Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected II ❯ Wedding Week ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected II
Chapter 18 - Wedding Week
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
A/N: Great big *HUGS* and thanks to Gracie Musica for helping with the first scene of this chapter. You know I just <3 your Ryo muse, girl!
Beta by Dawn -- *hugs*
 
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++
 
March 5, 2006
 
Ryo was taking out the pans to start breakfast when Dee walked into the kitchen, yawning. Dee went to stand next to Ryo, smiling at him.
 
“Good morning there, sexy,” Ryo greeted with a grin, the night before after they got home still on his mind. Dee was in a frisky mood from the party, and Ryo was willing to oblige Dee. He lightly kissed Dee, then leaned over to kiss the baby swell. “Good morning, Chibi.”
 
Dee smiled wider. “Morning gorgeous.” He pulled Ryo up to give him a proper morning kiss. As they broke apart, Dee yawned again. “Damn, this is one of those mornings I wish I could do coffee.”
 
“Aw, poor baby,” Ryo remarked as he went over to the counter to pour Dee some tea he had waiting. He handed the cup to Dee and gently pushed his fiancé over toward one of the stools at the breakfast bar.
 
Dee sat down, sipping his tea, while glancing up at Ryo. Ryo sat down next to Dee.
 
“Did you enjoy your party last night?” Ryo asked.
 
“Oh very much,” Dee replied with a chuckle. “Even the stork turned out to be something else.”
 
Ryo giggled. “So did you like the stripper?” he asked slyly.
 
Dee had a thoughtful look on his face. “Umm… which stripper would that be?” He laughed. “There were several.”
 
“Martha. The Thai girl,” Ryo replied. “She's a total sweetheart, isn't she?”
 
Dee laughed as he set his tea down on the counter. “Rumor has it that you requested she perform for my party after she did her thing for yours.” He grinned at Ryo. “She's some dancer, huh? Great shot, too.” He laughed.
 
“Yes, she is something else. I had hired her for Eddie's bachelor party in Japan. So he returned the favor and had her flown here for mine.” Ryo chuckled, still amazed at some of the distances some of their guests had traveled just for the occasion.
 
“Oh… she's something else, alright,” Dee remarked and laughed.
 
There was something about Dee's tone, and his amusement that caught Ryo's curiosity. There was more to his soon-to-be husband's comment, and Ryo wanted to know what it was.
 
Ryo cocked his head to the side, looking at Dee in his usual manner when he was confused. “What?” he asked. Dee normally associated the gesture to the Japanese he had met through his life. Oddly Ryo got that particular mannerism from his father's side, Dee had learned after meeting Franklin MacLean. He later found out from Elena that Ryo's dad would do the same thing.
 
Dee's grin was wickedly charming as he crooked his finger. “C'mere. Got a story to tell you.”
 
“Oh? Do tell.” Ryo moved the stool so when he sat, his leg brushed along Dee's.
 
Dee turned so he was facing Ryo. He took one of Ryo's hands in his and squeezed it lovingly. “Turns out I know, well knew, Martha. Very well once.”
 
Ryo cocked an eyebrow, his expression telling Dee to continue.
 
Dee chuckled as he leaned forward to kiss Ryo's cheek. “Sweetheart, you requested an ex-girlfriend of mine to do her specialty dance for my bachelor party.” Dee laughed warmly, smiling at Ryo.
 
Ryo stared back at Dee in shock. He blinked his eyes once, twice, then stared some more.
 
“I was in college,” Dee further supplied.
 
Ryo finally found his voice. “Serious?” he asked.
 
“Very,” Dee replied. “Actually we first met in Thailand.”
 
Ryo was grinning, thinking of the odds, which made him think of how close him and Dee might have been without realizing it back then. “So Thailand first?” he asked.
 
“Yeah. Me and the nutcases who are here this week had gone backpacking across Asia during a school break. We met her in the bar she was working in during our first night in Bangkok.”
 
Ryo seemed to come out of his shock as he continued to smile at Dee. He squeezed the hand holding his to further encourage the other man to tell more.
 
“She became our escort for the next four days that we were in Thailand. And kept my bed warm.”
 
“Damn. I'm jealous,” Ryo remarked.
 
“It gets better.”
 
“So keep talking.”
 
“When she found out we were from the Tokyo area, she told us her family was moving there in a few months. Her father got a promotion to head the Tokyo branch of his company. So we exchanged phone numbers. When she arrived in Japan, she called me. We started to date right then, picking up on where we left off when I was in Thailand. But a few months later, we broke up. We stayed friends, but we lost touch when I graduated and moved back to New York. Then suddenly last night…” Dee shook his head in amazement. “Holy shit!”
 
“Well, that settles it then,” Ryo said. “She has to stay for the wedding.”
 
Dee laughed. “If she wants, and if you don't mind, sure. Why not?”
 
“Why would I mind? She's a friend of both of ours.”
 
“We talked some last night after her dance. She's really happy that it's the two of us together now. In fact, she said I had great taste in husbands.” Dee smiled at Ryo.
 
“Well, you do,” Ryo stated with a wink.
 
“I agree. I know I do.” Dee smiled more as Ryo leaned closer to kiss him.
 
“So Martha comes to the wedding,” Ryo decided. “Besides, I sort of like the idea of planting one on you while your ex is sitting in the audience.”
 
“I got to tell you, when I first saw her enter the bus,” Dee said. “Wow, that was a surprise. Probably better than you were hoping.”
 
Ryo laughed. “I'm glad.”
 
Dee started to laugh. “And JJ… he got up and fled in the bathroom when he saw her, and didn't come out until the music was finished.” He laughed harder at the memory from the night before.
 
Ryo laughed with Dee. “Well, she did get him square in the forehead at my party.”
 
“I heard something about her being a good shot and shooting both snipers.” Dee laughed again.
 
“Yeah. She got my nose.” Ryo tried to pout at Dee.
 
“Aww.” He kissed Ryo's nose. “I'll bet that was one shot you didn't mind, huh?” He chuckled.
 
Ryo grinned. “It was rather entertaining. Her aim's gotten better, if I recall correctly.”
 
“Yes it has!” Dee agreed, laughing. “But she was just starting out back then. When she got to Japan, she first started out doing college parties. Then went on to become her own USO for the troops.”
 
Ryo giggled.
 
“She decided she wanted to date Americans.” Dee shook his head. “Kinda confused me at first, because that was one of the reasons we broke up. But like I said, we stayed friends. Later she explained that while I was there, I embraced the Japanese culture too much, and wasn't American enough for her.”
 
Ryo laughed. “Well, I keep saying you look more Asian than I do.” He shrugged. “Who knows what's in your background.” He grinned mischievously. “Somehow I get this feeling that we might find out more about your mysterious heritage when the baby is born. There might be a trait or two that you don't see in us, but belonged to one of your parents.”
 
Dee nodded. “This baby is making me think of lots of things I never did before. Vince suggested taking a DNA test, only because certain heritages can bring about medical issues that might be a good idea to know about in advance. But I'm not ready to start digging yet. That means possibly finding out more about them. You know as far as I'm concerned, Jess is my dad, and Penguin is my mom. That's why I never bothered to find out anything about my biological parents, even if I have the resources now that they didn't have back when they did the initial investigation after Jess found me.”
 
“I know. Look, Vince suggested it, but did not stress that it's necessary. So, don't do anything you're not comfortable with. We'll deal with what we know. Okay?”
 
Dee smiled at Ryo. “Okay. Thanks.” He ran his fingers through Ryo's hair. “Going back to the topic of exes,” he started.
 
Ryo tilted his head a little, looking up at Dee. “Hm?”
 
“Yuki and I used to be fuck buddies too.”
 
Ryo chuckled. “I figured. In fact, Rick owes me money now.” He winked at Dee. “He was a bit too excited to see you again,” he explained, then kissed Dee's cheek.
 
“It was nothing serious. All for fun,” Dee explained. “He wasn't a great love of my life, but he was one of my best friends during college. He's in a pretty serious relationship himself now, even if they aren't thinking marriage yet.”
 
“It's all right,” Ryo assured Dee.
 
“I think we're going to have some interesting guests at our wedding, wouldn't you say?” Dee commented.
 
“Yeah. Too bad we couldn't track down some of my old lovers.” Ryo grinned teasingly at Dee.
 
“Oh? You still have a week, you know.” He winked at Ryo. “Anyone in particular?”
 
“I just want one lover there,” Ryo replied. “And he's sitting right her.” He kissed Dee again.
 
“Aw baby,” Dee sighed, smiling at Ryo when they broke the kiss. “I love you too.”
 
Ryo kissed Dee's nose. With a grin, he said, “Besides, I'm teasing you. One of my exes from when I was stationed at Zama is here.”
 
“Then invite her too then,” Dee stated. “We do have extra seating for last minute things like this.”
 
Ryo nodded. “I was going to check with you on that, too. Okay, I'll call her and tell her that you're fine with it.” He smiled at Dee. “I'm glad that we're both secure enough to get past silly stuff over exes.”
 
Dee shrugged. “Who we once cared for or loved makes us who we are now. You're marrying me, not her. That's what matters. Besides, Pedro is in the wedding party.”
 
“Pedro is also one of our best friends,” Ryo added. “But I understand what you mean.”
 
With a wicked grin, Dee said, “I think the best part of having a couple of exes around is, the look of surprise when they found out I was pregnant.”
 
“You're such a top. That's why,” Ryo remarked. With a soft smile, he started to rub Dee's tummy.
 
“I'm glad I finally got to find out what I was missing.” He lightly kissed Ryo. “But then, I just needed the right man to make it pleasant.”
 
“It sure was fun making Chibi, wasn't it?” Ryo asked. He leaned over to kiss Dee's stomach.
 
“Yeah, it was fun,” Dee agreed. “You and your sniper sperm.”
 
Ryo grinned at Dee. “Hey, the only complaint you had was when I stopped.”
 
Dee laughed at Ryo's comment, nodding his head. “That's what you do to me. Oh man, you should have seen the look on my partner from back in my uniform days.”
 
Ryo laughed with Dee. “Big bad cop knocked up,” he remarked. “I think you're the rare exception in the NYPD. Not a lot of Carriers choose to get pregnant on the job.” When he saw the face Dee made and the other man starting to open his mouth with a smart comment, he added, “Well, not `on' the job.”
 
“I was going to say we need to try that next time.” He winked at Ryo, laughing. Imitating Ryo, he added, “If anyone is looking for me, I'm going down to the firing range to knock Dee up again.”
 
Both Dee and Ryo laughed.
 
When they were laughed out, Dee leaned over to kiss Ryo again. “You know what? I think Chibi's getting hungry.”
 
“I think we can so something about that,” Ryo replied, kissing Dee back. “Pancakes, eggs and bacon?”
 
“You know Chibi's tastes very well, Papa.” Dee grinned at Ryo.
 
“No, they're your tastes, silly.”
 
“She takes after her Daddy?” Dee asked with a goofy look on his face.
 
“Yeah, he does,” Ryo remarked, standing up. He kissed Dee's forehead and went back to the stove.
 
Dee got up to follow Ryo. “I can help, you know.”
 
“Nah. You sit and have some more tea, love. So which one this morning?”
 
“Um… all of it?” Dee replied.
 
“I can do that.” Ryo went over to the fridge to start taking out what he would need.”
 
Dee leaned back, watching Ryo. “If you insist. I'll just sit back, drink my tea and watch your gorgeous ass as you cook,” he said with a leer.
 
“Hey, I aim to please,” Ryo stated, leaning forward into the fridge and wiggling his ass enticingly for Dee.
 
“Careful there!” Dee warned. “You don't wanna make me drop my tea.”
 
Ryo laughed as he moved away from the fridge, closing the door with a swing of his hips. He set the items down on the counter and went to take an apron off a hook and put it on.
 
“Now it gets interesting.” Dee went over to the teapot, while rubbing his bump.
 
Ryo grabbed the mug from Dee's hand and poured it for him.
 
“I could have done that,” Dee said as he accepted the mug from Ryo. “You have all that to worry about.” He pointed to the food and pans. He kissed the side of Ryo's head.
 
Ryo pushed Dee gently away. “Go sit down. Read the paper, or we'll never get breakfast done.”
 
As Dee sat down again, he yawned. “I tell you, in a way I can't wait until next Sunday evening.”
 
“What happens next Sunday again?” Ryo asked, trying not to smile.
 
“We'll be done with all the parties, including the BIG one, and in our hotel room in Atlanta for the night.”
 
Ryo giggled. He realized he forgot to grab the butter and went back to the fridge.
 
As he passed, Dee leaned forward to pinch his ass. “We get to spend the night in the honeymoon suite of the Peachtree Plaza, and not see much of Atlanta.” Dee grinned up at Ryo.
 
“Now that sounds like a plan,” Ryo agreed, taking out the butter, shooting Dee an amused look and going back to the stove. “Of course, we'll have to go easy for Chibi, you know.”
 
Dee pouted, making Ryo laugh. “I can't wait,” Ryo said, smiling at Dee.
 
“Me too. And then the Royal Sands resort in Nassau. Wow! That looks really nice. I can't wait to spend a week there - you, me, the sun, water and… chibi.” He chuckled.
 
“Oh?” Ryo mused. He went over to Dee, rubbing Dee's stomach. “Sorry Chibi, but he's mine for a little bit longer.”
 
Dee laughed. “Oh hey. I still have that bag of fun from last night.” He grinned up at Ryo. “Think we can put some of it into our suitcases?”
 
“Depends. We need room for some of my goodies too.” Ryo leered at Dee, licking his lips. “Assuming we don't use `em all up by then.”
 
“Oh man, if we do use it all up by then, I might be too tired to make it to the wedding,” Dee exclaimed. “Besides, I got a Honeymooners Kit as a gift from everyone. To be used on the honeymoon.” He laughed.
 
“Well, there's always that. Okay. So we won't use up everything before the honeymoon, but we could have fun trying our best,” Ryo remarked with a wink.
 
“I love how you think!” Dee agreed.
 
“Speaking of honeymoon, tomorrow night we really should start getting packed and ready,” Ryo said. “Because the rest of the week, we have too much to do. And before you know it, we'll be eating breakfast with our family and friends and the car will pull up… and we best be packed when we leave for the airport.”
 
Dee groaned. “You had to remind me. Agreed. And at least this week will go by fast.” He bounced a little. “We're going to be married before we know it!”
 
Ryo went back over to Dee and hugged him. `Yes. Yes we are. Then we'll just have Chibi's birth to look forward to.”
 
Dee hugged Ryo back, kissing him. “Yeah, huh?”
 
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++
 
LATER THAT DAY:
 
“Hi Uncle Rick,” Ryo greeted as he let his uncle into the apartment. “What brings you here so early?”
 
Rick pointed down. “Them. They felt left out of things the last couple of days.”
 
Before Ryo had a chance to look where his uncle was pointing, he heard a sweet voice exclaim, “Cousin Ryo!” Dani stood before him, holding her arms up.
 
Ryo laughed and picked Dani up. “Well, hello there, angel,” he greeted his little cousin. “Did you have a good time at your sleepover this weekend?”
 
“Yeah,” Dani replied with a nod. She hugged Ryo, kissing his cheek. “Mommy's getting prettied up for the wedding.”
 
“Yes, she is,” Ryo said, smiling.
 
“Mommy doesn't need it,” Stefen said, now standing before Ryo and looking up. “She's already pretty.”
 
“Yes,” he laughed. “Your mommy is very pretty. But she wants to look prettier.”
 
“Hi Cousin Dee!” Dani greeted with a wave. She was still in Ryo's arms and looking over his shoulder as Dee approached the group. She wiggled, making it known she wanted Dee to hold her.
 
“Why don't you let Dee sit down, then he can hold you, baby girl,” Rick said to her.
 
Dani pouted.
 
Ryo chuckled and kissed her cheek.
 
Stefen waved to Dee. “Look Dani!” he exclaimed. “You really can see the baby now! Like Cassie's mommy.”
 
Dee looked down at the young boy and laughed. “Hey Stefen,” he said, ruffling the child's hair. He leaned over to kiss Dani on the nose. “Hi sweetheart. You want to sit on the couch with me a bit?”
 
“Window, please.”
 
“Alrighty. Window seat then.”
 
Ryo shook his head, grinning. “Let's go. Then you can take your coats off.”
 
“Okay,” Stefen said, walking next to Dee. “Is Bikky here?”
 
“You'll see Bikky at the restaurant,” Ryo said, carrying Dani to the window seat. “He's at Carol's right now.”
 
“Are we going to see Carol too?” Dani asked as Ryo put her on the window seat next to Dee.
 
“Yes, we are,” Ryo said.
 
“Yay! I like Carol!” Dani exclaimed.
 
“Good!” Dee said, chuckling. “We like her too.” He winked at Ryo, who laughed.
 
Stefen already had his coat off, and Rick was taking it from him, along with his hat. Ryo helped Dani with her coat.
 
“I'll get that,” Rick said, taking Dani's coat and hat from Ryo.
 
Dani crawled onto Dee's lap and hugged him. “Hi Dee!”
 
“Hello cupcake,” he said as he hugged her back.
 
“Can I say hello to the baby?” she asked.
 
“Sure thing. You can say hello to your cousin.” Dee looked up and winked at Ryo, who watched with amusement.
 
Rick returned from hanging up the coats and laughed as he saw both of his children petting Dee's tummy.
 
“What's your shirt say?” Dani asked.
 
“It says baby on board,” Stefen read, replying for Dee.
 
Dani clapped. “YAY! Baby!”
 
The adults laughed at the little girl's excitement as Dee hugged Dani.
 
“Does anyone want juice?” Ryo asked Stefen and Dani.
 
“Me!” Stefen said, raising his hand.
 
“Me too!” Dani turned to look up at Ryo.
 
“What they said,” Dee also answered.
 
“Alrighty then,” Ryo said. “Rick, can I get you anything?”
 
“I'll go help you, and see what you have to offer,” Rick replied with a wink.
 
“Knock yourself out,” Ryo remarked. He headed for the kitchen with his uncle following.
 
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++
 
Inside the kitchen, Ryo took out glasses for the adults, a plastic cup for Stefen and the sippy cup they kept for Dani.
 
Rick took apple juice from the fridge and put it on the counter. “Ryo, I want to talk to you about something,” he started. “It's not bad,” he quickly added when Ryo looked up sharply to look at his uncle in concern.
 
“Then what?”
 
“Look son, I'm touched and honored that you asked me to be your best man. And if that's what you really want, you know I'd do it for you. However, I won't be offended if you want to ask Eddie. At the time you chose me, you had no idea how to contact him.”
 
“Rick,” Ryo sighed.
 
“Hey, don't worry. He was your best buddy in the Army, and you were his best man. Shit happens sometimes, and you just lose touch with people. But he's here in New York with his family. He's going to be at the wedding. Why not ask him to be your best man?”
 
Ryo studied his uncle. “Are you sure you won't take offense?” he asked.
 
“Hell no, Ryo.”
 
“But he'll need a tux,” Ryo started to think aloud.
 
“He's about Drake's size, and I know there's an extra tux for each of your guys in case of need. So I'll make sure he gets to Marcel tomorrow for a fitting. Meanwhile, if you don't mind, I'll still wear mine at the wedding. Then I know I'll look sharp escorting your beautiful aunt after she gives you away.”
 
Ryo smiled brightly at his uncle. “Rick, you're the greatest. Thanks!”
 
“Well, I try. Look, why don't I bring out the drinks while you call Eddie and tell him he has an attendants' party to be at tonight.”
 
“Oh God, now I'm going to have to get something for Eddie before then!”
 
Rick patted Ryo on his back. “Relax. Come sit with everyone a bit, then you run out while I hang out here with Dee. That's why I made sure we got here early. And surely with all those shops around here, you'll be able to pick out something within a few blocks.”
 
“Yeah. You're right. Sounds like a plan. Thank you again, Uncle Rick.”
 
“Not a problem. Now let's go see what my two heathens got Dee into,” Rick remarked with a chuckle.
 
“Who knows,” Ryo replied, rolling his eyes. He grinned at his uncle. “He's as much a sucker for those two as he is for the kids at the orphanage.” He winked at his uncle. “And to think he once tried to make me believe that he hated kids.”
 
“Considering current situation, let's be thankful that was all an act,” Rick said, helping Ryo with the drinks.
 
Ryo laughed. “Tell me about it!”
 
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++
 
The attendants' party was held in a restaurant in the South Street Seaport area, a few blocks from Bridgewaters and where the ceremony would take place in less than a week.
 
Dee had already started counting the days, hours and minutes until the time he was scheduled to walk into the atrium with Mother.
 
The rest of Sunday went by fast for both Dee and Ryo. Ryo had explained to Dee the almost last minute change of Ryo's best man. Not long after that, Ryo went out to buy Eddie a gift for the party, while Dee and Rick kept Stefen and Dani amused. Dee had also called the restaurant about adding an additional place setting. Ryo returned with enough time to wrap the gift before he had to start to get ready for the party.
 
The women of the wedding party arrived after the men. They pulled up to the seafood restaurant in a stretch limo. If the excited chatter and laughter of the women as they entered the upstairs party room were any indication, they had a great day at the spa. Madam Chantrel had also joined them at the resort for the final fittings of their gowns.
 
Only the members of the wedding party were invited that evening. If a spouse or S.O. was not in the wedding party, they were not invited. One of Ryo's cousins was not at the party as she was to arrive during the week with the rest of Ryo's family from Japan.
 
Mother arrived at the restaurant with the orphans who were to lead off the processional. The children were very excited about being fitted for the new clothes they were to wear and all the pampering they received in the past week in preparation for the wedding. The girls talked about feeling like princesses in the outfits that were selected for them, making Dee and Ryo smile. Mother told them that the wedding seemed to be the main topic among the children in the last few weeks.
 
As their guests arrived, they found among the place settings brightly wrapped gifts with matching envelopes. The wrapping paper, envelopes and seating cards were coordinated, using the wedding colors. Along with the colorful design, the pattern included a large “L-M” in fancy scroll letter, followed by “Dee & Ryo” in smaller letters and the wedding date printed under their names. The cards inside the colorful envelopes matched the wrapping paper and had handwritten, personal notes from both Ryo and Dee, thanking those who would be part of their wedding.
 
Dinner was sit down affair, giving their guests several dishes to choose from, and included a dessert bar. The dessert bar offered cakes, pies, puddings, Jell-O, cookies and some other treats in wedding colors, including personalized M&Ms with Dee and Ryo's names and the wedding date on them, truffles and petit fours coated in pastel frosting, and colored rock candy in glass containers that served as decoration as well as treats for the sweet tooth.
 
Everyone ate, talked and even did some karaoke by the end of the party. As their guests started to leave, they discovered Ryo and Dee had an additional gift waiting by the door for each guest. Everyone received a tote bag filled with goodies. The men's were basic black, but had a tag with Dee and Ryo's name and the wedding date. Inside were toiletries, including a bottle of that attendant's favorite cologne or aftershave. The women's and children's were in the same pattern as the wrapping paper except the name and date printed once. Inside the women's were facial and manicure products, and a bottle of a favorite perfume. The children's bags included small toys.
 
Dee and Ryo left last, satisfied that those who were part of their big day had enjoyed themselves that night and loved the gifts that they received.
 
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++
 
March 6, 2006
 
Dee had the day off, while Ryo had to go into work. Barry had offered to come by in the morning and pick Dee up, since he did not have to work until later that afternoon. Not long after Barry arrived at the apartment, they were joined by Yuki, Hide and Ken. They all went to have breakfast in a nearby café. After breakfast, they went with Dee so he could get his hair trimmed.
 
At first, Dee had thought of slicking his hair back with gel as he did when he would dress up for court. Ryo talked him into wearing his hair the normal way for the wedding. Dee decided he needed a trim so it would fall the right way on that big day.
 
By the time they left Dee's hairstylist, he got a call from Ryo.
 
“Hey babe,” Dee greeted.
 
“You sound like you're having fun this morning,” Ryo remarked.
 
“Yeah. I am. I'm in good company. In fact, it's easier to forget they're supposed to double as my bodyguards.”
 
“Well, no matter what the ultimate motive is, it is a day out with friends,” Ryo said. “And getting some things done for the wedding.”
 
“Definitely,” Dee agreed as the group walked down the street.
 
“Speaking of things for the wedding, I'm at 1PP right now and I should be done in a half hour or so. Want to meet me at the City Clerk's office for lunch?” Ryo asked.
 
Dee smiled brightly. “I'd love to,” he replied.
 
“Good! I'll give you a call when I'm on my way. Or if I get tied up here longer. But don't worry, Dee. As soon as I'm done here, we are getting our marriage license.”
 
“I'm not worried. I might start getting antsy if you get delayed. But not worried.”
 
Ryo chuckled. “It doesn't matter what time we apply for it today, we're still waiting until Saturday to get married.”
 
“Five more days,” Dee stated excited. “But I'll spare you the exact numbers.”
 
“Don't worry, love. I already know them. Hey, I'm getting called. Looks like they got my info. Better go and get this done with.”
 
“No problem, Ryo. The sooner, the better for us. So go.”
 
“I know you're with a group, but stay safe, Dee.”
 
“I will. I feel sorry for the fucker if he tries to grab me before my wedding.”
 
“I'll tell you what's scary,” Ryo said. “I believe you. See you soon, gorgeous.”
 
“Love you, Ryo.”
 
“I love you, too, Dee.”
 
Dee was smiling as he disconnected the call.
 
“I suppose we should start making our way toward City Hall?” Barry asked.
 
“You suppose almost right. We'll need to pass 1PP, so might as well go there and wait for Ryo to get out.”
 
His four friends shook their heads, laughing.
 
Ryo called as they were approaching 1PP, Dee and Barry pointing out landmarks to the three visitors. 1PP was situated next to the Manhattan bound exit ramp of the Brooklyn Bridge. As Ryo left the building, he found Dee and his friends waiting. Together, the group walked the two blocks to 1 Centre Street, where the office of the City Clerk was. When they were at 1PP, they were able to see the back of the building at 1 Centre Street, since it was across the street from Park Row. Barry offered to take Dee's college friends for a walk around City Hall which was across Centre Street, while Dee and Ryo went to file for their marriage license.
 
Ryo was about to start teasing Dee about glistening eyes when he realized his own eyes felt misty. The happy couple embraced upon receiving their marriage license and kissed, before heading out to meet up with the others for lunch at a nearby diner.
 
At the diner, they were joined by Kevin, Eddie and Akemi. The three had come from Eddie's fitting with Marcel and some sightseeing. Barry had to leave for work after they finished lunch. Ryo also had to head back to work, not wanting to push Chief approving an extended lunch. Ryo felt Dee was in good hands and went back to work without worrying about his husband-to-be. Dee was to play tour guide to his college friends and Ryo's Army buddies for the rest of the day. It was a bonus that Eddie was still an MP with the Army, and Kevin was with the FBI.
 
Once again, the day went by swiftly for Dee. They all were back at the apartment, joined by Bikky and Carol by the time Ryo got home. After dinner, Dee went to take a nap, while Ryo got to know Dee's friends more and continued to catch up with his friends' lives.
 
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++
 
March 7, 2006
 
Inside the arrivals area of the International terminal at JFK Airport, Ryo waited with Dee and Bikky for his family. The flight had already arrived not long after they got to the terminal. Rick had stopped by the 27th near the end of their shift to drop off his car for them to make a run to the airport. He told them to keep it until Friday, then assured the couple that he and Elena would see them the next evening for dinner with the family from Japan. Before he left, he made sure they understood that transportation had been arranged for everyone arriving that evening from Japan to their hotel, but Ryo's grandmother planned to drive into Manhattan with Ryo, Dee and Bikky.
 
“Are you nervous?” Dee asked as Ryo anxiously watched for the first of the arriving passengers to clear from customs. He rubbed Ryo's upper back soothingly as they waited.
 
“No. More anxious. I haven't seen Obaasan since I got out of the Army. A few of my cousins came to New York since, but even that was years ago. Before I met you.” He looked down at Bikky, who stood on Ryo's other side. He ruffled the boy's blonde hair. “I've sent them pictures of Bikky and you since I first had pictures to send, but this is the first time Bikky will get to meet his great grandmother.” He smiled fondly.
 
Dee also looked at Bikky for a moment when he realized no sound came from the otherwise loud teen. The two men shared an amused smile. Bikky's mouth was moving as he silently repeated the formal Japanese greeting he hoped he would not mess up when meeting his adopted father's family.
 
“Are you nervous?” Ryo asked Dee.
 
“I should be, but I'm not,” Dee replied. “I figured after I got Grandfather MacLean's seal of approval, everything else is easy.” He smiled at Ryo. “Besides, I have spoken to your family on the phone enough times. Especially in the last few weeks. So I'm really looking forward to finally meeting everyone. Particularly your grandmother.”
 
“Remember she likes when you call her Obaasan too,” Ryo stated. His smile grew and he hugged Dee. “I'm so happy, Dee!” he exclaimed. He leaned up to lightly kiss his soon-to-be husband. “My mom's family is flying all the way from Japan to be at our wedding.”
 
“That makes me happy too and….” Dee paused, catching his breath, then giggled. “I think Chibi is happy too and can't wait to meet her great-grandma, and aunts and uncles and cousins.”
 
Ryo's grin grew. He ruffled Bikky's hair again and laughed. Bikky looked up, but could not find it in him to complain about the hair ruffling or to tease his fathers about their public displays of affection. It was a big moment for Ryo, and Bikky wanted to do his part in assuring it was perfect. Instead he simply asked, “Dee, we did remember to put the weights in his shoes?”
 
Dee laughed, hugging Ryo again. “I better keep a good hold, just in case. You secure him down on your side too,” Dee joked with Bikky.
 
A few minutes later, Ryo recognized one of his cousins walking with her husband. They were talking to someone behind them. His cousin saw Ryo and squealed with delight. “Ryo!” the Japanese woman cried out, running for him. Before Ryo had a chance to move, he found himself being hugged by his excited cousin.
 
“Emiko, you were just a baby when I saw you last,” he said in Japanese, teasing her.
 
“Oh you! I was not a baby,” she pouted.
 
“Still, you grew up and you have a family now,” Ryo said with a grin, continuing to speak to her cousin in Japanese. Emiko was a year younger than Ryo. The two cousins lived in the same house during their first five years, since her parents still lived with Akira Aoki and Ryo's parents also lived in the same house during their time they lived in Japan. The two stayed close over the years, even with distance. The last time Ryo had seen his cousin was when he went to Japan for her wedding a few months before he transferred to the 27th precinct.
 
“Yes. You have a family too. And you're going to be married soon.” Emiko looked over at the taller, dark haired man standing next to her and Ryo, who was smiling warmly at them. “Dei-chan,” she greeted, leaving Ryo's arms to finally meet the man who made her cousin happy.
 
“That's my very soon-to-be husband, Dee,” Ryo stated, still in Japanese. In English, he added, “And our son, Bikky.”
 
“Oh!” Emiko shrieked, looking up at Dee. “He's cuter in person,” she said in Japanese, hugging Dee. “Oh Ryo, you're so lucky!” She looked over to Bikky, who Ryo moved to stand in front of him. Emiko grinned. “And so is Bikky. You have a beautiful family, Ryo.” She started to hug Bikky. “Oh!” She glanced back at Dee, her eyes settling on the swell beneath the dark blue turtleneck sweater Dee wore. “The baby is too!”
 
Dee laughed as she still hugged Bikky while reaching out to pat Dee's tummy.
 
Someone cleared their throat behind Emiko.
 
“Forgive my rudeness!” she exclaimed. Emiko went over to the handsome man with dark hair who was shorter than Ryo, but towered over her. “My husband, Daito.”
 
Ryo and Dee started to greet Daito when all hell broke loose. They found themselves swarmed by Ryo's family, of all ages. It was a madness Ryo enjoyed. He was seeing his family from Japan again, meeting younger ones he had not met before, introducing his own son that his family had heard about for years, and watching while his family take Dee and Bikky into their fold.
 
Only one person Ryo realized he had yet to greet. As his family finished their greetings, they stood to the side and around their three hosts. Ryo looked over to see his grandmother watching with a smile on her face. She was dressed in traditional kimono in blues tones. Despite her age, she appeared regal to Ryo, presiding over her family. It was not her first trip to New York City, but the last time was to attend her daughter's funeral. Ryo knew why she would not come anymore. Finally she had a reason to find joy in a visit. Ryo could tell by her smile.
 
Their eyes met, Ryo's filling with tears of joy. She made her way to them. She took one of Ryo's hands and squeezed it, smiling at him. She reached up to caress his face reverently.
 
“Obaasan,” Ryo said, his voice cracking with emotion.
 
“Ryo.”
 
Ryo kissed the hand on his face.
 
She smiled up at him, removing her hand. “Chotto matte, kudasai*,” she said and turned to Dee. She stood before the man her grandson intended to marry. Her hands rested on each side of his swell and bent over slightly to kiss his belly.
 
Ryo felt his eyes sting again with tears. He did not mind. Happy tears were always welcome. He noticed Dee's eyes were misty and his face flushed.
 
“I've been wanting to do that since I first heard about you, little Chibi,” she spoke to Dee's tummy in Japanese, using Dee's nickname for the baby. “Especially after seeing all the new photos of your Daddy and Papa.
 
Tears leaked from Dee's eyes and he had a knot in his throat, so deeply moved by Ryo's grandmother's acceptance of their situation. Ryo was wiping his own eyes by then. Bikky was gathered to stand with the rest of the family as they all watched.
 
Obaasan straightened her stance and looked up at Dee. Still in Japanese, she said, “I finally meet the man who breaths life into my darling Rayna's line.” She rested her hand on the swell again. “Her blood, our family blood flows in you now, Dei. You are an Aoki.” She bowed her head to Dee.
 
Dee lost all mind of formally greeting an elder. All he was able to summon up was to bow lower than her bow and graciously thank her for her blessings in Japanese. As he came up from the bow, the tiny woman with white hair hugged him, drawing Ryo into the embrace. After a moment, she held out a hand in Bikky's direction as if to summon him. He came over to the three and found himself included in the embrace.
 
Ryo's family continued to watch, some of the females wiping their eyes as the little family hugged.
 
When they pulled apart, everyone clapped and cheered, bringing attention from other passengers.
 
“Our bus is here,” Ryo's uncle announced in Japanese. “Ok&#257;san will go with you and we meet at the hotel later?”
 
“Hai Ojisan,” Ryo replied with a bow to his uncle.
 
Ryo's Uncle Nobu smiled at him and winked at Bikky. He patted Dee on his shoulder. In his native language, he said, “Great to finally meet your family, Ryo. Especially the American Japanese scholar here.” He winked at Dee.
 
Dee laughed as Bikky glanced up. “The wha?” Bikky asked, catching some of the pronunciation.
 
“I've been called many things though my life,” Dee remarked in Japanese, “but that is a first.”
 
“We will see you later,” Uncle Nobu said. He hustled the rest of the family, who were saying their temporary good byes while gathering their luggage.
 
Obaasan's luggage, except for her carry on and another bag, went with the rest of the family. As his relatives went outside to board the bus, Ryo picked up the suitcase, smiling at his grandmother.
 
“I am so glad you are here, Obaasan,” he said in Japanese.
 
“I am glad too,” she said in heavily accented English. “But I suggest we speak in language to include your son.” She smiled at Bikky. “However, young man, I give you until 18 to learn Japanese, or you will be missing out on what I say after that.” She winked playfully at Bikky. She had a heavy accent, but it was obvious she was very fluent in English.
 
Dee and Ryo laughed, also smiling at Bikky, who tried hard not to grimace at the idea of more studying and failing.
 
“He's been trying very hard to learn the basics,” Ryo said, “but he only had weeks since finding out you were coming.”
 
“Besides, studying is not one of Bikky's strongest point,” Dee added. “But he does his best and we're proud of him for that.” He grinned when he noticed how Bikky could not stop himself from smiling at them. “However, the chibi here,” he patted his tummy, “will be born speaking English and Japanese.”
 
Obaasan laughed delightedly. “That is my intent. Start them off young,” she said with an impish grin.
 
“Our baby will certainly recognize your voice,” Ryo said as they walked out of the terminal and onto the sidewalk. “Obaasan, can I leave you all here while I get the car?” he asked.
 
Obaasan grinned at Ryo. “I do not think I need to bond with family, Ryo. I also anticipate spending some quality time with just Dee, and Bikky, while I am here.”
 
Dee winked at the elder woman. “Well then, let's get some exercise, shall we. It's actually a nice night tonight,” Dee said with a laugh. He held his out for Ryo's grandmother to take, while Ryo handled her suitcase.
 
“Here's hoping the weather holds up to the weekend,” Ryo said. “But wait please.” Ryo took out his small digital camera from his coat pocket and took a photo of Dee and his grandmother as Dee escorted her along the sidewalk, with Bikky walking next to her.
 
“You are Japanese,” Dee teased, laughing.
 
“This is one of those moments that need photos,” Ryo stated as he started to lead them toward the parking structure. “I'm sure the family already has more to share with us.”
 
Obaasan and Dee laughed. “I vaguely recall the flashes during that mad rush back there,” Dee said, winking at Ryo's grandmother. The elder woman squeezed his arm and laughed more.
 
 
The trip to Manhattan from the airport found Ryo driving, his grandmother in the front passenger seat, with Dee and Bikky in the back. The ride was anything but silent.
 
“I think I should explain my reaction at the airport,” Obaasan said as they crossed the Brooklyn Bridge.
 
“It's okay, Obaasan,” Ryo assured her. “It's more than okay. It was beautiful.”
 
“You need to hear this, please. I cannot help to be overwhelmed about this baby. I do not mean to slight Bikky, and I intend to show him while I am here. But this baby is very special to me. It will not be my first great grandchild, but finally there is a grandchild to my beautiful Rayna. She was my first born, and the only one of my children not here with us. I prayed that I would live to hear you say you will be a father, Ryo. It does not matter if from a wife, a husband, or you carrying.” She looked back and smiled at Dee. “I also know many men who are Carriers choose to not. Even if they be gay. To hear the news that this beautiful man chose to carry your child makes this baby even more precious to me. I know Rayna and Frankie are overjoyed.”
 
“Obaasan,” Ryo started, once again overwhelmed with emotion and love for his grandmother.
 
“I only say the truth. I also see the baby is an addition to your lovely family. I will be staying for a few weeks, so Bikky, I hope that you do not mind spending some time with an old crazy Japanese woman while your dads go to their honeymoon.”
 
Ryo had to laugh, knowing she was making a dig at him. Many times on the phone, he would affectionately call her crazy.
 
“I'd like that, Obaasan,” Bikky replied.
 
Ryo thought that if he smiled anymore than he was, he might have trouble seeing the road. He had to wipe his eyes a few times whenever she spoke about his mother, and again when she mentioned his parents. He was glad they were not far from home as approached the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge.
 
“The wedding and reception sites are not far from here,” Ryo said to his grandmother, pointing south toward the South Street Seaport. “Over there. Near where that lighted pier is,” he added, indicating Pier 17.
 
“I cannot wait to see New York City again. I am certain you picked a very lovely place,” his grandmother said.
 
“We were over in Brooklyn, not far from this bridge when I found out that your grandson loved me,” Dee explained. “So this bridge is special to me. And our reception site has breathtaking views of the bridge.”
 
Ryo glanced in the rearview mirror at Dee. His fiancé lounged in the leather upholstery, seeming completely at ease with the elder Japanese woman he had met for the first time about an hour before. Ryo saw no sign of worry or anxiety from Dee. Despite the welcome he received into the MacLean clan, Dee still appeared somewhat nervous about the MacLeans, as if he feared he might do something to change their minds about him. It was nothing that anyone who did not know Dee very well would notice, but Ryo did, even when on the phone with Estelle.
 
Obaasan smiled happily. “I can see how much you love my grandson. I have always heard it in your voice when we spoke on the phone. I am grateful. Ryo deserves to be happy, and you make him so.”
 
Ryo found himself smiling more as he once again glanced in the rearview mirror to catch Dee blushing. “Isn't he just darling, Obaasan?”
 
Obaasan giggled.
 
“Oh he's just getting back at me for all the times he would blush when we first got together,” Dee said to Obaasan with a wink.
 
“You blushed first,” Bikky laughed. “On that first day, when Ryo invited you over to his place and help settle me in. You blushed like a doofus.”
 
“Shush up, rugrat,” Dee remarked.
 
“Obaasan, did we get to mention yet that Dee and I both have friends from Japan here for the wedding?” Ryo asked, hoping to prevent Dee and Bikky from starting to taunt each other. Even if it was just for fun, Ryo figured they could wait until his grandmother was there a full night before subjecting her to it.
 
“You do? We should invite them to dinner tomorrow night, ne e?” she stated.
 
“I think we will,” Ryo said.
 
“Sounds great,” Dee agreed.
 
“Are we almost at your place?” Obaasan asked. “I cannot wait to see the place you call home now.”
 
“You'll love it, Obaasan,” Ryo said. “It's an apartment, but you'll know that it is a home. We're almost there now.”
 
“I'm sure I will.”
 
Obaasan stayed at their place for most of the remaining evening. Ryo had made dinner for them. When his grandmother was ready to go back to the hotel, Dee was tired. So Obaasan said goodnight to Dee, telling him to get to bed. Ryo drove his grandmother to the hotel, staying a few minutes to talk to his aunts and uncles before heading home and joining Dee in getting a good night's sleep.
 
 
Ryo's family had rooms in a Japanese owned hotel near 34th Street on Park Avenue. The next evening after work, Dee and Ryo stopped off at the orphanage to pick up Mother, and then met Ryo's family, including Rick and Elena at the Kitano Hotel. During the day, they had invited Dee's college friends, Eddie and Kevin, along with Martha. Everyone got together for dinner and an evening of relaxing in Obaasan's suite, which was decorated in the traditional style of a Japanese home, as Ryo got to catch up with his family, and his family getting to know Dee and Mother more.
 
### ### ### ### ###
 
 
*Chotto matte, kudasai - I'm sure everyone knows basic Japanese, but just in case, this is translated as “One moment, please”.
 
A/N: I'm glad everyone enjoyed the bachelor parties. I tried my best to have each party suit Ryo and Dee, as I'm sure was exactly what Barry and Rick thought of too as they planned the parties. (Is it just me, or was Rick having WAAY too much fun at them? LOL!)
 
I'm currently starting to get the next chapter ready to send out for beta, so hopefully it won't be too long before the next update. I'm in the final stretch of finishing TUII with the draft chapters. 3 or 4 more chapters and then after a little break, I'll be starting TUIII.
 
Now a little extra for everyone: Here's what the wrapping paper (cards, etc) looked like from the attendants' party. I can't draw worth anything, but I can play with digital graphics. Hell, there might be a TU Wedding scrapbook kit available soon (but I didn't say that). Anyway, find the paper here: http://pics.livejournal.com/totally4ryo/pic/0001b409/g21
I'm going to update my profile with my LiveJournal. As we go into the wedding chapters, there will be some extra goodies posted there (some already there). So even if you don't want to read ahead, check out the posts with the extras. Plus there is a one shot on "That time", you know the time that got Dee in current condition in the first place.
 
AKASHA721 - I'm hoping to start updating sooner until the end of this fic. Hopefully, so wish me luck. Meanwhile, you better get that outfit out, `cause it's almost wedding time.