InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beads & Bones ❯ A Spring Afternoon ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Spring Afternoon
 
`It's finally spring!' Sango couldn't have been happier.  She hated winter and always felt she was growing flabby with inactivity; as most youkai and mortals alike settled in for the frigid weather. 
 
Everyone was ready to get back on the road, to hunt Naraku down for good; but today was a day for relaxation.  It was Kagome's birthday, and she was on the other side of the well, spending it with her family and InuYasha. 
 
Sango lay on her back on a hill next to Miroku, grinning at the puffy clouds.  Sure, problems hung over them: Miroku's kazaana, Kohaku's memories, Kikyou's continued half-existence, Kagome's double life… but today, Sango couldn't bring herself to worry. 
 
“A sword,” she pointed out a katana-shaped cloud drifting across the sky.  “And a neko-youkai, like Kirara.” 
 
Miroku chuckled at her enthusiasm.  It wasn't common for the overly-serious taijya to throw off her troubles.  He caught her grin as she turned to face him, looking so carefree. “Isn't it beautiful?” 
 
Miroku hummed his agreement, focused only on Sango, as she continued pointing out shapes in the sky.  She identified a heart and a bag like Kagome's before she realized Miroku wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to the clouds - he was staring at her. 
 
“What?”  He'd stared at her before… but not like this.  This wasn't lecherous in the slightest.  Sango felt a wave of self-consciousness.  She knew she was acting childish, but it felt so freeing… But most men wanted a refined woman. Suddenly certain that was the problem, she quieted. "I'm sorry," she muttered, flushing lightly.
 
Miroku noticed the change immediately and rolled to his side, taking her hand in his.  “What are you apologizing for?  Buddha forbid you enjoy yourself once in a while,” he teased, a bit nonplussed when she didn't respond.  “Sango?  Is something wrong?”  He wondered if he had done anything to offend her… he hadn't even groped her yet! 
 
“It's just- I know you- I'm-,” Sango hated being flustered; she couldn't spit out a sentence and felt like a child all over again.  “I should go,” she finally decided, tugging at her hand to free it and stand. 
 
He tugged back as understanding dawned, refusing to relinquish his grasp.  “The day is beautiful,” he repeated her comment from earlier.  “Do you know what's most beautiful about today?”  She shook her head, still not trusting her voice.  “It's not the weather… it's you, Sango.  The brightness of your smile eclipses a thousand suns.”
 
Sango gasped. `Could he really mean that?' The lecher was well-known for surrounding himself with beautiful women; she'd known since joining the group she couldn't compare…
 
`As beautiful as the sun?' She felt she should make a tactical retreat before making a fool of herself again… but felt a mischievous need to repay the compliment. 
 
Bending over, she brushed her lips over his cheek, escaping his now limp grasp and jogging toward Kaede's hut - giggling happily at the dumbfounded look she'd left on Miroku's face.
 
A/N:
Originally posted to LiveJournal on June 21, 2009
Word Count: 500
Prompt: “Sun”