Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Why Ken Shouldn't Drink Chu-Hi ❯ Through the Looking Glass ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


"Would you like Sugar with that, Sir?"

"No."

"Cream?"

"No."

"Steamed Milk?"

"....."

"No."

"Dulce-de-leche-cream-of-mo cha whipped topping?"

"Black."

"Oh."

The waiter looked rather disappointed as he took down Aya's order. "Anything to go with that? We have some excellent parfait this morning, it's really....."

"Just....coffee."

"Oh."

Five minutes later Aya was presented with his chosen, albeit bland, beverage. He stared at the cup's contents for several minutes before touching the coffee. He didn't really feel like drinking it anymore. Something about the waiter had bothered him....he was too cheerful....it sort of reminded him....of...Ken.

"Dammit" Growled Aya, into his coffee. "What's wrong with me? First I let Yohji get to me, and now I'm thinking about Ken too?! I haven't even seen the guy for over a week! How's he getting to me like this without even being around?!"

Aya subconsciously knew the answer to this, though. It was exactly his lack of presence that was bothering him. Aya suspected that Ken had persuaded Omi to fix the shop schedule so that they never worked corresponding shifts.... He had barely even run into him within the past few days, and whenever he did, Ken made a point of being too busy to even look at him. All he ever received were curt "Good Afternoons," and maybe a slight nod.

Aya had found himself sinking into a worse and worse mood ever since the younger assassin had started to make himself scarce. He'd been blaming it on Yohji...but.... maybe.....

"Stop it, Aya." Aya tried to interrupt his current train of thought before it led somewhere he didn't want it to go. He went back to contemplating his coffee. Usually he drank tea, but there was something comforting about coffee when he felt stressed. It was warm and soothing...and it smelt nice...

Ken drinks a lot of coffee....I wonder if that's where he gets all his energy....

Aya glared at the coffee. I'm doing it again! I need to stop letting my mind wander!

This isn't healthy. I need to get myself focused again. I need to get Ken out of my head. I need to get Yohji's stupid taunting out of my head!

Almost instantly Aya's subconscious did some taunting of it's own. But what if Yohji's NOT messing with you? What if it's TRUE...

Aya suddenly felt very very uneasy. He got up from the table and stormed into the bathroom at the back of the cafe. Once he was securely alone, he turned towards the bathroom mirror and began scrutinizing his reflection. He scowled at the tired looking pale face that met his eyes.

"No. It's not true. Why would anyone like me?"

"Yohji's probably just trying to hurt me."

"I can't let that happen. I'm not letting people hurt me anymore."

Aya decided to visit his sister before going home. He needed to remind himself of what was important. He needed to clear his mind of stupid distractions. He had priorities to focus on.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ken grinned as he rounded up the soccer equipment after practice. He couldn't help it; there was something about the carefree happiness of the kids that always made him feel better. He was really glad he'd kept up soccer, even if it was just as a little league coach. It gave him something to look forward too no matter how bad things got in Weiss.

He pulled the creased note out of his pocket and read it for the fourth time that afternoon. Good luck with your game! Ken smiled again. Omi really knew how to make him feel better. It was nice having a friend that he knew really cared about him. And Yohji was a pretty good friend too... He felt silly for being so depressed lately. He had a bunch of kids that really looked up to him, friends he could count on, soccer...

I think....I think I'm going to be ok. I just needed a reminder of the goods things in my life...If I look at things right, I'm actually pretty lucky...

He was finally starting to feel back to his old, optimistic self. Ken promised himself that things were going to get better. He didn't need Aya to be happy. He could be happy as he was....

Ken was so lost in thought that he hardly realized it when he finally arrived back at the Koneko. He was actually whistling as he walked in the door...but quickly fell silent when he turned around and was faced with an expressionless Aya sitting at the table.

Remember...you're ok. You're going to set things back to the way they where. You're ok. You can look Aya in the face, and it will be OK...

Ken got up the courage to smile. "Uh, Hi Aya...Really nice day out huh?" He laughed nervously.

The look Aya gave him rivaled any which had been bestowed upon a Takatori. It was glacial. Ken's resolve slipped away before he was even aware what had happened. He felt numb.

Aya....

hates me.

He...he...hates me.


Ken steadied himself against the door, desperately needing something to cling to. He had been prepared for Aya to not `like' him...but hate..? No, he couldn't handle that. He couldn't deal with Aya's hatred. Rejection yes...but...not hate....

Without looking at Aya again, Ken swiftly made his way to the staircase. He needed to be alone, and as fast as possible. If he stayed a minute longer, he was going to break down in front of Aya.

Then Aya would just find me more pathetic. Ken thought to himself, bitterly. It'd only give him more reason to hate me....

The bathroom door flew open and Ken leaned over the sink to calm himself. He shakily reached for the faucet, intending to wash the tears off his face....but when he looked up he was distracted by a note tacked to the mirror above.

"You're special!"

Ken snapped.

Now, looking back, Ken realized that Omi was trying to cheer him up. Ken knew that Omi had no idea what was wrong and therefore did not know how his attempt might affect him. Ken even knew that any other day that very same note would have made him smile. But this was not any other day. This was the day Ken realized that Aya hated him. This was the day everything fell apart.

SPECIAL?! If I were special, Aya wouldn't hate me. If I were special I wouldn't feel like THIS!

And, as a result of Ken's wall-punching habit, his fist lashed out at the note before he could stop to think. Unfortunately, through the note also meant through the mirror.

There was a loud crash as the mirror shattered. Ken wasn't quite sure if it was the mirror that broke or him. He looked down at the blood which was beginning to pour down his arm, and went into shock.

Ken promptly sat down on the bathroom floor, and.....began to laugh.

The noise of the mirror breaking got everyone's attention. Instinctively wondering if they were being attacked, all three other members of Weiss frantically dashed upstairs. Yohji and Omi got there first.

"KEN-KUN!!!!" Omi looked positively horrified.

"What the HELL?!" Yohji seemed to be having trouble making sense of the scene before him.

Aya quickly appeared behind them, and shoved them aside so he could evaluate the situation. His eyes fell upon one blood-soaked (and apparently out of his mind) Ken, staring at his very very bloody arm and laughing his head off.

Aya's eyes narrowed as the walked directly over to Ken. He leaned over and grabbing Ken's shirt roughly pulled him to his feet. His arm swung back, only to come forward again as his fist connected with Ken's face.

Ken stopped laughing.