi's still unconscious, and this may be important…"

The red head nodded. "It can wait. Where do you wish to see us, Clef?"

Clef stood now, and Ferio followed. "My study."

Both Magic Knights nodded, following Clef as he left the dining hall.

-----

Eagle hesitated, looking up at a portrait that hung from the wall. A beautiful girl dressed in white stood smiling out at him, emerald jewels decorating her clothes and head. He studied the picture for a moment, reaching out with one hand as if to touch it. There was something hauntingly familiar about the girl, whomever she was.

It feels like I've seen her before…a long time ago.. He touched the painting, expecting something to happen, but it didn't. He pulled away then, shaking his head. Perhaps it was just his imagination.

The sound of footsteps coming down the hall alerted him that someone was coming, and his gaze was forced away from the portrait. Looking up and down the hall, he decided to hide behind one of the curtains that fell from the many pillars that stood in the hall. He pulled it around himself, peering through a crack as a large man with blonde hair walked past. He sighed in relief as the footsteps died away.

He was about to pull the curtains away when the sound of voices stopped him, and he quickly held his breath as the Prince of Cephiro, the Master Mage, and two Magic Knights passed him. The two men were silent, while the two girls trailed behind whispering to each other.

"What do you think is going on?" The one with the red hair, the Magic Knight of Fire, asked, and Eagle's gaze caught her again. The same sense of familiarity went through him again, and he brushed it off.

"Don't know," The blonde, the Magic Knight of Wind, whispered back.

The whispering continued as they walked, and soon, Eagle couldn't hear their voices anymore. Finally stepping out from behind the curtains, he continued on his way.

She has to be staying in the guest rooms, he thought as he ventured down the hall, and oddly, he knew where the guestrooms were.

-----

They entered the room, which was only small and held a wall full of books and a table in the corner There was a large window near the table that let out into a balcony, and Hikaru made her way over to look out through it.

"I can't believe I'm back," She murmured, staring out at the land.

"That's what we're here to talk about." Said Clef as he closed the door behind him. Both of the girls turned towards him now, waiting for him to speak. However, Ferio was the one to continue.

"You both know the Pillar was destroyed, and the Pillar is what summons the magic Knights to Cephiro." He told them, and they nodded, "So there's no way you can be here, unless something very powerful summoned you back."

Fuu blinked, "But what would be that powerful?" She asked.

"Something evil." Clef shook his head, "And we have no idea what it is."

"Well," Hikaru clenched her hands together and punched the air, "I'm sure we can handle it!"

Fuu ignored Hikaru, and asked, "So it was magic that summoned us back?"

"We think so." Answered Ferio.

"Oh," She nodded, "I thought it was…"

"Was what?"

"Well, I thought it was because I wished to return," She finished, and both men gave her a look that told her to continue, "I mean, I wished to come back to Cephiro, and when I opened my eyes, here I was!"

Hikaru stopped what she was doing, staring at Fuu with wide eyes. "Me too!"

"Clef," Fuu looked up at the Master Mage of Cephiro, "Is it possible that our wishes brought us back?"

Clef looked thoughtful. "It's possible, yes, but only…" He stopped, and everyone was looking at him now, "Only if a powerful spell is done."

"So either way, it's a spell?" Asked Ferio, and Clef nodded.

"A very dark and powerful one." He confirmed, then looked up at the magic Knights, "Whatever it is, it called you here for a purpose. You must be ready. I will have Presea make you weapons."

Both girls nodded, and after a moment of silence, Hikaru finally asked:

"Can I go see Umi now?"

Clef nodded, and a small smile spread over Hikaru's lips. "Thanks."

She made to leave, and Fuu followed after her. "I'll come with you."

Leaving Clef and Ferio behind to talk things over, they made their way down the hall to where Umi was staying, Hikaru almost skipping with joy. She couldn't wait to see Umi - it had been so long!

She was the first to the door, and she opened it with a big grin on her face. "Umi!"

She blinked, staring at the bed, and Fuu grabbed hold of her as her eyes widened.

The bed was empty.

Umi was gone.

To Be Continued…