InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beads & Bones ❯ A Proper Burial ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Proper Burial
 
The sun was shining the day they found the armor and bones… so it was only fitting, Sango concluded, that storm clouds would threaten the evening they'd re-buried them.
 
`Chichi-ue,' Sango looked up, the few evening stars being overtaken quickly. `Are you watching over me right now? Are you disappointed in me? I've failed you in letting Kohaku escape…'
 
A chilly wind blew from the north, ushering the clouds lower and caressing her skin, raising goose bumps. After a moment, heated arms circled around her from the side.
 
Sango hated the wind - it covered the sounds of somebody sneaking up on her. Kirara hadn't moved from her spot on Sango's shoulder, though, so there were only a few people it could be.
 
“Houshi-sama?” Her voice held a hint of warning, tempered by sorrow. This was not the time to be playing foolish hentai games, especially ones she didn't enjoy. Besides, her father's remains rested not a stone's throw away. It would be disrespectful.
 
“It's perfectly acceptable to mourn, Sango.” Miroku brought his gloved hand up to her cheek, though when she peered over her shoulder, he was looking into the distance. “It honors your family that you are willing to let go.”
 
As the rain began to fall, she couldn't help but lean back into his warm embrace - and then curse herself for it.
 
`I am taijya. I am strong. I am in command of myself and my emotions.' Her bottom lip quivered as she eyed the graves - the newest ones darker than the others with fresh dirt. `They died in battle; though they were slain by-'
 
Sango diverted her thoughts - thinking of him would only cause more pain.
 
`Houshi-sama. Think of Houshi-sama.' He'd been so… considerate. From the honor of carrying her comrades' remains in his kesa to acting the monk as they were buried, Sango had been impressed. He'd made no overtures to her body, no perverted comments. Sango had seen his spiritual powers in action, but she'd never seen him so solemn as when he helped her lay the remains to rest.
 
The distraction did not last long as she realized, `My entire village lies here. All of them, except for me… and-' Even in the houshi's arms, she'd never felt so alone…
 
“We will destroy Naraku,” he continued, as though he were reading her mind. “We will take vengeance for your village and your family.”
 
Her shoulders shook. She never saw how his jaw hardened as he lowered his head to push her over the edge. “You will have Kohaku back, I promise you. Your family, your former life will not be forgotten.”
 
`Kohaku.' She turned and buried her face in his shoulder as the dam broke.
 
“It's just the rain,” she insisted, her muffled voice cracking as she choked on the lump in her throat. “It's just the wind.”
 
Miroku nodded against her temple and held her tight, saying a silent prayer that his promise would not be in vain.
 
A/N:
Originally posted to LiveJournal on June 14, 2009
Word Count: 495
Prompt: “Rain”