Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Why Ken Shouldn't Drink Chu-Hi ❯ It's not getting to me ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


"It's not getting to me." Announced Aya, as if somehow by speaking the words aloud would make them truer.

The problem was, things were getting to him. Yohji's stupid smirks and innuendos were starting to get to him. Ken's complete lack of eye contact and constant disappearances were starting to get to him. Even Omi's overly cheerful attempts to ease the tension were getting to him.

And what got him the most, of course, was that he was letting things get to him.

"It's not getting to me." He repeated, more forcefully than before.

Since that morning in the shop, Yohji had perpetually become more unbearable. He decided that playing music in the shop would help attract more customers, and promptly set up a stereo system on which he kept trying to play a looped tape of 'the Beatles greatest love hits.' Aya had always been more or less indifferent to that type of music, until he was forced to learn just how many love songs the Beatles really had. Within three days, he was ready to strangle whoever had invented the musical recording industry.

Yohji had also ventured out to the library and managed to dredge up a collection of the most sickeningly sappy poetry books he could find. He then proceeded to leave copies of badly written love poems scattered about the flower shop, particularly targeting such places as Aya's calendar book, the front desk, or the shop bulletin board. Aya, in response, would shred them upon discovery, but the supply seemed endless. That is, the supply seemed endless when Aya was alone with Yohji. Not a single trace of Yohji's antics seemed to surface when Ken was in the room. Yes, Aya had obviously been singled out for a deliberate attack.

Speaking of Ken... well, Ken was definitely not helping. Ken hadn't made eye contact with him in over a week. In fact, Ken had hardly been findable in over a week. Every time Aya needed assistance, the brunette was preoccupied helping Omi, or would suddenly remember a forgotten soccer meet, or was sick....or....

Normally Ken acting like this wouldn't have phased Aya. But the less he saw of Ken, the more he had to see of Yohji. And Yohji was wearing him down. Aya in fact, blamed nearly the whole scenario on the smirking bastard. Sure, he hadn't been too thrilled to see Ken drunk, but it was a forgivable offense compared to the number of times Yohji had come home trashed. And it was obvious that Yohji's assumptions where the cause of Ken's weird behavior. He could tell Ken was ashamed of getting drunk--he probably assumed Aya was still angry at him for it (which he wasn't)--and then to add all the idiotic things Yohji had announced afterwards, well it was hardly surprising Ken had gone into hiding. Ken was pretty shy to begin with; he must be utterly mortified.

"Idiot." Aya muttered to himself. Can't he figure out I'm not about to believe all that nonsense Yohji's spouting?

You were drunk. I know you didn't mean it.

Aya leaned against the counter and absent-mindedly began to play with a discarded branch. Gods, I hope we don't get a mission anytime soon. Between the four of them, there was hardly enough sanity left to carry out the simplest assignment.

That's right, even Omi had been affected by the situation. Being the alert and compassionate boy he was, Omi had almost immediately picked up that something was amiss. The problem was, he didn't have a clue what was wrong. He had been utterly unsuccessful in all attempts at extracting any information from his older teammates. So Omi dealt with the tension in the only way he knew how. By being cheerful. Omi calculated that if he spread enough sunshine amongst the group, it would inevitably become infectious, and ease some of the stress.

Yes, Omi had notched it up from his regular 'Genki-Omi' mode, to 'Uber-Genki.' Aya had immediately decided that an uber- genki Omi was not a good thing. Omi was now compulsively making cookies, spouting compliments, and offering his help for anything under the sun. He had even taken to leaving little post-it notes around their apartment, with inspirational messages on them. Aya was starting to develop a twitch.

"It's not getting to me." Aya reminded himself.